Is Penn State the third best football team in the country?

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I think most would say Georgia, Oregon, OsU, and Texas are better. That still puts PSU at #5. That said, every team in the top 10 has shown weaknesses so far. Alabama and Tennessee were not that impressive. Oregon was shaky early on and are living off the 1 OSU win. Even Georgia was blitzed early by Alabama a few weeks ago. Miami and Iowa St are barely escaping in many games and over ranked IMO.

I think this really is the year where “everyone is beatable on any given weekend” is true.
absolutely any given weekend. teams are very different week to week. our run game now is quite different with Nick at well below 100%. as teams know this, they can key differently. the teams that are older with many SR+ players they also can be quite different to deal with. when the COVID year players disappear after 2025 we will see some differences.

Reactions: Psu00

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
A Georgia team that lost to a mediocre Bama team and should have lost to a bad Kentucky team….then a Texas team who got mauled by that same Georgia team. Maybe, just maybe, the SEC isn’t all that good this year.
Alabama is much, much better than "mediocre" (just as Kentycky is a lot better than "bad").

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Alabama is much, much better than "mediocre" (just as Kentycky is a lot better than "bad").
Did you watch the Kentucky game last night? Or any of their games? They’re bad. And Bama is only better than mediocre based on their past.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Did you watch the Kentucky game last night? Or any of their games? They’re bad. And Bama is only better than mediocre based on their past.
Well, if "mediocre" teams knock off Wisconsin in Madison by 32, are you expecting us to win it by 50? Alabama has played two top 10 teams, beat the #2 team in the country, and would be favored over all but about 5 teams in the country on a neutral field tomorrow. They are so far beyond "mediocre" that no one that can look at things objectively would ever have that take.

Kentucky would be a good one to peg as "mediocre"...they'd be favored by all but about 40 teams in the country, so a middle of the pack "Power 5" team.

Last edited:

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
No. But, we are the 2nd best team.
I think it's rather rich that Alabama beat then no. 1 Georgia, then loses twice, and is now ranked 15th, while Georgia beats no. 1 Texas and shoots up to no. 2 (Bama shot up to 1 after beating Georgia). Why not put Georgia at 1 again and tell the Ducks to suck it?

In a way, I am glad that college football is becoming more like the NFL - maybe we can get to the point where we don't need no steenkin' polls!

In another way, I hope this obvious snub against the Nittany Lions is treated by the team as it should be - and gets the team fired up to prove themselves.

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Well, if "mediocre" teams knock off Wisconsin in Madison by 32, are you expecting us to win it by 50? Alabama has played two top 10 teams, beat the #2 team in the country, and would be favored over all but about 5 teams in the country on a neutral field tomorrow. They are so far beyond "mediocre" that no one that can look at things objectively would ever have that take.

Kentucky would be a good one to peg as "mediocre"...they'd be favored by all but about 40 teams in the country, so a middle of the pack "Power 5" team.
They also lost to Vandy.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I think it's rather rich that Alabama beat then no. 1 Georgia, then loses twice, and is now ranked 15th, while Georgia beats no. 1 Texas and shoots up to no. 2 (Bama shot up to 1 after beating Georgia). Why not put Georgia at 1 again and tell the Ducks to suck it?

In a way, I am glad that college football is becoming more like the NFL - maybe we can get to the point where we don't need no steenkin' polls!

In another way, I hope this obvious snub against the Nittany Lions is treated by the team as it should be - and gets the team fired up to prove themselves.
Excellent.

Reactions: 84lion

Nits1989

Oct 29, 2021
This year is wide open. Oregon is beatable. They caught OSU at their home field. At OSU, different result? Probably. Georgia is beatable. Their QB is meh.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
This year is wide open. Oregon is beatable. They caught OSU at their home field. At OSU, different result? Probably. Georgia is beatable. Their QB is meh.
I was not at all impressed with Beck. He was better than Ewers but Ewers was being overwhelmed, not a fair comparison.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
We have no idea if we are the third best team, the 25th or the 1st. We have zero idea but we shall find out.

What I will say about this team, is that we are the most well rounded team we have had in awhile. We aren't great anywhere, except maybe TE, but we are very high level everywhere. O-Line, QB play, Running Backs, D-line, secondary. We are very good all over. My only questions are WR and LB. But even there, why does it matter if we don't have a go to WR if we have the best TE in the country. Any team can slip at any time, but, I have to say, this team gives me a lot of confidence.

Reactions: LionsAndBears

AvgUser

Oct 7, 2021
I can’t find the link, but i was passing time yesterday. I clicked on an ESPN link and it was ratings from about 6 or 7 college football writers. I didn’t recognizer the names either.

Anyway, one person did not have PSU in their top ten.
A couple or three had MIami as #2 or 3
PSU was usually 6-7 in the eyes of this pane

(this was all before yesterdays games)

I thought it was “interesting” how little respect PSU received.

Frankly, I’d rather PSU be ranked about 7th or 8th right now. :)

As said above, Just Win and everything will take care of itself

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I can’t find the link, but i was passing time yesterday. I clicked on an ESPN link and it was ratings from about 6 or 7 college football writers. I didn’t recognizer the names either.

Anyway, one person did not have PSU in their top ten.
A couple or three had MIami as #2 or 3
PSU was usually 6-7 in the eyes of this pane

(this was all before yesterdays games)

I thought it was “interesting” how little respect PSU received.

Frankly, I’d rather PSU be ranked about 7th or 8th right now. :)

As said above, Just Win and everything will take care of itself
I'm sure that those were projected playoff rankings that you were seeing. You were likely reading this...

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I prefer the talking be done on the field. Fortunately, there's a playoff now that renders all these dumb polls moot.
The polls are not completely moot. They will be used to determine the at large playoff participants.
As an example, Notre Dame cares what the polls say.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
The polls are not completely moot. They will be used to determine the at large playoff participants.
As an example, Notre Dame cares what the polls say.
The Selection Committee determines that, not the traditional polls. We'll start hearing from them in 2 more weeks.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
The Selection Committee determines that, not the traditional polls. We'll start hearing from them in 2 more weeks.
I'll be suprised if the polls put ND at 12 or lower and the selection committee puts them at 13 or higher.
I think the committee uses the polls a lot. (Even if they deny it)

Reactions: 84lion
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login