Non Portal OT: Stupid Movies

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Am I just getting old, or are there no longer any good stupid movies being made? I could make a list dozens of movies long that are a decade or more older, but recent stuff I'm running dry.

I'm talking Old School, Step Brothers, Talladega Nights, Broken Lizard Franchise, Dodgeball, Zoolander, Saving Silverman, Idiocracy, and on and on.

Eurovision Song Contest is the only recent one off the top from last few years. That's how dry the well has been.

Name the new ones...and feel free to rehash the classics.

Reactions: Dawgg

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Am I just getting old, or are there no longer any good stupid movies being made? I could make a list dozens of movies long that are a decade or more older, but recent stuff I'm running dry.

I'm talking Old School, Step Brothers, Talladega Nights, Broken Lizard Franchise, Dodgeball, Zoolander, Saving Silverman, Idiocracy, and on and on.

Eurovision Song Contest is the only recent one off the top from last few years. That's how dry the well has been.

Jason Goes to Space
-an embarrassment to Pamela Voorhees
Friday The 13Th Horror GIF by filmeditor

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg and ckDOG

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

MacGruber, This is the End

ETA: as to the why, R-rated movies are much more or a niche Hollywood deal than you'd think. Doesn't hit well with the demographicsn of who buys movie tickets. To top it off, home theaters have made it worse. I personally intentionally stopped going to a movie theater for a comedy a long time ago, maybe Old School was my last? Borat? I reserve that extra cost and effort for spectacle movies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
MacGruber, This is the End

ETA: as to the why, R-rated movies are much more or a niche Hollywood deal than you'd think. Doesn't hit well with the demographicsn of who buys movie tickets. To top it off, home theaters have made it worse. I personally intentionally stopped going to a movie theater for a comedy a long time ago, maybe Old School was my last? Borat? I reserve that extra cost and effort for spectacle movies.
This is the end was pretty decent. Actually saw that in the theater. Don't look up sort was more satire but I could throw it in this bucket also.

I think you are right. Big budget spectacle movies are what gets folks to out their butts in theater seats. Potty humor and stupid **** is left for the streamers.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
There is a movie on Netflix called "Don't Look Up" that is probably the funniest thing I've seen in 10 years.
It's complete satire, ironically done by some pretty liberal folks (little Leo for example) but they go after everybody. I don't think it got good reviews because they made fun of everyone equally. I loved it.
It's not Hollywood's fault they're afraid of offending everyone. When we get tired of this fad of not offending everybody, then we might have some more of those movies.

On the note of offending people, I saw that they no longer play the 2nd episode of The Office, where they have diversity training, or whatever they called it. I was so pissed off when I found that out. THE episode that put the show on the map, and now they don't play it. There is no sense of humor any more, and the whole point of the episode was to point out how silly the stereotypes can be.... but doesn't matter because it may offend 3 people in some ivy league school somewhere. I mean, I'm not gonna boycott the show myself, but I was more offended about the episode getting cancelled than anything in the show itself.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Cocaine Bear is coming out. Violent Night looks incredible as well.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
There is a movie on Netflix called "Don't Look Up" that is probably the funniest thing I've seen in 10 years.
It's complete satire, ironically done by some pretty liberal folks (little Leo for example) but they go after everybody. I don't think it got good reviews because they made fun of everyone equally. I loved it.

On the note of offending people, I saw that they no longer play the 2nd episode of The Office, where they have diversity training, or whatever they called it. I was so pissed off when I found that out. THE episode that put the show on the map, and now they don't play it. There is no sense of humor any more, and the whole point of the episode was to point out how silly the stereotypes can be.... but doesn't matter because it may offend 3 people in some ivy league school somewhere. I mean, I'm not gonna boycott the show myself, but I was more offended about the episode getting cancelled than anything in the show itself.
Mindy Kaling said The Office couldn’t me made today because of cancel culture, a lot of people pointed out It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is hitting season 16 and still going.

ServiceDogg

Nov 19, 2017
Grandma's Boy
40 Year Old Virgin
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
UHF

I watched the new Weird Al movie (Weird: The Al Yankovic Story)
It was alright.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Did you bother to go look for yourself or did you just get "so pissed off" based on what someone else told you? Because I just went to Peacock, where The Office is currently streaming, and Diversity Day is right there, able to be watched.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Did you bother to go look for yourself or did you just get "so pissed off" based on what someone else told you? Because I just went to Peacock, where The Office is currently streaming, and Diversity Day is right there, able to be watched.

No, I noticed it on Comedy Central reruns, that the 2nd episode was not there. And a week later, a friend of mine told me that they weren't airing it anymore. Perhaps this was specific to "comendy" central. But you can also take 3 seconds to google it, which is less time than it takes to post a condescending response and sound like a total prick

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
The Rock and/or Kevin Hart can only make so many movies a year. It seems that’s the only 2 Hollywood feels safe in those roles.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Mindy Kaling said The Office couldn’t me made today because of cancel culture, a lot of people pointed out It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is hitting season 16 and still going.

It's funny how Sunny and South Park get a pass and keep doing the same thing. Thank God because those are my favorite 2 shows (even still).
Part of it is the South Park folks truly do not care what people think, because they know they have an audience that will laugh. A few years ago they got death threats for making fun of Mohammed, if you recall.

The Sunny folks know they have an audience, and their podcast is interesting. They talk a lot about how some earlier episodes could be viewed as offensive but point out that things have changed in the 15 years that they have been on tv.
Unfortunately they have caved a little bit as well, removing the "lethal weapon black face" episodes, and the hispanic weather girl spoof.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There’s a bunch of stupid movies in Netflix. Those kind of movies just don’t go to the theater much anymore. They stick them on Netflix and HBOMax.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
No, I noticed it on Comedy Central reruns, that the 2nd episode was not there. And a week later, a friend of mine told me that they weren't airing it anymore. Perhaps this was specific to "comendy" central. But you can also take 3 seconds to google it, which is less time than it takes to post a condescending response and sound like a total prick
So, to be clear... you're "so pissed off" about one cable channel choosing to not rerun a 17-year old episode of a TV show during one weekend-long marathon last year... even though you can still watch that episode (and the entire rest of the series) on a widely-available streaming platform. Makes total sense.

Reactions: dorndawg and Dawgg

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story is on the Roku Channel.

Madonna lures Weird Al in with sex and alcohol and rode his coattails to super stardom.

The viewer has to be at least 50 (watched MTV in the early years) to have a few chuckles during the movie. It definitely meets the stupid requirement.

Reactions: Dawgg

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
This is the end was pretty decent. Actually saw that in the theater. Don't look up sort was more satire but I could throw it in this bucket also.

I think you are right. Big budget spectacle movies are what gets folks to out their butts in theater seats. Potty humor and stupid **** is left for the streamers.
Really Enjoyed “Don’t look up”, especially the tech billionaire portrayal.

Also a fan of “This is the End”. “The Interview” is similar and good too. Coincidentally my church Sunday School was discussing Rapture scripture last week, and our 85 yo rector played the “This is the End” rapture scene on TV for the class full of senior citizens (in fun way to facilitate discussion). Thought that was pretty humorous.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think Danny DeVito has said that Sunny is basically 'grandfathered' in. If they tried to pitch it today, it would never make it.

By the way, if you really want something to make you clench your jaw a little, go read the lyrics to "Brown Sugar".

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Some movies that werent listed in the OP or subsequent posts that are similar to what the OP listed-
21 Jumpstreet
22 Jumpstreet
Gamenight
We're the Millers
Neighbors
Couples Retreat
Neighbors 2
Get Hard
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Hot Tub Time Machine and the sequel
Holmes & Watson
Hall Pass
Get Him to the Greek
This is 40
I Love you Man
Superbad
Wedding Crashers

A whole lot more too.
Yes, most of these are over 5 years old and many are 10-15 years old. Maybe its my age, but it seems like 2002-2017 was a huge period for funny movies that wont win awards, but are memorable and worth watching.

One of the worst movies I have ever seen needs to be mentioned. Its a PSA for those who want to avoid it, or for those who enjoy truly awful movies. This is supposed to be a comedy and it even has Luke Wilson as a main character. Its free on HULU- The Swing of Things. This movie is a total mess. The directing is terrible, the storyline is totally random(they just drop what seem to be plotlines), the editing is atrocious, and the acting is trash. Scenes change while people are still talking- it is a total mess.
It is just so bad- you sit there starting at it wondering what the 17 is happening in front of you.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
A) Not exactly in the vein of some of the stupid movies mentioned, but I enjoyed "Confess, Fletch". It's not as good as Fletch but miles better than Fletch Lives. Jon Hamm plays the role way better than I expected.

B) As far as big stupid comedy movies, I think that era is largely gone for a couple reasons: 1) comedy just doesn't translate well internationally: what's funny in America ain't funny in South Korea, and what's funny in India isn't funny here. This is why we get a steady diet of Star Heroes movies; they have simple themes that translate most everywhere. Plus they're easy to make. 2) I'd guess the average age of this board is pushing 40 (Drebin's harem post makes me think more like pushing 80). Yall need to understand we aren't the target demo anymore. Comedy is very generational. I never thought MASH was funny, and at the same time the things I see 20 year olds laughing at I don't get in the slightest. Furthermore, these youngsters don't consume full-length movies - they watch Tic-Taks and youtube clips.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

The Happytime Murders. You're welcome. Best dumb movie I've seen in years.

Reactions: hdogg and ckDOG

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
A) Not exactly in the vein of some of the stupid movies mentioned, but I enjoyed "Confess, Fletch". It's not as good as Fletch but miles better than Fletch Lives. Jon Hamm plays the role way better than I expected.

B) As far as big stupid comedy movies, I think that era is largely gone for a couple reasons: 1) comedy just doesn't translate well internationally: what's funny in America ain't funny in South Korea, and what's funny in India isn't funny here. This is why we get a steady diet of Star Heroes movies; they have simple themes that translate most everywhere. Plus they're easy to make. 2) I'd guess the average age of this board is pushing 40 (Drebin's harem post makes me think more like pushing 80). Yall need to understand we aren't the target demo anymore. Comedy is very generational. I never thought MASH was funny, and at the same time the things I see 20 year olds laughing at I don't get in the slightest. Furthermore, these youngsters don't consume full-length movies - they watch Tic-Taks and youtube clips.
I watched Confess, Fletch expecting the worst and came away mildly surprised. It's not particularly memorable, but it wasn't terrible. I agree with you that Hamm did a fairly decent job in that role.

I watched Glass Onion last week. It's the Knives Out sequel. I thought it was pretty good.

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login