Matt Rhule fired

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Perhaps the most unsurprising news of the week. Potentially expect his name to start surfacing for jobs at Oklahoma, Auburn, and A&M soon.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think Auburn and OU will have new coaches. Jimbo might make another season. OU will not take any chances of becoming a weak team joining the SEC really soon.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
And you see why the NFL continues to hire retread coaches that were average at best. You kind of know what you’re getting. It’s a gamble to hire something new.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I really like Rhule, but he missed on offensive coordinators in Carolina. His MaCado hire cost him his job. They can’t do anything through the air. Rhule wanted to run the ball more. So, maybe he was meddling, but there is talent on that offense.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I really like Rhule, but he missed on offensive coordinators in Carolina. His MaCado hire cost him his job. They can’t do anything through the air. Rhule wanted to run the ball more. So, maybe he was meddling, but there is talent on that offense.

They can’t do anything through the air largely because they have terrible QB’s. The organization really never gave him a chance to succeed there with Darnold / Mayfield.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
That's a home run hire for Auburn if they can get out of their own way and get him.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Man the fact that we considered judge and hire Moorhead makes me wonder even more what the hell were they thinking then.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
As long as there are stupid NFL owners, there will be NFL coaching opportunities for college coaches whether they have a clue about coaching grown *** men or not.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
They can’t do anything through the air largely because they have terrible QB’s. The organization really never gave him a chance to succeed there with Darnold / Mayfield.
I hear you - but, Mayfield is on pace to set career lows in basically everything. He looks worse than he did as rookie.

That offense has too many pieces for that level of production

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I hear you - but, Mayfield is on pace to set career lows in basically everything. He looks worse than he did as rookie.

That offense has too many pieces for that level of production

What pieces? Their OL is sub-par at best….ranked 24th in the NFL by PFF. They have the perpetually injured CMC, and DJ Moore who is a nice WR but not a guy that’s ever proven he can be a true #1 (perhaps due to the long history of ****** QB’s). They have no 2nd receiver worth a crap, no TE worth a crap. And of course no QB worth a crap. I’m not sure I can think of a single NFL offensive group that I wouldn’t trade the Panthers for.

Also look at what Cleveland is doing since Baker left. Friggin Jacoby Brissett is leading an offense that is 4th in the NFL in yards per game and 5th in scoring, after Baker had them bottom half of the league in both categories. Only other major difference is you swap OBJ (who they had most of the year) for Amari Cooper.

Mayfield had one flash in the pan year in 2020 where he was, barely, a Top 10 guy in QBR when they really weren’t asking him to do much. He’s been a bottom 5 or 10 QB every other year. Take a bad QB and put him in a bad offense with bad coaching and a bad supporting cast, and you have the 2022 Panthers offense.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
What pieces? Their OL is sub-par at best….ranked 24th in the NFL by PFF. They have the perpetually injured CMC, and DJ Moore who is a nice WR but not a guy that’s ever proven he can be a true #1 (perhaps due to the long history of ****** QB’s). They have no 2nd receiver worth a crap, no TE worth a crap. And of course no QB worth a crap. I’m not sure I can think of a single NFL offensive group that I wouldn’t trade the Panthers for.

Also look at what Cleveland is doing since Baker left. Friggin Jacoby Brissett is leading an offense that is 4th in the NFL in yards per game and 5th in scoring, after Baker had them bottom half of the league in both categories. Only other major difference is you swap OBJ (who they had most of the year) for Amari Cooper.

Mayfield had one flash in the pan year in 2020 where he was, barely, a Top 10 guy in QBR when they really weren’t asking him to do much. He’s been a bottom 5 or 10 QB every other year. Take a bad QB and put him in a bad offense with bad coaching and a bad supporting cast, and you have the 2022 Panthers offense.
McCaffrey is a superstar. He’s a potential Hall of Famer in the prime of his career. And, he appears to be healthy at least for now. The fact that they went the entire month of September without really throwing him the football was bad gameplanning.

DJ Moore is very good too. He’s been a 1,200 yard WR for 3 or 4 straight years. Now, he’s on pace for 500 yards in 2022. Robbie Anderson is a nice piece. Plus, they traded for Shenault before the season.

Thats way too much fire power for the team with the fewest yards in the league. That’s on the coaches. Hence the firing.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
McCaffrey is a superstar. He’s a potential Hall of Famer in the prime of his career. And, he appears to be healthy at least for now. The fact that they went the entire month of September without really throwing him the football was bad gameplanning.

DJ Moore is very good too. He’s been a 1,200 yard WR for 3 or 4 straight years. Now, he’s on pace for 500 yards in 2022. Robbie Anderson is a nice piece. Plus, they traded for Shenault before the season.

Thats way too much fire power for the team with the fewest yards in the league. That’s on the coaches. Hence the firing.

There’s no question that McCaffrey is great, but he’s an elite player at a disposable position. There are at least 30+ other NFL RB’s that could easily provide 85% of CMC’s production if given the same volume. And most of them could do it at 20% of the cost, and with less injury risk.

Moore is also a good player but again has yet to prove he can be a #1. 1100-1200 yards are not alpha #1 WR production numbers. He’s not a Tyreek, Davante Adams, Kupp, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Mike Evans, or even CeeDee Lamb level of talent. Again, a lot of that may not be his fault, but he hasn’t ever proven capable of being that kind of talent. Robby Anderson is horrible….so bad that he publicly considered retirement due to being unable to carve a role out in the past 2 years….even with nobody besides Moore to worry about getting targets. Shenault is also not a difference maker.

Above all, Mayfield is atrocious. And you are right, the coaches have some responsibility because he’s not just having a bad year for Baker Mayfield, he’s having a historically bad year for just about any starting QB in NFL history. Average NFL QBR is in the 50’s. Mariota who sucks *** is currently rocking a 47. Russell Wilson who has spent the first 5 weeks looking like he forgot how play football is at a QBR of 36. Mayfield? Sitting at 17ing 16.5…..just horrid.

All the pieces they have to work with are lacking. Its hard to know how much is on the coaches, but they have very little to work with. The Panthers as a whole are a crap organization that seems to have been in tank mode for at least 3 or 4 years and no plan for the offense other than trying to be bad enough to eventually get a high QB draft pick.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Yeah, I drafted effing DJ Moore, much to my aversion to drafting ANY panthers..eff Rhule

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login