Kiffin is a top target per Brandon Marcello.... AN UPDATE

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
So who else has what it takes to make him leave Oxford?
That was what I was hypothesizing while back. If it could happen, who would it be? I wasn't trying to say he was necessarily going anywhere but we have learned time and time again that everyone has a price.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Year 3 of me hearing this. Fact is, there aren't many jobs that have any realistic chance of hiring Kiffin and Auburn is borderline at best. If I'm Cohen, I go after him 100% with all I've got. But Lane's no dummy. He knows what a cluster-17 Auburn is. And he won't even consider leaving for Nebraska or Arizona St. Wisconsin is another borderline job that's open.
Auburn is a better job than all those you listed. hes gone. They have a lot more money than ole miss. With nil and the portal he will have them winning in no time. boosters Are making this hire, Cohen isnt going to be involved

patdog

May 28, 2007
Auburn is a better job than all those you listed. hes gone. They have a lot more money than ole miss. With nil and the portal he will have them winning in no time. boosters Are making this hire, Cohen isnt going to be involved
Auburn's not enough better than Mississippi right now, although it's borderline. The school to watch out for is if/when Texas A&M fires Jimbo. Their NIL is going to dwarf Auburn's. I think Kiffin may wait for that job, and I'm guessing it won't come open until a year from now. We'll see cause I think Auburn would be fools not to go after him with everything they've got. Of course, this is the school that fired Malzahn and hired Harsin in the first place and just hired Cohen. So they're not exactly known for their good decision making.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Auburn's not enough better than Mississippi right now, although it's borderline. The school to watch out for is if/when Texas A&M fires Jimbo. Their NIL is going to dwarf Auburn's. I think Kiffin may wait for that job, and I'm guessing it won't come open until a year from now. We'll see cause I think Auburn would be fools not to go after him with everything they've got. Of course, this is the school that fired Malzahn and hired Harsin in the first place and just hired Cohen. So they're not exactly known for their good decision making.
So you’re saying aTm comes after Cohen next year to fire Jimbo?***

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Wrong again, ole miss is not in auburns league with nil or financial resources

kiffin is going to auburn, mark it down

• Haha
Reactions: Msdeltareb

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Wrong again, ole miss is not in auburns league with nil or financial resources

kiffin is going to auburn, mark it down
Yea if Auburn wants Kiffin he is gone. Kiffin has complained out loud about NIL at Ole Miss. He knows he's never going to win a national title there and he isn't going to be happy dealing with the ceiling there.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yea if Auburn wants Kiffin he is gone. Kiffin has complained out loud about NIL at Ole Miss. He knows he's never going to win a national title there and he isn't going to be happy dealing with the ceiling there.
If Auburn was Kiffin's only choice, yes, he would go. But A&M has a good chance of being open in a year. And really any program is a year or two away from potentially opening up. I'm not sure Kiffin wants to go to Auburn and then have to choose between leaving after one or two years or staying at Auburn.

But, if you exclude A&M, not sure any other desirable programs look likely to come open.
- Alabama - Not sure he wants to follow Saban.
- LSU - Kelly looks like he will be there a while
- UF - Napier is probably going to get three years at least unless he tanks next year.
- Miami - Cristobal is probably going to get three years at least unless he tanks next year.
- USC - Think those bridges are burned?
- Oklahoma - Could come up next year, but hard to bet on.
- Texas - Is Sarkisian's seat hot? Not really sure what their sentiment is over there
- FSU - How hot is norvell's seat. Certainly not tearing it up and I assume they would fire him if they knew Kiffin would take the job.

Really just depends on how patient Lane is willing to be. If Auburn tries to get a commitment from Lane before the A&M job comes open (which I think is likely to happen; auburn certainly can't wait and guessing Jimbo is going to make it through early signing period if nothing else), I think that makes it less likely he takes the job. But that's a bet that he is willing to run the risk of the right job not coming around for another 2 or 3 years, when he may no longer be the hot name.

I think there is a decent chance he ends up in the same place as Mullen. Just very few programs that are an upgrade and it may take a little while for the right circumstance to come up. For all people bitched about Mullen's job hopping, he essentially shut off discussions with Miami twice because they didn't want to give him a significant raise. He wanted to upgrade but until that last year, he wasn't going to leave except for a significantly better position.

Dec 23, 2017
Lane's parents live in Florida and I am guessing his kids reside with his ex (FL gal) in CA. I think Lane would entertain FSU or Miami in a heart beat. Kiffin replaced Pete Carroll at USC after a decade of winning NCs so I don't think Lane would mind replacing Saban at UA. He would take the Alabama job.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If Auburn was Kiffin's only choice, yes, he would go. But A&M has a good chance of being open in a year. And really any program is a year or two away from potentially opening up. I'm not sure Kiffin wants to go to Auburn and then have to choose between leaving after one or two years or staying at Auburn.

But, if you exclude A&M, not sure any other desirable programs look likely to come open.
- UF - Napier is probably going to get three years at least unless he tanks next year.
- Miami - Cristobal is probably going to get three years at least unless he tanks next year.
- Texas - Is Sarkisian's seat hot? Not really sure what their sentiment is over there
- FSU - How hot is norvell's seat. Certainly not tearing it up and I assume they would fire him if they knew Kiffin would take the job.

Really just depends on how patient Lane is willing to be. If Auburn tries to get a commitment from Lane before the A&M job comes open (which I think is likely to happen; auburn certainly can't wait and guessing Jimbo is going to make it through early signing period if nothing else), I think that makes it less likely he takes the job. But that's a bet that he is willing to run the risk of the right job not coming around for another 2 or 3 years, when he may no longer be the hot name.

I think there is a decent chance he ends up in the same place as Mullen. Just very few programs that are an upgrade and it may take a little while for the right circumstance to come up. For all people bitched about Mullen's job hopping, he essentially shut off discussions with Miami twice because they didn't want to give him a significant raise. He wanted to upgrade but until that last year, he wasn't going to leave except for a significantly better position.
Exactly. If he's content with being at the 2nd tier school in its own state (and that's all Auburn will EVER be in Alabama), he might take that job. But if he has higher ambitions, he waits for a job like A&M, Florida, FSU, Alabama, LSU, USC, Texas, Ohio St., Michigan, Georgia. May could add another name or two to that list, but Auburn isn't in that league. Edit to add: And they have a history of undermining and sabotaging their own coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022

Lane has been a job hopper his entire career. It's who he is. Nothing wrong with it, but he has made it clear in interviews that Oxford is nothing special to him. There's no blue water there and it's well known that he is basically a hermit in that town that doesn't go out. If a better program with a better chance to win calls him he's going, just like he always has.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Lane has been a job hopper his entire career. It's who he is. Nothing wrong with it, but he has made it clear in interviews that Oxford is nothing special to him. There's no blue water there and it's well known that he is basically a hermit in that town that doesn't go out. If a better program with a better chance to win calls him he's going, just like he always has.
Being a job hopper doesn't mean you take any opportunity that comes up. And Lane has made comments about the fact that he viewed leaving UT after a year to be a mistake. Maybe that was just trying to put it out there because he thought his reputation was hurting him, but I think it's just as reasonable to think that he felt burning all those bridges and creating the animosity wasn't worth it.

I'm certainly not betting big against him taking the Auburn gig, I just think he can afford to be patient and even though Auburn is a step up, it's still the little brother in a relatively small state and a worse gig than he might get if he's willing to wait a year.

Reactions: patdog

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I had to look up Jeff Grimes too.

A first time head coach that's an offensive coordinator for a 3rd or 4th place Big 12 team would be so on brand for John Cohen's first Auburn hire that it sounds made up.
It's the betting places that have him listed now as the front runner

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
17 Kiffin , 17 tsun & 17 AU. No lengthy threads needed 'till it's a done deal so we can post tsun butt hurt threads over losing their coach IMO.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Cool. At the Neshoba county fair the year prior he made it pretty clear how bored he was in that town during the town hall interviews. Maybe things changed. None of that is going to stop him from going to Auburn if they offer him because it's a better job with a legit shot to win something meaningful. Since that interview he has constantly complained about your collective not having enough NIL money. He continually harps on it.

Reactions: Motodawg

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
How funny would it be if Cohen pulls a Stricklin and comes after Leach after he can't get Kiffin? The selling point would be Auburn is closer to Key West! Lol

Reactions: SoulCatcher

patdog

May 28, 2007
I just saw where Jeff Grimes is now the leader for the position
That would be a typical Cohen outsmarting himself again hire. Worked out well for him last time he hired an assistant to coach football in the SEC. **

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I kind of agree that Kiffin might wanna wait for Texas A&M to open up. If Jimbo isn't getting it done next year he might be gone

kired

Aug 22, 2008

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
1. So we can say cock sucker and not ShItE
2. Preacher Franklin liked this?

Cosmo Kramer High Quality GIF

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
1. So we can say cock sucker and not ShItE
2. Preacher Franklin liked this?
Yea those kinda things always puzzled me. It's like schitt is worse than the GD Bomb. Never understood that one. Schitt's just a crucial word IMO because nothing better describes schitt than schitt. Schitt's gonna hit the fan. We're in deep schitt. This is Total Schitt. This tastes like schitt. Gotta take a schitt. Schitt on this and Schitt on that. Even in formal bidness settings you hear " Fecal Matter's gonna roll down hill on all of us if we screw this up"

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
What coach hasn't been a job hopper before getting a job at a major school? What coach lacks ambition and a desire to make millions more at a bigger school? Lane doesn't have to worry about this, but wives and families also matter. Rich women (pre-hysterectomies) enjoy living in nice cities (ask doctors about this). They influence husbands and like having status.

Reactions: patdog

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
hahahha

auburn isn’t a better job than ole miss ?

ok colonel reb

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
What coach hasn't been a job hopper before getting a job at a major school? What coach lacks ambition and a desire to make millions more at a bigger school? Lane doesn't have to worry about this, but wives and families also matter. Rich women (pre-hysterectomies) enjoy living in nice cities (ask doctors about this). They influence husbands and like having status.
Very few coaches haven't been job hoppers. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it. Lane is going to job hop to a bigger more attractive job if Auburn offers it to him, just like anyone else would that doesn't have ties to Ole Miss. Ole Miss is a lower tier SEC job that is overperforming with a really good head coach right now. Auburn is a top half of the SEC job. It is what it is.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Very few coaches haven't been job hoppers. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it. Lane is going to job hop to a bigger more attractive job if Auburn offers it to him, just like anyone else would that doesn't have ties to Ole Miss. Ole Miss is a lower tier SEC job that is overperforming with a really good head coach right now. Auburn is a top half of the SEC job. It is what it is.
And a very easy schedule so far this year, he’s going to bolt to auburn

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
I’d put the odds at him going to auburn at about 99.9%. He’s the auburn boosters number one and only target.

ole miss can’t compete with auburn resources

lane doesn’t want to stick around next year and lose 4-5 games with a schedule that is about like we have this year

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
If a competitor is trying to lure me away from my current job --- I love it here, enjoy the job, the people are great, love living in north MS, wouldn't change a thing. What was your offer again?
That article was from August.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login