Meridian cop killed yesterday was Sylvester Croom's nephew. Suspect caught:

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
RIP. If he was anything like his uncle, he was a good man and he'll be missed by many. Such a dangerous job and one that doesn't pay well and one that is now disrespected by large swaths of the population. No wonder there are high rates of attrition and recruiting problems in depts around the country. Not many people want to handle some domestic dispute or run toward the sounds of bullets.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Shooter was rumored to be ex-cop and prison guard. Probably not going to be well treated on either side of the bars now.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Shooter was rumored to be ex-cop and prison guard. Probably not going to be well treated on either side of the bars now.

Hope he gets to shower with someone hung like John Holmes twice a day that loves him some tossed salad.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If you look at this guy's facebook, he and his wife/fiance and mother of his kids (who he killed also) seem to be fairly normal. They aren't living in a drug house or anything like that. Seems like it was a family dispute and the guy lost it. I know facebook isn't always real but you'd think there would be level of weirdness.

I just don't understand why the good guys always seem to get wrapped up in folks' issues. And why is pulling a gun and shooting people (one you love and the other a cop who is there to help) your first course of action? Relationships in this day and age can be so 17ed up.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
The word here is that when Officer Croom arrived the mother was dead and he acted to save the children and was killed (head shot).

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
It's a shame he is going to be allowed to make it to trial. Should have been disposed of before ever seeing the back of a patrol car.

This opinion brought to you by the son a former city of Memphis police officer who was injured in the line of duty and fortunate to be alive.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I wonder if this was the first sign. Most men aren't violent but there is a subset who are incredibly violent and murderous. Women should avoid them. Sadly, this one is still alive.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
He killed the kids? Hadn’t seen that mentioned anywhere. If so, that’s awful (not that the existing circumstances weren’t already awful).

Hope he gets life without parole. Death is too easy of a way out for someone like him.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
He killed the kids? Hadn’t seen that mentioned anywhere. If so, that’s awful (not that the existing circumstances weren’t already awful).

Hope he gets life without parole. Death is too easy of a way out for someone like him.

Yes and No. The woman who was killed was pregnant. The other 4 kids survived thanks to Croom. If the story isn't sad enough, Croom was supposed to be off on Thursday but chose to come in and work.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
The officer’s father, Kelvin, is a preacher in the Alberta City/Holt area of Tuscaloosa. Super nice man, as is the entire family. Very community oriented. Tries to build up and give back constantly. I won’t add to any Instaface rumors, but a terrible thing happened to a very grounded, down to earth, and generous family.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I know Croom wasn’t a good head coach and was stubborn, but I’ve never heard anything but good things said about the entire Croom family. It’s heartbreaking that this tragedy would strike their family, but not surprising that tragedy struck because a member of that family was trying to help others.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's a shame he is going to be allowed to make it to trial. Should have been disposed of before ever seeing the back of a patrol car.

This opinion brought to you by the son a former city of Memphis police officer who was injured in the line of duty and fortunate to be alive.

There has been a lot of criticism here in Texas directed towards policeman after our shooting in Uvalde. I don't hear many of those who are criticizing them saying anything about volunteering to run out and stand in front potential victims to take a bullet if something like this were to happen again.

msu84grad

Aug 23, 2012
We may have had some problems with Sly as coach, but the Croom family is definitely service minded. Kennis' dad is a highly respected pastor, his mom is city clerk for Tuscaloosa, and his sister is head of the Emergency Management agency in T-town. Kennis started as a patrol cop in Brookhaven, then moved on to Jackson Police, then Hinds County Sheriff, and then to Meridian. Sounds like he was one of the good guys.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

No, I worded that wrong. I meant that he killed the mother. However, she was pregnant so technically he did kill one of his own kids.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
He killed a cop (not just a cop, a good /mancop). He also killed a pregnant woman, with three deaths, he will get a deatch sentence, spend many years in near solitary confignment and then be executed. How they do it seems unimportant. I was touched that to honor Officer Croom, they used Croom's handcuffs on him. Hopefully they will keep them around to put on him when they lead him away on that last day of his life. What a waste it is to kill someone. He should have used his gun on himself before shooting Croom and most likely, his lady.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login