Mullen on Out of Bounds…

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That was a good interview. I don’t see Dan coaching again in college. Dan’s best attribute was talent identification and development. Not sure you get the opportunity to develop guys now. I would like to see Dan get an opportunity at an OC job in the NFL.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
That was a good interview. I don’t see Dan coaching again in college. Dan’s best attribute was talent identification and development. Not sure you get the opportunity to develop guys now. I would like to see Dan get an opportunity at an OC job in the NFL.
He could do well at a school that has above average NIL money. I don’t think he would fare well at a low budget school with today’s rules. He’s good as an analyst as part of the media, I like listening to him.

Reactions: ronpolk

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And organization/structure. He was a good QB coach too, but offensively he was pretty much a generalist and relied on fundamentals, though he did like that power spread for sure. But he was no master of it, he was just solid and used the QB well. For these reasons, I don't think he would be great in the NFL.

I absolutely think he could succeed again in college. Probably even at MSU. Everybody is going to have to deal with NIL at some level for the good players, but not as much starting in FY25. You can still develop, but you have to work harder at it.

Reactions: patdog

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I knew Cannon was a good basketball player but it sounds like he may be an elite basketball player. I played some AAU in metro Atlanta growing up and the Atlanta Celtics are the elite of the elite. That’s impressive that he plays for them.

GoDawgz52

Aug 21, 2023
I do not believe he will coach again based, he has it made right now and the whole NIL thing is just too much to come back to.

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mullen would be good in the NIL era because he could use his evaluation abilities to get the payments right on players.

He’d know who to pay and how much to pay better than most

He’d be able to stretch the budget better than most and thus save enough to go get some elite guys
That would benefit. But the players being able to transfer the first time he was a yankee *** hole to them would hammer him.

Also, while he was good at identifying talent, I think it's that he was better at developing talent? I remember Elton Jenkins and Deion Calhoun being nobody recruits and basically contributing immediately. I remember Jonathan Banks being good as a freshman. I think McKinney was good very quickly. But mostly didn't he have a bunch of players turn into something after being on campus a year or two? Not sure how many would take being coached and pushed that hard now.

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
That would benefit. But the players being able to transfer the first time he was a yankee *** hole to them would hammer him.

Also, while he was good at identifying talent, I think it's that he was better at developing talent? I remember Elton Jenkins and Deion Calhoun being nobody recruits and basically contributing immediately. I remember Jonathan Banks being good as a freshman. I think McKinney was good very quickly. But mostly didn't he have a bunch of players turn into something after being on campus a year or two? Not sure how many would take being coached and pushed that hard now.

The best players like hard coaches that make them better.

My guess is that Dan would lose a number of players like RaRa that went somewhere else and were busts.

I listened and bet he coaches again, not sure he’ll wait long enough to take our job again because I see Lebby being here for a while

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
The best players like hard coaches that make them better.

My guess is that Dan would lose a number of players like RaRa that went somewhere else and were busts.

I listened and bet he coaches again, not sure he’ll wait long enough to take our job again because I see Lebby being here for a while
The best players like programs that pay the
Most money and can get them to the league.

Reactions: MoronDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

I think the development piece is even more important when you don't have that nil budget. Turn 2 stars into 4 star or better talent. Evaluate guys that others missed and you get them in the boat if they leave you better be able to develop the next man. Truth is we will never put money a lot of schools that guys will transfer too. You got to just have good coaching and development

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Back then yea, harder now and once you develop them you need the money to keep them. A lot of those guys he had on defense would be playing elsewhere.
We can't stop players from leaving anyway so better be able evaluate and develop.

I believe ole miss was offering players fat stacks under table to transfer before all of this

Reactions: 85Bears

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yea I agree, that’s the only way to survive. money is such a factor now it lowers the ceiling on what smaller budget programs can achieve now imo. You need a coach like Leach or Merlinz to even stay competitive now.
Yep. I'm really hating we didn't get cignetti. But Lebby has shown some good signs he just made dumb first year coach moves with defense that are killing us right now.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Yep. I'm really hating we didn't get cignetti. But Lebby has shown some good signs he just made dumb first year coach moves with defense that are killing us right now.
The cignetti/Jerry kill models are a good move for lower tier programs looking to make a quick turnaround. I’m undecided on Lebby. It would be nice to rebuild with a guy who has done it before unless you have the Patience to let the guy learn on the job.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What good signs has he shown? Last in offense. Last in defense. Terrible coaching hires. Poor recruiting. He looks completely lost.

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I think the development piece is even more important when you don't have that nil budget. Turn 2 stars into 4 star or better talent. Evaluate guys that others missed and you get them in the boat if they leave you better be able to develop the next man. Truth is we will never put money a lot of schools that guys will transfer too. You got to just have good coaching and development
This is just my armchair opinion, but I think that needs to be a major component of our NIL strategy. Evaluate well, recruit well, develop well, and use NIL to keep those players content and on your roster the best you can. I am sure it is much harder than it sounds, though.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I’m seeing people floating Cignetti as the next Florida coach. Lol, that would be really leveraging yourself going from JMU , one year at Indiana and then the florida job.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
What good signs has he shown? Last in offense. Last in defense. Terrible coaching hires. Poor recruiting. He looks completely lost.
Worst case scenario, he’s more of an OC than a HC and needs a lot of talent(OU talent/NIL) for his system to succeed.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Definitely possible, i think midway next season you’ll have a pretty good idea.
Yeah. I think we'll learn a lot this offseason. But by middle of next season, it should be pretty clear one way or the other. And it could go either way.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I’m seeing people floating Cignetti as the next Florida coach. Lol, that would be really leveraging yourself going from JMU , one year at Indiana and then the florida job.
Perhaps. He may be bamas coach in a couple years if he slays the giants in big 10 with Indiana. But I think he might pick up a job in southeast for sure. He has ties to Pennsylvania so he may end at a bigger gig there if he can springboard. But he may just tell Florida no thanks since they haven't wanted him before.
Just depends on how big that number is. He has Indiana rolling in year one though

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Perhaps. He may be bamas coach in a couple years if he slays the giants in big 10 with Indiana. But I think he might pick up a job in southeast for sure. He has ties to Pennsylvania so he may end at a bigger gig there if he can springboard. But he may just tell Florida no thanks since they haven't wanted him before.
Just depends on how big that number is. He has Indiana rolling in year one though
I was watching a Indiana basketball game last year and Cignetti came out and gave this big pep talk about he was going to win all these games, I was like “who is this guy, he’s FOS”, lol

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would say he brought in a pretty dang good qb actually two of them. He has put together a pretty good receiving corps and line. We stayed in the games against uga better than our previous coaches would have. He has adjust the offense and they have made improvements. They are hitting juco hard in recruiting for defense to try to work on that. Yes he made mistakes on hiring defense and not paying any attention. Greenhorn first time guys do that. His upbringing was Baylor, UCF, ole miss, and ou. None of those teams ever gave a dang about defense usually. So he has learned that the hard way and hopefully replaces that staff this off season. Arizona state has turned out to be not that bad and our offense wasn't that bad in the game just god awful defense. Our offense has played really well in the last two games. The Toledo game was horseshite all around. I'm not sure what happened in that game but we played and coached dead. They have pulled together and played much better at least on offense against two of the top 5 teams in last two weeks. We get TAMU at home. Maybe we can make some more improvement there. We just need better coaching and players on the defense. I also blame leach and Arnett for piss poor recruiting on that side of the ball. Leach never cared about recruiting front 7 on defense once those super super seniors graduated that he didn't recruit it but us right in the asss.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was watching a Indiana basketball game last year and Cignetti came out and gave this big pep talk about he was going to win all these games, I was like “who is this guy, he’s FOS”, lol
I was going to say I didn’t understand Florida, but then remembered Loaferz was doing the hiring. The blueprint is clear….hire a near P4 coach with a speed offense. Loaferz is just dumb.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I would say he brought in a pretty dang good qb actually two of them. He has put together a pretty good receiving corps and line. We stayed in the games against uga better than our previous coaches would have. He has adjust the offense and they have made improvements. They are hitting juco hard in recruiting for defense to try to work on that. Yes he made mistakes on hiring defense and not paying any attention. Greenhorn first time guys do that. His upbringing was Baylor, UCF, ole miss, and ou. None of those teams ever gave a dang about defense usually. So he has learned that the hard way and hopefully replaces that staff this off season. Arizona state has turned out to be not that bad and our offense wasn't that bad in the game just god awful defense. Our offense has played really well in the last two games. The Toledo game was horseshite all around. I'm not sure what happened in that game but we played and coached dead. They have pulled together and played much better at least on offense against two of the top 5 teams in last two weeks. We get TAMU at home. Maybe we can make some more improvement there. We just need better coaching and players on the defense. I also blame leach and Arnett for piss poor recruiting on that side of the ball. Leach never cared about recruiting front 7 on defense once those super super seniors graduated that he didn't recruit it but us right in the asss.
Why didn’t we use the portal like Arkansas did ? they did it in one portal class.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Croom (and Moorhead) had a few good game plans too. What will tell the tale, is how we play in the winnable games. You could easily make the argument that Texas and Georgia simply didn’t care when they played us.

Occams Razor.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Croom (and Moorhead) had a few good game plans too. What will tell the tale, is how we play in the winnable games. You could easily make the argument that Texas and Georgia simply didn’t care when they played us.

Occams Razor.
That could be true but their coach was mad enough he shoved out player. If we can be close this weekend I would say we are improving or if we can pull an upset. TAMU is nothing special on offense. Their defense is pretty good. We will see Saturday if we get skull drug. I expected that the last two games but surprised that we kept it close in both

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That could be true but their coach was mad enough he shoved out player. If we can be close this weekend I would say we are improving or if we can pull an upset. TAMU is nothing special on offense. Their defense is pretty good. We will see Saturday if we get skull drug. I expected that the last two games but surprised that we kept it close in both
Lebby will write his chapter in the near 3 games fore sure

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Mullen was great at identifying weaknesses & improving them. His marketing was top notch too.

I often wonder how well he would do as an AD.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login