MAIS comes down hard on Hartfield Academy

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Recruiting by Academies has been going on since the 70's when most of them opened up. No laws against it that I have ever seen. And precedent of grabbing kids from public schools means they can't stop it between Academies.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Wouldn’t be surprised if they do this. Hartfield would be heaven for Freezus. Chip Henderson was/is “advisor” while he got in trouble in oxfart.
No doubt, I was all in on the Pinelake cool-aid in my younger years, that was one of the things that turned me against it.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Postseason ban
$7500 fine
1 year show cause for two coaches

Apparently St. Joe turned them in. This is as big of a punishment as I have ever seen on the high school level.
Good! Them ******* been cheating since they had the all-star orphans with the loaded bats and called themselves Natchez Trace! Looks like football is just as bad.

Yeah, I don’t care for their organization much!

Last edited:
Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Good! Them ******* been cheating since they had the all-star orphans with the loaded bats and called themselves Natchez Trace! Looks like football is just as bad.

Yeah, I don’t care for their organization much!
Natchez Trace and Sunnybrook…

Been years since I’ve been reminded of them.

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The Hartfield clan is the worst. They even do it like Upwards basketball. While everybody else is doing a draft and getting a diverse group of talent, they convince the league head that all the Hartfield kids need to carpool, assistant coaches kids need to be together, etc., and end up with a super team of kids that have played together and they don't have any weak links like everybody else. So they win. It's like all the kids self esteem is tied up in being with each other, instead of becoming the best athletes possible, and you achieve parity. I guess many parents get off on that though. It's basically like the college system, whereas the NFL has shown you the best way to do it for long-term health of the league. It's why many of the youth leagues just suck now. Crazy the parents that buy-in to the 'we have to keep this group together' garbage.

So yeah, this news is very funny.
It's like that in a lot of towns. Parents pay off city league folks so all their kids can be on the same team and it's usually the best hand picked kids then it just truckles over the junior high and high school

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

ShrubDog

Apr 13, 2008
Some Pinelake/Hartfield people can be cultish. I know some financially struggling families who are stretching themselves thin to send their kids to Hartfield, just because it is associated with Pinelake.

I've often wondered if the quick expansion would come tumbling down if we hit another 2008ish recession. Pinelake has never been an organization to shy away from spending money and hiring more staff than they likely need, and i think that may have carried over. Several years ago, I talked to a gentleman who had just moved here from another state (KY?) to be the athletic director at Hartfield, I asked him what sport he coached and his reply was, "none" he was just the AD.

Come on man you are really throwing out the cultish word when its been nothing but a 3 headed cabal with Prep, JA and MRA for 50 years? Coaches at those schools have been poaching players and giving out "sports scholarships" forever. The Neuro-linguistic programming taught from those schools - house - student created a fake enclave of entitlement clans based on the monetary value tied to tuition. Ricky doesn't have a lifted Tacoma with a brush guard and KC lights......what a shame.

Also, heaven forbid if some parents want the best for their kids even if that means making some dollars stretch. Pat on the back to all the guys dropping 5 digits on a catholic sounding school. Looks like there are a bunch of pawpaws from Prep, JA and MRA on this forum, sitting on their high horses, kicking the little man while he is down. The All metro cabal of higher academia have come together on this one.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Come on man you are really throwing out the cultish word when it’s been nothing but a 3 headed cabal with Prep, JA and MRA for 50 years? Coaches at those schools have been poaching players and giving out "sports scholarships" forever.

50 years ago JA was an elementary school and wouldn’t be playing high school football until 1980 and MRA was a podunk Class A school.

Jackson Prep is, of course, Prep. They’re the Flagship of MAIS and are finally showing some flexibility.

All of this is to say that while Hartfield isn’t a cult, they act like they want a seat at the table.

I’m finding that funny because Hartfield has a seat at the adult table, but they’re acting like…

oh come on arrested development GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Come on man you are really throwing out the cultish word when its been nothing but a 3 headed cabal with Prep, JA and MRA for 50 years? Coaches at those schools have been poaching players and giving out "sports scholarships" forever. The Neuro-linguistic programming taught from those schools - house - student created a fake enclave of entitlement clans based on the monetary value tied to tuition. Ricky doesn't have a lifted Tacoma with a brush guard and KC lights......what a shame.

Also, heaven forbid if some parents want the best for their kids even if that means making some dollars stretch. Pat on the back to all the guys dropping 5 digits on a catholic sounding school. Looks like there are a bunch of pawpaws from Prep, JA and MRA on this forum, sitting on their high horses, kicking the little man while he is down. The All metro cabal of higher academia have come together on this one.
Guess we now know whether or not you Pinelake, bro

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021

I think this went way over your head.🤷‍♂️

ShrubDog

Apr 13, 2008
Guess we now know whether or not you Pinelake, bro
I’m not familiar with PineLake and the history like the historians. I guess your family has first Pres stickers and stuff on their SUV’s?
5 digit dads should be proud. One question for you guys. Do the cabal and the Catholic kids have less drug/mental problems than the less expensive schools? If so that could be worth the price of tuition.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I have a genuine question, and I am stepping out of character a little, but what is the deal with Pinelake? Why do some people love it so much and some people hate it so much? I know never break kayfabe, and I ask this as someone that did not grow up in the area but now lives here. And someone that has heard multiple stories of how wonderful it is and just as many that it is an evil cult planning our downfall. Also to give context I have lived in Brandon for ten years, and I have never stepped foot in Pinelake just heard about it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have a genuine question, and I am stepping out of character a little, but what is the deal with Pinelake? Why do some people love it so much and some people hate it so much? I know never break kayfabe, and I ask this as someone that did not grow up in the area but now lives here. And someone that has heard multiple stories of how wonderful it is and just as many that it is an evil cult planning our downfall. Also to give context I have lived in Brandon for ten years, and I have never stepped foot in Pinelake just heard about it.
They brought in Hugh Freeze as a guest preacher on more than one occasion. That should tell you all you need to know about Pinelake.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Truth is in the middle. It's not as awful as they say, but they definitely like to spend money, build monstrosities and definitely are obsessed with image. If you are hardcore extroverted, love to post on social media, like to keep up with the Jones, like to live Christian culture and feel good and hide any negative aspect of your life, and need 'frans' and acceptance constantly, Pinelake could be good for you. But there are worse things out there, for sure.

They certainly aren't negative and cynical, so they have that going for them.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Do the cabal and the Catholic kids have less drug/mental problems than the less expensive schools? If so that could be worth the price of tuition.

I’m not an expert (no children and NOT a native Jacksonian) but my guess is that they’re more expensive because the schools and administrators now recognize all students are not the same and have their own individual concerns which means they’re geared up a bit more to help them.

And that’s good because this ain’t the 70s and 80s. I had some struggles at the academy I attended.

If I were maybe 20 years younger, I’d likely have been diagnosed as being on the spectrum much earlier than I was.

So with my background in mind, let me ask you this question: Does Hartfield do anything to help its neurodivergent students or do the staff and administration have the attitudes of folks who worked at 70s/80s country academies?

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Truth is in the middle. It's not as awful as they say, but they definitely like to spend money, build monstrosities and definitely are obsessed with image. If you are hardcore extroverted, love to post on social media, like to keep up with the Jones, like to live Christian culture and feel good and hide any negative aspect of your life, and need 'frans' and acceptance constantly, Pinelake could be good for you. But there are worse things out there, for sure.

They certainly aren't negative and cynical, so they have that going for them.
this is pretty spot on....i remember Pinelake folks when I lived in Jackson....moved to Oxford and now they are here building the same image here too....cultish is a word i have used in the past, but probably for a lack of a better word....they certainly try really, really hard to create the image of holier-than-thou......

personally, im not a fan of churches trying to become 6 Flags over Jesus

Last edited:

MSBamaWard

Feb 3, 2023
Most private schools do this, I was recruited like crazy by a few my soph, junior and senior year in highschool. I stayed in public school and went on to JuCo.. but it was crazy some of the unique ways and offers we were presented with. ACCS, Trinity, JA, Prep, Simpson, and Centerville were the ones I remember the most. Espically ACCS and Prep at that time, or atleast for us. Didn’t a private school in Greenville just recruit like this and had teams that would even ply them in football? And if the St Joe dad got upset and moved other kids he was paying for.. isn’t that a red flag on St Joe too? Or is it legal and ok to have donors pay kids tuition to play sports that can’t afford the school? Just trying to understand all this

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
this is pretty spot on....i remember Pinelake folks when I lived in Jackson....moved to Oxford and now they are here building the same image here too....cultish is a word i have used in the past, but probably for a lack of a better word....they certainly try really, really hard to create the image of holier-than-thou......
Pinelake's unofficial motto: "we build churches in places where there are already plenty of churches.

Before Pinelake became "Six Flags over Jesus," when it was on Spillway Road, it was a great church where people really cared about and helped each other.

When it became what it is now, it morphed into being about the show, full of "look at me" Christians like the Right Reverend Freezus. Freezus: "I'm a sinner and I'm having my own funeral, look at me!" I'm a sinner and I'm taking my team to Hati for a mission trip, look at me!" I'm not worthy, look at me!"

As even Chip Henderson has said, "pride is the greatest sin."

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
Who the 17 are you?
I’m a Tennessee fan/Mississippi State fan, Tennessee comes first. Sister graduated from State in 2011. Private school product via Hillcrest. The older I get, the more I think Hartfield is Hillcrest 2.0 and will never catch up to Prep athletically.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
It’s funny the hate on Pinelake and literally lies thrown out about their members. Did they bring in Hugh Freeze yep, I’ve been to a many churches in my nearly 50 years that have brought in false prophets to teach. I’ve witnessed Pinelake members help the poor. Come to people’s needs who are in unthinking situations. Throughout the Bible it teaches you will persecuted for following the Lord. Time and time again I’ve witnessed it. Are Christians at Pinelake perfect, heck naw but I haven’t been through the doors of a church where I’ve met perfect Christians.
It’s ironic a Haiti mission trip was mentioned as I know a family that provides tremendous support to Haiti. Some of you may want to volunteer your time for it as your hearts maybe changed. It’s ironic y’all care more about high school sports for rich kids. Another mentioned Pinelake churches mission and buildings popping up everywhere. If you ever visited and inquired their mission is clearly stated and they focus on reaching college age students. There’s plenty research that shows this is an important age to reach individuals and provide the good news of Christ too.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

personally, im not a fan of churches trying to become 6 Flags over Jesus
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there were several non-fans of Jesus becoming 6 Flags over the temples. ***********

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Have we discussed MRA's redshirt program? You know, telling all the parents of 7th and 8th graders to hold their kids back if they want a chance to play even if they're making straight As.
Redshirting in middle school?
That should be done after preschool. It’s called TK or PreK. Essentially holding a kid back before Kindergarten. Very common at my kids school. Mainly for the boys of course.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
It’s funny the hate on Pinelake and literally lies thrown out about their members. Did they bring in Hugh Freeze yep, I’ve been to a many churches in my nearly 50 years that have brought in false prophets to teach. I’ve witnessed Pinelake members help the poor. Come to people’s needs who are in unthinking situations. Throughout the Bible it teaches you will persecuted for following the Lord. Time and time again I’ve witnessed it. Are Christians at Pinelake perfect, heck naw but I haven’t been through the doors of a church where I’ve met perfect Christians.
It’s ironic a Haiti mission trip was mentioned as I know a family that provides tremendous support to Haiti. Some of you may want to volunteer your time for it as your hearts maybe changed. It’s ironic y’all care more about high school sports for rich kids. Another mentioned Pinelake churches mission and buildings popping up everywhere. If you ever visited and inquired their mission is clearly stated and they focus on reaching college age students. There’s plenty research that shows this is an important age to reach individuals and provide the good news of Christ too.
When the Bible foretells persecution, it is referring to being flogged, imprisoned, or even killed. I don't think facetious remarks on a message board count.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Redshirting in middle school?
That should be done after preschool. It’s called TK or PreK. Essentially holding a kid back before Kindergarten. Very common at my kids school. Mainly for the boys of course.
Yes. There is an entire program to hold back 8th graders for athletic purposes.

Reactions: MSBamaWard

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Yes. There is an entire program to hold back 8th graders for athletic purposes.
The other thing I heard about this is if their athletic career doesn't come to fruition - they can graduate with their normal class and not a year behind. No idea how accurate that is.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
The other thing I heard about this is if their athletic career doesn't come to fruition - they can graduate with their normal class and not a year behind. No idea how accurate that is.

I'll address a few things in this thread.

1. Hartfield didn't hire Prep's basketball coach to be their head of shcool. They hired Prep's basketball coach to be their basketball coach. He later became the head of school after serving as their director of student life.

That statement is less true than if I were to say that Prep hired a mom's morning out director to plan, open, and run their new elementary school. This would be true, but it hardly paints the whole picture. So I wouldn't say it.

2. There is no program for redshirting 8th graders. Parents can choose that just as they do anywhere else, and it's been going on at private schools in the metro for the past 25 years.

3. Hartfield wants to be good at sports like everyone else except for Park Place. MRA sold their souls long ago. Hartfield has had some success against Prep over the last few years, but MRA has been on a different level. I wouldn't necessarily put those two in the same group when talking about who Hartfield has been able to compete with. Prep finally hired a good football coach, so they look to be back on track.

4. Hugh Freeze spoke at Pinelake once. I was there. It's a shame he was able to do that.

No matter what Hartfield puts out, this is embarrassing for them. It does seem like they were singled out to be picked on given the MRA and JA recruiting shenanigans over the years, but it's still embarrassing.

My kids go to none of the schools in question, but I'm pretty familiar with the people involved. I don't have a dog in the hunt.

Reactions: jb1020

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'll address a few things in this thread.

1. Hartfield didn't hire Prep's basketball coach to be their head of shcool. They hired Prep's basketball coach to be their basketball coach. He later became the head of school after serving as their director of student life.

That statement is less true than if I were to say that Prep hired a mom's morning out director to plan, open, and run their new elementary school. This would be true, but it hardly paints the whole picture. So I wouldn't say it.

2. There is no program for redshirting 8th graders. Parents can choose that just as they do anywhere else, and it's been going on at private schools in the metro for the past 25 years.

3. Hartfield wants to be good at sports like everyone else except for Park Place. MRA sold their souls long ago. Hartfield has had some success against Prep over the last few years, but MRA has been on a different level. I wouldn't necessarily put those two in the same group when talking about who Hartfield has been able to compete with. Prep finally hired a good football coach, so they look to be back on track.

4. Hugh Freeze spoke at Pinelake once. I was there. It's a shame he was able to do that.

No matter what Hartfield puts out, this is embarrassing for them. It does seem like they were singled out to be picked on given the MRA and JA recruiting shenanigans over the years, but it's still embarrassing.

My kids go to none of the schools in question, but I'm pretty familiar with the people involved. I don't have a dog in the hunt.
Thanks for clarifying. My main point on the headmaster is they didn’t go pick off Preps headmaster. The way it was phrased in the original post sounded like they did

MRA very much facilitates a hold back program. They held back 10-15 boys last year solely for athletics. Of course you dont have to do it but you are told it would be best for you to see the field. They sell you on college credits during your “senior year”. It’s very much something no one else is doing and they are very open about it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There’s plenty research that shows this is an important age to reach individuals that will have higher incomes and more opportunity to tithe.
FIFY.

Brother I feel you, I was there since before Pinelake became a mega church. I bought it all and was the biggest supporter/defender there was....until my eyes were opened.

Invest that money into dilapidated areas in downtown Jxn, providing affordable housing, good after-school care, etc., and you could impact the community much greater than a $5mil building (along with the accompanying payroll) in Oxford, Starkville or Clinton. There are more churches than Carter has liver pills already serving those populations.

If you're into the tithe (I drank that cool aid for decades), think about where that money goes. If you see huge buildings, a lot of staff, paid retreats/training sessions, and senior church leaders who are living in million-dollar homes, that's probably not what Jesus intended. Rather than tithe, overtip, that puts the money directly into the hands of folks (many are single moms) who really need it and prove they are willing to work for it.

If you go to a mega church, the next time a budget vote is held, check out the materials they pass out. It'll be a glossy brochure with feel-good stories, and very general budget numbers. What it won't have is line item income and expenses, unlike a small church where every expense is listed. In a small church, everyone knows the preacher(s) exact compensation down to money set aside in an annuity for him.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I heard the MAIS turned down Hartfield's appeal in the last few days.
Upon further look at the evidence, there is zero doubt. This is why the MAIS voted unanimously with zero opposition to impose the penalties outlined in the rule book.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
FIFY.

Brother I feel you, I was there since before Pinelake became a mega church. I bought it all and was the biggest supporter/defender there was....until my eyes were opened.

Invest that money into dilapidated areas in downtown Jxn, providing affordable housing, good after-school care, etc., and you could impact the community much greater than a $5mil building (along with the accompanying payroll) in Oxford, Starkville or Clinton. There are more churches than Carter has liver pills already serving those populations.

If you're into the tithe (I drank that cool aid for decades), think about where that money goes. If you see huge buildings, a lot of staff, paid retreats/training sessions, and senior church leaders who are living in million-dollar homes, that's probably not what Jesus intended. Rather than tithe, overtip, that puts the money directly into the hands of folks (many are single moms) who really need it and prove they are willing to work for it.

If you go to a mega church, the next time a budget vote is held, check out the materials they pass out. It'll be a glossy brochure with feel-good stories, and very general budget numbers. What it won't have is line item income and expenses, unlike a small church where every expense is listed. In a small church, everyone knows the preacher(s) exact compensation down to money set aside in an annuity for him.
I glanced at their website. Their total payroll must be astronomical.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login