Largest freshman class in school history this fall…

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Just looking freshman class size leaves a lot to be desired IMO. The make up of the class (ACT scores etc) and the likelihood of their staying in school and graduating is way more important to me.

Yeah, good luck with all that academic stuff ever changing under current leadership, or any other leaders we’ve had in the past 30+ years. No one is willing to sacrifice those juicy enrollment numbers in order to challenge the numerous gray areas of the Ayers settlement and beef up our academic cred. There hasn’t even been anyone to actually try since Portera, and he knew he’d be a short timer anyway so he didn’t care about pissing off the powers that be.

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Better watch it! You’ll be accused of bashing MSU with such comments. It’s pretty pathetic how badly we recruit students from your situation to the situation I keep hearing about from kids up here when students actually tour campus.
I have heard this literally time and time again.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Last year was the first fall in a while that we were behind Ole Miss in enrollment. They get the benefit of being able to count UMMC so their actual enrollment is still behind ours
The Oxford Campus is smaller than our Starkville campus. They count UMC, which they didn't used to do. The only reason they do it now is so they can say they are bigger than we are. We put as many people into UMC as they do. The majority of students there are NOT Ole Miss graduates.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Yeah, good luck with all that academic stuff ever changing under current leadership, or any other leaders we’ve had in the past 30+ years. No one is willing to sacrifice those juicy enrollment numbers in order to challenge the numerous gray areas of the Ayers settlement and beef up our academic cred. There hasn’t even been anyone to actually try since Portera, and he knew he’d be a short timer anyway so he didn’t care about pissing off the powers that be.
Well, I know a MSU kid that applied to an elite European school for graduate work in engineering. During his interview he said something about MSU not being an elite school. The guy interviewing him said that we have a very good rep in the field. The kid got in, and got the degree. Y'all just need to stop bashing MSU. We do a very good job of educating Mississippi kids. That is our primary function. It always has been, and always will be. If Ole Miss wants the rejects from Texas let them have them. That ain't our primary mission, and it shouldn't be theirs.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Well, I know a MSU kid that applied to an elite European school for graduate work in engineering. During his interview he said something about MSU not being an elite school. The guy interviewing him said that we have a very good rep in the field. The kid got in, and got the degree. Y'all just need to stop bashing MSU. We do a very good job of educating Mississippi kids. That is our primary function. It always has been, and always will be. If Ole Miss wants the rejects from Texas let them have them. That ain't our primary mission, and it shouldn't be theirs.

I’m afraid you’ve missed the point entirely. How “good a job we do educating Mississippi kids” is not how the school is judged under the lens of people who matter as far as the future success of the university. That includes those who determining research funding, highly esteemed professors and researchers that are looking to teach or study at MSU, national Honors organizations like Phi Beta Kappa and others who are adding chapters, and so forth.

What ultimately makes MSU an attractive entity for those folks is based on one singular thing - the quality of students we attract. Because ultimately, the academic side is no different than the athletic side. It doesn’t matter how good of a coach / teacher Dan Mullen or Mike Leach or Zach Arnett is….when all you have is 3* and a few 4* athletes, when you get objectively judged against the immediate competition at Alabama or LSU or UGA, MSU falls way short because the damn talent just isn’t there. Same goes for academics. If we keep breaking our backs to just get as many 1* and 2* students as we can to be the “People’s University”, we are going to keep getting 1* and 2* results on average from most graduates, and a 1* or 2* reputation in most fields of study.

And by the way, Ole Miss still has 51% enrollment coming from MS. So their primary objective is the same as ours. But they are wisely not putting all their eggs in that one basket. Their increased focus on out of state has led to much higher tuition and donation revenue….because affluent families who can afford out of state tuition also are more likely to donate big bucks and pass that practice down to their kids / future alumni (who knew?!?!?). To apply another football recruiting metaphor, they’ve applied the “take Bama / UGA / LSU leftovers” policy and implemented it for academic recruiting, and it has worked extremely well for them. Its got them a lot more money coming in than we do, and a lot more national brand awareness as well. We would do very well at MSU to both tighten our academic standards and go much harder after out of state kids.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’m afraid you’ve missed the point entirely. How “good a job we do educating Mississippi kids” is not how the school is judged under the lens of people who matter as far as the future success of the university. That includes those who determining research funding, highly esteemed professors and researchers that are looking to teach or study at MSU, national Honors organizations like Phi Beta Kappa and others who are adding chapters, and so forth.

What ultimately makes MSU an attractive entity for those folks is based on one singular thing - the quality of students we attract. Because ultimately, the academic side is no different than the athletic side. It doesn’t matter how good of a coach / teacher Dan Mullen or Mike Leach or Zach Arnett is….when all you have is 3* and a few 4* athletes, when you get objectively judged against the immediate competition at Alabama or LSU or UGA, MSU falls way short because the damn talent just isn’t there. Same goes for academics. If we keep breaking our backs to just get as many 1* and 2* students as we can to be the “People’s University”, we are going to keep getting 1* and 2* results on average from most graduates, and a 1* or 2* reputation in most fields of study.

And by the way, Ole Miss still has 51% enrollment coming from MS. So their primary objective is the same as ours. But they are wisely not putting all their eggs in that one basket. Their increased focus on out of state has led to much higher tuition and donation revenue….because affluent families who can afford out of state tuition also are more likely to donate big bucks and pass that practice down to their kids / future alumni (who knew?!?!?). To apply another football recruiting metaphor, they’ve applied the “take Bama / UGA / LSU leftovers” policy and implemented it for academic recruiting, and it has worked extremely well for them. Its got them a lot more money coming in than we do, and a lot more national brand awareness as well. We would do very well at MSU to both tighten our academic standards and go much harder after out of state kids.
You want us to become Ole Miss I take it. I don't. One thing y'all NEVER get, we CAN'T tighten admission standards. I frankly don't care about out of state students at all. If they want to come then great. Our primary mission will always be to educate the people of Mississippi. NO out of state student should EVER take the place of even ONE MINIMALLY qualified Mississippian that wants to come to MSU.

As far as 51%...that's suspect number to me. Quota? Their emphasis is probably on the Texas rejects, but they still want to say that a MAJORITY of their students are Mississippians.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You want us to become Ole Miss I take it. I don't.

Thanks for the feedback straight from a facebook comments section. Ole Miss / Oxford is way better than MSU at getting students from out of state, which means they are pulling in more tuition money, more donations, and higher performing students from that subset and as a whole. Pointing that out doesn’t mean I want MSU to be Ole Miss. I simply want MSU to be better, regardless of how good or bad they are right now. And its not just Ole Miss that is attractive to out of state students, its practically every other SEC school as well. But thanks for the “sEcREt ReBel” shout out, circa 1998 Genespage.

One thing y'all NEVER get, we CAN'T tighten admission standards.

We cannot tighten the admissions standards for the university as a whole to be any more selective than the other public schools in the state. However, we can set entrance requirements to any specific college within the university to be whatever we want.

This is already done for the colleges of engineering, architecture, and probably a few others where you have a whole separate application process even after you already get into MSU. Not sure what it is now, but 15-20 years ago you had to have at least a 25-26 ACT and certain GPA to be admitted to the COE. You can set similar requirements for any of the other colleges as well.

The structure should be changed to where you’re a marginal student that gets in with a 2.8 GPA / 21 ACT, you can choose from only a few very remedial degree programs, or enroll in a remedial prep program for college of engineering, college of business, etc. where you have additional prerequisite coursework that must be met before enrolling in one of the “real” bachelor’s programs - 30 hrs or something. A side option is you can retake the ACT and/or apply your grades in the remedial courses to your entering GPA to start the normal bachelor’s program before completing the 30 hrs.

What does this do? It basically says you’ve got a longer path and more tuition payments to come to MSU as a marginal applicant, which is going to encourage those students to either look elsewhere (like JUCO for a year or 2), or still come and bust their *** while also still not getting immediately overwhelmed by the more challenging core courses in the more difficult majors - this helps them get their feet wet. Either way, it’s better retention, higher entering ACT scores, and more support being given to the drop-out risks.

But what we are actually doing is the opposite. We’re not only greenlighting these marginal applicants, we’re giving them aid that should be going to higher performers, waiving their out of state tuition, etc. Its stupid….but its all done just to keep getting those enrollment numbers.

Our primary mission will always be to educate the people of Mississippi. NO out of state student should EVER take the place of even ONE Mississippian that wants to come to MSU.

Just a horrible philosophy. First off, no 17-18 year old HS senior has any control on where they are from. They do control how intelligent they are, how much they love MSU and/or want to be at MSU (or fill-in-the-blank college) and how much they are willing to apply themselves to do well in K-12 and undergrad. Your statement should actually read “NO marginal or bad student should EVER take the place of even ONE high performing student that wants to come to MSU” if you really, truly care about MSU continuously improving.

And of course, MSU is always going to be more popular for Mississippians than it will be for other population areas, so we’re never likely to dip below 50-55% in-state folks. But that still doesn’t mean that the sole mission should ever be, “hey, let’s be THE university of choice for people in the state that’s ranked dead 17ing last in education for decades!”. We have to think way bigger and a lot differently than that. We need the Mississippians we bring in to be either the brightest, the hardest working, or both. But that’s not the philosophy of the school’s leadership or the IHL….for any of the MS public universities.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Thanks for the feedback straight from a facebook comments section. Ole Miss / Oxford is way better than MSU at getting students from out of state, which means they are pulling in more tuition money, more donations, and higher performing students from that subset and as a whole. Pointing that out doesn’t mean I want MSU to be Ole Miss. I simply want MSU to be better, regardless of how good or bad they are right now. And its not just Ole Miss that is attractive to out of state students, its practically every other SEC school as well. But thanks for the “sEcREt ReBel” shout out, circa 1998 Genespage.

We cannot tighten the admissions standards for the university as a whole to be any more selective than the other public schools in the state. However, we can set entrance requirements to any specific college within the university to be whatever we want.

This is already done for the colleges of engineering, architecture, and probably a few others where you have a whole separate application process even after you already get into MSU. Not sure what it is now, but 15-20 years ago you had to have at least a 25-26 ACT and certain GPA to be admitted to the COE. You can set similar requirements for any of the other colleges as well.

The structure should be changed to where you’re a marginal student that gets in with a 2.8 GPA / 21 ACT, you can choose from only a few very remedial degree programs, or enroll in a remedial prep program for college of engineering, college of business, etc. where you have additional prerequisite coursework that must be met before enrolling in one of the “real” bachelor’s programs - 30 hrs or something. A side option is you can retake the ACT and/or apply your grades in the remedial courses to your entering GPA to start the normal bachelor’s program before completing the 30 hrs.

What does this do? It basically says you’ve got a longer path and more tuition payments to come to MSU as a marginal applicant, which is going to encourage those students to either look elsewhere (like JUCO for a year or 2), or still come and bust their *** while also still not getting immediately overwhelmed by the more challenging core courses in the more difficult majors - this helps them get their feet wet. Either way, it’s better retention, higher entering ACT scores, and more support being given to the drop-out risks.

But what we are actually doing is the opposite. We’re not only greenlighting these marginal applicants, we’re giving them aid that should be going to higher performers, waiving their out of state tuition, etc. Its stupid….but its all done just to keep getting those enrollment numbers.

Just a horrible philosophy. First off, no 17-18 year old HS senior has any control on where they are from. They do control how intelligent they are, how much they love MSU and/or want to be at MSU (or fill-in-the-blank college) and how much they are willing to apply themselves to do well in K-12 and undergrad. Your statement should actually read “NO marginal or bad student should EVER take the place of even ONE high performing student that wants to come to MSU” if you really, truly care about MSU continuously improving.

And of course, MSU is always going to be more popular for Mississippians than it will be for other population areas, so we’re never likely to dip below 50-55% in-state folks. But that still doesn’t mean that the sole mission should ever be, “hey, let’s be THE university of choice for people in the state that’s ranked dead 17ing last in education for decades!”. We have to think way bigger and a lot differently than that. We need the Mississippians we bring in to be either the brightest, the hardest working, or both. But that’s not the philosophy of the school’s leadership or the IHL….for any of the MS public universities.
You don't want us to be them, but you want us to do what they do. No out of state student should ever take away a seat from qualified in state student. We are NOT Ole Miss and we never will be no matter how much some people want us to imitate them and what they do.

Reactions: MedDawg

catvet

May 11, 2009
Will be interesting to see the final enrollment numbers for everyone. State and OM will be close I imagine. What is the most interesting to me is how low Delta State's numbers have gotten. A few years ago they were 3400 or so and now they are closer to 2200. I realize the Delta isn't a draw, but it never was. How did they decline so rapidly and yet still have quality programs to offer?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
You don't want us to be them, but you want us to do what they do. No out of state student should ever take away a seat from qualified in state student. We are NOT Ole Miss and we never will be no matter how much some people want us to imitate them and what they do.

Whatever man, you are just quite delusional on this topic. Its MSU. Seats aren’t being taken from any student and given to another. When someone sits in one, they just roll out more seats.

Ask yourself, how are Mississippi kids getting the shaft if we bring in a freshmen class of 2,500 in-state and 2,000 out of state, instead of 2,500 in-state and 1,500 out of state?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Whatever man, you are just quite delusional on this topic. Its MSU. Seats aren’t being taken from any student and given to another. When someone sits in one, they just roll out more seats.

Ask yourself, how are Mississippi kids getting the shaft if we bring in a freshmen class of 2,500 in-state and 2,000 out of state, instead of 2,500 in-state and 1,500 out of state?
Why do you want us to change our identity that we have had since the school was founded? We don't need to be like Ole Miss. I'm not delusional about it. I just don't like it when people hold Ole Miss up as an example of what we should Be doing. That's just not who we are.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Why do you want us to change our identity that we have had since the school was founded? We don't need to be like Ole Miss. I'm not delusional about it. I just don't like it when people hold Ole Miss up as an example of what we should Be doing. That's just not who we are.

You’re delusional because you think MSU is sone prestigious academic pillar like UF, UGA, or the Texas schools who can just make admission immensely difficult for out of state applicants and prioritize our in-state kids like those states do….like we somehow have just as many elite applicants to choose from.

The reality - MSU is already ranked in the Top 6 of of all the “new SEC” schools in out-of-state enrollment %, because they are never going to be able to do that. We’re already a lot more “like Ole Miss” than whatever your false identity of the school is, evidently. But I’m not sure why you say “like Ole Miss” instead of “like Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina, etc.”. We don’t have to go majority out-of-state by any means, but there are far more high-performing students from outside MS than inside it….simple facts. Can’t ignore that. We need great students first and foremost.

Out of State enrollments at all SEC schools:

Vanderbilt - 90.67%
Alabama - 57.9%
Ole Miss - 56.85%
South Carolina - 52.43%
Arkansas - 50.5%
MSU - 40.62%
Oklahoma - 40.27%
Auburn - 39.65%
Mizzou - 32.49%
Kentucky - 32%
Tennessee - 30%
LSU - 18%
Florida - 11.69%
Georgia - 11.3%
Texas - 7.02%
Texas A&M - 5.07%

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You’re delusional because you think MSU is sone prestigious academic pillar like UF, UGA, or the Texas schools who can just make admission immensely difficult for out of state applicants and prioritize our in-state kids like those states do….like we somehow have just as many elite applicants to choose from.

The reality - MSU is already ranked in the Top 6 of of all the “new SEC” schools in out-of-state enrollment %, because they are never going to be able to do that. We’re already a lot more “like Ole Miss” than whatever your false identity of the school is, evidently. But I’m not sure why you say “like Ole Miss” instead of “like Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina, etc.”. We don’t have to go majority out-of-state by any means, but there are far more high-performing students from outside MS than inside it….simple facts. Can’t ignore that. We need great students first and foremost.

Out of State enrollments at all SEC schools:

Vanderbilt - 90.67%
Alabama - 57.9%
Ole Miss - 56.85%
South Carolina - 52.43%
Arkansas - 50.5%
MSU - 40.62%
Oklahoma - 40.27%
Auburn - 39.65%
Mizzou - 32.49%
Kentucky - 32%
Tennessee - 30%
LSU - 18%
Florida - 11.69%
Georgia - 11.3%
Texas - 7.02%
Texas A&M - 5.07%
😂, no. I just embrace what we are! What we are is the Peoples' University in Mississippi. We do what we are supposed to do very, very, well. I don't mind out of state students at all....so long as we never forget our primary function and it remains our PRIMARY focus, educating the people of Mississippi. MSU as it is has done very well by three generations of my family. I'm the middle one.

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
Will be interesting to see the final enrollment numbers for everyone. State and OM will be close I imagine. What is the most interesting to me is how low Delta State's numbers have gotten. A few years ago they were 3400 or so and now they are closer to 2200. I realize the Delta isn't a draw, but it never was. How did they decline so rapidly and yet still have quality programs to offer?
I would expect OM to pull a little further ahead this year, with our enrollment slipping some even with this big freshman class we have coming in. OM probably won't have another record class but they also retain students better than we do.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
A little known fact is that if you can score proficient on Mississippi state tests, you are prepared to take on any class they throw at you as a freshman. These aren't the tests we took in school, I promise.

Edited to add: maybe not higher maths like cal unless you took it in HS.
I know almost nothing about the state tests but I find that very hard to believe. If that were true, then half, maybe 2/3 of kids in Mississippi would be failing those tests every time. Likely way less than half of MS high schoolers could get through a freshman year at State.

Tell me if I'm wrong. I really don't know.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
The Oxford Campus is smaller than our Starkville campus. They count UMC, which they didn't used to do. The only reason they do it now is so they can say they are bigger than we are. We put as many people into UMC as they do. The majority of students there are NOT Ole Miss graduates.
OM through UMC counts 2-year degree students and residents as full-time University students. While residents are "in training", they are employees funded by the federal government, not students. There is no degree at the end.

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009

State gets more research funding than all of the other universities in Mississippi combined.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login