Most hated modern day small talk phrases….

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Yada yada (Apologies to Seinfeld fans.)
Anywho
If you're here today... (How much time in my life has been wasted by preachers, speakers, etc. saying that because if I'm not "here today", guess what?)

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
This crept into my vocab sometime in the last year and I have struggled to ditch it.

...I guess I just don't have the bandwidth right now to focus on removing it from my speech.
It's a pretty good one to use to get out of doing/going to stuff, with the right crowd.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Making fun of people for who they are is cruel, fellas. All of yall cut that out around DSD. ******************
Cedric The Entertainer Reaction GIF by CBS

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Borrowing this from Seinfeld
"It is what it is" : you have added nothing to the conversation by saying this. You have just wasted our time. This has no meaning.

I've posted this before but I will cut anyone who says "chillax"

And borrowing from Adam Corolla :
If I ever say thay I did the best I could with what I had, it means that I have completely failed.
(This was in his parenting book, so applies to being a parent but true in general... yes I read a parenting book by adam corolla!)
Agree with the, “well they did the best they could, or he always made do the best he knew how”

loser mentality

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Anyone who tries to sound like they're SOOOooo much smarter than the person they're arguing with. If it's so obvious, why do you have to point it out for the rest of us?

I'm tired of hearing the whole I'm smarter than everybody else yes argument. I really don't care if you're smarter than me or everybody else. Have a cookie.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I’ve stopped using the word ‘just’ and it’s going pretty well. Instead of typing an email saying that you’re just checking on something, say that you’re checking on something.

Reactions: dorndawg

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I keep a list of idiotic language. It includes the following:
I can’t with
Living your best life
Hits different
Referring to something as extra
Referring to good as life changing
Something is “on point”
Big facts
The fleek in general
AF
Yeet
Sus
I can’t even right now
I dunno
On the daily
I was today years old
I want
Oof
Something “Be like”
Anything “Next Level”
Low key anything
If you know, you know
Amirite
Tell me something without telling me something
Peeping something
Prolly
No cap
Sheesh
I did a thing
The feels
Me:
Also Me:
idk
Bussin
Drippin
Period
Gonna
if you know you know
I’m here for it
What had happened was
The whqtthe peeping croom?

I keep a list of idiotic language. It includes the following:
I can’t with
Living your best life
Hits different
Referring to something as extra
Referring to good as life changing
Something is “on point”
Big facts
The fleek in general
AF
Yeet
Sus
I can’t even right now
I dunno
On the daily
I was today years old
I want
Oof
Something “Be like”
Anything “Next Level”
Low key anything
If you know, you know
Amirite
Tell me something without telling me something
Peeping something
Prolly
No cap
Sheesh
I did a thing
The feels
Me:
Also Me:
idk
Bussin
Drippin
Period
Gonna
if you know you know
I’m here for it
What had happened was
The feels
What do you have against the peeping Croom?***

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
1) “I know right”

2) “So what does that look like”, followed by 17ed up description, when describing an idea;

3) “we did such and such in the such and such space”;

Carlin used to call it soft language. Much of modern day pussiness. Why use these extra words?
Any use of the word “leverage” in place of the far more simple word USE in corporate jargon. “Leveraging my skills in coding in this new position”, “Leveraging the various strengths of the crossfunctional team to meet our deadline”. Holy 17….makes me want to punch somebody.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
May be golden day instead of modern day small talk phase now, but Joey on “Friends” w/the head nod & the look, “How U Doin’?!.” LOL

Aug 22, 2012
Price point
City center

Asking any question and the follow up “yeah?”

Intuitive

but the thing that gets me worst, and the only way I know how to describe it is the “silent t pause”. For instance if one of the millennials says the word mountain it comes out “moun in”. Or important being pronounced like “imporen”

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
1) “I know right”

2) “So what does that look like”, followed by 17ed up description, when describing an idea;

Carlin used to call it soft language. Much of modern day pussiness. Why use these extra words?
“Ya know what I’m sayin”? Yeah, I can hear, so I know what you’re saying.

“I know, right”? Another dubmass-sounding, heavily overused one for sure.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
“At any rate” following a long winded opinion and just before a reiteration of said long winded opinion.

Reactions: 85Bears

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
“You do you.” It’s a very condescending thing to say to somebody. “I have these enlightened ideas and am doing this super cool thing, but you do you.”

Reactions: 85Bears

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
“You do you.” It’s a very condescending thing to say to somebody. “I have these enlightened ideas and am doing this super cool thing, but you do you.”

I told my wife this exact same thing! She says this crap sometimes and it drives me nuts.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
If you use the phrase “it is what it is” I assume that you are a stupid person with no ability to influence the world around you and you just accept whatever hand you are dealt.
I get what y’all are saying, but there really isn’t a more powerful way to shut down a conversation that you don’t want to be having with a mother-in-law, so this phrase definitely has its place

Reactions: HRMSU and dorndawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
1) “I know right”

Yada yada yada

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
After decades of hearing it used on nearly a daily basis, I still haven't figured out why "touch base" makes any sense in the context it's used.

There's a bunch of other things that irritate me...mostly things that executives say that make them think they sound effective. Laser focused seem to be popular as of late.

Also..."let's goooooooooooo!!!!!!!!". Kill it with fire.

Edit: Another thing I just remembered. Do people (sorority girls, namely) still greet others with "heyyyyy! What are you dooooinnnnng?" Well...I'm here talking to you now, wtf do you think I'm doing?

I don't know if that was a MS thing...an MSU thing at a point in time or what. But I stopped hearing it once I graduated and left Starkville. Don't miss it.
They still use some version of overly exaggerated words to greet people that they are paying to pretend to like so it may not be the same words but basically sounds the same

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login