LSU cleaning up in the baseball portal…

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We aren't going to be able to do it their way. Just not gonna happen.

And further, most average people would really like to see some details of these 'deals' before giving a cent for something like that. Paying players, NIL or not, is a rich man's game, for a man with plenty of disposable income. I'm guessing nobody on this site except fishwater is that type of man. If you are, listen to 8dog.

Last edited:

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
We aren't going to be able to do it their way. Just not gonna happen.

And further, most average people would really like to see some details of these 'deals' before giving a cent for something like that. Paying players, NIL or not, is a rich man's game, for a man with plenty of disposable income. I'm guessing nobody on this site except fishwater is that type of man. If you are, listen to 8dog.

NIL is nothing but buying transfers and recruits. Most of these guys aren't even having to do anything tangible that I can see for the money they are getting paid and even if they are they are getting money astronomically above market value.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What deals? We are simply trying to get talent. It’s helped us keep Tolu and Tyrus Wheat. It’s important and while the big pockets move the needle we especially need all we can get.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
What deals? We are simply trying to get talent. It’s helped us keep Tolu and Tyrus Wheat. It’s important and while the big pockets move the needle we especially need all we can get.
I'm curious what the collectives look like. Do they just pay the players a check weekly? Do you get to choose who you fund? Is there a list of who's on the payroll? Are the coaches directly involved?

We talk about LSU throwing money around, just curious who it is. Everybody assumes, but are there any facts?

Seems like the most reasonable thing that LSU is doing is likely an LLC started by a few rich alumni who have the ear of Jay Johnson. I don't think our slush fund will accomplish anything to compete with how LSU is getting these transfers.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Personally, I don't trust the university to spend my donation any better than a 18 year old.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
[email protected]. No one is saying we can get as many as they can. But we still need it to get players and to keep players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
If you believe the recruiting experts, we’re waiting to see how the draft shakes out. You also need to be wearing maroon shaded glasses while reading said experts information

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You don't have to give a ton to help.

If you commit to $500 a year or $10/week that helps.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
^^^100% correct^^^

Everyone needs to read this again and understand. We need this to attract AND KEEP good players.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Why on earth would we wait on draft if there is someone sitting there better than what we have. That’s how you end up missing on Sonny D. And yes I know we already had a first baseman. You can’t worry about hurting feelings anymore. If there is a stud out there you better get him if you have the chance. Everyone else is figuring out it’s rent a player now. We better get right or we will get left.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We are supposedly waiting on the draft because of the draft eligible
portal takes. We don’t want to commit to a kid only to have him go pro.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Tommy Tanks would rather hit bombs at Alex Box than Carnegie Hall? I thought the place sold itself?

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
We are supposedly waiting on the draft because of the draft eligible
portal takes. We don’t want to commit to a kid only to have him go pro.

The coaches know what players in the portal are draft eligible. If we are waiting on the draft to sign players that aren't draft eligible we are 17ed. All of the portal players LSU has signed are not draft eligible.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Tommy Tanks would rather hit bombs at Alex Box than Carnegie Hall? I thought the place sold itself?

One had to know that what UTenn was doing would result in NILpalooza with other SEC schools

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I dont think anyone disputes any of that including the coaches. We were never getting Tommy White But it’s why we went ahead and got Ledbetter.

Bagman.sixpack

Jan 13, 2021
One had to know that what UTenn was doing would result in NILpalooza with other SEC schools

And Tennessee baseball was a joke 5 years ago. The guy did it with good old fashioned hustle. We seem lazy from the outside looking in. I’m willing to recant that but that’s what we look like. Lazy recruiters.

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
Imagine Alabama or Georgia not being in it for an elite transfer at a position of need in football. It would never happen. Not being in it is far worse than we thought we had a shot but lost out on him.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
You are part of the problem

I’d rather spend money on my own kids that are at least loyal. I can understand why normal, hard-working middle class folks don’t or can’t give money to a system made to buy players who have no loyalty and there are no repercussions if they bolt to another place with that bag of cash.

It’s a ridiculous system and people know the deal. It doesn’t matter how much pocket change the regular folks contribute to this. We will never compete with anybody in the conference not named Vanderbilt. Hell if they ever got serious they would kick our asses too in the NIL game

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. We're bringing in a couple of 2nd tier transfers (and I'm being generous), while our rivals are bringing in All-Americans. I heard there would be a lot of turnover from this roster, but so far, I'm not really seeing it.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Exactly. We're bringing in a couple of 2nd tier transfers (and I'm being generous), while our rivals are bringing in All-Americans. I heard there would be a lot of turnover from this roster, but so far, I'm not really seeing it.

We're bringing in kids with similar and better numbers to those kids everyone is pining over from last year. Dollander and Sonny D weren't some insanely great take based on their numbers last year, but look at them. We've taken a pitcher that throws 99 and one of the best players in his league.
We're just taking a slow assed approach instead of taking guys and sorting it out later. But we don't have the number of spots available that LSU has.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We have 35 spots available for the right players. We’ll see. But if Lemonis blows this, he’ll find out his goodwill from last year will disappear quickly.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Imagine Alabama or Georgia not being in it for an elite transfer at a position of need in football. It would never happen. Not being in it is far worse than we thought we had a shot but lost out on him.

Our baseball program is historically much closer to Auburn football than the current Alabama / Georgia football. Top 10-15ish program on the aggregate of the past 20-25 years, but still only Top 6-7 in our own conference. We never have and never will recruit at LSU’s level.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

They brought in an All-American as in singular….a guy who everybody in the country wanted who no doubt went to the highest bidder. Little from Vandy is a guy who left because he couldn’t hold down his starting rotation spot, and is also the guy who we flat out shelled in Game 2 of the championship series. Wouldn’t call him an All-American but he probably could have helped our bullpen a bit. The Creighton guy is similar to Ledbetter, who we landed.

Two morals to the story. One, LSU continues to be the most advantaged program in all of college baseball, and you see the results of that now. Two, even they were only able to add 2-3 impact guys in the portal. You simply can’t quick fix an SEC roster with the portal alone. You have to recruit and develop from the HS ranks as the lifeblood of your program.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
They brought in an All-American as in singular….a guy who everybody in the country wanted who no doubt went to the highest bidder. Little from Vandy is a guy who left because he couldn’t hold down his starting rotation spot, and is also the guy who we flat out shelled in Game 2 of the championship series. Wouldn’t call him an All-American but he probably could have helped our bullpen a bit. The Creighton guy is similar to Ledbetter, who we landed.

Two morals to the story. One, LSU continues to be the most advantaged program in all of college baseball, and you see the results of that now. Two, even they were only able to add 2-3 impact guys in the portal. You simply can’t quick fix an SEC roster with the portal alone. You have to recruit and develop from the HS ranks as the lifeblood of your program.

I don't follow aTm much, but I thought I heard they have a ton of transfers

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
He can't pull a Polk and resist change and be just good enough. He's got a Natty, but he's on a shorter leash, I suspect, especially if Ole Miss wins and is good again next near (yes, what they do matters). I still think he gets two years. But this past year showed some pretty bad talent evaluation and an inability to develop pitchers. We also need a couple guys who can get on base.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He probably does get 2 years. But he HAS to show improvement next year to get 2024. He can’t win single digit SEC games again. Cohen has fired several coaches in sports were not as advantaged in for better results than that.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You didn’t need a transfer portal or nil deal for Jeffrey Simmons to get offered a lot of money to go to bama or ole miss

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The most concerning thing is that if the portal was not an option we would be absolutely screwed next year.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Our baseball program is historically much closer to Auburn football than the current Alabama / Georgia football. Top 10-15ish program on the aggregate of the past 20-25 years, but still only Top 6-7 in our own conference. We never have and never will recruit at LSU’s level.
Better get on out of here with those cold, harsh truths.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
He can't pull a Polk and resist change and be just good enough. He's got a Natty, but he's on a shorter leash, I suspect, especially if Ole Miss wins and is good again next near (yes, what they do matters). I still think he gets two years. But this past year showed some pretty bad talent evaluation and an inability to develop pitchers. We also need a couple guys who can get on base.

People continue to say this ****, but nobody can name valid examples of either instance. We had freshmen pitchers like Walker / Kohn who everybody wanted, and a few projects that didn’t pan out. If there’s any strike against Lemonis, its that we didn’t sign enough pitchers in the 2022 class, but even after signing only 6 and losing one to the draft, we still had to chase one off to JUCO before the season even started to make the numbers work. That tells me we had too much roster imbalance from the Cohen / Cannizarro signees that made up the 2018-2021 classes.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The most concerning thing is that if the portal was not an option we would be absolutely screwed next year.
Lot of teams in that position, not unique at all.

Ya'll are going a little crazy over LSU recruiting, when they are literally the top baseball program in the country. We will never catch them. We have never recruited like them. There aren't that many of these big-name transfers in baseball, so who cares. We don't get those players in high school anyway.

Damn I wish we could get back to the recruiting that actually built our program, and quit trying to 17 with these spoiled money-grubber pretty-boy types.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
How the hell is Lemonis resisting change? He's going after portal players. He went out and got a few grad transfers before the immediate transfer eligibility happened. You're just making **** up.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This isn’t true. Regular folks can contribute and make a difference but keep making excuses.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login