OK Boomer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
TurningPoint? Weak.

But putting the source aside, that is clearly a biased attempt at making a point. It suggests there were no run down parts of the country 50-80 years ago. Of course there were.
And it suggests run down parts of the country today are because we are collectively weak, which is a view that is devoid of a basic understanding of society.

The last picture in your gif is as accurate as if I were to post the picture below and claim universal prosperity and good times are happening right now.

Reactions: ChE1997

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Lighter hearted point. As a man sitting on that edge of Gen X and Millennials (the Oregon Trail generation) and 20+ years into my career, this tweet speaks to me. I feel like I'm sandwiched between idiots that can't solve problems many days.
I am very pleased to see someone else use 'Oregon Trail generation' as a term. I read it 6 or so years ago and have used it since because it perfectly describes about '79-83 birth years, at least where I grew up.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The investors are just a symptom of the problem. We make building houses expensive with red tape, exclusionary zoning, and by outlawing lower quality homes in some ways (while also ensuring that tons of homes built are low quality tract homes, just more expensive ones that can check the right boxes). Where I live we could have lots of infill development. But the local government makes it prohibitively expensive to deal with them, partly because they don't know what they're doing and partly because the big developers that support the right people want infill to be difficult, because that makes there cookie cutter POS's on clear cut land more attractive.
So if there was less red tape involved in developing a neighborhood, you think builders would lower their prices?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Without going through all of these pages (so forgive me if this has been covered), but I have no problem with baby boomers. My problem primarily is how much is blamed by baby boomers on millennials (and to a lesser degree Gen-X) for issues that they didn't even start. Full disclosure, I'm a 1980 baby so I'm firmly on that Gen-X/Millennial 'Oregon Trail' dividing line and have stereotypical traits of both.

Take participation trophies for example. For some bizarre reason, it seems to be some hot button issue with baby boomers that we don't reward competition because we give out participation trophies to kids and they expect that through life. While I disagree with that premise entirely, even if that logic was sound, well... any sport I played as a child in the 80's and 90's rewarded us at the end of the year with those participation trophies. Annnnd who gave us those participation trophies? We were kids, so it's not like we drove down to the local Winner's Circle and paid to have the trophies made and engraved and then handed them out to each other... They were designed, purchased, and given to us by baby boomers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChE1997 and ckDOG

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Is it? Again, depends on location and cost of living.

You seem to view this as a simple and clear line- so what is the income threshold needed to categorize someone as 'rich'?
$219k**

$220k is rich anywhere. If you chose to live above your means, that’s not a money problem, that’s a decision making problem.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yes, they do. They don't do it unaffordable places, but what you describe is NOT the whole country. You need to get out more.

My city's cost of living is 88.9 compared to the national average(which is 100).
Utility prices are 15% lower. Transportation expenses are 12% lower. Grocery prices are 2% lower.
Unemployment in my metro is 2.2%.

So by all accounts, I live in an affordable city and metro with high employment.
And yet- very little housing is being developed that is under $250k. I will occasionally see a townhome complex that is 'starting at $220k' or a downtown condo/townhome development with some studio style units for $200k.
If you want a single family home that is being built, it will be over $260k and typically $300k is the low end.
Ha, I just looked at Realtor.com for new construction in my city- there are 25 listings under $260k and all are townhomes. There are a few houses just under $300k, and then it goes back to multiple townhomes for over $300k.

Why build 40 new homes for $200k each when you can easily sell 40 homes for $340k each?
Your claim that people need to get out more is comical.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I was talking about a DRYER. You just made me snort beer. You poor baby. I didn't either. OR a dryer for a long time. We didn't havea weedeater either, they weren't invented yet. Ever do all the edging around the house, fences, etc. with old HAND clippers, as a seven year old?
I mowed grass with an old man powered clipper mower and edged the grass along the sidewalk in front of our house with an old butcher knife. You young whipper snappers get the 17 off of my lawn. Right there with you L4Dawg.

Reactions: L4Dawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
$219k**

$220k is rich anywhere. If you chose to live above your means, that’s not a money problem, that’s a decision making problem.
Ok, that made me laugh.
But really- what is your number? This isnt some trap where I am going to argue, you can say $100k is the threshold for 'rich' and I will disagree, but its not like there is any need to do more than that.

Using that Pew link I posted earlier, a family of 4 in my metro is viewed as 'upper income'(so rich?) if the household income is $160k. That is bonkers low to me. A couple parents pulling in $80k each and having 2 kids is not 'upper income' to me because they will likely live close to paycheck to paycheck for many points in their children's lives, even if they are not spending lavishly.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't know how you keep missing this point. You seem to think that the reason those don't exist is because people want nice things. Which is partly true. But you also won't find a builder that will build that house. Mostly due to he will make more money building a mc mansion and selling it for 10x the price and profit.

Even if we "let developers build where they want" Which is happening in the Houston area, the developer just packs $400,000+ houses in. Because he makes more money. Ther is no incentive for him to build more affordable houses. Its the same labor and the same land. The materials are cheaper but not enough to offset the MUCH higher profit.
^ Its true where I grew up, Its true where my wife grew up, its true where family lives that has discussed this topic, and its true where I live. And that is a pretty wide geographic reach.
There is little to no incentive to build less expensive single family housing(or even less expensive partially attached housing) in a lot of instances.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Ok, that made me laugh.
But really- what is your number? This isnt some trap where I am going to argue, you can say $100k is the threshold for 'rich' and I will disagree, but its not like there is any need to do more than that.

Using that Pew link I posted earlier, a family of 4 in my metro is viewed as 'upper income'(so rich?) if the household income is $160k. That is bonkers low to me. A couple parents pulling in $80k each and having 2 kids is not 'upper income' to me because they will likely live close to paycheck to paycheck for many points in their children's lives, even if they are not spending lavishly.
I would argue $150k is “rich”. We may differ on what “rich” means and no two people would ever see eye to eye on that. At $150k you can live comfortably. With proper decision making, you can have nice things and not be in financial stress. That’s how I would define rich. If you live above your means, you can make $1mil and be broke or worse.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
At $150k you can live comfortably. With proper decision making, you can have nice things and not be in financial stress. That’s how I would define rich.
Ok, fair enough. I think thats low and there is a big difference between 'comfortable' and 'rich' when it comes to income, but yeah I get what you are saying.

This brings into the equation the reality that income and wealth are very different things, and I think you tie 'rich' to wealth more than I do.
I 100% agree on your second sentence. Living within your means is a concept that is clearly difficult to enact for many.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
TurningPoint? Weak.

But putting the source aside, that is clearly a biased attempt at making a point. It suggests there were no run down parts of the country 50-80 years ago. Of course there were.
And it suggests run down parts of the country today are because we are collectively weak, which is a view that is devoid of a basic understanding of society.

The last picture in your gif is as accurate as if I were to post the picture below and claim universal prosperity and good times are happening right now.

Update:

SPS Squad names update.png

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Ok, fair enough. I think thats low and there is a big difference between 'comfortable' and 'rich' when it comes to income, but yeah I get what you are saying.
For this discussion, yes. But I would say a well fed, healthy family who knows where they are going to spend eternity as “rich”, but thought that was a little of topic for this concise thread.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
This is true regardless of age group. The amount of insane crap that so many over 50 believe, due to media consumption, could fill up oceans.
Yup. The absolute claims of a lot of people are easy to refute although many are immune to reason and evidence. Years ago I had some uncles, aunts etc with Fox Geezer Syndrome. Now I know elderly with MSNBC Geezer Syndrome who morally scold others. Even here, millennials would do better to just say it's difficult, or maybe harder than in prior generations to do some things instead of saying nonsense such as no one can buy a home now. There are unique issues facing millennials. But it's also true that making good decisions and choices, sacrificing the way recent generations did can make your life a lot better.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
All generations have people that are a credit to their generation and those that are not. Just a couple of observations over the last 10 plus years and then I am going to go look for some football to read about or find something productive to do. First, for whatever reason, a significant percentage of younger working age people are completely unmotivated in creating a career for themselves or just managing to get out of bed and showing up for work. Talk to any business owner about the problems them have with finding good workers. The positive part of this is that it creates a huge opportunity for those younger working age people that are responsible, dependable, aggressive, go getters. Our two boys are in their 30’s and are both very successful business professionals in their fields. We tried our hardest to be good parents but we were definitely harder on them than most other parents of our generation. Were we just lucky or did we do it right? I don’t know. I have noticed that the kids that had parents that babied and spoon fed hem until and in some cases after they were adults are mostly not reaching their potential, and that’s saying it as nicely as I can. Helicopter parents is he term now days. They are going to be old enough to draw social security before they get a real job. That is a reflection on the poor job of parenting by us boomers. Everyone wants to care for and protect their children but at the same time you have to prepare them to make their way in the world and the world ain’t an easy place. If they always had every single thing they wanted handed to them what’s the motivation to get up off of their butt and do something? Also, kids that played sports, especially in high school, on average seemed to be more prepared for the real world. Teamwork, competition, success, failure, sweat, execution, etc are all good practice for the real world. If you can get up and go lift weights at 5:00am or face a coaches punishment, or go through two a days when it’s 97 degrees every day, then getting up and making it to work on time looks pretty easy. This whole thread his pretty depressing so I think I will get my old boomer butt up and go do some work for awhile. Football can’t get here soon enough………

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is it? Again, depends on location and cost of living.

You seem to view this as a simple and clear line- so what is the income threshold needed to categorize someone as 'rich'?
People use rich to mean both high income earning and being wealthy. High income earning I think is pretty obvious what it means, even if people put their threshold for qualifying in different places. Wealthy to me means the ability to continue a first world upper middle income or high income lifestyle without working because of assets. Some people seem to use wealthy to mean "enough money to have a private plane" or some other material marker, but to be able to sustain a median income lifestyle in the US (~$70k per year is the median household income), that means you need about $1.75M. That is wealthy in a sense (fabulously wealthy in historical terms) but I can understand not viewing that as wealthy. But it's pretty damn fortunate.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Is Will gonna move ahead of Fitz with a good season? I think that's possible and I hope it happens.
nope, your wrong. you know how i know? the usual suspects wouldn't be on here commenting about a football thread.... they just come for the politics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login