MAIS comes down hard on Hartfield Academy

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Postseason ban
$7500 fine
1 year show cause for two coaches

Apparently St. Joe turned them in. This is as big of a punishment as I have ever seen on the high school level.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
So these coaches approached a St. Joe player at a Hartfield-St. Joe basketball game in an era where everyone has a camera in their pocket?

October 20 - Hartfield vs. St. Joe. Might be the game of the year in the metro.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
A QB at St. Joes dad blew up over something at a game and got banned for the rest of the season from the campus. He then looked into other options to transfer his kid and the other athletes he was paying tuition for and most if not all of them transferred to Hartfield because of connections some of the players had with one of the coaches that got the show cause. St. Joe caught them in the act at the basketball game with other recordings as well and turned them in. The fact the committee voted 9-0 for all these penalties tells the story of how egregious this was.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Postseason ban
$7500 fine

Apparently St. Joe turned them in. This is as big of a punishment as I have ever seen on the high school level.
Is there that kind of pressure on the Hartfield coaching staff from administration?

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
A QB at St. Joes dad blew up over something at a game and got banned for the rest of the season from the campus. He then looked into other options to transfer his kid and the other athletes he was paying tuition for and most if not all of them transferred to Hartfield because of connections some of the players had with one of the coaches that got the show cause. St. Joe caught them in the act at the basketball game with other recordings as well and turned them in. The fact the committee voted 9-0 for all these penalties tells the story of how egregious this was.
There it is. Thanks for the inside knowledge.

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
Its kind of funny. I hate it for the kids, but even in the younger grades those guys are obsessed with winning. They'd rather win a 6th grade football game by 30 points with the same 11 kids than win by 20 and let the other 10-15 kids play. The recruiting of kids in the private schools is obvious, but I didnt know it was illegal.

again, hate it for those kids, but the adults in charge should be held accountable here.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Is there that kind of pressure on the Hartfield coaching staff from administration?
When University Christian and Pinelake Christian "merged" to create Hartfield, the idea was to create a Christian school with high academic rigor. They hired a headmaster from Atlanta and they started to create this school. After it opened, he figured out that the patrons of Hartfield weren't as interested in the Christian aspect and academic rigor so he left for a school in Kentucky.

Hartfield hired a headmaster from Prep, and they began an athletics-fueled expansion that completely changed the look of that school. They started beating Jackson Prep in everything and started attracting more families from 39047 and 39232. They went from MHSAA 1A to MAIS 6A in about 5 years. Hartfield and MRA have somewhat caught up with Prep and JA as the athletics-focused private schools with a lower price tag.

Christ Covenant is adding a high school grade year by year (full 9th grade this year, partial 10th grade), and Prep sees the writing on the wall, so they are opening a Lower School this year.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
As for Hartfield, it's going to catch up with them if they fail to keep growing. $14 million in debt to get where they are.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 2.51.20 PM.png

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
When University Christian and Pinelake Christian "merged" to create Hartfield, the idea was to create a Christian school with high academic rigor. They hired a headmaster from Atlanta and they started to create this school. After it opened, he figured out that the patrons of Hartfield weren't as interested in the Christian aspect and academic rigor so he left for a school in Kentucky.

Hartfield hired a headmaster from Prep, and they began an athletics-fueled expansion that completely changed the look of that school. They started beating Jackson Prep in everything and started attracting more families from 39047 and 39232. They went from MHSAA 1A to MAIS 6A in about 5 years. Hartfield and MRA have somewhat caught up with Prep and JA as the athletics-focused private schools with a lower price tag.

Christ Covenant is adding a high school grade year by year (full 9th grade this year, partial 10th grade), and Prep sees the writing on the wall, so they are opening a Lower School this year.
To clarify they hired Preps basketball coach to be their headmaster. And as of now have not had a ton of success against Prep or MRA. But they are going to be really really good in football this year if they can’t just get decent qb play. They didn’t like what they had so they got the NWR backup.

Reactions: Dont care

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Some Pinelake/Hartfield people can be cultish. I know some financially struggling families who are stretching themselves thin to send their kids to Hartfield, just because it is associated with Pinelake.

I've often wondered if the quick expansion would come tumbling down if we hit another 2008ish recession. Pinelake has never been an organization to shy away from spending money and hiring more staff than they likely need, and i think that may have carried over. Several years ago, I talked to a gentleman who had just moved here from another state (KY?) to be the athletic director at Hartfield, I asked him what sport he coached and his reply was, "none" he was just the AD.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
To clarify they hired Preps basketball coach to be their headmaster. And as of now have not had a ton of success against Prep or MRA. But they are going to be really really good in football this year if they can’t just get decent qb play. They didn’t like what they had so they got the NWR backup.
And that's why the big MAIS schools will never go to the MHSAA. They can always go to NWR, MC, Germantown, etc. and pick up whatever they need for the upcoming season.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Interesting. Had no idea they were that large.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Some Pinelake/Hartfield people can be cultish. I know some financially struggling families who are stretching themselves thin to send their kids to Hartfield, just because it is associated with Pinelake.

I've often wondered if the quick expansion would come tumbling down if we hit another 2008ish recession. Pinelake has never been an organization to shy away from spending money and hiring more staff than they likely need, and i think that may have carried over. Several years ago, I talked to a gentleman who had just moved here from another state (KY?) to be the athletic director at Hartfield, I asked him what sport he coached and his reply was, "none" he was just the AD.
There are some good people associated with Hartfield. But there are people who believe the mission has taken a back seat to minor athletic success.

I believe Christ Covenant is going to start attracting some of those families who want a high rigor, Christian environment. And CCS could eventually very well fall into the trap of athletics as well.

As for your observation - I posted above, they have taken on $14 million in debt to get to this point. They are probably okay now, but if they lose 50 students, they are operating in the red.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Its kind of funny. I hate it for the kids, but even in the younger grades those guys are obsessed with winning. They'd rather win a 6th grade football game by 30 points with the same 11 kids than win by 20 and let the other 10-15 kids play. The recruiting of kids in the private schools is obvious, but I didnt know it was illegal.

again, hate it for those kids, but the adults in charge should be held accountable here.
The Hartfield clan is the worst. They even do it like Upwards basketball. While everybody else is doing a draft and getting a diverse group of talent, they convince the league head that all the Hartfield kids need to carpool, assistant coaches kids need to be together, etc., and end up with a super team of kids that have played together and they don't have any weak links like everybody else. So they win. It's like all the kids self esteem is tied up in being with each other, instead of becoming the best athletes possible, and you achieve parity. I guess many parents get off on that though. It's basically like the college system, whereas the NFL has shown you the best way to do it for long-term health of the league. It's why many of the youth leagues just suck now. Crazy the parents that buy-in to the 'we have to keep this group together' garbage.

So yeah, this news is very funny.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Hartfield's "internal investigation"

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
$14 million in liabilities does not necessarily mean $14 million in debt. Could be with them, I really don’t know.
I mean I guess I get what you're saying. $14 million in debt could mean that liabilities exceed assets by $14 million.
But, still a debt is a liability, so $14 million in liabilities means you have $14 million worth of debt so.....

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
$14 million in liabilities does not necessarily mean $14 million in debt. Could be with them, I really don’t know.
True. Here is their latest IRS filing.

$227k salary to their headmaster.
$8.4 million in tuition
$226k in athletics revenue
$67k in fundraising

$5.5 million in total salaries
$825k in benefits
$40k in advertising
$640k in student/athletics activities

$385k in interest

They are sitting on $5.8 million in cash. That's healthy.

Liabilities - looks like about $10 million in bonds and mortgages. The rest is AP and deferred revenue.

Reactions: ronpolk

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
And St. Joes did the same thing and got nothing. Sour grapes. They all do stuff like this.

Reactions: MSBamaWard

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I mean I guess I get what you're saying. $14 million in debt could mean that liabilities exceed assets by $14 million.
But, still a debt is a liability, so $14 million in liabilities means you have $14 million worth of debt so.....
I have no idea what you’re attempting to say above but that is definitely not what I’m saying. I’m just saying that a liability can be several things other than straight loan debt that has to be repaid. There are lots of accrued liabilities (payroll, taxes, etc) that could be on the balance sheet. I know something with other private schools is advance paid tuition. I’m pretty sure that has to be listed as a liability until the service is provided.

Now I’ve never seen their balance sheet. It could be really be $14 million in loans. I would imagine loans make up the majority of the liabilities

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
What @OG Goat Holder says about Upward and the Hartfield bunch is 100% correct. I coached an Upward team one year at Pinelake and miracles of miracles a lot of the Hartfield kids ended up on the same team. Praise Jesus.

Full disclosure my oldest is at Prep and my youngest will be there next school year. I'm friends with a lot of Hartfield families, including the headmaster and football coach. With that said, today's decision couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch. While most of the people I know over there are good people, unfortunately they are letting some of the inmates run the asylum.

This gives a whole new meaning to their motto "All In".

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I refereed football and basketball at Hartfield a few times when the 'got big'. The feel at their games is certainly different than being at Simpson or Parklane or ACCS-like their **** doesn't stink. I had mo issues with anyone participating or attending, and I was treated well by the staff, etc. Just seemed a little weird being there.
Fans sit in the end zone intense up to the outer boundary. They tailgate the entire game.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Postseason ban
$7500 fine

Oh no! They won’t be able to play in the 1st round (semifinals) of the playoffs and lose to Prep.

• Haha
Reactions: 17itdawg

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
Except they literally beat Prep two years ago in the playoffs to go the championship game. Nice try though.

Sep 29, 2022
Have we discussed MRA's redshirt program? You know, telling all the parents of 7th and 8th graders to hold their kids back if they want a chance to play even if they're making straight As.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Have we discussed MRA's redshirt program? You know, telling all the parents of 7th and 8th graders to hold their kids back if they want a chance to play even if they're making straight As.
Winning those 2 grueling playoff games for a hard earned championship is worth it for those parents!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
So these coaches approached a St. Joe player at a Hartfield-St. Joe basketball game in an era where everyone has a camera in their pocket?

October 20 - Hartfield vs. St. Joe. Might be the game of the year in the metro.
I mean is it on camera somewhere that they asked him to come to Hartfield?

no idea and no dog in the fight but I talked to lots of opposing coaches in high school.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
There are some good people associated with Hartfield. But there are people who believe the mission has taken a back seat to minor athletic success.

I believe Christ Covenant is going to start attracting some of those families who want a high rigor, Christian environment. And CCS could eventually very well fall into the trap of athletics as well.

As for your observation - I posted above, they have taken on $14 million in debt to get to this point. They are probably okay now, but if they lose 50 students, they are operating in the red.
As far as I know - Christ Covenant is capping enrollment to 50 kids/grade.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I think CCS had like 11 kids in their new 9th grade class last year.
From what I understand there was no plan to offer a 9th grade last year but there were 10 families that were so excited for the vision that they allowed them to be the first class.

Their 9th grade this year will be a full 50. They received a nice gift to fund this. I heard that part of the gift capped their high school classes at 50 for at least a decade. When they have a full school, that will put them with Park Place, Tri County and Canton. Until then they are playing in Class A.

And just for fun, their volleyball team ( entirely 8th and 9th graders) just won the schools first ever varsity athletic event.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login