NCAA Tournament Game Thread - MSU vs Pitt

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
For the record, we didn't make the cut this year. Honor just to be in the play in game with this team

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Tolu fouled 3 times on 1 shot. Bumped, then right arm, then left arm & they swallow their whistles. They allowed the tall skinny punk *** white boy to do whatever he wanted. I’ve never seen a worse called game. EVER!
[/QUOfor.

Countless worse versus Kentucky in rupp.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It was easy for a call to be made when Smith tried to lay it up and got hacked by the tall white boy.

It doesn't matter he hit his arm. He got a block...right.

That's how you beat the team that's beating you on rebounds by double figures. 17em

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Take the Wichita State job. You won’t be missed

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
50 total rebounds to their 30, & 19 were offensive to their 8. And of the 19 second chances, there were 13 (at least) no calls. Legit fouls. This game shouldn’t have been close.
If you go back and watch it, you'll see exactly why Tolu and the team was effectively taken out of the game last few minutes. Yeah, we missed the shot at the end but it shouldn't come down to that.

I told my son we would lose and why when Matthews made the clean shot block for a foul earlier in the half.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Just watched the replay in slow motion and, yeah, Pitt made sure Tulu was not a factor in that final play.
Guess those refs can pick up their "bonus check" now. Disgraceful officiating. And yeah, Smith was bear-hugged and shoved away from any opportunity to rebound or tap the ball in.

I just can't believe those refs could be that horribly one-sided unintentionally.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
If you go back and watch it, you'll see exactly why Tolu and the team was effectively taken out of the game last few minutes. Yeah, we missed the shot at the end but it shouldn't come down to that.

I told my son we would lose and why when Matthews made the clean shot block for a foul earlier in the half.
That was another blatantly BAD call.
That was a very clean block.
Ref called what he THOUGHT he saw.
17-ing ridiculous!
I hope UAT gets this same pathetic crew that we had tonight.
Disgusting really that the refs inserted themselves into this game so much.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Bad player decisions and play at the end, lucky to be there. Liking Jans, I like where we’re headed.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Tell me how this ends up a 1 score game. I'll hang up and listen. We had almost double the amount of rebounds that they get

Rebounds2849
We were +8 in turn overs and they were +8 in free throw attempts. They also made half their 3 pointers. I've got us with 42 rebounds. We missed every 3 pointer in the 2nd half except for one.

We aren't that talented and we don't play that smart. We do play decent D most of the game though.

We had 3 players in double figures and they had 4.

Reed, Murphy, Jones, McNair, Stevenson, Matthews went a total of 4 of 20 shooting (20%).

Every player on their team shot a decent % other than the two Diaz brothers that went 1 for 9. They stopped shooting. Our 5 stat killer guys didn't. Just happy to be on the court flinging up shots like we are NBA talent.

Turnovers, shooting problems and not being smart/savvy enough to draw fouls. We really do just go out there shooting random junk and think we can win somehow. I don't think we know any better honestly. We just ball and hope it works out. Not seeing us try to draw fouls like Pitt did is just maddening. No excuse.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Tell me how this ends up a 1 score game. I'll hang up and listen. We had almost double the amount of rebounds that they get

Rebounds2849
We. Can. Not. Shoot. The. Ball. It’s a damn miracle Jans got us to the tournament with as bad a shooting team as we are. I mean, we had a wide open three to win the game. Nobody even on that side of the court except for Moore. And he bricked it. Doesn’t matter how well you rebound if you can’t put the ball in the basket.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I've seen multiple people complain that Moore missed a wide open 3pt shot at the end.
Even the best shooters make fewer than half from deep. It's worse than a 50-50 shot for the best of shooters.

^ counter to that is good shooters make more than half of uncontested 3pt shots. Perhaps, but that advanced stat doesn't exist as far as I know.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Pitt went 9 for 19 from deep, had 7 turnovers to our 14, and had 8 steals to our 1. They also shot and made more free throws.
Those reasons do count for a lot but we still had 21 more possessions. Watch if this happens in another game during the tournament and see what results you get. We almost had more rebounds in difference than they got for the entire game. That's quite a few more possession. Saying the difference between a few more 3's, 7 turnovers, and some free throws doesn't end up as equal in my book.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I've seen multiple people complain that Moore missed a wide open 3pt shot at the end.
Even the best shooters make fewer than half from deep. It's worse than a 50-50 shot for the best of shooters.

^ counter to that is good shooters make more than half of uncontested 3pt shots. Perhaps, but that advanced stat doesn't exist as far as I know.
He had a good look he just missed.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Those reasons do count for a lot but we still had 21 more possessions. Watch if this happens in another game during the tournament and see what results you get. We almost had more rebounds in difference than they got for the entire game. That's quite a few more possession. Saying the difference between a few more 3's, 7 turnovers, and some free throws doesn't end up as equal in my book.
The same thing happened against Vandy. We outrebounded them by 20 but still lost by five. Combination of we can’t shoot and they got hot from there.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015

Why would anybody want to go back and watch a game where one team was 6 of 23 from three point range?

That would be like circling back for a second colonoscopy in the afternoon.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The same thing happened against Vandy. We outrebounded them by 20 but still lost by five. Combination of we can’t shoot and they got hot from there.
Vandy big man out that game as well. Ref favors the weak little team again

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Why would anybody want to go back and watch a game where one team was 6 of 23 from three point range?

That would be like circling back for a second colonoscopy in the afternoon.
Thats literally our season average from deep. We averaged 26% from deep on the season.

Reactions: onewoof

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Continuing "How the 17 did we lose that game?" thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pitt is the only D-I team in the last 25 seasons to...<br><br>-score 60 or fewer points<br>-shoot 35.0% or worse on 2-pointers<br>-shoot 60.0% or worse on free throws<br>-get outrebounded by 20 or more<br><br>...and yet still win the game.<br><br>D-I teams had been 0-348 over that span with those numbers.</p>&mdash; OptaSTATS (@OptaSTATS) <a href="">March 15, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login