More OT: "Do you remember where you were when..."

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I remember my parents always telling me "I remember exactly where I was when JFK got shot," or "when Armstrong walked on the moon."

What will you be telling your kids/grandkids?

The obvious ones are 9/11, or the OJ trial, or when Reagan got shot, or whatever.

I'll start: I remember exactly where I was the day the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up. We were watching it live on TV in my physics class in 10th grade.

I also remember the exact day and time when this happened:

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I'll start: I remember exactly where I was the day the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up. We were watching it live on TV in my physics class in 10th grade.

Watched it live in 7th Grade science class. Was eerie with a lot of extended silence in a group of 12–13-year-olds.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I hate to say it but the world shutting down in March 2020 was a big one. I’m a CPA and I got in at 8 or 9 that night (tax season) and remember listening to the baseball postgame show on the drive home after we beat Texas Tech in Biloxi. Walked in my house to my wife telling me that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson had COVID and then shortly after the NBA announced it was shutting down its season.

We had lunch with one of our pastors the next day and I remember him telling me the church would still have in-person services that Sunday… we ended up not having in-person services for three months. My wife was a teacher and her school year just abruptly ended at spring break. She didn’t work for almost 5 months and was going stir crazy. My job didn’t really change much thankfully. But what a bizarre time. Wild to think that it wasn’t that long ago where you weren’t allowed to go get a hair cut.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I hate to say it but the world shutting down in March 2020 was a big one. I’m a CPA and I got in at 8 or 9 that night (tax season) and remember listening to the baseball postgame show on the drive home after we beat Texas Tech in Biloxi. Walked in my house to my wife telling me that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson had COVID and then shortly after the NBA announced it was shutting down its season.

We had lunch with one of our pastors the next day and I remember him telling me the church would still have in-person services that Sunday… we ended up not having in-person services for three months. My wife was a teacher and her school year just abruptly ended at spring break. She didn’t work for almost 5 months and was going stir crazy. My job didn’t really change much thankfully. But what a bizarre time. Wild to think that it wasn’t that long ago where you weren’t allowed to go get a hair cut.
That's a good one. I was at Disney with my family. We were there literally the last day it was open. I can remember us sitting in our hotel room - and on TV they were talking about Rudy Gobert and then the Tom Hanks news broke. Surreal stuff.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

March 11, 2020

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
A couple I'd add in, although lesser magnitude than the ones mentioned:

- when the World Series got canceled in 1994
- Seinfeld last episode in (I think?) 1998
- Bear Stearns collapsing in 2008
- Jan 6 2021

Good OT topic. It's pretty wild just how good and uneventful the 1990s were for wide swaths of the American public.

Reactions: Drebin

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Watched it live in 7th Grade science class. Was eerie with a lot of extended silence in a group of 12–13-year-olds.
8th grade here and I watched it in my English class. I remember several of the teachers crying that day because of the buildup and pride for the first teacher in space.

Reactions: dawgman42

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

- Jan 6 2021

Good OT topic. It's pretty wild just how good and uneventful the 1990s were for wide swaths of the American public.
What about the World Series/San Francisco earthquake in 1989? Pretty wild that the two bay area teams were playing in the world series and a crazy strong earthquake hit during the pregame coverage of game three.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I don't know. Maybe. I'm about 100% sure that there will be an attempt. But too much was learned and too much is remembered from that for there to be a complete buy in over it again.

I hope you're right. I think there are probably enough people rightfully salty enough that any attempts to impose that kind of restrictions like that will be met violently. On the other hand, plenty of people are eager to simp for the government if their team is calling the shots.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
What about the World Series/San Francisco earthquake in 1989? Pretty wild that the two bay area teams were playing in the world series and a crazy strong earthquake hit during the pregame coverage of game three.

And of course Al Michaels has his own personal story book of memorable moments that he was a part of.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Tyson biting Holyfield’s ear. I was in my old roommates piece of **** red explorer. He is worse than anybody I’ve ever known about getting ready and being somewhere on time. We arrived at the party and had to watch the post fight highlights.

OJ fleeing in his white bronco. My girlfriend was a waitress. The bar section was closed because liquor sales on Sunday in MS. We were in the bar alone watching coverage while she was slipping me an endless supply of Jack and coke.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

- Jan 6 2021

I don't know. The 90s were pretty eventful to me.

Desert Storm and the birth of 24/7 live war coverage 1990

Oklahoma City Bombing 1995

Rodney King Riots 1992

Bill Clinton Scandal 1998

Princess Diana death 1995

JFK Jr plane crash 1999

World Trade Center Bombing 1993

Mississippi State Final Four Appearance 1996

Just to name a few.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Driving to Starkville to move a child out of a dorm on the weekend following spring break, all the while biitching that my asss would be hauling all that shiit right back up there in a week. Strange, strange.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I don't know. The 90s were pretty eventful to me.

Desert Storm and the birth of 24/7 live war coverage 1990

Oklahoma City Bombing 1995

Rodney King Riots 1992

Bill Clinton Scandal 1998

Princess Diana death 1995

JFK Jr plane crash 1999

World Trade Center Bombing 1993

Mississippi State Final Four Appearance 1996

Just to name

Ok fine.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Really don’t wanna go down the rabbit hole with this one but the night Trump won the election in 2016 was pretty wild too. It was a forgone conclusion to most that Hillary was winning and I remember thinking similarly. Went out to dinner with my then fiancée and didn’t even bother checking my phone until later in the evening. When I saw how it was playing out and how TV and social media were freaking out…. Holy crap.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Driving to Starkville to move a child out of a dorm on the weekend following spring break, all the while biitching that my asss would be hauling all that shiit right back up there in a week. Strange, strange.
Same thing here, except it was Jackson, and MC.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Really don’t wanna go down the rabbit hole with this one but the night Trump won the election in 2016 was pretty wild too. It was a forgone conclusion to most that Hillary was winning and I remember thinking similarly. Went out to dinner with my then fiancée and didn’t even bother checking my phone until later in the evening. When I saw how it was playing out and how TV and social media were freaking out…. Holy crap.
Regardless of whether you were ecstatic or distraught, that was a surprise for the ages that nobody saw coming.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I went to bed with the two essentially tied and woke up to "so it really happened." I later saw the reactions to some in the media and found it pretty hilarious. Of course, I'm aware of media bias and favoritism but they could have at least smiled and realized that Trump as pres was a gold mine for cable news on the right and left.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Won't be long until you can relive that lock down. It's coming
That ain't happening again in our lifetimes. 2 pieces of evidence:

1) It was seen as a failure by pretty much everyone;
2) Just judging by history, we won't see another pandemic of that level for a long time.

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
That ain't happening again in our lifetimes. 2 pieces of evidence:

1) It was seen as a failure by pretty much everyone;
2) Just judging by history, we won't see another pandemic of that level for a long time.
Counterpoint:
1) Authoritarians saw how easy it was to control the population
2) It gives license to undo norms and grease the skids for tomfoolery around elections and stuff like that
3) A large part of the public enjoyed the time off and free money

It will be attempted. You can book it. How successful it ends up being is another story.

Quietly, and with little fanfare, New Jersey is bringing back mask mandates right now.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
When MSU football became #1
When MSU won a team natty

Because ain't nern of em happening again
I remember that Saturday, we were beating the sh*t out of Auburn and and I was yelling at the top of my lungs in our ****** little apt in Flowood, “We’re gonna be number ooooonnneeee!!! YEEEAAAAHHHH!” 😂

I refused to let myself think we could win the natty in 21 until the end of the eighth. I cried.

Aug 23, 2012
Tyson biting Holyfield’s ear. I was in my old roommates piece of **** red explorer. He is worse than anybody I’ve ever known about getting ready and being somewhere on time. We arrived at the party and had to watch the post fight highlights.

OJ fleeing in his white bronco. My girlfriend was a waitress. The bar section was closed because liquor sales on Sunday in MS. We were in the bar alone watching coverage while she was slipping me an endless supply of Jack and coke.

your memory of the OJ chase could be flawed from the jack and Cokes because it was on a Friday. I bought a car that afternoon and went home and watched it on TV.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Hanging chads in 2000 and the debacle of an election in 2020
Wait until this year; it will be wild with the two idiots we have to choose from. Plus, they're trying to make Texas blue by letting in thousands of illegal aliens from all over the world, not just Central and South America, by handing them a phone and a voter card.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I don't know. Maybe. I'm about 100% sure that there will be an attempt. But too much was learned and too much is remembered from that for there to be a complete buy in over it again.
You know the Democrats are gonna push for it again. It was one of the big factors that helped them win. They know their base tends to vote more by mail compared to Republicans. In a race that is relatively close it can make all the difference.

They also know it's so much more difficult to catch voter fraud with mail-in ballots. There is also a reason...really the only logical reason Democrats are intent on eliminating ID requirements for voting. It makes it easier to commit voter-fraud...period.

So yes. I could easily see Democrats eager for any excuse to bring on shutdowns again. The closer we get to election day, the more I think you will see Dems telling us how critical it is that we shutdown again.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Challenger was on a snow day. Was at home watching.

When the branch davidians burned alive, was at the alumni house watching on the big screen with 30 people who were there for something, maybe a reunion.

When we went in to Iraq under Bush Sr, I was sitting at the mazzios end of the cafeteria watching it on tv.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Only because it's a fun way to find out....

Was helping a friend move in tulsa and his brother was helping. We were loading vehicles and driving separate back and forth (he was a huge cheap ***). The brother says "hey, princess di just got killed by Pavarotti on a moped in france!"

Yes, he thought the word was Pavarotti.

We laughed a bit too much at that.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
And of course Al Michaels has his own personal story book of memorable moments that he was a part of.

Okay, this one still pisses me off. I had been following the hockey team for some reason, and was really excited about their match with the Soviet Union. It was still early cable TV days, and the game was played in the afternoon but would not be televised until prime time.

I had a paper route that kept me busy for the afternoon. I avoided the radio, and knew nothing about the game when I turned on the Olympic coverage.

Then my mom comes in the door chanting, "USA! USA! USA!" She knew I was following the team and would be excited....but she ruined it for me.

Fun fact: The US won a total of 6 gold medals in the 1980 Winter Olympics. The Hockey team, and Eric Heiden's 5 individual skating medals.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Wait until this year; it will be wild with the two idiots we have to choose from. Plus, they're trying to make Texas blue by letting in thousands of illegal aliens from all over the world, not just Central and South America, by handing them a phone and a voter card.
To be fair, TX isn't giving illegals voter cards, but CA certainly is.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Most of mine have already been listed, but one that hasn't is Cal Ripken JR breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive games played streak in 1995. Was watching in my apartment at Campus Trails.

Reactions: kired
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login