Is Leach going to be handcuffed by Rogers?

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Serious question going forward. Rogers is about the most unathletic SEC record holder I can think of.

I'm trying to say this in the most diplomatic way I can but i feel like Rogers is going to get Leach fired if he stays another 2 years.

Rogers is in year 3, he's not going to improve much from this point. He's a warrior but his ceiling is limited.

How does Leach navigate benching the SEC record holder if he keeps returning? Of course Leach has to have a replacement on campus but assuming he can do that what's his play?

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
What I'm trying to say (again, diplomatically) is I love Rogers but if we're going to take a step forward he's going to have to improve and you don't see many giant leaps between year 3 and 4 or 5.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You don't bench him unless you have somebody beat him out.

What you do is you continue to develop him. Now hear me out on this. There is no rush.

Think about it. Leach won 8 games (closed in on 10) with THIS QB! If this QB is hampering this OFFENSE, and we won 8 (close to 10) with the toughest (maybe it was the second toughest) schedule in the nation, think about what we will do when those freshmen are ready!

Reactions: Indognito

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Wally Pipp was a very good First Baseman.

I will bring it closer to home. My teammate Chris Maloney was a very good player and had excellent knowledge about playing the game of Baseball. That is obvious from his long career in professional baseball. After I left he played FirstBase until a guy named Will Clark started getting reps at first.

Last edited:

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
That's my point. I honestly think Leach can win here but im not convinced he can do it with Rogers. However, Rogers has 2 more years of eligibility (I think).

Ive been a state fan long enough to know a consistent 7-5 is better than the alternative but the new world order demands wins now.

So can Leach outlast Rogers and finally prove he can win with the right QB or does Rogers break every SEC record on his way to Leach getting fired.

I'm aware there's an alternative where they catch fire and we're in a glory days type scenario but I've seen 3 years of results and I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: cytubb

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
For the record I'm ecstatic we won tonight. I want nothing but the best for MSU and all its players. Just trying to analyze the future and how we get to the expanded playoffs coming soon.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm trying to say this in the most diplomatic way I can but i feel like Rogers is going to get Leach fired if he stays another 2 years.

This is quite the reach. Don’t get me wrong, nobody is exactly thrilled about 2 more years of Rogers after the way his 2nd half of the season went. But he’s still good enough to not finish his career with 2 losing seasons (especially with next year’s schedule), and anything short of that will absolutely not get Leach fired.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
Now keep in mind I’m drunk just getting home from the game. Now having said that I can’t figure out why Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall (Who is dead!) demand wins now from the Mississippi State football program. A mystery.

• Haha
Reactions: AFDawg

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
It's about floors and ceilings right or upside downside risk? Leach knows what he has with Will but we'd be stupid to think he doesn't know his ceiling or upside. Will is a win now guy for Leach with very little downside risk. For a SEC coach in a concept offense there is much value to that.

There may be other QBs on the team with greater upside but also greater downside risk. I'd love to see Leach incorporate one of these guys into the game plan more where they can develop their upside and start to minimize their downside risk. I'm just a message board warrior though so what the F do I know anyway!

Reactions: She Mate Me

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
This is quite the reach. Don’t get me wrong, nobody is exactly thrilled about 2 more years of Rogers after the way his 2nd half of the season went. But he’s still good enough to not finish his career with 2 losing seasons (especially with next year’s schedule), and anything short of that will absolutely not get Leach fired.

You're most likely right. I'm probably falling prey to the internet crazies but so many people have been (prior to tonight's win ) calling for his firing or excited about the possibility of his retirement.

obviously he won't be fired this year (maybe retiring according to "sources"). My concern would be next year with a new AD. Maybe I just have little faith in the cigar boys to see the progress.

Again, I'm a Leach fan and think Rogers is serviceable enough (actually love the guy but I realize his limitations), just concerned that the people who actually make the decisions might not be as logical/rational as I am.

I guess that's my true question, can the powers that be see the future possibilities and wait out Rogers through 2 more years if he doesn't progress?

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Now keep in mind I’m drunk just getting home from the game. Now having said that I can’t figure out why Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall (Who is dead!) demand wins now from the Mississippi State football program. A mystery.
This is my favorite post of the night. You, sir, win the internet.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Not complicated. Rogers will improve his pocket awareness/ball control with another year of experience/practice and the offense will improve as a result. What other option is there?

Is there another QB on campus that will overtake him? No way.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
What I'm trying to say (again, diplomatically) is I love Rogers but if we're going to take a step forward he's going to have to improve and you don't see many giant leaps between year 3 and 4 or 5.
You didn't see serious improvement in Dak Prescott from his 3rd year (sophomore) to his 5th year (senior)?

And he keeps improving.

Will is the same age as sophomore Dak right now.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
No no no.
Apples and oranges.
There is no way in hell you can compare Will Rogers to Dak Prescott at any stage of anywhere.

Ok child.

I'm referring to the fact that players can continue to improve. That's not comparing Dak to Will.

And by the way, Will is a much more accurate passer than Dak was at the same age. That was a comparison.

And no, that doesn't mean I think Will will be anywhere near as skilled as older Dak. And he obviously wasn't born with Dak's athletic gifts.

Oct 7, 2022
Ok child.

I'm referring to the fact that players can continue to improve. That's not comparing Dak to Will.

And by the way, Will is a much more accurate passer than Dak was at the same age. That was a comparison.

And no, that doesn't mean I think Will will be anywhere near as skilled as older Dak. And he obviously wasn't born with Dak's athletic gifts.
👍🏻

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Robertson, from what I've seen, has such a long way to go. I think he might be the biggest disappointment on the team to date. Will has got to learn to protect the ball and throw it away instead of taking sacks. He doesn't have to be Cam Newton. He *should* be a much smarter player next year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Robertson, from what I've seen, has such a long way to go. I think he might be the biggest disappointment on the team to date. Will has got to learn to protect the ball and throw it away instead of taking sacks. He doesn't have to be Cam Newton. He *should* be a much smarter player next year.
He should’ve been a smarter player this year. i don’t know if DCs have just figured out how to fool him consistently on coverage or what. I was genuinely worried about a head injury his decision making was so bad last night.

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I can't see a grad transfer coming here unless Rogers is finished. Will would have to go pro or transfer to get a good grad transfer here. Prayers Will improves (A LOT).

kired

Aug 22, 2008
You aren’t wrong, with Harrell or Minshew he could win 10-11 fpgames next year. I’d like to see leach get a grad transfer q b out of the portal
Harrell had Crabtree and Amendola as WRs. We win 10 games this year with a Michael Crabtree

Reactions: She Mate Me

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Serious question going forward. Rogers is about the most unathletic SEC record holder I can think of.

Rogers is in year 3, he's not going to improve much from this point. He's a warrior but his ceiling is limited.

How does Leach navigate benching the SEC record holder if he keeps returning? Of course Leach has to have a replacement on campus but assuming he can do that what's his play?
From what I have noticed with Leach over the years. He is going to play he best guy regardless. I don't think he feels he has to play a guy. He will replace you in a heart beat.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Exactly. Will is the best we have at this point. When Sawyer is ready he will take that job away. Will has a lot of strengths and some definite weaknesses. Sawyer has to be able to make the reads and run this offense. He will be much more athletic and he is only a redshirt freshman. Redshirt freshman. Its Will until Sawyer is ready. Just need to mask his weaknesses somehow

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Think about it, can anyone name another coach who could take Will "stats" Rogers and win 8 games in the SEC west this year ?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. Will is the best we have at this point. When Sawyer is ready he will take that job away. Will has a lot of strengths and some definite weaknesses. Sawyer has to be able to make the reads and run this offense. He will be much more athletic and he is only a redshirt freshman. Redshirt freshman. Its Will until Sawyer is ready. Just need to mask his weaknesses somehow
I’m not sure Robertson will ever be ready. He’s been here 2 years, and even Will last night looks a lot better than he has in his limited snaps. If we don’t bring a transfer in, I think we’ve got 2 more years of Will.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

This ^ (minus the disappointment part)

If all he does is improve his pocket awareness and starts throwing it away more and not holding it too long causing drive killing sacks we win 1-2 more games next year. If he does that and gets better in other areas too we could make some noise.

Make no mistake though both are a talk task. There are a limited amount of people in the world who can play QB in the SEC let alone play it with the current success he's had.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Leach competes every position every practice. The idea that, for any reason, he wouldn’t play the best player available at every position is absurd. If anyone does better that Will, he will play.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login