Most hated modern day small talk phrases….

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
“To be honest with you…”

When I hear this phrase I immediately think “were you not honest in your other statements? What if you don’t start with ‘to be honest with you’ when you tell me something? Are you lying then?”

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I kinda hate it when people call me buddy. Dude or man is fine but buddy or bud bothers me.
No doubt it's a subtle dig. Women have all sorts of these type phrases - sweetie, honey, etc. that they call each other. It's easy to identify overly arrogant dlckheads/bltches by use of these words.

Last edited:

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
Bruh, if this thread continues, we gonna have to learn Spanish. Its all good though, it is what it is. I mean the posters on this board - if you know, you know, amirite? For all intents and purposes a lot of these phrases have their place. To be honest with you, some are prolly gonna get triggered no matter what you say. OK so here's the thing, at the end of the day, put some respect on my name, ya heard me? Anywho, circling back to the point, y'all are my fam, but I don't have the bandwidth to continue trying to explain. Have an amazing day, we are MState, literally!

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Some individuals have taken to adding the word "right" to the end of their sentences. It's typically inserted when stating a fact or opinion that provides context to a question or another statement they are going to make. I guess in some ways it replaced "you know" as the wholly unnecessary and annoying filler word people use in conversation.

When I say people with a platform, it's not just notable people who do this. It's also everyday Joes who do it. There's a guy I am in frequent meetings with. I kid you not every third sentence is him saying something to set up the point he's going to make, and he ends the sentence with "right" when he could just leave it off.
"Well we know that this person does this, right? So we should be prepared to do this for them."

There's a Cubs podcast I used to listen to on The Athletic. It's three guys talking about the Cubs. The subject matter in itself is typically frustrating and infuriating because that's what the Cubs do to people, but I had to give it up because one of the three guys would end sentences with "right" 25 times in every podcast.
"Jed wants to resign Cody Bellinger, right. He just wants to do it at a reasonable price."
"We know a few arms in the Cubs bullpen were overused, right. So hopefully Counsell will manage the pen better."

Jordan Rogers is one of the worst at this. He can barely tell a story or explain a play without starting his comments with a sentence that ends in "right." Jordan, you're a good broadcaster. Work on your craft. You can be better.

I've even heard it recently starting to leak in to the delivery of one of my favorite State podcasts. It's effected my listenership for sure.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
“Triggered”

“Some type of way”

“Bruh”

“I’m runnin’ ________” or “What are you runnin’?”
"I'm runnin' a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3"

Visit any Facebook page dedicated to local hunting and fishing and you'll see it. Major cringe every time.

"Aw man this year we're runnin' the Sitka waders and RNT calls". Dumb.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I keep a list of idiotic language. It includes the following:
I can’t with
Living your best life
Hits different
Referring to something as extra
Referring to good as life changing
Something is “on point”
Big facts
The fleek in general
AF
Yeet
Sus
I can’t even right now
I dunno
On the daily
I was today years old
I want
Oof
Something “Be like”
Anything “Next Level”
Low key anything
If you know, you know
Amirite
Tell me something without telling me something
Peeping something
Prolly
No cap
Sheesh
I did a thing
The feels
Me:
Also Me:
idk
Bussin
Drippin
Period
Gonna
if you know you know
I’m here for it
What had happened was
The feels
May I add:

"I'm in my _____ era"

"..... in this season"

Badon

Jun 12, 2006
I agree with pretty much all these posts and lists. But at the same time, are we supposed to talk like boring robots or arrogant intellectuals? That’s no fun for either listening or speaking.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agree with pretty much all these posts and lists. But at the same time, are we supposed to talk like boring robots or arrogant intellectuals? That’s no fun for either listening or speaking.
Personally I'd rather just play golf and talk about the weather. It's the fake social and professional talk that can get to you, and it sounds like we all agree, but I bet 80% of the people in this thread still use it from time to time (not me, but all of you***).

Reactions: Badon and 85Bears

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Some individuals have taken to adding the word "right" to the end of their sentences. It's typically inserted when stating a fact or opinion that provides context to a question or another statement they are going to make. I guess in some ways it replaced "you know" as the wholly unnecessary and annoying filler word people use in conversation.

When I say people with a platform, it's not just notable people who do this. It's also everyday Joes who do it. There's a guy I am in frequent meetings with. I kid you not every third sentence is him saying something to set up the point he's going to make, and he ends the sentence with "right" when he could just leave it off.
"Well we know that this person does this, right? So we should be prepared to do this for them."

There's a Cubs podcast I used to listen to on The Athletic. It's three guys talking about the Cubs. The subject matter in itself is typically frustrating and infuriating because that's what the Cubs do to people, but I had to give it up because one of the three guys would end sentences with "right" 25 times in every podcast.
"Jed wants to resign Cody Bellinger, right. He just wants to do it at a reasonable price."
"We know a few arms in the Cubs bullpen were overused, right. So hopefully Counsell will manage the pen better."

Jordan Rogers is one of the worst at this. He can barely tell a story or explain a play without starting his comments with a sentence that ends in "right." Jordan, you're a good broadcaster. Work on your craft. You can be better.

I've even heard it recently starting to leak in to the delivery of one of my favorite State podcasts. It's effected my listenership for sure.
Started working with someone around 2012/13 and it was the first time I recall hearing it. She would even extend it with a long riiiight? Drove me crazy but wrote it off as her "crutch" that frankly a lot of us have in some form. Now it's every where as you point out. Arnett was a big user and seems to be creeping into Lebbys speeches as well.

Fun thread. Been retired for almost 10 years so I don't have to deal with it much anymore but after nearly 40 years in corporate America, I certainly swam in the pool of constant eyerolling corporate speak. For large meetings with management/guest speakers we actually made BS Bingo cards with all the biggies of the time.

I haven't seen "out of the box" mentioned. Invented I believe during my working years and God knows run in the ground.

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012
Bruh, if this thread continues, we gonna have to learn Spanish. Its all good though, it is what it is. I mean the posters on this board - if you know, you know, amirite? For all intents and purposes a lot of these phrases have their place. To be honest with you, some are prolly gonna get triggered no matter what you say. OK so here's the thing, at the end of the day, put some respect on my name, ya heard me? Anywho, circling back to the point, y'all are my fam, but I don't have the bandwidth to continue trying to explain. Have an amazing day, we are MState, literally!
With all that said...

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"Super" anything i.e. Super Excited, Super Stoked.

"Cuz", i.e. your cousin/friend or because.

Dropping letters in the middle of a word and saying "li-ul" instead of little, or "mi-ul" instead of middle.

"Kno wha I sayin?"

I could go on all day but I already feel 'stupider' for having participated in this thread and reading the other comments

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Started working with someone around 2012/13 and it was the first time I recall hearing it. She would even extend it with a long riiiight? Drove me crazy but wrote it off as her "crutch" that frankly a lot of us have in some form. Now it's every where as you point out. Arnett was a big user and seems to be creeping into Lebbys speeches as well.

Fun thread. Been retired for almost 10 years so I don't have to deal with it much anymore but after nearly 40 years in corporate America, I certainly swam in the pool of constant eyerolling corporate speak. For large meetings with management/guest speakers we actually made BS Bingo cards with all the biggies of the time.

I haven't seen "out of the box" mentioned. Invented I believe during my working years and God knows run in the ground.
Love me some BS corporate Bingo! Better be on mute if you bingo on a zoom call****

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
When it's time for one of your family pets to be lout to use the bathroom, does anyone else have a family member that likes to say in a high pitched baby voice... "is it time to go teetee poopoo? do you need to go teetee poopoo?"

No? Just checking because it sends my blood pressure through the roof

Reactions: 85Bears

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
"It is my hope..."
"He's got... (something).". No he HAS something.
Using "There is" or "There are" to start sentences, especially by journalists and TV news people. That's so lazy. Using action words!!!!

Reactions: 85Bears

the_marshall

Jan 31, 2019
In the corporate world:
synergy
agile

Day to day:
Gaslighting

I hate those words and the phrases containing them.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Using a self-affirming 'right?' after every statement.
Example: "We're going to have to blah, blah, blah , right? Here is a good guideline. If you would not write it that way, don't say it that way.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Oh that is the telltale sign of a coach who will fail. Lot of that talk after Mullen left and hiring of Sloppy Joe
The full quote was “he just gets it, he’s one of us”

Mouth breather hive mind full on chant as witnessed on jeanspage

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login