MAIS comes down hard on Hartfield Academy

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Where are the rules posted again? New site not as easy to find stuff

In SixPackSpeak Remembers…

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Be like the Alabama private schools and join in with the public schools. No more Mickey Mouse championships.

Don't think you'll ever get an agreement on the right "multiplier" for determining classification.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Don't think you'll ever get an agreement on the right "multiplier" for determining classification.
Sure. But all of Prep’s “championships” are a joke. Whereas the private schools in Alabama win the real thing when they win one.

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
Hartfield is definitely going the “if ya ain’t cheatin ya ain’t tryin” route. Even down to the 6th and 7th grade level. They’ve got kids on the 6th grade teams that should be in the 8th. But they’re doing it out of love for Jesus so it’s all good
Yeah, because other private schools don't cheat at all.

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
Be like the Alabama private schools and join in with the public schools. No more Mickey Mouse championships.
Dude, go check the records of private schools vs public schools lately. You'd be amazed. Most of the public schools around here are Mickey Mouse.

Reactions: mdm3045

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
The pine lake hartfield combo definitely gives out the cult vibes.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but I can assure I'm no damn cult member and have two kids at Hartfield. Now, I can tell you that I've been to every game since my daughter was in 7th grade because she was cheering on the sidelines. It's called supporting your kids. But then again, I'm glad she's graduating because I'm tired of paying.

Reactions: paindonthurt

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
Sure. But all of Prep’s “championships” are a joke. Whereas the private schools in Alabama win the real thing when they win one.
Yes, Prep's trophy case is like OM's, bunch of nothingness. However, these days, I'll take any of the big 3 against any other public school. When I say big 3, I mean MRA, Prep and Hartfield. JA is done.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Dude, go check the records of private schools vs public schools lately. You'd be amazed. Most of the public schools around here are Mickey Mouse.
Frankly more schools’ football teams — public and private — are Mouseketeers.

And it’s generally it’s because

1. there’s not a lot of buy-in into the game by people with football experience who could be coaches who I’ve seen discuss in the stands why players aren’t being taught about proper technique.

2. kids aren’t interested in football. It used to be the main thing— but not so much anymore. Too many things going on. Kids have different things they’d rather do.

3. Parents don’t want kids to get head injuries and don’t want them to play.

Reactions: Rezdog

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’d venture to say prep, Mra, JA, hartfield etc would wreak havoc if they were placed in same divisions based on students.

Probably would win a lot of championships even when they were reclassified.

Reactions: mdm3045 and Rezdog

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yes, Prep's trophy case is like OM's, bunch of nothingness. However, these days, I'll take any of the big 3 against any other public school. When I say big 3, I mean MRA, Prep and Hartfield. JA is done.
JA is going to have one of the best basketball teams in the state this year public or private.

Reactions: Faustdog

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
JA is going to have one of the best basketball teams in the state this year public or private.
Yep. Mo Williams just enrolled his kids there. Along with what they already had they will be tough. Dampier's kid is playing for the high school team at MRA as an 8th grader.

BioChemDawg

Nov 10, 2016
I haven't kept up with MAIS very recently, but 10 years ago I remember Prep beating Pearl, Forest, and a really good Bassfield team including Jamal Peters. They also played within 10 of a DK Metcalf led Oxford High if I remember correctly. All that to say, the metro area private schools certainly wouldn't be as dominate in MHSAA, but don't kid yourselves that they wouldn't hold their own playing in the appropriate division.

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
I haven't kept up with MAIS very recently, but 10 years ago I remember Prep beating Pearl, Forest, and a really good Bassfield team including Jamal Peters. They also played within 10 of a DK Metcalf led Oxford High if I remember correctly. All that to say, the metro area private schools certainly wouldn't be as dominate in MHSAA, but don't kid yourselves that they wouldn't hold their own playing in the appropriate division.
Hartfield beat Lafayette County this year

BigDawgs26

Aug 22, 2012
Public/Private is not a fair contest. Saint Andrews competes in public school 2A. Tuition is $20k a year. Our 4A soccer team played them a couple weeks ago and the coach informed us they had picked up a couple kids from Brandon and MC this year. In others words they recruited them over. They proceeded to beat us pretty bad in boys.

mdm3045

Dec 8, 2018
Public/Private is not a fair contest. Saint Andrews competes in public school 2A. Tuition is $20k a year. Our 4A soccer team played them a couple weeks ago and the coach informed us they had picked up a couple kids from Brandon and MC this year. In others words they recruited them over. They proceeded to beat us pretty bad in boys.
Soccer doesn’t count as a real sport though***

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That's all good and well but I doubt it's up to just Prep or MRA or whoever. If I recall the state athletic association (MHSSA maybe?) chased out a couple of catholic schools that were near the border of the state by not allowing them to have out of state students participate in sports, even when it would be the obvious school for them to go to. So I would be surprised if they really wanted Prep or MRA or whoever without a pretty stout multiplier.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Oak Grove beat MRA this year. Taylorsville beat Prep a couple years ago.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Sure they wouldn’t consider it fair if they had to play in the 4A division against someone with 5 times the students

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Yep. The better private schools tend to fair pretty well when they match up with public schools.

In football, by all accounts the MRA vs Oak Grove overtime game this year was one of the best games of the season.

Oak Grove is one of the last four football teams playing in the biggest public school division. MRA lost to Prep and Hartfield.

That’s not to say those teams would have beaten Oak Grove, but this huge public/private gap that people want to imagine just isn’t there with the better private schools.

Hartfield has something six or seven D1 prospects, and most of them have been there since 7th grade or earlier.

They also lost some talented kids over the last few years to NWR, Brandon, and Terry. And if I’m not mistaken they lost a really talented linebacker to Prep several years ago.

These kids move now for sports. It’s just not uncommon anymore.

Reactions: mdm3045

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Why and how was the post season ban lifted?
For all of the bluster of the original MAIS statement, when it came down to it they had zero actual evidence of any cheating.

They had audio-less video of a coach at a basketball game talking to a kid who he had a close family relationship with. The family provided pictures of the coach and the kid from the time he was in elementary school.

The kid visited MRA, Brandon, and several other schools because he was unhappy where he was. He went to Hartfield and made some folks mad.

In the end it came down to some other schools eager to eliminate their competition.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep. The better private schools tend to fair pretty well when they match up with public schools.

In football, by all accounts the MRA vs Oak Grove overtime game this year was one of the best games of the season.

Oak Grove is one of the last four football teams playing in the biggest public school division. MRA lost to Prep and Hartfield.

That’s not to say those teams would have beaten Oak Grove, but this huge public/private gap that people want to imagine just isn’t there with the better private schools.

Hartfield has something six or seven D1 prospects, and most of them have been there since 7th grade or earlier.

They also lost some talented kids over the last few years to NWR, Brandon, and Terry. And if I’m not mistaken they lost a really talented linebacker to Prep several years ago.

These kids move now for sports. It’s just not uncommon anymore.
I watched the Prep game vs West Jones this year. My take was the Preps skill position players are legit. But they were badly outmatched on the lines, especially vs Wests defensive line. WJ won 24-6.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I watched the Prep game vs West Jones this year. My take was the Preps skill position players are legit. But they were badly outmatched on the lines, especially vs Wests defensive line. WJ won 24-6.
Yeah West Jones is badass. 12-0 in 6A.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login