Kiffin is a top target per Brandon Marcello.... AN UPDATE

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
Cool. At the Neshoba county fair the year prior he made it pretty clear how bored he was in that town during the town hall interviews. Maybe things changed. None of that is going to stop him from going to Auburn if they offer him because it's a better job with a legit shot to win something meaningful. Since that interview he has constantly complained about your collective not having enough NIL money. He continually harps on it.
Luckily our collective has more than tripled in the last week and growing quickly. Auburn is indeed a better job in the grand scheme but there is zero chance he is going there. It's a terrible fit for him and he knows it. He's got a really good team coming back next season and we'll win 10 games again (potentially the 3rd year in a row) at which point he will probably go take a bigger job...but I feel like he knows he can hang out for another year or two and end up at Florida/Texas etc. Taking the Auburn job (a 7) would be plain stupid when he can win another year or two and get a 10...and whether you think he can win 10 games next season doesn't matter because he thinks he can.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
I’d put the odds at him going to auburn at about 99.9%. He’s the auburn boosters number one and only target.

ole miss can’t compete with auburn resources

lane doesn’t want to stick around next year and lose 4-5 games with a schedule that is about like we have this year
Surely you don't believe that they fired their coach with a list of 1 single name as a potential replacement. That's ludicrous.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Surely you don't believe that they fired their coach with a list of 1 single name as a potential replacement. That's ludicrous.
they fired Harsin because they hate Harsin, they know They have enough cash to get an upgrade. Kiffin is who they want and it’s who they will get

• Haha
Reactions: Msdeltareb

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Lane makes $7.5M now. I don't think he'll view a $1M a year raise that locks him up for another 3 years to be a massive upgrade. I do think an offer like that would put leverage on Ole Miss to overpay him on an annual basis compared to market in order to offset the limited time.

Now if a true blue blood offers him $8.5 with a 7 year guarantee, then sure, he'll take it (although I'd expect him to get north of $9M), but while auburn is close, they are not Bama, LSU, UGA, UTex, or even UF or A&M. They are at that next level right there with UT I guess.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Those comparisons are disingenuous at best. To match a $8.5M offer, Mississippi would need to offer $8.5M/year.
Face it, you guys are losing Kiffin next year. Your next hire will be garbage and down the toilet you go

patdog

May 28, 2007
Face it, you guys are losing Kiffin next year. Your next hire will be garbage and down the toilet you go
Heck, I hope they do lose Kiffin. Whether to Auburn or somewhere else. And they certainly could. But it damn sure isn't 99.9% that he's going to Auburn. Maybe half that at best.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Those comparisons are disingenuous at best. To match a $8.5M offer, Mississippi would need to offer $8.5M/year.
Their comparison is wrong because $59.5M guaranteed over 4 years is wayyyy better than $59.5M over 7 years, but $34M over four is also not as good as $59.5 over 7. Going to be different for each individual depending on what their risk appetite is and where they think the market in general will go and what their place in the market will be, but I'd guess that a coach is going to want at least a couple of million and maybe more like 4 million more over the first four years to compensate for having 3 less years guaranteed.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Heck, I hope they do lose Kiffin. Whether to Auburn or somewhere else. And they certainly could. But it damn sure isn't 99.9% that he's going to Auburn. Maybe half that at best.
Just prepare yourself Pat, Kiffin to Auburn is a done deal

im thinking you guys hire Primetime or Scott Frost

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Hey dubass, patdog is a state guy unless someone has been playing the long game for at least 10 years for this moment…which would be ridiculous.
Oh I’m sure he is Dubby. I guess I’ll miss Lane too but we can still watch him on auburns sideline

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hey dubass, patdog is a state guy unless someone has been playing the long game for at least 10 years for this moment…which would be ridiculous.
The question isn't would he leave Mississippi for Auburn. If Auburn is his destination job, of course he would. The question is does he want to settle for Auburn when he could probably get the Texas A&M job next year. Or maybe Florida in a year or two. Cause he's not likely to get an elite job if he goes to Auburn.

And somehow I replied to SouthFarmchicken when I meant to reply to someone else. Thanks, on3.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Auburn is a big step up from ole miss. There’s no guarantee Aggie or Florida opens up, next year his schedule is like our this year, he’s going to lose four games at least. He’s gone.
$$$$$$$$

patdog

May 28, 2007
Auburn is a big step up from ole miss. There’s no guarantee Aggie or Florida opens up, next year his schedule is like our this year, he’s going to lose four games at least. He’s gone.
$$$$$$$$
A&M is 1-6 in their last 7 conference games. That hasn’t happened in 52 years. That job is coming open soon.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
A&M is 1-6 in their last 7 conference games. That hasn’t happened in 52 years. That job is coming open soon.
Have you heard about jimbos 100 million dollar buyout ? It’s not a secret

see, auburn is open now, and the offer is coming now. a & m might be two years from now.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
D
The question isn't would he leave Mississippi for Auburn. If Auburn is his destination job, of course he would. The question is does he want to settle for Auburn when he could probably get the Texas A&M job next year. Or maybe Florida in a year or two. Cause he's not likely to get an elite job if he goes to Auburn.

And somehow I replied to SouthFarmchicken when I meant to reply to someone else. Thanks, on3.
I don’t see him going to A&M either. I just can’t imagine Lane Kiffin hanging out with those ******* weirdos. Hope he stays in Oxford forever but I feel like he will go to the NFl or get a top 5 CFB job within 2 years.

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
$$$$$$$$
If you’re waiting around for us to lose 4 games next year you’re going to be sorely disappointed.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Yea I’m sure you beat at Alabama, atGeorgia, LSU, Arkansas, a and m, at Miss State, at auburn with kiffin coaching auburn

theres four maybe five losses there

cupcakes are over

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Their comparison is wrong because $59.5M guaranteed over 4 years is wayyyy better than $59.5M over 7 years, but $34M over four is also not as good as $59.5 over 7. Going to be different for each individual depending on what their risk appetite is and where they think the market in general will go and what their place in the market will be, but I'd guess that a coach is going to want at least a couple of million and maybe more like 4 million more over the first four years to compensate for having 3 less years guaranteed.
Maybe it's because I've never had money anywhere close to these numbers being thrown around, but I don't see where that matters once you get up to this level. 34 mil or 59 mil are both more than you'll ever be able to spend. You'll be able to live a lifestyle most only dream of with either amount. So then to me, it comes down to this...ego in being able to say you make this much money and / or being able to win a national title. And I think being able to say you won it all strokes the ego a little harder than the paycheck twice a month when said paycheck is so enormous either way. So it comes down to where does he think he has a better chance of hoisting the trophy and saying he's going to Disneyland?

Msdeltareb

Aug 26, 2014
Yea I’m sure you beat at Alabama, atGeorgia, LSU, Arkansas, a and m, at Miss State, at auburn with kiffin coaching auburn

theres four maybe five losses there

cupcakes are over
troll fraud GIF

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I’d put the odds at him going to auburn at about 99.9%. He’s the auburn boosters number one and only target.

lane doesn’t want to stick around next year and lose 4-5 games with a schedule that is about like we have this year

"a schedule that is about like we have this year"

Wait, what? Our schedule was made out to be challenging this year but turns out is isn't close the the #2 hardest like people said preseason.

Next year they have Mercer, Tulane, Ga Tech, LA Monroe, Vanderbilt, 5 automatic wins. They have AR and LSU at home. Auburn is at Auburn you know anybody scared of them? AL and GA are on the road, that's their only 2 challenges. They shouldn't be scared of us either on the road based upon recent games here.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

Kiffin is not going to lose 4-5 games at Ole Miss. I don't care what his schedule is. He is the real deal as a coach and the Ole Miss NIL group is going to be able to give him what he wants with a lot less headache than he'd have at AU.
If Kiffin wants a quick (albeit DIRTY) national championship, he is likely to do it faster in Oxford than he would on the plains.
Kiffin in Oxford is a 9+ win team every year. I hope he goes, but he'd be a fool to leave that set-up.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I really don't see much difference between Malzhan and Kiffin when it comes to offense. Real question: What will they get with Kiffin that they would not have gotten with Malzhan?

Reactions: Maroon13

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I really don't see much difference between Malzhan and Kiffin when it comes to offense. Real question: What will they get with Kiffin that they would not have gotten with Malzhan?
Hope of being better than Bama. That's the only thing they could realistically get from firing Malzhan. They had a really good coach managing pretty well in a dysfunctional environment. It was always very likely they were going to downgrade and almost a guarantee they weren't going to be significantly better. Just not many "the next Saban"s out there. So basically they were just looking for hope that they had found the next Saban.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Wait, what? Our schedule was made out to be challenging this year but turns out is isn't close the the #2 hardest like people said preseason.

Next year they have Mercer, Tulane, Ga Tech, LA Monroe, Vanderbilt, 5 automatic wins. They have AR and LSU at home. Auburn is at Auburn you know anybody scared of them? AL and GA are on the road, that's their only 2 challenges. They shouldn't be scared of us either on the road based upon recent games here.
Our schedule is #6 in the country right now. OM is at #55.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Our schedule is #6 in the country right now. OM is at #55.
My reply from a post earlier this week below. No way our schedule is #6, 6 of the 12 opponents are barely breaking even or lower. The rating is heavily scewed by 2 or 3 teams

"6 of our opponents are .500 or below. AR, KY, LSU have winning records and we blew 2 of those 3 games, only scored 17 points combined in 2nd half of those 2 losses after leading LSU at half and being tied w/ KY at half. We were outscored 31-17 in 2nd half of those 2 losses after leading or being tied. Can you say "no halftime adjustments" on our part, and looks like no adjustments to what the opponents did in the 2nd half?

GA, AL, Black Bears only 3 w/ respectable teams this year on our schedule and I hold little to no hope for winning the remaining 2 of those. If we lose this weekend, well I'm not going to go there because I don't want to upset you apologists."

passwordistaco

Aug 23, 2012
Kiffin is not going to lose 4-5 games at Ole Miss. I don't care what his schedule is. He is the real deal as a coach and the Ole Miss NIL group is going to be able to give him what he wants with a lot less headache than he'd have at AU.
If Kiffin wants a quick (albeit DIRTY) national championship, he is likely to do it faster in Oxford than he would on the plains.
Kiffin in Oxford is a 9+ win team every year. I hope he goes, but he'd be a fool to leave that set-up.
And the difference here is that 9 wins every year gets you a statue made in Oxford, 9 wins every year in the Plains has you on the hot seat. Their boosters have an unrealistic view of where that program is in the pecking order at the moment.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
My reply from a post earlier this week below. No way our schedule is #6, 6 of the 12 opponents are barely breaking even or lower. The rating is heavily scewed by 2 or 3 teams

"6 of our opponents are .500 or below. AR, KY, LSU have winning records and we blew 2 of those 3 games, only scored 17 points combined in 2nd half of those 2 losses after leading LSU at half and being tied w/ KY at half. We were outscored 31-17 in 2nd half of those 2 losses after leading or being tied. Can you say "no halftime adjustments" on our part, and looks like no adjustments to what the opponents did in the 2nd half?

GA, AL, Black Bears only 3 w/ respectable teams this year on our schedule and I hold little to no hope for winning the remaining 2 of those. If we lose this weekend, well I'm not going to go there because I don't want to upset you apologists."
Go look for yourself. What you believe doesn't matter. And we've still got two opponents left inside the top 15. One will be top 5.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012

I know you’re dismissing our schedule because you don’t like Leach and want to downplay any of our accomplishments, but to say our schedule is not difficult is dumb. Road game at current #10 LSU, road game at current #6 Alabama, road game at current #11 Ole Miss, home game with current #3 Georgia. Arkansas most likely will lose only one more game at most and finish either 8-4 or 9-3 and be ranked. Kentucky will also likely finish 8-4 and be ranked or very close to it. What other team in the country has three road games against top 11 teams? Not too many. So yes, our schedule is very difficult this year, whether you want to admit it or not.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Once the new scheduling model gets here, there isn’t going to much difference in conference schedule difficulty across the conference. State and Ole Miss will have tougher schedules than the current ones. Auburn’s difficulty won’t really change. Kiffin is only leaving Ole Miss for an NFL job or a college job with a better chance at making the playoff. Auburn can be that if their boosters are unified.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login