I saw one of these in my little backwater town ...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
in Mississippi this week. It had US GOVERNMENT plates on it. WHAT IN THE EVER LOVING HECK is a US Government employee doing driving one of THESE for the government HERE, or anywhere else? These things list from $73,000 to $89,000. You can pay for a LOT of gas for the difference in price between this and what a government employee OUGHT to be driving. ENOUGH ALREADY.

R1T - Rivian

• Sad
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
in Mississippi this week. It had US GOVERNMENT plates on it. WHAT IN THE EVER LOVING HECK is a US Government employee doing driving one of THESE for the government HERE, or anywhere else? These things list from $73,000 to $89,000. You can pay for a LOT of gas for the difference in price between this and what a government employee OUGHT to be driving. ENOUGH ALREADY.

R1T - Rivian
There’s at least one driving around starkville. No idea if it’s government plates- someone here probably knows exactly whose it is.
I had never heard of the brand or given it much thought at all until this thread though.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Your federal government cares zero about you and will drive whatever the hell they want.

Long gone are the days where people elected representatives who actually represent them. We just choose a letter. We elect the people the machine puts forth with our preferred letter (D or R).

There are 10 steps and 50 policies between who you elect and what government car you see riding around. So even if you cared about that car you'd never figure out which elected official made the choice on the policy that authorized that car.

I'm speaking specifically about federal government. State level is almost as bad but we still have all the control at the county/city level. Make your voice heard so your kids grow up knowing what a real government can do. Maybe they can save us one day at the state and federal level because we've screwed the pooch up to this point.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018

R1T - Rivian
Maybe since they couldn’t get people to buy them Amazon was throwing them in with the deals they were cutting with the States and counties to build warehouses.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
How do you know it’s a government employee? Might be an elected official.
Not too many US government elected officials in this neck of the woods. Only two I know of within 100 miles. I don't think they have access to US government moter pools. Nor would they have been driving themselves alone in a pickup in a lone US government vehicle. Had to be relatively low rank civil service here. Driving a dang luxury vehicle. Lowest bid my ..............

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe since they couldn’t get people to buy them Amazon was throwing them in with the deals they were cutting with the States and counties to build warehouses.
Georgia subsidized $1.5 Billion (with a B) for them to build their assembly plant.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007

R1T - Rivian
Because they have to go electric makes it okay.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The big surprise on my part is that Government fleet EVs have made it to Mississippi this soon.

Biden committed to making the entire government fleet EVs via executive order not even a week after he was inaugurated and there were stories as recent as this past fall about how it was happening slower than desired.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The big surprise on my part is that Government fleet EVs have made it to Mississippi this soon.

Biden committed to making the entire government fleet EVs via executive order not even a week after he was inaugurated and there were stories as recent as this past fall about how it was happening slower than desired.
Maybe he just forgot about it.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Joe Biden Reaction GIF

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Maybe he just forgot about it.
Likely so. Or probably expected that the move was ineffectual and wouldn’t work out to anything and in the meantime…

…POTUS might just be grinning since he’s got gubmint EVs in Mis’sip just a little over two years after his executive order.

Gubmint EVs means that there’s at least some support for whatever issues may develop already so expect to see more EVs on the road.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

R1T - Rivian
Well.. there are a crapload of federal employees with a legit need for a pickup truck to do their work.

So when the current administration decrees on a whim that the federal fleet will be all electric you’re going to see things like govt employees driving a Rivian because there aren’t many choices for an EV truck and they’re all ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Well.. there are a crapload of federal employees with a legit need for a pickup truck to do their work.

So when the current administration decrees on a whim that the federal fleet will be all electric you’re going to see things like govt employees driving a Rivian because there aren’t many choices for an EV truck and they’re all ridiculously expensive.
Yep.

One thing I’m kind of wondering is if a consequence of this is going to be that increased production means that EV trucks will become less expensive or will they still be playthings for Fishwater and his friends… **

• Haha
Reactions: Fritz!

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Yep.

One thing I’m kind of wondering is if a consequence of this is going to be that increased production means that EV trucks will become less expensive or will they still be playthings for Fishwater and his friends… **
As long as our manufacturing keeps purposefully declining and our infrastructure is continually neglected and, also, purposefully declining the cost of everything will continue to rise. Look at Venezuela for what is planned for this country. Might want to keep an eye on Africa too for your next "pandemic'.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
- if a Rivian was purchased because a department was required to purchase an EV truck, thats dumb and there should be an exception in place for trucks/vans if needed.

- I generally dont have an issue with EVs that are purchased if they are within a department's budget, same as an ICE vehicle. Vehicles are needed and have to be replaced, its just reality. Purchasing a $75k EV truck, even if its within a department's budget, seems wasteful.

- the claim that we are becoming Venezuela is comical. That threat has been a popular one to throw into a conversation for a couple decades now and there is simply no evidence that we have become Venezuela nor that we plan to become Venezuela. Scare tactics are weak.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

Maybe that’s bc those agencies in need of new trucks hadn’t budgeted for the incredibly higher price tag and had to just buy the traditional truck until the next round of purchases.

In my experience with federal agencies, they’ve never moved slow at buying and spending more money. They like to operate right at the cusp of running in the red so they can justify a larger budget the next go around.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Purchasing a $75k EV truck, even if it’s within a department's budget, seems wasteful.
Try finding an ev truck that would be suitable for somebody like a federal game warden for less than $75K.

I’ll save you the clicks… you can’t.

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

willi13

Sep 24, 2003

R1T - Rivian

Attachments

• 878E10B0-6607-4E96-A5AC-2C760476217C.jpeg
    878E10B0-6607-4E96-A5AC-2C760476217C.jpeg
    653.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
- if a Rivian was purchased because a department was required to purchase an EV truck, thats dumb and there should be an exception in place for trucks/vans if needed.

- I generally dont have an issue with EVs that are purchased if they are within a department's budget, same as an ICE vehicle. Vehicles are needed and have to be replaced, its just reality. Purchasing a $75k EV truck, even if its within a department's budget, seems wasteful.

- the claim that we are becoming Venezuela is comical. That threat has been a popular one to throw into a conversation for a couple decades now and there is simply no evidence that we have become Venezuela nor that we plan to become Venezuela. Scare tactics are weak.
"comical" tell that to the guy I saw at kroger yesterday. He had the back of his truck plastered with stickers noting every conceivable conspiracy theory known to man. I can only assume he was there to buy more tinfoil...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

R1T - Rivian
I respectfully disagree with your viewpoint and believe that government officials driving electric vehicles like the Rivian truck is a positive step towards a more sustainable future.

As we all know, climate change is one of the biggest challenges that our planet is facing, and transportation is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. By driving electric vehicles, government officials can lead by example and encourage the adoption of sustainable transportation practices.

Moreover, the Rivian truck is a highly efficient and environmentally-friendly vehicle that uses clean energy to power its electric motor. It has a range of up to 400 miles per charge, making it a practical choice for government officials who need to travel long distances as part of their work.
Additionally, Rivian is an American company that is based in Michigan, and its production facilities have created thousands of jobs in the United States. Supporting American-made electric vehicles like the Rivian truck is also an important step towards strengthening our economy and creating a more sustainable future.

In conclusion, I believe that government officials driving Rivian trucks is a positive step towards promoting sustainable transportation practices, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and supporting American-made electric vehicles. Let us embrace these positive changes and support the transition towards a more sustainable future.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Yep.

Where has he been. I have not seen him post since the move.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

I guess so. I wasn't aware of the decree. That's just WRONG. A government guy in a truck ought to be driving a bare bones whatever supplied by the lowest bidder, not a $90k luxury vehicle.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Try finding an ev truck that would be suitable for somebody like a federal game warden for less than $75K.

I’ll save you the clicks… you can’t.
See my first point for this.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I respectfully disagree with your viewpoint and believe that government officials driving electric vehicles like the Rivian truck is a positive step towards a more sustainable future.

As we all know, climate change is one of the biggest challenges that our planet is facing, and transportation is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. By driving electric vehicles, government officials can lead by example and encourage the adoption of sustainable transportation practices.

Moreover, the Rivian truck is a highly efficient and environmentally-friendly vehicle that uses clean energy to power its electric motor. It has a range of up to 400 miles per charge, making it a practical choice for government officials who need to travel long distances as part of their work.
Additionally, Rivian is an American company that is based in Michigan, and its production facilities have created thousands of jobs in the United States. Supporting American-made electric vehicles like the Rivian truck is also an important step towards strengthening our economy and creating a more sustainable future.

In conclusion, I believe that government officials driving Rivian trucks is a positive step towards promoting sustainable transportation practices, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and supporting American-made electric vehicles. Let us embrace these positive changes and support the transition towards a more sustainable future.
Lol, what AI chatbot did you use for that?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Rivian stock is cratering and our government is quietly trying to prop them up....Duh

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The next Fed chair is going to be hired based on DEI considerations instead of monetary acumen according to the white house press secretary.

Remember when people complained about everyone who played tee ball getting a trophy? Remember how we laughed at those hard asses and told them to lighten up. Maybe we should've listened.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I guess so. I wasn't aware of the decree. That's just WRONG. A government guy in a truck ought to be driving a bare bones whatever supplied by the lowest bidder, not a $90k luxury vehicle.
Man, you definitely have a lot of respect for a "government guy". They are just doing jobs. Your beef is with Congress, not looking down your nose at government employees.

And of course, it all comes back to you looking out for yourself again, since you own your own business and hate the government, the same government that enables people to own their own businesses and thrive. If you had interest in Rivian, would you be mad right now?

I don't understand your anger here. You want to complain about the US sending billions overseas? Fine. But doing business in the US is not some sort of criminal offense. This swamp draining mentality is ridiculous, or at least b1tching about it is. The government is a reflection of YOU, and me, and all of us.

Reactions: Hot Rock

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I look forward to the day gas cars are phased out for cleaner air and water. However they're being pushed too hard at this early juncture because the technology of manufacturing these EV's needs drastic improvement as the nasty mining operations are horribly bad for the environment and require twice the emissions than to manufacture a gas car when you also consider these batteries are manufactured in China, S. Koea & Japan where the huge amounts of electricity needed come from coal powered plants. The issue of what to do with these batteries once they've run their course hasn't been figured out either. Only once did I have the luxury of having a company car but they were Ford Tauruses and usually already had about 20K miles on 'em when my company bought them. I don't like seeing our government waste that much money on Luxury EV's like that. Especially when it's having next to Dick to do helping the environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

R1T - Rivian
Tax the rich more. It’s the only answer.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Man, you definitely have a lot of respect for a "government guy". They are just doing jobs. Your beef is with Congress, not looking down your nose at government employees.

And of course, it all comes back to you looking out for yourself again, since you own your own business and hate the government, the same government that enables people to own their own businesses and thrive. If you had interest in Rivian, would you be mad right now?

I don't understand your anger here. You want to complain about the US sending billions overseas? Fine. But doing business in the US is not some sort of criminal offense. This swamp draining mentality is ridiculous, or at least b1tching about it is. The government is a reflection of YOU, and me, and all of us.
The "government guy" didn't buy that truck. How in the world did you come up with I was mad at him. So you are good with government workers driving $93k vehicles from a government motor pool? I also don't hate the government. I just hate it when it does stupid things. Buying that price of truck for a government pool is stupid.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I was in Madison (The City) the other day and saw a Ford F-250 4x4 with Madison County Schools stickers on it. The guy driving was wearing a suit so it appeared he was an administrative type. So what the heck is an admin type doing driving way more vehicle than he needs? Why would a suit in Mad. Co. Schools need that? That thing is close to what the electric truck cost. Depending on options it could cost more.

Some of you folks get all self righteous and upset when you see something that goes contrary to your political beliefs but just look the other way when the folks who support those beliefs are just as wasteful.

Waste is waste. No matter who's side you support.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if all government fleet vehicles will soon be required to be electric. Then DeSantis or Haley or whoever will cancel the requirement.

Could you tell what agency the Rivan was from? Should be some logo or something on the doors, and the government license plates give a clue (NASA starts with NA, TVA has TV I believe, etc). Probably wasn't a "gray ghost" from the GSA (probably not an official designation but used internally by employees who had to check them out).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The "government guy" didn't buy that truck. How in the world did you come up with I was mad at him. So you are good with government workers driving $93k vehicles from a government motor pool? I also don't hate the government. I just hate it when it does stupid things. Buying that price of truck for a government pool is stupid.

You mention the government pool and I was checking out the GSA availability and now I'm wondering where that Rivian was acquired since it's not listed. Several electric vehicles are there including a couple Teslas.

Link

I was in Madison (The City) the other day and saw a Ford F-250 4x4 with Madison County Schools stickers on it. The guy driving was wearing a suit so it appeared he was an administrative type. So what the heck is an admin type doing driving way more vehicle than he needs? Why would a suit in Mad. Co. Schools need that? That thing is close to what the electric truck cost. Depending on options it could cost more.

Some of you folks get all self righteous and upset when you see something that goes contrary to your political beliefs but just look the other way when the folks who support those beliefs are just as wasteful.

Waste is waste. No matter who's side you support.

He likely got it from the district pool and needed to transport something large.

That happens.

Folks in education having to fill in and do different tasks happens in normal times too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login