looks like some of the all run offense may have been on Arnett

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I absolutely blame Arnett. He made the original choice to pivot from the Air Raid (or anything similar to it) and fire all the Leach guys.

So far, I would say he's been a micromanager, which is not what we needed.
Your beef should be with who hired Arnett. I don't blame Arnett for trying to be his own man rather than try to do a Leach impression. He might fail as HC but he would definitely fail trying to fill Leach's shoes with Leach's guys.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
No, We remember a 9 win season and staring at a break out 2023 year with a SR team. 20 starters are either SRs or Grad Transfers.

The issue wasn't the players. Like I said, Marks 5.1 per carry, Davis 8,6 and Rogers 12.5 per completed pass at 76%. It's the mismanagement of the staff that is at issue.
Did you forget about

2020 Arkansas
2020 UK
2020 A&M
2020 Auburn
2021 La Tech
2021 Memphis
2021 Egg Bowl
2021 Texas Tech
2022 LSU
2022 UK
2022 Auburn (8 consecutive 3 and outs)
2022 Egg Bowl
2023 Illinois

I didn’t even bother to put the 3 embarrassing Bama games or UGA games on here. It’s laughable we’re 2 and 0 and y’all are on here clamoring for the air raid. I warn you, don’t look those games up because you might have a stroke how poor they were offensively.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You think we are now calling plays to throw it down field? LOL! One more time for you guys too. Spurrier Jr has thrown it 52 times and rushed it 89 as OC at Tulsa this year.

1694536644136.png

Averaging more than 2 yds MORE this season than last season in both rushing per play and passing per play. Also, the total offense per play in '22 was 5.5 and 392 yds per game. This season, 6.7 yds/play and 416 yds/game. I'll take that over watching the last 3 seasons any day.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
YDS/Rush YDS/Catch
'22 3.6 9.5
'23 5.7 11.8

Averaging more than 2 yds MORE this season than last season in both rushing per play and passing per play. Also, the total offense per play in '22 was 5.5 and 392 yds per game. This season, 6.7 yds/play and 416 yds/game. I'll take that over watching the last 3 seasons any day.
Come on, one of those games was against an FCS team. You can’t compare stats this early in the season. Let’s at least play a few SEC games before we start comparing stats from last year to this.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I don’t care what kind of offense we run as long as we win. All I know is that under Mike Leach, we improved our win total by at least two games each season. I really think we had the potential of winning 10 games this year for only the THIRD time in our history. Maybe we still do. Did our offense sputter at times last year? Of course. But we still won nine games and we don’t do that very often.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Our #1 TE was ruled ineligible a week before the season started, not sure if you missed that.

This meltdown from a poor offensive performance in week 2 is probably the most predictable aspect of the season so far. Installing a new offense with the youngest HC in the SEC there is bound to be growing pains.

The funniest part of all of this is the folks who think they have the Arnett/Barbay tenure figured out after two games.
I missed nothing about Spivey being ruled ineligible. I was just pointing out you could have TE's in the AR.

Growing pains? Perhaps. But Arnett has been around football long enough to know you don't take the foot off the pedal that early in the game,

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Come on, one of those games was against an FCS team. You can’t compare stats this early in the season. Let’s at least play a few SEC games before we start comparing stats from last year to this.
If everyone is judging Barbay in 2 games am I wrong to use the 2 games of stats we have to judge?

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Did you forget about

2020 Arkansas
2020 UK
2020 A&M
2020 Auburn
2021 La Tech
2021 Memphis
2021 Egg Bowl
2021 Texas Tech
2022 LSU
2022 UK
2022 Auburn (8 consecutive 3 and outs)
2022 Egg Bowl
2023 Illinois

I didn’t even bother to put the 3 embarrassing Bama games or UGA games on here. It’s laughable we’re 2 and 0 and y’all are on here clamoring for the air raid. I warn you, don’t look those games up because you might have a stroke how poor they were offensively.
No, Just like I don't forget the other losses by every friggin HC we have had. At MSU a 9 win season is fantastic. To down play that is asinine.

Skipping over the facts of a team that starts 20 SR and Grad Transfers is equally asinine

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It's far too early to make any decisions on this staff. I will admit I was wanting to keep Spurrier and modify the AR. Add TE and more balance. But I have gotten excited that maybe Barbay will be good. He sucked last game. Hopefully he will turn it around. I agree 100% Will needs the autonomy to switch yo a pass play when the box is loaded as it was the second half. If we only win 4 or 5 games I will be convinced we 17d up. I have not yet seen any advantages from the new assistants other than Bump getting 2 awesome reciever commits. If the offense doesn't open up.they may never get to campus. We will struggle next year due to experience. This is our year. If we squander it we gonna have a couple of weak years.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Your beef should be with who hired Arnett. I don't blame Arnett for trying to be his own man rather than try to do a Leach impression. He might fail as HC but he would definitely fail trying to fill Leach's shoes with Leach's guys.
I disagree, I think continuity was the right move in the situation. I don't think many would have been upset with a year grace period. We are stacked with seniors and we will lose most of them next year. That will be the perfect time to transition to what Arnett wants the offense to be (and what most of us fans think it should be, as well). If we had failed, then Arnett could have moved off of those guys.

Just a bad ego look from my viewpoint. Regardless of what the Goat-haters here think, I'm not rooting for him to fail. I just saw this coming from a mile away, hoped it wouldn't happen, now it seems to be. It's just frustrating. 2018 was bad too and it sucks to know we may go through that again, in such an opportunistic year. Maybe we can get it turned around.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You guys are sure about an offense that has only been on the field twice. That's not much of a sample size, is it?

It's not a sample size, but, what else is there to go on? If the Barbay hate is being judged by just 2 games why can't the stats from those 2 games be used that show per play and per game improvement in the offense this year over last?

• Sad

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
View attachment 403745

So far we have played 1 fairly weak group of 5 and one directional school. Get serious on your comparisons

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
In this new era of Mississippi State football, it’s not enough to just win 9 games. You have to do it playing the type of offense that some of the fans like. Otherwise they’ll b!tch and moan and refuse to come to games.

It's like having a job w/ good pay and benefits but hating the co-workers and the job itself. You naturally go home and ***** about it........

• Sad

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I tell you what the Air Raid didn't suck at: Time of Possession. We may find out this year that our defense, which everyone admired last year, was propped up by that offense you find so terrible.

I've been thinking this was a nice feature of that offense that many fans never seemed to fully appreciate (or even be aware of).

Reactions: Dawg1976

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Exactly. I'm not saying keep the ones on staff. But a modified would have served this team greatly.

And Like I said, Spurrier Jr isn't throwing more than running it at Tulsa.
Modified air raid with more run made the most sense with this roster unless they got a bonafide transfer that was a reall dual threat. I was hoping for Spencer sanders but he is riding bench at ole miss so he may not be that good.

Reactions: blitz2Win

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
We controlled the time of possession with Rogers in the air raid by snapping the ball as late as possible and by Rogers’s highly accurate, short yardage throws. Even when they were for a first down, the chain crew didn’t have to move very far; and the clock started ticking again with little pause. It was a pleasant byproduct of his weak arm. Leach was genius to slow the tempo down to further bleed the clock.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Well we won 9 games last year but who cares about that? I'm sure we're all relieved The Peeper is happy now. Got to keep those priorities straight.
Just because we won 9 last year doesn't mean we would have this year. Last year was an upswing year. Leach is also gone. No matter how much you try to reproduce last year exactly how he would have with his staff doesn't mean you would have. Not to mention Ark is away. Auburn away with a much better proven coach. Our coach unproven and young. Odd years are usually not great for us or a step back because scheduling and road games that the toss ups.

Reactions: patdog

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Georgia replaced with a not very good South Carolina team certainly helps this season.

Aug 22, 2012
Incorrect answer. He asked the OC one time, for one series, to let the defense catch their breath. He's nowhere close to a micromanager. And that Air Raid offense averaged 21 a game last year. That was pitiful. Plus, we're still using some of the old offense because that's what our QB is best at. Barbey straight up sucked Sat. but we won, so we move on and see this week.
The offense averaged more like 33 a game last year. Do you just make up numbers to support your arguments?

Reactions: Dawg1976

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Note that I didn't say not 1 word about wins did I? Nope I didn't. And if you enjoyed weekly 3+ hr stints of watching that offense, then you must enjoy sitting in the dark and watching black paint dry.
32.6 points per game. Let's see if Barbay can repeat that with basically the same roster and an easier schedule.

patdog

May 28, 2007
32.6 points per game. Let's see if Barbay can repeat that with basically the same roster and an easier schedule.
31.62 ppg for the team. But 7 TDs were defense or special teams. So offense averaged 30.17 ppg.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I've been thinking this was a nice feature of that offense that many fans never seemed to fully appreciate (or even be aware of).

We are certainly missing Forbes. Arizona had zero problem getting open against us.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Does Arizona fit into either of these categories? They don't, right?

Arizona is a P5 school, right?
Group of 5, P5, whatever. Pretty sure you get my point as far as figuring averages go prior to the meat of our schedule. Group of 5 and Power 5 are the same thing. Both refer to the 5 power conferences. Feel free to Google " what is a group of 5 school"

Last edited:
Reactions: dog12

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Never mind Goat. He's just made up his mind that Arnett sucks and was a terrible hire so he's jumping on any negative and taking it to extremes. Of course we're all concerned about the 2nd half offense. But hopefully, both Arnett and Barbay will learn from it and not make the same play calling mistakes.
Or they could ask goat since he seems to know how to coach the team.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Group of 5, P5, whatever. Pretty sure you get my point as far as figuring averages go prior to the meat of our schedule. Group of 5 and Power 5 are the same thing. Both refer to the 5 power conferences. Feel free to Google " what is a group of 5 school"
You are very incorrect. Power 5 refers to SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12. Group of five refers to the five non power conferences. If you’re going to be wrong, be confidently wrong I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
You are very incorrect. Power 5 refers to SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12. Group of five refers to the five non power conferences. If you’re going to be wrong, be confidently wrong I guess.
Only a moron would not get my point. Division one FCS FBS....anyone that is a fan knows we played 2 teams that don't even compare to the rest of our schedule. Therefore comparing averages at this point is premature. I would be delightfully surprised if our scoring average does not fall after LSU and Bama. I'm sure you understand the point I was making

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Only a moron would not get my point. Division one FCS FBS....anyone that is a fan knows we played 2 teams that don't even compare to the rest of our schedule. Therefore comparing averages at this point is premature. I would be delightfully surprised if our scoring average does not fall after LSU and Bama. I'm sure you understand the point I was making
I’m just saying you made a factually wrong statement. You can at least admit that.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Cheer up there is good news on the way. Brandon Holloway has another year of eligibility and Barbay has plans to run him up the middle instead of Woody We should really be dynamic

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login