NCAA Tournament Game Thread - MSU vs Pitt

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Why would anybody want to go back and watch a game where one team was 6 of 23 from three point range?

That would be like circling back for a second colonoscopy in the afternoon.
Are you making fun of my colonoscopy thread where I DID in fact circle back for another?

But seriously, it seemed when they went to the line most times I didn't see the foul but it seemed we were getting mugged with no calls. This is my Expert Opinion even though I'm 5'6" , White and Slow and never played the game on any level except "HORSE" in a driveway or playground.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Continuing "How the 17 did we lose that game?" thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pitt is the only D-I team in the last 25 seasons to...<br><br>-score 60 or fewer points<br>-shoot 35.0% or worse on 2-pointers<br>-shoot 60.0% or worse on free throws<br>-get outrebounded by 20 or more<br><br>...and yet still win the game.<br><br>D-I teams had been 0-348 over that span with those numbers.</p>&mdash; OptaSTATS (@OptaSTATS) <a href="">March 15, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We lost because we don't take care of the ball much better than a church league team. They had too many steals and we gave up too many turnovers. We're not a good offensive team and just can't afford to do that.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Still confused how a team that scored the majority of points in the paint somehow had less than half the fouls as the team that jacked up 3s most possessions, of which they had fewer. And hit a total of 3 more 3s for the game.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Continuing "How the 17 did we lose that game?" thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pitt is the only D-I team in the last 25 seasons to...<br><br>-score 60 or fewer points<br>-shoot 35.0% or worse on 2-pointers<br>-shoot 60.0% or worse on free throws<br>-get outrebounded by 20 or more<br><br>...and yet still win the game.<br><br>D-I teams had been 0-348 over that span with those numbers.</p>&mdash; OptaSTATS (@OptaSTATS) <a href="">March 15, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

that really tells the story, and the answer is because their opponent (us):

• Shot 26% on 3 pointers
  • Had +8 more turnovers
  • Had +8 more fouls

I would watch the foul differential in the upcoming games to see if there is that much disparity.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
I've seen multiple people complain that Moore missed a wide open 3pt shot at the end.
Even the best shooters make fewer than half from deep. It's worse than a 50-50 shot for the best of shooters.

^ counter to that is good shooters make more than half of uncontested 3pt shots. Perhaps, but that advanced stat doesn't exist as far as I know.
He should have drove to the basket, had time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login