looks like some of the all run offense may have been on Arnett

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Trojan always quick with the data and facts! * * *
I supply stats for top offenses all the time but y'all ignore it because of passing yard records and completion percentage. I can't help it if you don't understand total yardage and that passing was our only offense the last 3 years. Sounds like you don't understand the facts. Yes will has a ton of yards. But all we did was pass. We still weren't in the top 25 total yards per game or points per game. Even with record setting passing yards for msu.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
32.6 points per game. Let's see if Barbay can repeat that with basically the same roster and an easier schedule.
Barbays team last year was better statistically speaking at app state than leach with MSU last year. With less latent they beat power 5 teams and went toe to toe with others.

• Haha
Reactions: Ranchdawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I hope to be wrong and we go 10-2, because we have the talent to do that.

Curious as to where this 10-win talent is. I haven’t seen a soul from our roster listed on any Top 100 NFL draft lists for 2024. The highest ranking I’ve been able to find for any player is Woody at #258, which would make him an 8th round pick. The draft, of course, only has 7 rounds.

The overall theme…..returning experience does not equal returning talent. We’re going to play at least 5 teams that are all loaded with at least some actual NFL football players. Expecting us to beat 3 of them without that level of talent is setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Curious as to where this 10-win talent is. I haven’t seen a soul from our roster listed on any Top 100 NFL draft lists for 2024. The highest ranking I’ve been able to find for any player is Woody at #258, which would make him an 8th round pick. The draft, of course, only has 7 rounds.

The overall theme…..returning experience does not equal returning talent. We’re going to play at least 5 teams that are all loaded with at least some actual NFL football players. Expecting us to beat 3 of them without that level of talent is setting yourself up for massive disappointment.
Well how did Leach win 9 last year ? We replace national champion Georgia with a very mediocre South Carolina , so 10 certainly looks attainable.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I supply stats for top offenses all the time but y'all ignore it because of passing yard records and completion percentage. I can't help it if you don't understand total yardage and that passing was our only offense the last 3 years. Sounds like you don't understand the facts. Yes will has a ton of yards. But all we did was pass. We still weren't in the top 25 total yards per game or points per game. Even with record setting passing yards for msu.
Oh, so you are comparing our stats when we play in the SEC with those that play in lesser leagues? When one of the big stat teams play an SEC team they don't put up glaring numbers unless they are P5 like us. Duh, did we really pass a lot over the last 3 years??? *** Yeah, you got me and the rest on here that slept through the last three years where we continued to improve our record. Look, we know you hated the Leach passing ball control offense. You've beat that horse to death and walked him dry. We don't play that offense anymore so cheer up. In fact, we'll probably run the ball ad nauseum so you and others that hated the air raid can bask in the joy of pro style offense and you only have to live with one more year of your nemesis Rogers.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Well how did Leach win 9 last year ? We replace national champion Georgia with a very mediocre South Carolina , so 10 certainly looks attainable.
Well first off, he won 8 in the regular season, in a year with most of our swing games at home. Strictly talent wise, we lost our best WR in the portal, we lost our best DB as a first round NFL draft pick, lost our best DT as a 4th round draft pick, and lost a really good RB in the portal as well. We arguably may have replaced DJ with Pittman, but those other 3 guys were not replaced with equal talent.

In summary, we have a schedule of 6 swing games in the SEC with only 2 at home. We have less overall talent than last season. And we’re running a brand new offense with a QB who no Power 5 schools wanted except the old coach who ran a very specific system that he was groomed for. There’s no reason to expect better results when the talent, schedule, and offensive learning curve are all worse.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

17 a rating, especially preseason. They never rate our guys that highly. You'd think that ya'll would be used to this after being a fan of us for this long.

I agree with the bolded part of the last paragraph. But I think our guys are alright. They aren't low talent. They are developed 6th seniors in most cases, and a lot of them. Most growth and development happens between 18-22. Even if younger guys are more talented, age does matter. And our WRs may be the most talented, but we haven't used them effectively.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
View attachment 403745

Averaging more than 2 yds MORE this season than last season in both rushing per play and passing per play. Also, the total offense per play in '22 was 5.5 and 392 yds per game. This season, 6.7 yds/play and 416 yds/game. I'll take that over watching the last 3 seasons any day.
This means nothing without context. You're comparing overall stats that included games vs SEC against games vs SELA and an Arizona defense not yet established as a good one.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
17 a rating, especially preseason. They never rate our guys that highly. You'd think that ya'll would be used to this after being a fan of us for this long.

I agree with the bolded part of the last paragraph. But I think our guys are alright. They aren't low talent. They are developed 6th seniors in most cases, and a lot of them. Most growth and development happens between 18-22. Even if younger guys are more talented, age does matter. And our WRs may be the most talented, but we haven't used them effectively.

Well if you don’t like the ratings, I’m seriously open to anything you can provide that says we have more NFL guys than we do. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about that. I spent quite awhile on the Googles trying to be wrong about it, actually. But I don’t think I am.

And regarding your statements on the second paragraph, all of that would be outstanding if we played in the Sun Belt, or maybe even the Big 12. But we don’t play in those leagues.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This means nothing without context. You're comparing overall stats that included games vs SEC against games vs SELA and an Arizona defense not yet established as a good one.
Its all we've got so far, you know, kind of like bashing the staff already after only 2 games when you have to assume they aren't showing anywhere near the entire offense

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Barbays team last year was better statistically speaking at app state than leach with MSU last year. With less latent they beat power 5 teams and went toe to toe with others.

2022 MSU played 8 teams that were definitely to very likely better than anybody on App State's 2022 schedule including 3 of the Top 10 teams in the country. We also played TAMU in common, who, with NC and Troy were among the 3 best App State played.

2022 App State also played 6 teams that were on the verge of or definitely not among the Top 100 college teams in the country.

In other words, you stats analysis in this case is completely pointless.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Can’t wait for Saturday afternoon/night if we don’t play well again’t LSU, 1/2 this board will have epileptic fits. Imagine if Arnett started 1-1 holy 17

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Oh, so you are comparing our stats when we play in the SEC with those that play in lesser leagues? When one of the big stat teams play an SEC team they don't put up glaring numbers unless they are P5 like us. Duh, did we really pass a lot over the last 3 years??? *** Yeah, you got me and the rest on here that slept through the last three years where we continued to improve our record. Look, we know you hated the Leach passing ball control offense. You've beat that horse to death and walked him dry. We don't play that offense anymore so cheer up. In fact, we'll probably run the ball ad nauseum so you and others that hated the air raid can bask in the joy of pro style offense and you only have to live with one more year of you nemesis Roy Rogers.
Yeh more of taking sacks on third down and not finding receiver across the middle down field or it getting batted down. Hmm lesser leagues like when teams like Tennessee UGA Ole Miss Ohio State Florida State Ark OU LSU ok state Louisville Clemson Florida Wake Utah UCF UCLA Duke North Carolina Memphis Kansas Oregon Oregon State South Carolina Washington Penn State. All those offenses were higher performers than ours last year. I threw in a bunch of power 5 teams and i threw in a bunch of non top 10 recruiters. There are a bunch of modified air raid teams I didn't add that use mobile qbs and zone read a lot that also put up big numbers. Sec versus power 5 is not as good as it used to be. SEC isn't dominating every power 5 school. Even uga played a close high scoring game in the playoff. Teams were putting up numbers on bama except us.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
We are certainly missing Forbes. Arizona had zero problem getting open against us.
Arizona was allowed to hold without limit after the Pac-12 refs saw us beginning to humiliate them on the LOS early. Look back at all of their big plays and I bet you'll find over 90% of them included obvious holding by their linemen. Makes getting open and delivering an accurate pass a helluva lot easier.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If I'm anywhere near as annoying as you were when you were on your anti-Cohen campaign from 2009-2013, then yeah maybe I need to reel it back in. One thing is for sure, you probably know how to spot irrational hate for a coach.
daaaaaaaaanngggg, @patdog GOAT went back to the Obama years for this smack.

• Haha
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Arizona was allowed to hold without limit after the Pac-12 refs saw us beginning to humiliate them on the LOS early. Look back at all of their big plays and I bet you'll find over 90% of them included obvious holding by their linemen. Makes getting open and delivering an accurate pass a helluva lot easier.

No doubt. Every time we rushed you could see them tugging on the back of Bookie's jersey.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
With a straight face you’re going to compare the defenses on *checks notes* App State’s schedule against ours. Cool story bro.
Okay I guess we will find out if his points per game snd yards per game ends up better or worse in the SEC. I do know that we didn't sniff the top 30 in offense in total yards or points per game running the highly touted pure air raid and passing 70 percent of the game. All we did was get a bunch of yards passing.
The spreads, modified modern air raid, and pro styles are performed higher at various levels of fbs with different styles.

in comparison for relativity sun belt had 9 teams that held opponents to less than 30 points a game so did the sec. 3 teams from each conference held teams to less than 20 points a game. Similar yards per game sun belt had 2 teams holding teams below 300 yds per game and sec only had 1. APL state was the second best team offensively in their conference. We were 8th in total offense and scoring offense in the sec. Defense we are 5 in total yards and 8th points per game. For all those passing records we were still 8th in our conference in scoring and in points per game.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Its all we've got so far, you know, kind of like bashing the staff already after only 2 games when you have to assume they aren't showing anywhere near the entire offense
When you don't yet have enough data to make a reasonable assessment, it is foolish to make one that lacks reason. Much better to wait until you do have enough to be taken seriously.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yeh more of taking sacks on third down and not finding receiver across the middle down field or it getting batted down. Hmm lesser leagues like when teams like Tennessee UGA Ole Miss Ohio State Florida State Ark OU LSU ok state Louisville Clemson Florida Wake Utah UCF UCLA Duke North Carolina Memphis Kansas Oregon Oregon State South Carolina Washington Penn State. All those offenses were higher performers than ours last year. I threw in a bunch of power 5 teams and i threw in a bunch of non top 10 recruiters. There are a bunch of modified air raid teams I didn't add that use mobile qbs and zone read a lot that also put up big numbers. Sec versus power 5 is not as good as it used to be. SEC isn't dominating every power 5 school. Even uga played a close high scoring game in the playoff. Teams were putting up numbers on bama except us.
We were 5th in the SEC in scoring offense and 8th in scoring defense. Only UT, Alabama, Georgia and OM were better. We beat Arky and OM and should have beaten LSU. UGA and Alabama beat us. When you consider our weakness kicking field goals which would have improved our scoring offense we were pretty good last year. I don't see the horrible 9-4 team you keeping complaining about. Our defense gave up a lot of points but our offense overcame them in most games. I enjoy your negative rants so keep it coming!

Last edited:

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Okay I guess we will find out if his points per game snd yards per game ends up better or worse in the SEC. I do know that we didn't sniff the top 30 in offense in total yards or points per game running the highly touted pure air raid and passing 70 percent of the game. All we did was get a bunch of yards passing.
The spreads, modified modern air raid, and pro styles are performed higher at various levels of fbs with different styles.

in comparison for relativity sun belt had 9 teams that held opponents to less than 30 points a game so did the sec. 3 teams from each conference held teams to less than 20 points a game. Similar yards per game sun belt had 2 teams holding teams below 300 yds per game and sec only had 1. APL state was the second best team offensively in their conference. We were 8th in total offense and scoring offense in the sec. Defense we are 5 in total yards and 8th points per game. For all those passing records we were still 8th in our conference in scoring and in points per game.
Why are you so eat up with yards per game? Isn't scoring offense more important? After all, the team with the most points wins. Ole Miss was great at yards per game but look how they did last year. Points win games not yards.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We were 5th in the SEC in scoring offense and 8th in scoring defense. Only UT, Alabama, Georgia and OM were better. We beat Arky and OM and should have beaten LSU. UGA and Alabama beat us. When you consider our weakness kicking field goals which would have improved our scoring offense we were pretty good last year. I don't see the horrible 10-4 team you keeping complaining about. Our defense gave up a lot of points but our offense overcame them in most games. I enjoy your negative rants so keep it coming!
Our defense bailed our slow offense out of many games the last 3 years. We were also better in games that we were more balanced and ran the ball more than usual. The key is balance. Mullen ran it too much. Leach threw it too much. Moorhead didn't know what he was doing. Barbay ran it too much last game. Not a rant, just staring facts and backed up by stats. I can post the link for you or screen shots if that will help you.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Why are you so eat up with yards per game? Isn't scoring offense more important? After all, the team with the most points wins. Ole Miss was great at yards per game but look how they did last year. Points win games not yards.
Yes, and we still didn't make the top half of the sec or top 30 in points per game which I also posted. Your reading comprehension must suck. Must not teach that on that ranch. Must not teach math or stats either. That or maybe you ate too much ranch and it's gone to your head.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We were 5th in the SEC in scoring offense and 8th in scoring defense. Only UT, Alabama, Georgia and OM were better. We beat Arky and OM and should have beaten LSU. UGA and Alabama beat us. When you consider our weakness kicking field goals which would have improved our scoring offense we were pretty good last year. I don't see the horrible 10-4 team you keeping complaining about. Our defense gave up a lot of points but our offense overcame them in most games. I enjoy your negative rants so keep it coming!
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016
Check your stats standings again bud.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
I absolutely blame Arnett. He made the original choice to pivot from the Air Raid (or anything similar to it) and fire all the Leach guys.

So far, I would say he's been a micromanager, which is not what we needed.

He can micro manage the defense all day fine with me. Otherwise, let YOUR hires loose and coach.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yes, and we still didn't make the top half of the sec or top 30 in points per game which I also posted. Your reading comprehension must suck. Must not teach that on that ranch. Must not teach math or stats either. That or maybe you ate too much ranch and it's gone to your head.
Yeah, you are so right Tro! Our 9-4 offense was terrible since they were only 5th in SEC scoring. They should have been 1st with Leach at the helm! ****

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
POTUS said:
I tell you what the Air Raid didn't suck at: Time of Possession. We may find out this year that our defense, which everyone admired last year, was propped up by that offense you find so terrible.
Yeah no

Here's the original post that started your negative thread. You didn't respond to POTUS with any facts or data to prove what he said was wrong. Please explain how he is wrong. We will enjoy your response football guru! It is exciting to have a poster on here that know soooo much more than our legendary coach Mike Leach. ****

• Haha

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Should be. Same players basically. A cornerback,3 safeties a linebacker and one DL. I figure Dillon and the WR we lost are a wash. That linebacker was a beast tho. And we all know about that great corner. Can we overcome that ?

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Should be. Same players basically. A cornerback,3 safeties a linebacker and one DL. I figure Dillon and the WR we lost are a wash. That linebacker was a beast tho. And we all know about that great corner. Can we overcome that ?
we also lost arguably our best offensive lineman.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I guess Deion Sanders doesn't share your disdain for Leach's offense: Deion calls Mike
What an idiot. Deon doesn't run leach's offense though. Nobody runs the pure air aid. Have you even watched colorado or Jackson state last season. They play with a mobile qb. They run and pass. That's what I've been trying to say about our offense you idiot. Thanks for proving my point.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The most talented 4-5 players from last year’s team are all gone. Forbes, Young, RaRa were 3 of them. We replaced them with basically no one. Lose all the top end talent and throw in a tougher schedule and a new offense, repeating 8 wins in the regular season should be the ceiling (as it is just about every year), and definitely not the most likely result.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The most talented 4-5 players from last year’s team are all gone. Forbes, Young, RaRa were 3 of them. We replaced them with basically no one. Lose all the top end talent and throw in a tougher schedule and a new offense, repeating 8 wins in the regular season should be the ceiling (as it is just about every year), and definitely not the most likely result.
Please explain how our schedule is tougher when we dropped the two-time defending national champions off of it.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login