More OT: "Do you remember where you were when..."

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I remember my parents always telling me "I remember exactly where I was when JFK got shot," or "when Armstrong walked on the moon."

What will you be telling your kids/grandkids?

The obvious ones are 9/11, or the OJ trial, or when Reagan got shot, or whatever.

I'll start: I remember exactly where I was the day the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up. We were watching it live on TV in my physics class in 10th grade.

I also remember the exact day and time when this happened:

Shuttle -- Watched it live in the Butler Hall lobby after morning classes. Couldn't believe it. Was hurt not because of just the human tragedy but also because I always loved our Space Program and knew this would have an impact.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Various:
1. Challenger explosion - watching in our school's PE facility (not really a gym) with several other grade school classes. Teachers turned it off and shooed us back to our classrooms.
2. O.J. Simpson trial - we were watching final day in our high school cafeteria, and the school district officials came running down the hill to make everyone turn off the TVs because they were afraid there would be a race riot. A few minutes later I was walking across the parking lot and suddenly all the doors on a parked van opened up and about 5 of my teachers piled out...they weren't about to miss the news.
2. 2000 election - was on our honeymoon at a B&B in Charlotte. Finally turned off the TV and went to bed thinking we'd know the result when we woke up. Whoops.
3. 9/11 - started listening to a radio broadcast at work as news filtered. I kept thinking this was our Pearl Harbor, and that a declaration of war would soon follow.
4. COVID - I was coaching a 9/10 year-old game, and the park president was an assistant on the other team. He told me we were the last game before they shut down the season. I asked him why, and he said that because all the other parks were doing it. I told him it was an airborne virus, the danger was in closed spaces, the young kids were at far less risk than we the coaches were, we should excuse any kids with health conditions or that lived with someone who had one or the elderly, and keep playing, even if we didn't use the dugouts. He repeated that all the other parks were doing it.
5. 2020 election - I was at home, and went to bed knowing it would take a statistical miracle for Joe Biden to win.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
One weird event I'll always remember was going to a New Orleans Saints game in the early 1990s and the field caught on fire in the third quarter. They did some pyrotechnics during the halftime show and there was some kind of burning ember up in the catwalk above the field. Many of us in the cheap seats saw it and watched as some worker went up there and instead of extinguishing it he knocked it down onto the field. The Gatorade jug was emptied onto it not long after it landed.
I was there for that one, too. That was 1991 versus the 49ers. That guy got a huge cheer as he used a burlap sack to beat the fire out, then the New Orleans FD used the Gatorade cooler to put out where the astroturf was burning.
You may also recall the game was really close, and neither team could move the ball. When the Saints offense had burning embers raining down on them in the 3rd quarter, they suddenly got things going and scored what would turn out to be the winning TD in a 10-3 victory. They went on to win the division by one game.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The very first word in the article you linked, "select," renders the entire thing invalid political theater. Anyone who thinks this is proof of anything has rightfully shamed themselves and destroyed any credibility on anything else they may have an opinion on for the rest of their life.

Nice work.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The very first word in the article you linked, "select," renders the entire thing invalid political theater. Anyone who thinks this is proof of anything has rightfully shamed themselves and destroyed any credibility on anything else they may have an opinion on for the rest of their life.

Nice work.
You know "select" just means it is a special committee formed to investigate a particular issue. Whether one trusts their findings or not, it's not really fair for the Republicans to refuse to participate and then complain about the committee's bias.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You know "select" just means it is a special committee formed to investigate a particular issue. Whether one trusts their findings or not, it's not really fair for the Republicans to refuse to participate and then complain about the committee's bias.
Yeah it was a select group of democrats and two anti trump republicans with agendas. You should educate yourself and learn why so many republicans and moderate dems wanted nothing to do with it. One side was presented. Evidence was misleading. Exculpatory evidence was suppressed. Witnesses weren't allowed cross examination. It will go down in history as one of the most embarrassing displays of political theater ever. The American public largely shlt on it because it was bullshlt. If you disagree with any word of this, I've got serious concerns about your mental health.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Yeah it was a select group of democrats and two anti trump republicans with agendas. You should educate yourself and learn why so many republicans and moderate dems wanted nothing to do with it. One side was presented. Evidence was misleading. Exculpatory evidence was suppressed. Witnesses weren't allowed cross examination. It will go down in history as one of the most embarrassing displays of political theater ever. The American public largely shlt on it because it was bullshlt. If you disagree with any word of this, I've got serious concerns about your mental health.
Spot on! Another thing that does not get talked about enough, certainly not by the MSM, the Democrats impeached a President of the US on charges they knew were not only false, but were in fact manufactured by their own damn party! They were literally guilty of the very thing they impeached him for, yet nothing comes of it thanks to a corrupt, biased, unprofessional media.

Now remember back about how they made such a disgusting, orchestrated parade of it...solemnly marching their articles of impeachment to the Senate. We can always count on the Democrat Party to be devious, dishonest, and lacking in ethics and morals in their pursuit of power. They want judges who will ignore the Constitution and separation-of-powers so they can get what they want when the voters won't give it to them.

And they have the nerve to constantly call Trump and conservatives an "existential threat to democracy"? What a joke!

Last edited:

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The word "select" in the title of the committee has nothing to do with anything you just wrote.

The Republicans chose not to participate in the committee, although plenty of them showed up to testify. If they wanted two sides represented they should have joined.

While I thought their made for TV presentations were absurd, you are definitely overstating its reception by the public and historical insignificance.

And my mental health is quite good. Thank you for asking, though. These days it's important to check in once in a while.

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
That was joking about Texas. I have no idea what California is willing to do.

Main thing is we have two 80-year-old candidates candidates. I love my mother who is 86, but I would not want her running the country either
A friend of mine's mother is 77 and openly says they are both "too old" to run the country and she "doesn't trust either of them"

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
A friend of mine's mother is 77 and openly says they are both "too old" to run the country and she "doesn't trust either of them"
Sometimes it scares me to know that the ages of the majority of those with the most power on both sides of the aisle... are running Washington.

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
When the federal building was blown up I was actually on the phone with a customer in Oklahoma City that was located 2 blocks away. I heard the explosion over the phone and the lady on the phone with me screamed. It blew out their windows and blew in their freight loading door. She had cuts from flying glass but was otherwise ok. Scared her pretty bad. Was watching tv as a kid and saw Harvey Oswalt shot live on tv as it happened a day or two after Kennedy was killed. I was in the 4th grade when that happened.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I have read this thread over a couple of days and don’t remember seeing Oklahoma City bombing mentioned. I was on 59 north of Birmingham.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
When the federal building was blown up I was actually on the phone with a customer in Oklahoma City that was located 2 blocks away. I heard the explosion over the phone and the lady on the phone with me screamed. It blew out their windows and blew in their freight loading door. She had cuts from flying glass but was otherwise ok. Scared her pretty bad. Was watching tv as a kid and saw Harvey Oswalt shot live on tv as it happened a day or two after Kennedy was killed. I was in the 4th grade when that happened.
Wow that is crazy.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The word "select" in the title of the committee has nothing to do with anything you just wrote.

The Republicans chose not to participate in the committee, although plenty of them showed up to testify. If they wanted two sides represented they should have joined.

While I thought their made for TV presentations were absurd, you are definitely overstating its reception by the public and historical insignificance.

And my mental health is quite good. Thank you for asking, though. These days it's important to check in once in a while.
Fail The Simpsons GIF

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
One that I haven't seen mentioned yet: the Tiananmen Square protests and massacre in 1989.

I remember seeing reports of the protest on TV in April/May 1989 when I was a student at Mississippi State. The Chinese students and protesters had some guts to stand up to the Chinese Communist government.

Remember this fella?

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I remember my parents always telling me "I remember exactly where I was when JFK got shot," or "when Armstrong walked on the moon."

What will you be telling your kids/grandkids?

The obvious ones are 9/11, or the OJ trial, or when Reagan got shot, or whatever.

I'll start: I remember exactly where I was the day the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up. We were watching it live on TV in my physics class in 10th grade.

I also remember the exact day and time when this happened:

I won a bunch of money because I bet on Michael waltrip to win.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The finale was sad, for sure, but to this day the biggest tearjerker for me in a TV show was when Henry Blake left. I was young when I saw it so maybe it's just sentimental because he was my favorite character, but I could still get choked up thinking about Radar coming in. I appreciate the cinematic element, too - early in the episode, Radar barges into the operating room tell Blake the great news that he's been discharged, then he comes in again at the end. I hate spoilers, so I won't do it, but if you saw it, you can't forget it.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Here's a State-related one that I will never forget. I was helping coach my son's baseball team, and he had a game one Saturday. We had been listening to State play baseball earlier in the day, but they were down late and the game was about over. For all practical purposes, it was over, because we were being shutout and had not done sh*t all day offensively as per usual. We finished the 8th inning weakly (again) so I knew we were done. I had seen this offensive disappearing act before and was getting pissed, so I turned if off. I usually have a much better rest of my day emotionally if I don't watch us lose. Oh well.

A little while later my son and I got in the car, drove to his game early so he could warm up. We took our time, I pitched to him in the cage for a bit, we walked to the field, he took some grounders. We had been messing around for what felt like an hour at the fields. We were in the dugout waiting on the rest of the team to filter in when I heard this weird mini-roar from all around us. Like a few guys over at the cages yelled, a couple people in the parking lot screamed. That was weird. It had been over 2 hours since I flipped the game off, so it never entered my mind it had anything to do with us...

And that's the story of where I was when Elijah MacNamee hit the homer against FSU. Had no idea about the rain delay. No idea how we could have still been playing 2 1/2 hours later. I'm glad I turned it off when I did - you're all welcome.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned Luke Woodam and the school shooting in Pearl. I was at Brandon HS when it happened and it was extremely surreal, esp considering how "common" it is in today's world.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Nice work.
invisible face GIF by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
The finale was sad, for sure, but to this day the biggest tearjerker for me in a TV show was when Henry Blake left. I was young when I saw it so maybe it's just sentimental because he was my favorite character, but I could still get choked up thinking about Radar coming in. I appreciate the cinematic element, too - early in the episode, Radar barges into the operating room tell Blake the great news that he's been discharged, then he comes in again at the end. I hate spoilers, so I won't do it, but if you saw it, you can't forget it.
I remember what happened but you sent me on a Goggle search for who played Blake thinking it was Mr Dragnet Harry Morgan. Nope, Stevenson. Then would have sworn Potter/Morgan came first. Wrong again and why I answer nearly everything with I think and I could be wrong these days. Man the details of my life are getting fuzzier by the day.

Speaking of endings, how about The Fugitive? Another detail but "I think" the final was the highest rated TV show to that point and I remember where I was.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Counterpoint:
1) Authoritarians saw how easy it was to control the population
2) It gives license to undo norms and grease the skids for tomfoolery around elections and stuff like that
3) A large part of the public enjoyed the time off and free money

It will be attempted. You can book it. How successful it ends up being is another story.

Quietly, and with little fanfare, New Jersey is bringing back mask mandates right now.
I agree with this. Another shutdown won't be anywhere near what it was in 2020 because most of the country won't stand for it but a state of emergency only has to take place in a few key states to bring back the drop boxes and ballot harvesting to turn the election. I can see it happening this fall.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I was in grad school at State when I heard about the Challenger accident. I was a TA preparing to teach a lab class when some came up and told me. I still vividly remember exactly where I was and exactly what I was doing a that moment. I went upstairs and told my class. We finished the class and then spent the rest of the day glued to the TV like everyone else.

Same thing on 9/11. I was at work when one of my colleagues came by my office and said a plane had hit the WTC. I was thinking a small private plane not that big of a deal then a few minutes later he came back and said another had hit. I knew then we were under attack and again remember every detail about that moment but at that time had no idea how different life would be from that day forward.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Nice work.
Yeah, I mean it's just testimony from all the Republicans involved, cell phone records (very easy for you to see what was said if you weren't head in the ground and beholding to a narcissist's whims). This is my point exactly. The evidence is the evidence. MAGAs won't even VIEW the evidence to make an informed opinion about what it means. Literal finger in ears, eyes closed listening to a guy who lies every breath. It just makes no sense at all. Cheney and Kinzinger(sp?) gave up their politically livelihood to stand up for what is right. Nobody does that on a whim. Below is a small list of high-level, Repulican's who worked directly for Trump and what they had to say. You have to absolutely just WANT to believe MAGA ******** to not pay attention and understand the reality of who this guy is.

1. His vice president, Mike Pence: “The American people deserve to know that President Trump asked me to put him over my oath to the Constitution. … Anyone who puts himself over the Constitution should never be president of the United States.”

2. His second attorney general, Bill Barr: “Someone who engaged in that kind of bullying about a process that is fundamental to our system and to our self-government shouldn’t be anywhere near the Oval Office.”

3. His first secretary of defense, James Mattis: “Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people – does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us.”

4. His second secretary of defense, Mark Esper: “I think he’s unfit for office. … He puts himself before country. His actions are all about him and not about the country. And then, of course, I believe he has integrity and character issues as well.”

5. His chairman of the joint chiefs, retired Gen. Mark Milley, seemed to invoke Trump: “We don’t take an oath to a wannabe dictator. We take an oath to the Constitution and we take an oath to the idea that is America – and we’re willing to die to protect it.”

6. His first secretary of state, Rex Tillerson: “(Trump’s) understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of US history was really limited. It’s really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn’t even understand the concept for why we’re talking about this.”

7. His first ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley: “He used to be good on foreign policy and now he has started to walk it back and get weak in the knees when it comes to Ukraine. A terrible thing happened on January 6 and he called it a beautiful day.”

8. His presidential transition vice-chairman, Chris Christie: “Someone who I would argue now is just out for himself.”

9. His second national security adviser, HR McMaster: “We saw the absence of leadership, really anti-leadership, and what that can do to our country.”

10. His third national security adviser, John Bolton: “I believe (foreign leaders) think he is a laughing fool.”

11. His second chief of staff, John Kelly: “A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law. There is nothing more that can be said. God help us.”

12. His former acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, who resigned as US special envoy to Ireland after January 6, 2021: “I quit because I think he failed at being the president when we needed him to be that.”

13. One of his many former communications directors, Anthony Scaramucci: “He is the domestic terrorist of the 21st century.”

14. Another former communications director, Stephanie Grisham: “I am terrified of him running in 2024.”

15. His secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, who resigned after January 6: “When I saw what was happening on January 6 and didn’t see the president step in and do what he could have done to turn it back or slow it down or really address the situation, it was just obvious to me that I couldn’t continue.”

16. His secretary of transportation, Elaine Chao, who resigned after January 6: “At a particular point the events were such that it was impossible for me to continue, given my personal values and my philosophy.

17. His first secretary of the Navy, Richard Spencer: “…the president has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.”

18. His first homeland security adviser, Tom Bossert: “The President undermined American democracy baselessly for months. As a result, he’s culpable for this siege, and an utter disgrace.”

19. His former personal lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen: “Donald’s an idiot.”

20. His White House lawyer, Ty Cobb: “Trump relentlessly puts forth claims that are not true.”

21. A former director of strategic communications, Alyssa Farah Griffin, who is now a CNN political commentator: “We can stand by the policies, but at this point we cannot stand by the man.”

22. A top aide in charge of his outreach to African Americans, Omarosa Manigault Newman: “Donald Trump, who would attack civil rights icons and professional athletes, who would go after grieving black widows, who would say there were good people on both sides, who endorsed an accused child molester; Donald Trump, and his decisions and his behavior, was harming the country. I could no longer be a part of this madness.”

23. A former deputy press secretary, Sarah Matthews, who resigned after January 6: “I thought that he did do a lot of good during his four years. I think that his actions on January 6 and the lead-up to it, the way that he’s acted in the aftermath, and his continuation of pushing this lie that the election is stolen has made him wholly unfit to hold office every again.”

24. His final chief of staff’s aide, Cassidy Hutchinson: “I think that Donald Trump is the most grave threat we will face to our democracy in our lifetime, and potentially in American history.”

Boosh

Sep 14, 2017
That's a good one. I was at Disney with my family. We were there literally the last day it was open. I can remember us sitting in our hotel room - and on TV they were talking about Rudy Gobert and then the Tom Hanks news broke. Surreal stuff.
I was at Disney also. It was the best time as crowds were already thin. We were able to ride the Star Wars ride as it was brand new and it was awesome. Disney closed the next day. I haven't been back since.

Reactions: Drebin

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, I mean it's just testimony from all the Republicans involved, cell phone records (very easy for you to see what was said if you weren't head in the ground and beholding to a narcissist's whims). This is my point exactly. The evidence is the evidence. MAGAs won't even VIEW the evidence to make an informed opinion about what it means. Literal finger in ears, eyes closed listening to a guy who lies every breath. It just makes no sense at all. Cheney and Kinzinger(sp?) gave up their politically livelihood to stand up for what is right. Nobody does that on a whim. Below is a small list of high-level, Repulican's who worked directly for Trump and what they had to say. You have to absolutely just WANT to believe MAGA ******** to not pay attention and understand the reality of who this guy is.

1. His vice president, Mike Pence: “The American people deserve to know that President Trump asked me to put him over my oath to the Constitution. … Anyone who puts himself over the Constitution should never be president of the United States.”

2. His second attorney general, Bill Barr: “Someone who engaged in that kind of bullying about a process that is fundamental to our system and to our self-government shouldn’t be anywhere near the Oval Office.”

3. His first secretary of defense, James Mattis: “Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people – does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us.”

4. His second secretary of defense, Mark Esper: “I think he’s unfit for office. … He puts himself before country. His actions are all about him and not about the country. And then, of course, I believe he has integrity and character issues as well.”

5. His chairman of the joint chiefs, retired Gen. Mark Milley, seemed to invoke Trump: “We don’t take an oath to a wannabe dictator. We take an oath to the Constitution and we take an oath to the idea that is America – and we’re willing to die to protect it.”

6. His first secretary of state, Rex Tillerson: “(Trump’s) understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of US history was really limited. It’s really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn’t even understand the concept for why we’re talking about this.”

7. His first ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley: “He used to be good on foreign policy and now he has started to walk it back and get weak in the knees when it comes to Ukraine. A terrible thing happened on January 6 and he called it a beautiful day.”

8. His presidential transition vice-chairman, Chris Christie: “Someone who I would argue now is just out for himself.”

9. His second national security adviser, HR McMaster: “We saw the absence of leadership, really anti-leadership, and what that can do to our country.”

10. His third national security adviser, John Bolton: “I believe (foreign leaders) think he is a laughing fool.”

11. His second chief of staff, John Kelly: “A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law. There is nothing more that can be said. God help us.”

12. His former acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, who resigned as US special envoy to Ireland after January 6, 2021: “I quit because I think he failed at being the president when we needed him to be that.”

13. One of his many former communications directors, Anthony Scaramucci: “He is the domestic terrorist of the 21st century.”

14. Another former communications director, Stephanie Grisham: “I am terrified of him running in 2024.”

15. His secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, who resigned after January 6: “When I saw what was happening on January 6 and didn’t see the president step in and do what he could have done to turn it back or slow it down or really address the situation, it was just obvious to me that I couldn’t continue.”

16. His secretary of transportation, Elaine Chao, who resigned after January 6: “At a particular point the events were such that it was impossible for me to continue, given my personal values and my philosophy.

17. His first secretary of the Navy, Richard Spencer: “…the president has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.”

18. His first homeland security adviser, Tom Bossert: “The President undermined American democracy baselessly for months. As a result, he’s culpable for this siege, and an utter disgrace.”

20. His White House lawyer, Ty Cobb: “Trump relentlessly puts forth claims that are not true.”

21. A former director of strategic communications, Alyssa Farah Griffin, who is now a CNN political commentator: “We can stand by the policies, but at this point we cannot stand by the man.”

22. A top aide in charge of his outreach to African Americans, Omarosa Manigault Newman: “Donald Trump, who would attack civil rights icons and professional athletes, who would go after grieving black widows, who would say there were good people on both sides, who endorsed an accused child molester; Donald Trump, and his decisions and his behavior, was harming the country. I could no longer be a part of this madness.”

23. A former deputy press secretary, Sarah Matthews, who resigned after January 6: “I thought that he did do a lot of good during his four years. I think that his actions on January 6 and the lead-up to it, the way that he’s acted in the aftermath, and his continuation of pushing this lie that the election is stolen has made him wholly unfit to hold office every again.”

24. His final chief of staff’s aide, Cassidy Hutchinson: “I think that Donald Trump is the most grave threat we will face to our democracy in our lifetime, and potentially in American history.”
You could have just said "I'm a 17n moron" and saved a whole bunch of time for everyone.

Reactions: thekimmer

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

Drebin:

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login