I saw one of these in my little backwater town ...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if all government fleet vehicles will soon be required to be electric. Then DeSantis or Haley or whoever will cancel the requirement.

Could you tell what agency the Rivan was from? Should be some logo or something on the doors, and the government license plates give a clue (NASA starts with NA, TVA has TV I believe, etc). Probably wasn't a "gray ghost" from the GSA (probably not an official designation but used internally by employees who had to check them out).
No logo on the truck that I saw. I didn't get the tag #. Around here the most likely thing is Corps of Engineers.

Reactions: BossDawg78

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Likely so. Or probably expected that the move was ineffectual and wouldn’t work out to anything and in the meantime…

…POTUS might just be grinning since he’s got gubmint EVs in Mis’sip just a little over two years after his executive order.

Gubmint EVs means that there’s at least some support for whatever issues may develop already so expect to see more EVs on the road.
We have EVs in Mississippi? The POTUS might consider some executive orders for education improvements before adding electric vehicles. That might've helped Mississippi more than having EVs for government vehicles

Ghost man 5295

Aug 24, 2012
Some of you people are morons. Federal groups are allowed to purchase vehicles for their fleet based on need of the Unit. GSA AutoChoice is the sight the federal government uses to purchase every vehicle in the gov't fleet. They work with auto manufacturers to get the best prices available for the gov't. For a company like Rivian, it is in their interest to get vehicles on the road so people will see them and become interested in them. I am a federal employee doing research in agriculture. My current vehicle is a Mustang MachE. The reason I chose it is it is all wheel drive and does very well on muddy roads and field roads. It also gives my 200K+ miles of maintenance free driving. All I have to do is plug it up once or twice a week over night. My research unit paid $53,000 for my Mach E. At the time we purchased the Mach E we also bought several F150 and several Ford Rangers. The F150s were $62K and the Rangers were $48K.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I've no idea why Tacodawg doesn't have a stake in this...
ChatGPT say:
As an AI language model, I can't know for certain why a specific individual named Tacodog would not participate in a topic about Taco Tuesday and ChatGPT without further information. However, I can speculate some possible reasons based on common sense and understanding of human behavior.
  1. Lack of Interest: It's possible that Tacodog may not have any particular interest in the topic of Taco Tuesday or may not be a fan of tacos in general. In this case, Tacodog may not want to participate in a discussion about something they don't have any interest in.
  2. Personal Reasons: It's also possible that Tacodog may have personal reasons for not participating in the discussion. For example, they may have had a bad experience with Taco Tuesday in the past, or they may not be feeling well and don't want to engage in any online discussions at the moment.
  3. Time Constraints: Another possible reason why Tacodog may not participate in the discussion could be due to time constraints. Perhaps they are busy with other obligations, such as work or school, and don't have the time to engage in online discussions.
  4. Shyness or Social Anxiety: Tacodog may be a shy or introverted person who is uncomfortable participating in online discussions with strangers. They may feel intimidated by the prospect of interacting with others and prefer to observe rather than engage.
  5. Lack of familiarity with ChatGPT: Finally, it's possible that Tacodog is unfamiliar with ChatGPT and doesn't feel comfortable participating in discussions on the platform. They may prefer to stick to other online communities that they are more familiar with.
Overall, there could be several reasons why Tacodog may not participate in a discussion about Taco Tuesday and ChatGPT, and it's difficult to know for sure without more information about the individual.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Your federal government cares zero about you and will drive whatever the hell they want.

Long gone are the days where people elected representatives who actually represent them. We just choose a letter. We elect the people the machine puts forth with our preferred letter (D or R).

There are 10 steps and 50 policies between who you elect and what government car you see riding around. So even if you cared about that car you'd never figure out which elected official made the choice on the policy that authorized that car.

I'm speaking specifically about federal government. State level is almost as bad but we still have all the control at the county/city level. Make your voice heard so your kids grow up knowing what a real government can do. Maybe they can save us one day at the state and federal level because we've screwed the pooch up to this point.
News flash:
There is no long ago forgotten time when the government actually represented the common person. It has ALWAYS been the way you describe. No matter the system, warlords, feudalism, capitalism, communism, “democracy,” totalitarianism… they ALL have been government by and for the powerful. There hasn’t been one yet that is there for the people.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I guess so. I wasn't aware of the decree. That's just WRONG. A government guy in a truck ought to be driving a bare bones whatever supplied by the lowest bidder, not a $90k luxury vehicle.
Eh. I disagree if only because bare bones doesn’t work for everyone which you should know.

A government guy who needs a truck has to have a truck that helps him fulfill his duties the best as possible & the Yugo of trucks ain’t gonna do that for a sustained period of time.

Quality may be more expensive but it usually lasts longer— that’s something my coworkers and I have had to deal with some extent the past few years when a former supervisor decided to emphasize getting more of certain items that were of less quality instead of fewer more expensive items (the difference between residential and institutional grade is pretty immense).

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Eh. I disagree if only because bare bones doesn’t work for everyone which you should know.

A government guy who needs a truck has to have a truck that helps him fulfill his duties the best as possible & the Yugo of trucks ain’t gonna do that for a sustained period of time.

Quality may be more expensive but it usually lasts longer— that’s something my coworkers and I have had to deal with some extent the past few years when a former supervisor decided to emphasize getting more of certain items that were of less quality instead of fewer more expensive items (the difference between residential and institutional grade is pretty immense).
You're right. instead, they bought these because they were electric not because they were the best option to fill the needs of the guberment worker. They make most go use the lowest bidder that checks all their boxes... why not here?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You're right. instead, they bought these because they were electric not because they were the best option to fill the needs of the guberment worker. They make most go use the lowest bidder that checks all their boxes... why not here?

I agree. EV definitely played a big role and was likely a required (if available) check mark.

There are still other check marks though— most likely check marks applicable to EVs and other check marks applicable to gas vehicles.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
If that truck was purchased with a government budget, that government should be rightfully shat on. What utility is a rivian providing that a base level ICE work truck can't provide? Nothing.

But let's expand this...Have you seen the price of half tons and 3/4 tons? I see plenty of folks driving high trim line trucks that go for 70+ that have no business financing those. Not even used in a business model or for utility. Just a pure image purchase no different than the mid life luxury Benz purchase - just a different image. It's insanity.

Reactions: mstateglfr

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
in Mississippi this week. It had US GOVERNMENT plates on it. WHAT IN THE EVER LOVING HECK is a US Government employee doing driving one of THESE for the government HERE, or anywhere else? These things list from $73,000 to $89,000. You can pay for a LOT of gas for the difference in price between this and what a government employee OUGHT to be driving. ENOUGH ALREADY.

R1T - Rivian
Probably a cop. And we know we can't defund these types of purchases, right?

• Haha

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Biden is coming for your gas burner and your low efficiency toilets

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
in Mississippi this week. It had US GOVERNMENT plates on it. WHAT IN THE EVER LOVING HECK is a US Government employee doing driving one of THESE for the government HERE, or anywhere else? These things list from $73,000 to $89,000. You can pay for a LOT of gas for the difference in price between this and what a government employee OUGHT to be driving. ENOUGH ALREADY.

R1T - Rivian
You know, all this is publicly available data. Rivan isn't listed as a supplier to the GSA, where all non-military Fed agencies are required to get their vehicles. Here's a list and cost of all GSA electric pickup trucks available for 2023
1677384017603.png
If you want to see everything GSA approved by the GSA just go here

• Haha

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You know, all this is publicly available data. Rivan isn't listed as a supplier to the GSA, where all non-military Fed agencies are required to get their vehicles. Here's a list and cost of all GSA electric pickup trucks available for 2023
View attachment 313391
So either L4 ironically isn’t paying attention to the official data and evidence at hand or an anti-vaxxer friend of his is tweaking him… **

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
View attachment 313391
Well, I saw it, and it definitely had US government plates. I had to look up the truck, I had never seen one before, but US government plates aren't that uncommon here. I know those when I see them. It's interesting that I hasn't shown up on this stuff you guys are bringing up. Interesting indeed. Now we do have a significant National Guard presence, and Air Force not too far away. My point stands if it was from either. In fact it's worse. EVs are in no shape, form, or fashion compatible with military use given the current state of the technology.

Last edited:

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Well, I saw it, and it definitely had US government plates. I had to look up the truck, I had never seen one before, but US government plates aren't that uncommon here. I know those when I see them. It's interesting that I hasn't shown up on this stuff you guys are bringing up. Interesting indeed. Now we do have a significant National Guard presence, and Air Force not too far away. My point stands if it was from either. In fact it's worse. EVs are in no shape, form, or fashion compatible with military use given the current state of the technology.
Could be they were testing one for possible addition to the fleet. If it can survive Mississippi that's pretty impressive.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That isn't at all what he posted.
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: paindonthurt

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
17 off.
Who am I rescuing? L4 misinterpreted a comment and I clarified the comment.
That happens all the time.
Yep.

You’re almost as pedantic as me. 😂

Some people don’t function well and can misunderstand things later at night (maybe like L4?) and others aren’t great morning people (like me for sure & perhaps paindonthurt too 😂)

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Personal vehicle used for govt business? I wonder if you can get govt plates for that.

Or, it could have just been that that vehicle is all that was available and someone got an exception approved. If so, more likely they worked the system than that it was strictly necessary. Probably just had to prove it was the only EV truck on the lot that day.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Personal vehicle used for govt business? I wonder if you can get govt plates for that.
When using your POV for gov bid'niss you get reimbursed $.62.5/mil (when a government vehicle is not available). It's a great deal even if you drive a gas guzzler. There are budgets and approvals involved.
Or, it could have just been that that vehicle is all that was available and someone got an exception approved. If so, more likely they worked the system than that it was strictly necessary. Probably just had to prove it was the only EV truck on the lot that day.
This was likely some type of limited test of EVs the AF/DOD (or another government agency) is conducting. I doubt this is a GSA vehicle. A GSA vehicle and a vehicle owned by the military are tagged differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login