MUW changing name to....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Should have been merged with MSU. Of course, here in the Sip, we'd rather fight among ourselves rather than combine some resources (in close proximity) and compete with programs outside this state. It was pitched to "save on administrative costs" which is dumb and obviously pissed off MUW, because they would be the administration that got cut. Typical short-sighted Mississippi BS, blame on both sides.

And of course, TRADISHUNS!!!! Which is bullcrap, due to this recent naming of it. SMDH.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So, they'd go from calling it "The W" to the "The B"?
Bold strategy.

Seriously, that's a terrible name. It sounds like a Daycare/Pre-K. I thought maybe it was named after somebody, but no, it's just to highlight that the students are "bright" and "well".
“We are about brightness, enlightenment and wellness,” Miller said. “We are empowering and enlightening. We started looking at our traditions. We study light to bless with light.”

(fart)

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
“We are about brightness, enlightenment and wellness,” Miller said. “We are empowering and enlightening. We started looking at our traditions. We study light to bless with light.”

(fart)
Wait a minute....is this a real quote? Brightwell isn't the name of a famous alumnus or teacher? They actually combined the words "bright" and "well" to make the name?

PLEASE tell me I missed your joke/sarcasm........

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Wait a minute....is this a real quote? Brightwell isn't the name of a famous alumnus or teacher? They actually combined the words "bright" and "well" to make the name?

PLEASE tell me I missed your joke/sarcasm........
Real quote.

Scroll to the bottom of the article:

• Wow
Reactions: WilCoDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Should have been merged with MSU. Of course, here in the Sip, we'd rather fight among ourselves rather than combine some resources (in close proximity) and compete with programs outside this state. It was pitched to "save on administrative costs" which is dumb and obviously pissed off MUW, because they would be the administration that got cut. Typical short-sighted Mississippi BS, blame on both sides.

And of course, TRADISHUNS!!!! Which is bullcrap, due to this recent naming of it. SMDH.
It's really absurd. What kind of political coalition is stopping MUW from being merged with MSU. Having state funded universities within 20 minutes of each other is absurd.

Put MUW under MSU.

Put DSU and Miss Valley under UM.

Put Alcorn under Jackson State.

Down from 8 to 4.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
MBU
Figured the B was for
britain's next top model GIF by Lifetime Telly

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
And whatever happened to tradition, could have at least gone back to its original name!****

“Mississippi University for Women, originally the Mississippi Industrial Institute and College for the Education of White Girls, was the first taxpayer supported college for women in the United States.”

Reactions: Anon1669338224

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
So, they'd go from calling it "The W" to the "The B"?
Bold strategy.

Seriously, that's a terrible name. It sounds like a Daycare/Pre-K. I thought maybe it was named after somebody, but no, it's just to highlight that the students are "bright" and "well".

(fart)

Easy there, I have to use this new prestigious university's app for my 11 month old's school:

ETA: The app is dogsh!t too. Nothing but problems since they switched to it from Kangaroo Time. Yep, this is my life now.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Easy there, I have to use this new prestigious university's app for my 11 month old's school:

ETA: The app is dogsh!t too. Nothing but problems since they switched to it from Kangaroo Time. Yep, this is my life now.
Hey! I saw that episode of Shark Tank recently!

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mississippi Brightwell University, pending Legislative approval

"Mississippi State-Columbus" is the most obvious choice, imo
Or even Mississippi State - MUW campus.

It's so easy, we had to screw it up. It's just a dumb combination of pride and trying to save an insignificant buck in the short term. No view towards the long term, and no effort towards trying to work together.

Of course the people in charge at that time cared nothing about MSU or MUW.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Or even Mississippi State - MUW campus.

It's so easy, we had to screw it up. It's just a dumb combination of pride and trying to save an insignificant buck in the short term. No view towards the long term, and no effort towards trying to work together.
Yeah… I’m all for places maintaining an identity and alumni being able to say “I graduated from” and name a place that still exists…

But if you’re changing the name anyway… might as well do something that makes sense. This is just bad all around.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It made sense when it was for women only. Once they started enrolling males, then it made no sense.
That's pretty much what one of the people on the naming committee told me.

Now I wonder if the committee compared potential names against each other as well as versus the W.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Good heavens....I just refuse to believe that the majority of the people in this state agree with what most of what our "leaders" do. I think we're all just too busy making a living and trying to survive to put any energy into giving a crap. What an unbelievably stupid name.

Reactions: KC_Dawg

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Agree and then MSU could expand the curriculum offerings. The "W" has a very good nursing school.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree and then MSU could expand the curriculum offerings. The "W" has a very good nursing school.
They have some type of dual enrollment degree for nursing, of course pushing the idea that it's not a merger. That happened a year or so after the merger got squashed. Around 2011 I think.

But it shouldn't have been done that way.

Reactions: dorndawg
Jun 9, 2015
It's really absurd. What kind of political coalition is stopping MUW from being merged with MSU. Having state funded universities within 20 minutes of each other is absurd.

Put MUW under MSU.

Put DSU and Miss Valley under UM.

Put Alcorn under Jackson State.

Down from 8 to 4.
It’s always baffled me that DSU has no agriculture programs or ties to Mississippi State. It’s Delta State University for crying out loud. One of the largest agricultural research stations in the country is a half hour away in Stoneville.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It’s always baffled me that DSU has no agriculture programs or ties to Mississippi State. It’s Delta State University for crying out loud. One of the largest agricultural research stations in the country is a half hour away in Stoneville.

Considering that they got started as a teachers school, you’d think they’d have an Ag Education program.

Delta State does have agribusiness specialties in general business and environmental science.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
To not completely abandon their feminine naming, their mascot will now be the Fighting Kotex Queens!

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Non-binary. I’ve always heard that only homosexual men went to school there. How do they expect to have a good football team?

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I see Delta St had an uptick in enrollment this year,but they are down over 20% in the past 8 years. All those schools are down in enrollment, Alcorn, JState, MVSU and MUW. Maybe the W has some value for the nursing program, but...... If I was State or OM, I would not want any part of any of them. Let natural selection runs it course.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I dated a really nice girl from there. She was neither a feminist or a B, so perhaps she didn't last long there.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I see Delta St had an uptick in enrollment this year,but they are down over 20% in the past 8 years. All those schools are down in enrollment, Alcorn, JState, MVSU and MUW. Maybe the W has some value for the nursing program, but...... If I was State or OM, I would not want any part of any of them. Let natural selection runs it course.
It’d have to be part of a plan to scale them down and reduce fixed costs. Sucks but at the end of the day, you’re going to have some relatively expensive buildings without a real purpose. Maybe in Cleveland you could recoup some costs by leasing out dirt cheap office space. MSVSU could maybe ultimately be made the new campus of Mississippi delta community college and just abandon the Moorhead campus?

Reactions: Maroon13

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
And whatever happened to tradition, could have at least gone back to its original name!****

“Mississippi University for Women, originally the Mississippi Industrial Institute and College for the Education of White Girls, was the first taxpayer supported college for women in the United States.”
Yes, yes 100 times yes. Go back to this so we can all be entertained! Holyshit this was actually their name- that is 17ing wild.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
How the 17 does someone study light and bless with light?
Unless that place has an amazing physics dept that is actually studying light, this quote is the most Bill Walton thing I have read in a long time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login