James Franklin

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Rhule for one

His guaranteed money is 74 million over 8 years. Look, I don't really give a ****. If James stays, he'll get a bump after this year. His agent isn't gonna let him slide below #12. If he leaves, PSU can't afford to bring in a no name hopeful to replace him. So they'll pay between 6.5 and 8 M A year. If it's your fantasy to find a discounted coaching staff i understand.
The $9.25mm is the average of Rhule's contract over its eight year term. It his heavily backloaded because apparently he, his agent, and the folks at kNU thought they could minimize the impact of the offset language in his contract with Carolina. Unfortunately for them they chose the wrong dog with whom to pick a fight.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
But I think he's got that team moving in the right direction. Having Raiola for another 2-3 years is big.
I don't disagree. But the question under discussion is whether there is a coach who gets fired from his old gig and immediately is paid top dollar by a new employer. Rhule's contract at kNU doesn't quite make it. That's not to say that he doesn't have tremendous success and get a revised contract that puts him at or near the top, but he wasn't there out of the box.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

The $9.25mm is the average of Rhule's contract over its eight year term. It his heavily backloaded because apparently he, his agent, and the folks at kNU thought they could minimize the impact of the offset language in his contract with Carolina. Unfortunately for them they chose the wrong dog with whom to pick a fight.
He gets all the money regardless though, right?

Reactions: Marshall2323

Auxgym

Oct 13, 2021
I saw three things yesterday postgame that have totally affected my view of James Franklin. First, was the win. Second was when he broke off his postgame interview to give the kicker a sincere embrace with private words. The third was Drew Allar's post game interview where he sung his praise and loyalty to his coach. That was enough for me. I'm now all in with CJF.
You forgot when he went to midfield to capture the flag....

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
I trust what I see with my eyes, hear with my ears and what the guys closest to him think of him. All of these tell me that Franklin is a very good man, a very good coach and a very good representative of PSU.
Always has been since day 1. Unfortunately many seem to ignore it or not see it. We are lucky to have him.

Reactions: LionsAndBears

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021

Tyseer Denmark when he sees coach coming.

baby GIF

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
He gets all the money regardless though, right?
What money? Carolina isn't paying him. If Nebraska fires him, he gets 90% of his base. Right now he makes somewhat more than half of what Riley does and a mil and a quarter less than Franklin.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
After a win he probably is not as good as we think. Just like after a loss he is probably not as bad.

I heard that before from someone.

Last edited:

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
Typical negative nabob. Every time the team loses it’s because Franklin “doesn’t have it on the sidelines”. I challenged this board to tell me what strategic decision Franklin made which cost them the Michigan game two years ago (the one where a Michigan TE took a simple crossing pattern 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage for the determine TD late in the game) and never received a response. My favorite was the reporter who said Franklin’s decision to punt on 4th and short after being down 7-0 early in the MSU game a few years ago in the snow “led” to MSU then driving 99 1/2 yards to make it 14-0 after the punt was downed on the 1/2 yard line. Like all coaches, Franklin makes strategic mistakes but sometimes things don’t work out due to lack of execution or because someone on the other team made a good play.
The decision from yesterday that I keep coming back to is kicking the game tying FG with the ball on the 1.

I get it. But at the same time, do we really not go for the lead in that situation, and if we don’t convert, USC is working out of their end zone? Hmmm…

I didn’t like that call at the time, and even with the W, I’m still not sure I like it.

Calabrin

Oct 16, 2022
We all want PSU and CJF to excel.....skeptics, advocates, and everyone in between

I would have punted on 4th and 7 and I would not have played for a field goal in OT with an inexperienced kicker

But both decisions worked out great

I am HAPPY about this. I am glad CJF's decisions turned out well

Some of you guys act like the skeptics don't want PSU and CJF to win....it's ridiculous
I think they had to go for the 4th and 7. Properly recognized as a do-or-die drive. The FG kick at the 1 was the one where I was like, “Really? We can’t dial up anything to grind out 1 yard for the lead?”

SoCalLion

Jun 23, 2022
Saturday's win was nice, but if I had to compare it to one other individual game, it would be 2016 Minnesota (also an OT game).

• A game Franklin HAD to win or else he might seriously start feeling his seat get hot.
  • A game where it wasn't looking particularly good for in the 1st half (Minnesota led 13-3 at the half), PSU had a barn-burner of a 3rd quarter, than it was nip-and-tuck the entire 4th.
  • A game that has the POTENTIAL to be a springboard to build the team's confidence and get them on a roll.
  • A game where the PSU QB had their best yardage performance to date, and also had a key, clutch 4th quarter drive with a couple memorable big plays.
  • A game that was scheduled THREE WEEKS BEFORE a home game vs Ohio State.

Will history repeat, as regards the Buckeyes and a potential B1G title? We'll know more in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
Saturday's win was nice, but if I had to compare it to one other individual game, it would be 2016 Minnesota (also an OT game).

• A game Franklin HAD to win or else he might seriously start feeling his seat get hot.
  • A game where it wasn't looking particularly good for in the 1st half (Minnesota led 13-3 at the half), PSU had a barn-burner of a 3rd quarter, than it was nip-and-tuck the entire 4th.
  • A game that has the POTENTIAL to be a springboard to build the team's confidence and get them on a roll.
  • A game where the PSU QB had their best yardage performance to date, and also had a key, clutch 4th quarter drive with a couple memorable big plays.
  • A game that was scheduled THREE WEEKS BEFORE a home game vs Ohio State.

Will history repeat, as regards the Buckeyes and a potential B1G title? We'll know more in 3 weeks.

That was the first time I heard a PSU coach get booed.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login