MAIS comes down hard on Hartfield Academy

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I glanced at their website. Their total payroll must be astronomical.
any church/ministry that is not transparent on the money coming in needs to really think about their call and the abuse of trust

do an audit and report the result of the audit or you can just assume they are hiding things for a reason. should never ever have anything to hide related to money. ever.

Reactions: msstatelp1

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
any church/ministry that is not transparent on the money coming in needs to really think about their call and the abuse of trust

do an audit and report the result of the audit or you can just assume they are hiding things for a reason. should never ever have anything to hide related to money. ever.
no doubt, if you are dealing with taxpayer money or donated money, those taxed or who have donated, should be able to see where every dollar come from and went. Anyone can look up the salary of a federal employee, by agency and name.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Thanks for clarifying. My main point on the headmaster is they didn’t go pick off Preps headmaster. The way it was phrased in the original post sounded like they did

MRA very much facilitates a hold back program. They held back 10-15 boys last year solely for athletics. Of course you dont have to do it but you are told it would be best for you to see the field. They sell you on college credits during your “senior year”. It’s very much something no one else is doing and they are very open about it.
To what end? Win 2 whole games and flex that "state" championship ring?

JA has done things in volleyball that make you scratch your head. They poach the best players out of area MSHAA schools to beat up on their much less talented MAIS counterparts and compete in a few out of state tournaments. Then they win a couple of rounds and are state champions

I just can't imagine holding a kid back for such a small payoff at the end. But I guess it shouldn't surprise anyone. We live in the age of brawls at little league fields after all.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They poach the best players out of area MSHAA schools to beat up on their much less talented MAIS counterparts and compete in a few out of state tournaments. Then they win a couple of rounds and are state champions
I've heard private school parents (my kids went to NWR and never big into sports) complain about a coach "arranging" a scholarship for player to come take their kid's playing time, when they have payed tuition since kindergarten. I've heard this from several Canton Academy parents, I'm assuming this goes on everywhere?

Does administration just say, "oh well" thanks for the 6 figures of tuition you've paid, but your kid "got beat out?" I've always wondered how this dynamic works.

Although most parents will say they are sending kids to private school for a better education, Christian environment, etc., there are a few that want their kids to pay sports above anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I've heard private school parents (my kids went to NWR and never big into sports) complain about a coach "arranging" a scholarship for player to come take their kid's playing time, when they have payed tuition since kindergarten. I've heard this from several Canton Academy parents, I'm assuming this goes on everywhere?

Does administration just say, "oh well" thanks for the 6 figures of tuition you've paid, but your kid "got beat out?" I've always wondered how this dynamic works.

Although most parents will say they are sending kids to private school for a better education, Christian environment, etc., there are a few that want their kids to pay sports above anything else.

This is one reason why we kept our son at Wesson instead of going to Copiah. We got our butts kicked in Region 7-3A basketball, and he played nearly every minute in junior and senior years and did pretty well. He would have sat the bench at Copiah behind recruited players. Plus, the tuition was out of the question.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023

JA has done things in volleyball that make you scratch your head. They poach the best players out of area MSHAA schools to beat up on their much less talented MAIS counterparts and compete in a few out of state tournaments. Then they win a couple of rounds and are state champions

I just can't imagine holding a kid back for such a small payoff at the end. But I guess it shouldn't surprise anyone. We live in the age of brawls at little league fields after all.
All the JA volleyball players hate the coach too.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I know folks whose daughter is in travel volleyball (is that the right term?) and plays for JA.

I just presume that JA wants as well-rounded extracurricular (including athletics programs) activities as possible to attract as many students as it can.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018

I am sending my kids to private for the Christian environment and education, but I assume the administration wouldn’t owe anyone an explanation. Education is education and athletics are athletics. If paying tuition earned a kid a starting spot on an athletic team not sure how that’s supposed to work out.

That said, I don’t contribute to the booster club and I don’t hound the coaches at every event politicking for a future spot in the starting lineup for my kids either like I see some doing (my kids haven’t reached that age yet as far as teams go). If they end up on a team then there will be enough fees to pay when the time comes the way I see it, and then I’ll contribute when they are actually competing. If somebody wants to give to the booster club before that then so be it.

My kids are into baseball and basketball so if they are good enough but get blacklisted due to politics then there are other avenues to compete, unlike football.

Jul 5, 2020
FIFY.

Brother I feel you, I was there since before Pinelake became a mega church. I bought it all and was the biggest supporter/defender there was....until my eyes were opened.

Invest that money into dilapidated areas in downtown Jxn, providing affordable housing, good after-school care, etc., and you could impact the community much greater than a $5mil building (along with the accompanying payroll) in Oxford, Starkville or Clinton. There are more churches than Carter has liver pills already serving those populations.

If you're into the tithe (I drank that cool aid for decades), think about where that money goes. If you see huge buildings, a lot of staff, paid retreats/training sessions, and senior church leaders who are living in million-dollar homes, that's probably not what Jesus intended. Rather than tithe, overtip, that puts the money directly into the hands of folks (many are single moms) who really need it and prove they are willing to work for it.

If you go to a mega church, the next time a budget vote is held, check out the materials they pass out. It'll be a glossy brochure with feel-good stories, and very general budget numbers. What it won't have is line item income and expenses, unlike a small church where every expense is listed. In a small church, everyone knows the preacher(s) exact compensation down to money set aside in an annuity for him.
Bravo. Well said. If your place of worship ever needs to run a "capital campaign", it's time to take a walk. Also, Christian Protestantism was formed on the revelation that humans didn't need an intermediary to commune with god, so maybe don't sweat going to church and spend that time with your family or serving the community directly.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I am sending my kids to private for the Christian environment and education, but I assume the administration wouldn’t owe anyone an explanation. Education is education and athletics are athletics. If paying tuition earned a kid a starting spot on an athletic team not sure how that’s supposed to work out.

That said, I don’t contribute to the booster club and I don’t hound the coaches at every event politicking for a future spot in the starting lineup for my kids either like I see some doing (my kids haven’t reached that age yet as far as teams go). If they end up on a team then there will be enough fees to pay when the time comes the way I see it, and then I’ll contribute when they are actually competing. If somebody wants to give to the booster club before that then so be it.

My kids are into baseball and basketball so if they are good enough but get blacklisted due to politics then there are other avenues to compete, unlike football.
Question, if you don't mind. Does your school teach that the earth is less than 10k years old? Some younger preachers try to "skirt around" this question, but just curious what is taught in Christian schools.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
It so easy to recruit players at a metro area private school because there are NO rules about it as long as the kid comes from public to private. The only way you can get in trouble is to openly recruit a player at another private school.

So it's extremely dumb to take that risk and it appears Hartfield is that dumb.

Reactions: WGWTFAon3

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
I’m not an expert (no children and NOT a native Jacksonian) but my guess is that they’re more expensive because the schools and administrators now recognize all students are not the same and have their own individual concerns which means they’re geared up a bit more to help them.
From what I have seen, this isn't it.

A close family friend of ours had their young kid essentially "pushed out" of one of the prominent Jackson privates schools due to the kid being a little more challenging to deal with.....it was made clear that the kid could either acclimate or they should look into more accommodating options. For context, this kid was 7 or so and very intelligent, but struggles with some physical issues that lead to some relatively minor behavioral issues. They moved to one of the suburb's good public schools where the kid gets some additional guidance and is doing much, much better.

They have one hell of a performing arts center though.

• Sad
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
From what I have seen, this isn't it.

Disappointing. And possibly short-sighted even.

I know parents with special needs children who’ve had trouble dealing with public school districts so I wondered if the higher fees meant that private schools were helping such students.

ShrubDog

Apr 13, 2008
Any updates on this shitshow?

Yeah Hartfield beat everyone's *** this season, didn't lose a game and pissed off a bunch Preppy's when they beat them 21-0 for the state title on Saturday. Prep boys telling their moms they want to transfer to Hartfield now just to play football.

This is my last post and appreciate what DS has done but it's the same BS from the old timers going on how many years now?

Oh and wanted to say 17 all of yall one last time.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I am not a fan of the “everybody gets a trophy” thought process that took over, but the ”all that matters is the trophy” mentality is just as bad. The whole point of sports when you are in junior high and high school is honestly to teach kids to take criticism, work hard, learn how to win and lose, create memories, etc, etc. If you are the next Michael Jordan, that will happen. It’s supposed to be about the kids. All of this BS is for the parents.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah Hartfield beat everyone's *** this season, didn't lose a game and pissed off a bunch Preppy's when they beat them 21-0 for the state title on Saturday. Prep boys telling their moms they want to transfer to Hartfield now just to play football.

This is my last post and appreciate what DS has done but it's the same BS from the old timers going on how many years now?

what-is-this-whats-happening.gif

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

Congrats on your "state" championship. Where is the parade?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Disappointing. And possibly short-sighted even.

I know parents with special needs children who’ve had trouble dealing with public school districts so I wondered if the higher fees meant that private schools were helping such students.
As a parent with a disabled child I can assure you the resources available are not adequate at the public or private level. Anything we have wanted done for our daughter has involved my wife crawling through broken glass to make it happen. This was at the both the private and public schools.

now they will do photo ops and act like it is there, but it is not. Not unless your disabled child fits into a nice category that is simple to deal with, which virtually none of them do.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Tom Hanks Hello GIF
Wave Goodbye GIF by Beauty Brands
Donald Trump Uk GIF
Bai Reaction GIF
Dont Forget To Go When You Leave Phylicia Rashad GIF by Republic Records
Angry Black And White GIF

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Did the "allegedly" recruited kids play? If so, did they contribute significantly?

Hartfield's rise is certainly impressive.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

Don't go away mad, just go away

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Hartfield is definitely going the “if ya ain’t cheatin ya ain’t tryin” route. Even down to the 6th and 7th grade level. They’ve got kids on the 6th grade teams that should be in the 8th. But they’re doing it out of love for Jesus so it’s all good

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Hartfield is definitely going the “if ya ain’t cheatin ya ain’t tryin” route. Even down to the 6th and 7th grade level. They’ve got kids on the 6th grade teams that should be in the 8th. But they’re doing it out of love for Jesus so it’s all good

I have no Hartfield affiliation, but some of the comments are here like this are just so out of touch with what’s been going on in private schools around Jackson for years. The funniest is when MRA or JA people talk. Just no self awareness.

Perhaps you could tell me who these kids are who play sixth grade sports who should be playing 8th grade. I might be in able to get to the bottom of that.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Jxn Prep and JA be

sweating key and peele GIF

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It so easy to recruit players at a metro area private school because there are NO rules about it as long as the kid comes from public to private. The only way you can get in trouble is to openly recruit a player at another private school.

So it's extremely dumb to take that risk and it appears Hartfield is that dumb.
They can go from one private school to another if they change address.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I used to really plugged into these matters 10-15 years ago, but unplugged now with a bad memory.

Didn't Prep have plenty of chances to more formalize a relationship with First Pres and/or Pinelake Christian School? Doing so back then would have stoped the Hartfield threat before it started. Now Prep is playing catch up with the lower grades.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
I have no Hartfield affiliation, but some of the comments are here like this are just so out of touch with what’s been going on in private schools around Jackson for years. The funniest is when MRA or JA people talk. Just no self awareness.

Perhaps you could tell me who these kids are who play sixth grade sports who should be playing 8th grade. I might be in able to get to the bottom of that.
Yeah, sure let me list the parents and minors names on a message board. That’d be a great idea***

Look I didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers. I don’t care one way or another cause the other schools do it too. But don’t get all defensive when everyone knows what’s going on and act self-righteous.

I do know for a fact that the school offers quite higher paying job opportunities for parents of talented athletes. Especially if one of the parents is a teacher

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Yeah, sure let me list the parents and minors names on a message board. That’d be a great idea***

Look I didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers. I don’t care one way or another cause the other schools do it too. But don’t get all defensive when everyone knows what’s going on and act self-righteous.

I do know for a fact that the school offers quite higher paying job opportunities for parents of talented athletes. Especially if one of the parents is a teacher

Look sport, I think you might want to take a step back and look at who’s mad here.

I have nothing to be upset or get defensive about. No dog in the hunt. I think your “self-righteous” comment is a little bit of projection.

The reason I asked about the sixth graders is that I have some involvement with kids playing against those teams. I’d like to know if they’ve got 8th graders out there.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I used to really plugged into these matters 10-15 years ago, but unplugged now with a bad memory.

Didn't Prep have plenty of chances to more formalize a relationship with First Pres and/or Pinelake Christian School? Doing so back then would have stoped the Hartfield threat before it started. Now Prep is playing catch up with the lower grades.
Yes, Prep and First Pres discussed some arrangement a couple of years ago, but it is my understanding the church put an end to that. Fact is that First Pres has been and will probably continue to be a feeder school to some degree for Prep although some of the kids end up at JA, St. Andrews or MRA.

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023

Feel better?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Where are the rules posted again? New site not as easy to find stuff
Basically Rule 14 says, if you make a post proclaiming you're leaving, GTHO and we'll help you pack.

Don't do like all the celebs who swear they are moving to Canada if ______ is elected, but much to everyone's chagrin, never really leave.

Reactions: Coast_Dawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login