New Restaurant/bar on the way, The Landing

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I admire the respect for The Landing but it won't ever be the same, shot many a game of pool out there and had the ladies getting me plastic cup fulls of beer on ladies night. Looking forward to it though.
Edit: When we would leave we always sat at the entrance to the parking lot arguing about which way we wanted to go back to Starkville, Old West Point Rd, 182, Old 82, or back down to Artesia Rd. It was always a gamble where the roadblocks would be and I wouldn't have my first cell phone for another 5 or 6 years (1988ish) to call anybody that had already left to let me know

Last edited:

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I admire the respect for The Landing but it won't ever be the same, shot many a game of pool out there and had the ladies getting me plastic cup fulls of beer on ladies night. Looking forward to it though.
Edit: When we would leave we always sat at the entrance to the parking lot arguing about which way we wanted to go back to Starkville, Old West Point Rd, 182, Old 82, or back down to Artesia Rd. It was always a gamble where the roadblocks would be and I wouldn't have my first cell phone for another 5 or 6 years (1988ish) to call anybody that had already left to let me know
It’s amazing that there weren’t wrecks and fatalities all of the time coming back from The Landing, Doug’s, and The Club.
But damn there was some great nights at those places - and even some great afternoons at The Landing.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
I can hear the bottles getting run over in the parking lot and someone just got popped in the head with another. Good times!

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
My favorite part was when a cop would walk in. There would be hundreds of half full beers on the counters and pool tables that no one would claim.

Reactions: 3000lbchicken

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Also, memorabilia? I don’t remember anything from the landing you could use as memorabilia

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Memorabilia?... I might still have some gravel in my knee from that parking lot dust up with the Pikes back in '92.

Otherwise, unless they're going to bring back $1.50 longnecks I don't think there was much to remember.
I started at State in 95. There was a fight in the Landing parking lot that they sang songs and told legends of. Was that the one?

Trazom

Mar 26, 2023
I started at State in 95. There was a fight in the Landing parking lot that they sang songs and told legends of. Was that the one?
The 95 fight was where a guy was cut badly twice across the chest. Cheerleader if my memory is correct about any of this.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Memorabilia?... I might still have some gravel in my knee from that parking lot dust up with the Pikes back in '92.

Otherwise, unless they're going to bring back $1.50 longnecks I don't think there was much to remember.

Mighta been there that night....not on either side but saw a bad one one night and sounds familiar. Of course, lot of parking lot brawls at the Landing.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

That and smoking. It ain’t the landing without a layer of smoke.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
"She lies and says she's in love with him
Can't find a better man
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man"

I think that played late every Thursday night for my freshman year.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I was there back in the 70s and you could pretty much get anything you wanted whether it was walking or crawling. One time my roommate and I partied until close and then through our stupor discovered we were left behind by our other friends(?). It was a cold January night and a cowboy (hat, boots, cup and accent ) in a convertable mustang drove up and asked us if we needed a lift back to Starkvegas. Having no choice, we jumped in and he flew down 82 with that top down. First time I had sobered up by freezing.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It’s amazing that there weren’t wrecks and fatalities all of the time coming back from The Landing, Doug’s, and The Club.
But damn there was some great nights at those places - and even some great afternoons at The Landing.
Supposedly there was a few bad wrecks in the 60s and 70s on old 82. That is why 82 was 4 laned between Columbus and Starkville many years before any other highways near there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I hada night chat one semesterhe lies and says she's in love with him
Can't find a better man
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man"

I think that played late every Thursday night for my freshman year.
I had a Thrs nt Commercial Law class one semester, what a dumb decision. I sat in that class on the top floor of McCool every Thrs nt 7-9:00 wondering what kind of fun everybody was having out there while I sat in a law class, didn't learn a damned thing. Always took a few shots from a pint bottle to catch up with all my friends. Most other Thursday nights we'd go to Mexican Kitchen in Columbus (it's still there and open) first and eat a "large plate" to help hold down the liquid calories coming later

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah, I wondered the same thing.

1681909468772.jpeg or 1681909482070.jpeg?

Perhaps
?

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Supposedly there was a few bad wrecks in the 60s and 70s on old 82. That is why 82 was 4 laned between Columbus and Starkville many years before any other highways near there.
Sadly, it was more than a few wrecks and fatalities. MUW ( MSCW back then ) girls and all of the nightclubs were in Columbus / Lowndes Country. If memory serves me correctly, there we 18 students killed between Columbus and Starkville one year in the 1960’s and that’s when they decided to 4 lane highway 82. One of the students killed that year was a starting defensive back at State named Emil Petro. Just a little tid bit that you other old timers might remember. There were lots of clubs and The Southernaire, which eventually became the Club was My favorite along with the Silver Spur on Old Macon Road.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Somebody get a photo of the “huge rooftop space.” Would be handy as a reference point after the collapse.

Nov 6, 2015
Sadly, it was more than a few wrecks and fatalities. MUW ( MSCW back then ) girls and all of the nightclubs were in Columbus / Lowndes Country. If memory serves me correctly, there we 18 students killed between Columbus and Starkville one year in the 1960’s and that’s when they decided to 4 lane highway 82. One of the students killed that year was a starting defensive back at State named Emil Petro. Just a little tid bit that you other old timers might remember. There were lots of clubs and The Southernaire, which eventually became the Club was My favorite along with the Silver Spur on Old Macon Road.
Emil petro is alive and well living in Tupelo

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I frequented The Club, infrequently. It was much more about loud music and dancing than The Landing. Back in early to mid 80's you could go there on a Thrs nt and see many of the football team lined up along the wall getting hammered. They'd stay there and get tanked up and then go board a plane on Friday for wherever they played that weekend or sleep in on Friday a.m. if it was a home game and try to sleep it off. You can still order one of these classic "The Club" shirts :

The Club tshirt and cap

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The perfect day: John's Texaco --> Tibbee Bridge --> The Landing --> Doug's --> Mack's Supper Club.

Not sure how I survived, but good times they were.

Reactions: dudehead and MSUGUY

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Never made it past the crossroads and more specifically Len Lews through the mid to late 70"s. Still 2 lanes then and that was enough driving for me to get a beer (or 2).

Reactions: Indognito

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I frequented The Club, infrequently. It was much more about loud music and dancing than The Landing. Back in early to mid 80's you could go there on a Thrs nt and see many of the football team lined up along the wall getting hammered. They'd stay there and get tanked up and then go board a plane on Friday for wherever they played that weekend or sleep in on Friday a.m. if it was a home game and try to sleep it off. You can still order one of these classic "The Club" shirts :

The Club tshirt and cap
That has to be Big Bob in that picture - one of bartenders at The Club back in the 80’s

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Never made it past the crossroads and more specifically Len Lews through the mid to late 70"s. Still 2 lanes then and that was enough driving for me to get a beer (or 2).
I met Jack Cristil in Len Lews one night in the mid 1970’s. He was on his way to call a basketball game. Sat next to me at the bar and had a cheeseburger and a coke. We had a great conversation and I was in total awe.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login