• Lose Egg Bowl and now I’m off

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • Off regardless.

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Obviously can't speak for all, but for me, it's more of a growing concern over a low ceiling rather than a reasonably high floor(for MSU's standards). I'll readily admit that Leach is doing just fine, historically speaking, with essentially everything he's doing here. Recruiting, W/L records, and performance in the SEC is right on par with the coaches that we like to hold in high regard.

My problem, though, is that I'm not one to be ok with just the status quo, and a coach making as much as Leach also needs to be able to give the fanbase hope. Has he done that? I guess some would argue that he somehow has, but I'm still struggling to see it when he continues to put a QB out there with significant limitations, he hasn't developed an alternative in 3 years, and he refuses to make any adjustments to his offense that has now been completely shut down by capable defenses on numerous occasions. No options, no TEs, very little misdirection, and a refusal to commit to a run game because he allows the defensive set to entirely dictate what we do. I fully believe that the air raid can work in this league, but only if a coach is willing to adjust, and Leach just can't seem to bring himself to do it.

Like others, I'm very anxious to see what a mobile QB can do in this offense, but based on our inability to get any other QB ready to run this offense during the last 3 years, I don't have a ton of faith in Parson taking over any time soon.
I share the concerns about the QB problem. Rogers lacks both the physical strength to break tackles and the mobility to evade them and that severely limits the offense. I haven’t seen enough of Robertson to know what he brings to the table and given Leach’s hesitancy to play guys with limited experience it could be three years if and when Parson takes the field. It would certainly become very frustrating to watch the team flounder for that long.
Leach seems to vent most of his frustration towards the receivers but we can rarely get a good look at what they are doing wrong besides the drops. Perhaps they aren’t properly executing their jobs and that compounds problems in the pocket.

In addition to winning at least one more game this year the program needs to take another step forward next season or it’s going to become really hard to be excited. Apathy is the last thing we need when the competition will likely get even harder in a couple of years. An expanded playoff berth has to be the goal and ten wins is what that will require.

Reactions: Seinfeld and olblue

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I’m not a Leach hater by any stretch. I’m pretty indifferent on whether he stays or goes. But his offense is about as unwatchable as this forum is unreadable at times. If we crap the bed offensively Thursday night and get completely run out of town by the shitheads, it’ll be hard for me to get excited for the future with Leach. Maybe I’ll finally become a basketball fan.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don’t know if I’m permanently on Leach Beach, but I am for at least 4 years, and I don’t count Covid year. Of course if he completely loses control of the program, that’s a different story, but he’s not going to.
I’m curious about how this experiment will work, and I think it’s worth giving him time to find out.
I threw away the Covid year plus the next. It took a while for us as a nation to get our crap somewhat going again after the shut down. I can't imagine trying to put together a bunch of young men along with new way of playing ball while all the Covid crap was going on.

I really feel just now like we're really getting into our identity as a team on offense. If he's double deck season, I do think we will look elsewhere but right now things are OK. Despite what anyone says seven wins with our schedule is good. Let's see if we can throw an Egg Bowl victory on top of that. Whatever the outcome of the game is, I'm more interested in what I'm going to see happens within the coaching carousel the next couple of weeks, recruiting, and the transfer portal.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'd say the majority had a loud opinion this past weekend when you look at attendance. That was the worst attended game I can remember since Tech and 10 maybe.
Was that a protest or the fact we were playing ETSU

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I share the concerns about the QB problem. Rogers lacks both the physical strength to break tackles and the mobility to evade them and that severely limits the offense. I haven’t seen enough of Robertson to know what he brings to the table and given Leach’s hesitancy to play guys with limited experience it could be three years if and when Parson takes the field. It would certainly become very frustrating to watch the team flounder for that long.
Leach seems to vent most of his frustration towards the receivers but we can rarely get a good look at what they are doing wrong besides the drops. Perhaps they aren’t properly executing their jobs and that compounds problems in the pocket.

In addition to winning at least one more game this year the program needs to take another step forward next season or it’s going to become really hard to be excited. Apathy is the last thing we need when the competition will likely get even harder in a couple of years. An expanded playoff berth has to be the goal and ten wins is what that will require.
Yeah, this describes a lot of my own thoughts. I don’t want Leach fired, but he’s got a lot to prove on Friday in more ways than one. Can his offense look competent on the road? Can Rogers perform against a pass rush? Will Leach commit to the run? Can we take another step in the right direction with 8 regular season wins?

Win the game, and it’ll go a long way in calming the nerves from fans like myself. Lose yet again, and my patience will continue to deteriorate

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’m just not quite sure what the argument against Leach is in context of our historical program expectations. The recruiting, record, and play calling are at or above average. His worst year so far was 3-7 in the conference and a bowl win. A loss Thursday would be a let down but I don’t see it as a nail in the coffin quite yet. If I knew the university was willing to spend 8 million on the next coach I could get on board but I don’t see that happening. The question is can we get a better coach for 5 million while also paying out Leach’s contract?

I know it would be difficult to do it within the rules, but I'd much rather us keep Leach at the current rate and try to funnel an extra $3M a year into NIL deals.

Reactions: Ibdancin

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I just want to make one comment. I see a lot of talk about quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, I want you to tell me how we can get a five star, or just a four star quarterback to come to a school that has historically been a run only team. I just want to know how you're going to compete with the big boys for the top quarterbacks in the nation , no matter who is the coach. I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Oct 13, 2021
At least SPS let's you have polls or even an opinion.... Steve isn't even letting anyone post that Leach should be fired, because....
HE knows people in the athletic department and they know he isn't getting fired, so you can't even talk about it.

That dude has done more harm to our fanbase than almost anyone else, he's conditioned our fans to think cheating is bad because he wrote a book about OM doing, and now there's a large sector of our older fans that will never pay players because.. "That's what OM does".... God.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
As difficult as the schedule was this year… I’m not stomping my foot too hard right now. If he beats UM, that’s great. I would have signed up in a millisecond for 8 wins with this schedule before the season.

hell.. beat UM and we have as good a season as they did and they had an absolute cupcake schedule. They had Vandy from the east and KY at home. We would be sitting here with 9 wins with that. They would have 7. And they are rumored to be willing to pay 9 million a year for that.

He twisted the play calling up a little this year and it has been of benefit. Running tha bawl has loosened up defenses a lil. So it’s not all air raid or the highway at least.

I’m still on board win or lose. Mullen would still be here if he shunned all other offers winning the same amount of games.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021
I just want to make one comment. I see a lot of talk about quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, quarterback, I want you to tell me how we can get a five star, or just a four star quarterback to come to a school that has historically been a run only team. I just want to know how you're going to compete with the big boys for the top quarterbacks in the nation , no matter who is the coach. I'll hang up and listen.
Well, we have...

4* Chris Parson 2023
4* Braedyn Locke 2022
4* Sawyer Robertson 2021
4* KJ Costello 2020
4* Garrett Shrader 2019
4* Jalen Mayden 2018
4* Keytaon Thompson 2017

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I was at the ETSU game last year. Huge difference this year. Last year there was hope. This year, it's faded.
Damn son you just got busted! I think you have ETSU confused with TSU. Wrong either way because the attendance against ETSU Saturday was 49K+ and the attendance against TSU last year was 46K+.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
We
We’ve got two already on the roster, and a third is committed in the current class. Getting a 4* QB is not the problem. The question is whether Leach can develop them, and if we can’t do either due to our run-only history, then what are we even doing with Leach here?

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Damn son you just got busted! I think you have ETSU confused with TSU. Wrong either way because the attendance against ETSU Saturday was 49K+ and the attendance against TSU last year was 46K+.
Lying sack of #$&@, making crap up to,support his garbage narrative

LMAO

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I know it would be difficult to do it within the rules, but I'd much rather us keep Leach at the current rate and try to funnel an extra $3M a year into NIL deals.
I though about that after I posted. What if you drop Leach after his contract, hire a cheaper coach and drop the savings on NIL. What would three or four million buy? I suppose TAMU is the counter argument.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Well, we have...

4* Chris Parson 2023
4* Braedyn Locke 2022
4* Sawyer Robertson 2021
4* KJ Costello 2020
4* Garrett Shrader 2019
4* Jalen Mayden 2018
4* Keytaon Thompson 2017
You know what I'm talking about what's their rating? What was their offer list? Where did they finish in the ESPN top 100? Come on dude if you want us to have a upper crust quarterback, at least start with a Manning or something

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
There wasn't 30k there this past week. Tickets sold don't count. I'm talking asses in seats. Wasn't close.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Come on man... Not just 1.

Like your takes!

On this. We will get one soon. The reason, LEACH! He attracts QBs already. The question is time and NIL. For example, Bama will have a 5 star transfer next year. FACT! The question is will he fit this system.

Our issues right now begin and end with NIL and being pin pointed in transfers.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We

We’ve got two already on the roster, and a third is committed in the current class. Getting a 4* QB is not the problem. The question is whether Leach can develop them, and if we can’t do either due to our run-only history, then what are we even doing with Leach here?
Time has taught us he can. Rogers is a 3 star and is playing at a high level. Most QBs have grown under him. I think the real test is the OL! Really we need those 4 stars and up! This is the only way to get the run game better. Even with a mobile QB.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login