looks like some of the all run offense may have been on Arnett

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I was dogging the oc as much as anyone. But reading JTC's article linked below, it looks like when we got the turnover when it was 14-0, he told the Barbay to go ultra conservative to give the defense a chance to rest. Now he admits that that might have been the wrong approach. At least the coaches are learning and are able to admit when they made a mistake are willing to try and learn from it. That looks good for the future.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We'll see how they do over the next few weeks. I wasn't a fan of going for it on 4th down from the 4 on that first drive. I know we were moving the ball well - but I'm a fan of taking the points early, and not giving Arizona the momentum of a 4th down stop. And from the 4? If we'd been inside the 2 I'm good with going for it. But man, 4-5 yards can be hard to pick up in that spot.

I'm worried we'll be second guessing our coaches a lot in September with LSU and Bama coming up. We need to win the SC game, and then hopefully they get things figured out by mid October when 2nd half of the season starts.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We'll see how they do over the next few weeks. I wasn't a fan of going for it on 4th down from the 4 on that first drive. I know we were moving the ball well - but I'm a fan of taking the points early, and not giving Arizona the momentum of a 4th down stop. And from the 4? If we'd been inside the 2 I'm good with going for it. But man, 4-5 yards can be hard to pick up in that spot.

I'm worried we'll be second guessing our coaches a lot in September with LSU and Bama coming up. We need to win the SC game, and then hopefully they get things figured out by mid October when 2nd half of the season starts.
I'm a HUGE fan of going for it on 4th down from the 4. A TD is more than twice as valuable as a FG and even if you miss it, you almost always leave them with terrible field position. It was just a fluke play they got the touchback.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I was dogging the oc as much as anyone. But reading JTC's article linked below, it looks like when we got the turnover when it was 14-0, he told the Barbay to go ultra conservative to give the defense a chance to rest. Now he admits that that might have been the wrong approach. At least the coaches are learning and are able to admit when they made a mistake are willing to try and learn from it. That looks good for the future.

In that specific situation it makes sense. Bleed 5 minutes off the clock and go up three scores without giving them much of a chance to answer before half? Sure I get it. And it almost worked if the TD doesn’t get called back for a holding away from the play.

The problem for me was continuing it in the second half. Our last four drives in regulation were hard to watch, other than the one long catch and run by Tulu that got us a field goal.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I hope they ball out and don't pucker up. I absolutely hated big game Dan. With a few exceptions in 2014, you could rest assured that he wasn't going to rise to the occasion and play the game to at least try to win. Ultra-conservative/scared play calling ensued...

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I’m skeptical because I don’t remember us snapping the ball after the play clock ran below 10s. I could be misremembering it.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
That was just one series.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I absolutely blame Arnett. He made the original choice to pivot from the Air Raid (or anything similar to it) and fire all the Leach guys.

So far, I would say he's been a micromanager, which is not what we needed.
Incorrect answer. He asked the OC one time, for one series, to let the defense catch their breath. He's nowhere close to a micromanager. And that Air Raid offense averaged 21 a game last year. That was pitiful. Plus, we're still using some of the old offense because that's what our QB is best at. Barbey straight up sucked Sat. but we won, so we move on and see this week.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Incorrect answer. He asked the OC one time, for one series, to let the defense catch their breath. He's nowhere close to a micromanager. And that Air Raid offense averaged 21 a game last year. That was pitiful. Plus, we're still using some of the old offense because that's what our QB is best at. Barbey straight up sucked Sat. but we won, so we move on and see this week.
Never mind Goat. He's just made up his mind that Arnett sucks and was a terrible hire so he's jumping on any negative and taking it to extremes. Of course we're all concerned about the 2nd half offense. But hopefully, both Arnett and Barbay will learn from it and not make the same play calling mistakes.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

The problem with the end of that first series was not the 4th down play. It was the play call on 3rd down. It's 3rd and goal, and we go straight handoff up the gut to Woody on the short side. It should never have been 4th and 4. We had rolled down the field with a pretty good mix prior to that. That was the first (but not close to the last) time during the game I thought "what the hell was that?".

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I don't care whose fault it was. Totally insane.

Reactions: HumpDawgy

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Never mind Goat. He's just made up his mind that Arnett sucks and was a terrible hire so he's jumping on any negative and taking it to extremes. Of course we're all concerned about the 2nd half offense. But hopefully, both Arnett and Barbay will learn from it and not make the same play calling mistakes.
If I'm anywhere near as annoying as you were when you were on your anti-Cohen campaign from 2009-2013, then yeah maybe I need to reel it back in. One thing is for sure, you probably know how to spot irrational hate for a coach.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I tell you what the Air Raid didn't suck at: Time of Possession. We may find out this year that our defense, which everyone admired last year, was propped up by that offense you find so terrible.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Firing all the Leach guys is the best decision he’s made so far.
I don't think so. He could have carried on with them but instructed to implement more running as we did towards the end of last year. Could have also gone with TE's.... so a modified AR. It didn't have to be a total rebuild. We had the players in place and Rogers would have certainly been more comfortable than he is now. But it's a moot point now. Hopefully things work out.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
We are using less than a little bit. Way less.

Nobody stated that we should not run the ball, but we have a sr team that grew up in that system and you totally went the opposite direction and are forced to use a OL at TE. Also, according to the stats, Jr at Tulsa isn't pass happy. 52 passes to 89 runs.

Don't care how somebody tries to sell that to me, it was not smart.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's idiotic. But I shouldn't be surprised, as many of you were arguing with me last week about Kevin Sumlin running the Air Raid.

Reactions: Ibdancin

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I don't think so. He could have carried on with them but instructed to implement more running as we did towards the end of last year. Could have also gone with TE's.... so a modified AR. It didn't have to be a total rebuild. We had the players in place and Rogers would have certainly been more comfortable than he is now. But it's a moot point now. Hopefully things work out.
Exactly. I'm not saying keep the ones on staff. But a modified would have served this team greatly.

And Like I said, Spurrier Jr isn't throwing more than running it at Tulsa.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Our #1 TE was ruled ineligible a week before the season started, not sure if you missed that.

This meltdown from a poor offensive performance in week 2 is probably the most predictable aspect of the season so far. Installing a new offense with the youngest HC in the SEC there is bound to be growing pains.

The funniest part of all of this is the folks who think they have the Arnett/Barbay tenure figured out after two games.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I get that he did what Arnett asked - and it was definitely the wrong decision, you go for the fatality when you get a big play like that - but did Arnett ask him to go ultra-conservative for the rest of the night too? Did he tell him to continue being ultra-conservative, so much so that Arizona would be able to tie the game?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our #1 TE was ruled ineligible a week before the season started, not sure if you missed that.

This meltdown from a poor offensive performance in week 2 is probably the most predictable aspect of the season so far. Installing a new offense with the youngest HC in the SEC there is bound to be growing pains.

The funniest part of all of this is the folks who think they have the Arnett/Barbay tenure figured out after two games.
The is the point you moron. We should not have to go through growing pains due to changing the offense. Do that crap next year when we are going to be rebuilding.

Last edited:

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

The point of the TE situation is we had ZERO. Now we are forced to use an OL as a TE and we are converting a great outside threat to TE.

It was not a poor performance by the Offense. Marks averaged 5.1 yards and Davis 8.5. Rogers was 12.5 yards per completed pass. They played well. The OC and evidently HC put them in a bad situation.

There did not have to be growing pains. He chose growing pains.

Reactions: Dawg1976

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He has to allow Will to check out of a run play when the defense sells out. If you don't have confidence in him at this point in his career, then that is unbelievable. He is not a freshman. There should be no reins on him at this point.
I'd swear somewhere on the postgame show, a comment was made that Will was audibling into some of the run plays. Don't know who said that and haven't watched the replay - or maybe I misheard it altogether.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Absolutely, I couldn't have made it through another year of 3 yd passes and a cloud of dust offense

You think we are now calling plays to throw it down field? LOL! One more time for you guys too. Spurrier Jr has thrown it 52 times and rushed it 89 as OC at Tulsa this year.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The point of the TE situation is we had ZERO. Now we are forced to use an OL as a TE and we are converting a great outside threat to TE.

It was not a poor performance by the Offense. Marks averaged 5.1 yards and Davis 8.5. Rogers was 12.5 yards per completed pass. They played well. The OC and evidently HC put them in a bad situation.

There did not have to be growing pains. He chose growing pains.
With having a 37 year old HC and new OC, what happened Saturday was inevitable. Welcome to reality. It stings sometimes

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Well we won 9 games last year but who cares about that? I'm sure we're all relieved The Peeper is happy now. Got to keep those priorities straight.

Note that I didn't say not 1 word about wins did I? Nope I didn't. And if you enjoyed weekly 3+ hr stints of watching that offense, then you must enjoy sitting in the dark and watching black paint dry.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The air raid from 2020-2022 sucked ***. Do you have amnesia?
No. I enjoyed beating Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, etc. and having winning seasons. I also liked having a senior laden offense.

Arnett got lucky and got a job due to circumstances, not because we thought he was the best guy. He made an ego decision and didn't extend that same grace that he was given, to Leach's guys.

Now we see if it was the right decision. It still could be, but 2 games in, it doesn't look good. I hope to be wrong and we go 10-2, because we have the talent to do that.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
The air raid from 2020-2022 sucked ***. Do you have amnesia?
No, We remember a 9 win season and staring at a break out 2023 year with a SR team. 20 starters are either SRs or Grad Transfers.
You guys are sure about an offense that has only been on the field twice. That's not much of a sample size, is it?
The issue wasn't the players. Like I said, Marks 5.1 per carry, Davis 8,6 and Rogers 12.5 per completed pass at 76%. It's the mismanagement of the staff that is at issue.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login