OK Boomer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Thanks Grandpa, I had no idea we had better Technology now...

That Black and white TV with 3 channels cost a months wages.
If you want to live by the standards of back then you can still do it on one income. Those houses were SMALL too.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
You actually don't know much. You can't say the obvious, we need some infrastructure improvements, and then just flail and rant. Top 10% is rich. It really is. Here' an article on what infrastructure costs here compared to Europe from a lefty publication: https://www.vox.com/22534714/rail-roads-infrastructure-costs-america

"In the 2010s, New York opened two subway extensions (7 extension, Second Avenue Subway) for $1.3-1.6 billion/km. This decade, Paris has built several Métro extensions (M4, M12 in service; M1, M11, GPX under construction) for around $250 million/km."

"We used to be able to build things." And we still do. There's a new bridge going up not far from me. It's expensive. Nola remodelled it's airport and rebuilt some things. It's better. Check it out.

"We used to be able to work one job and afford to buy a house and a car and send kids to college." You can still buy a 1,000 square foot house on one salary. Homes are bigger now and with nicer things. Those Levitown houses were like 900 sq ft living and one bathroom. I grew up without a dryer and one tv and the family had one car. Try it out. It can be done still today. But, that's minimalism is not for me.

We also have an incredible rate of howeownership. "65.8% of Americans own a home as of 2022. Some 74 million Americans, or about 27%, live in a condo or HOA property. 58.4 percent of the housing units were owner-occupied.Feb 4, 2023"

You might want to educate yourself on the things that make you angry. You also might want to properly evaluate Jackson's leadership.
I'm not angry.

And I'm not getting into the racism about the Jackson leadership.

You don't know much either. If I live in Mississippi, maybe. if i can find a job.

The homeownership rate for households aged less than 35 decreased to 38.5% in the second quarter of 2023.

The 1400 sqft House I bought in Houston in 1997 cost me $80,000. I made $40,000. SAME house sold recently for $308,000 and new engineers make $80,000.

I don't know what ya'll obsession is with a $500 dryer.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If I were really your grandpa, I would have given you an education to prevent you from being embarassed on a sports message board.
Ignorance is sometimes bliss, sometimes it makes for rage. We see which way he went.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Healthcare is more expensive today than it was in the 1960s. I suppose you can go to a hospital and tell them you'd like to save money and be administered 1960s-style healthcare. I'll take the advances since then but might just be me.
Healthcare is more expensive because health insurance companies took over the industry in the 1980's and 1990's

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

People back then couldn't get one for the home because they didn't exist for the most part. Thats the whole POINT. I grew up in a TWO income household that didn't have one for a LONG time. My parents were both college graduates and had good jobs.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
If you want to live by the standards of back then you can still do it on one income. Those houses were SMALL too.
Gee grandpa i never seen a house that was built before 1970. Thanks where can i see such wonderment....

Oh I found one of your tiny houses...

https://www.har.com/homedetail/9013-kerrwood-ln-houston-tx-77080/7980422?lid=8027670

Median income here is 30,438 USD.
or
$2,536.5 a month

The Estimated Monthly Principal & Interest
$1,827
Estimated Monthly Property Tax
$711

I'm on $1.50 in the hole and I dont even have AC or a car or anything....

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm not angry.

And I'm not getting into the racism about the Jackson leadership.

You don't know much either. If I live in Mississippi, maybe. if i can find a job.

The homeownership rate for households aged less than 35 decreased to 38.5% in the second quarter of 2023.

The 1400 sqft House I bought in Houston in 1997 cost me $80,000. I made $40,000. SAME house sold recently for $308,000 and new engineers make $80,000.

It's a good idea to buy a house in the right market. You can make money off of it especially if it's in a good location. Jackson's leadership is pretty pathetic but it appears that some people won't say that to avoid a label. I like dryers. I suspect you haven't spent much time in Europe. You just provided an anecdote as evidence.

"The homeownership rate for households aged less than 35 decreased to 38.5% in the second quarter of 2023." Wow. That second quarter. If you can find a quarter to support an argument then you don't belong on a message board.
"The U.S. homeownership rate in 2022 was even higher than before the COVID-19 pandemic — 65.8% compared to 64.6% in 2019 — a rebound driven largely by those age 44 and younger"

But how about that third quarter: "The homeownership rate among Americans under 35 years was 39 percent slightly increased in the third quarter of 2022. About 39 percent of the people in this age group owned a home during this period."

Next

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
People back then couldn't get one for the home because they didn't exist for the most part. Thats the whole POINT. I grew up in a TWO income household that didn't have one for a LONG time. My parents were both college graduates and had good jobs.
I didnt have on Iphone growing up. Or wifi.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Healthcare is more expensive because health insurance companies took over the industry in the 1980's and 1990's
Actually the government sets ALL third party healthcare reimbursement rates. Healthcare has made enormous strides over the last few decades. It has been astounding. That costs money. If you want to set your standard at an earlier decade, you can get by cheaper too. Go back to that single income era and it wouldn't cost you nearly as much as it does at the current standard. They could not do much back then.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Gee grandpa i never seen a house that was built before 1970. Thanks where can i see such wonderment....

Oh I found one of your tiny houses...

https://www.har.com/homedetail/9013-kerrwood-ln-houston-tx-77080/7980422?lid=8027670

Median income here is 30,438 USD.
or
$2,536.5 a month

The Estimated Monthly Principal & Interest
$1,827
Estimated Monthly Property Tax
$711

I'm on $1.50 in the hole and I dont even have AC or a car or anything....
Have you ever seen one that hasn't been updated at all? I mean NO tech or gadgets since then. I grew up in one, but my folks were early adopters since they were a TWO income family. They could afford it. I was in plenty of them though. I had relatives, OLD relatives, that never had an air conditioner, or a TV and they lived into the 80s.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I didnt have on Iphone growing up. Or wifi.
I was talking about a DRYER. You just made me snort beer. You poor baby. I didn't either. OR a dryer for a long time. We didn't havea weedeater either, they weren't invented yet. Ever do all the edging around the house, fences, etc. with old HAND clippers, as a seven year old?

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
It's a good idea to buy a house in the right market. You can make money off of it especially if it's in a good location. Jackson's leadership is pretty pathetic but it appears that some people won't say that to avoid a label. I like dryers. I suspect you haven't spent much time in Europe. You just provided an anecdote as evidence.

"The homeownership rate for households aged less than 35 decreased to 38.5% in the second quarter of 2023." Wow. That second quarter. If you can find a quarter to support an argument then you don't belong on a message board.
"The U.S. homeownership rate in 2022 was even higher than before the COVID-19 pandemic — 65.8% compared to 64.6% in 2019 — a rebound driven largely by those age 44 and younger"

But how about that third quarter: "The homeownership rate among Americans under 35 years was 39 percent slightly increased in the third quarter of 2022. About 39 percent of the people in this age group owned a home during this period."

Next
It's a great idea to buy a house. And that's the issue. Most cannot today. We are millions of houses short in the USA because we stopped building them after 2008. and the generation coming of age now to buy them cannot afford to buy them.

That means the number of people under 35 total. not just that quarter. That quarter the number went down to 38.5% as in there are fewer now than before....

God what is the deal with dryers. I know they don't have them. My grandparents didn't either. They have tiny refrigerators too. But

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's getting good now. They're fighting...

Delete Old Man GIF

VS

Avocado Toast Cooking GIF by Al Boardman

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Have you ever seen one that hasn't been updated at all? I mean NO tech or gadgets since then. I grew up in one, but my folks were early adopters since they were a TWO income family. They could afford it. I was in plenty of them though. I had relatives, OLD relatives, that never had an air conditioner, or a TV and they lived into the 80s.
I have. I spent summers in one that only had one window ac, and it was not in the bedroom i slept in.

But the example is cheap small houses. This one the first one I saw that was habitable.

You are a smart guy. I'm trying to show you that those small cheap houses are not around anymore.

They all got bought by investment groups and are being rented out. https://www.tpr.org/business/2022-0...early-a-third-of-all-homes-in-texas-last-year

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm glad. Now from on, when i talk about the rich, know it's not about you.
Grandpa is comfortable. I mean, very comfortable. I wonder if anyone will ever raise taxes on the very comfortable so that in the second quarter of 2024 homeownership for the not very comfortable under age 35 might....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I have. I spent summers in one that only had one window ac, and it was not in the bedroom i slept in.

But the example is cheap small houses. This one the first one I saw that was habitable.

You are a smart guy. I'm trying to show you that those small cheap houses are not around anymore.

They all got bought by investment groups and are being rented out. https://www.tpr.org/business/2022-0...early-a-third-of-all-homes-in-texas-last-year
WINDOW AC? You just raised the standards, BY A LOT.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Yes you can. You have no idea what the standards were, you obviously have no clue.
OK.. Not in Texas.

I'm sure if I wanted to live in Noxubee County I could buy a nice house. It would only be a 12 hour commute....

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
What are the good jobs in jackson?

Median income there is 23,714 USD

Can I get one of those GS-15's in Jackson?
Go geta job as a plumber and work your way up. You will end up making MORE than that GS-15.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Grandpa is comfortable. I mean, very comfortable. I wonder if anyone will ever raise taxes on the very comfortable so that in the second quarter of 2024 homeownership for the not very comfortable under age 35 might....
why are you grandpa? you should switch to your readers

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Go geta job as a plumber and work your way up. You will end up making MORE than that GS-15.
I'm making more than that now....

and why a plumber? Is there a shortage of plumbers in noxubee county?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I'm making more than that now....

and why a plumber? Is there a shortage of plumbers in noxubee county?
In case you haven't noticed, there is a shortage of plumbers everywhere. You really are clueless. If you played your cards well in that industry, you could work your way into more money than you are making now, unless you are Warren Buffet, Musk, Gates, or Bezos.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Yes you can. You have no idea what the standards were, you obviously have no clue.
and you don't know what houses cost in the usa
Median home price nationwide is $350,000
Annual wages of more than $75,000 are needed to pay for major costs on the median-priced home in 2023

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
In case you haven't noticed, there is a shortage of plumbers everywhere. You really are clueless. If you played your cards well in that industry, you could work your way into more money than you are making now, unless you are Warren Buffet, Musk, Gates, or Bezos.

I have not noticed.

But if everyone that cannot afford a house moves to noxubee county or south jackson and became plumbers, then we could be as well off as the Boomers grew up.

got it. That's completely a rational argument on how housing is affordable in the usa. All we have to do is move the 43 million people there that cannot afford houses and are renting. I'm sure that will work great...

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Or we could raise the taxes on the rich so that they use the profit for more business expenses ( like payroll) rather than getting an extra billion.

Then we might get back to where people more than 38% of the young generation could afford to buy houses

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Alright, I am jumping in now.

For the last couple of years I have noticed all of the talk from people about sending their kids into the trades because there is so much money to be made. Well, it's not different than any other industry. The average plumber doesn't make a huge living. They make a decent living. Now a good plumber, that builds a business can make some great money. Same with HVAC. Or roofing. Or framing. But so can a barber, a bartender, a dude with a hot dog cart, or a 17ing dog walker.

I worked in and around the trades for a long time. I met a lot more broke 17ing plumbers, electricians, and framers than I ever did successful ones bringing in $150,000 a year. My guess is those financially successful plumbers out there would have kicked äss at any other field they ventured into as well.

The amount of plumbers in the world that ever make it to GS-15 pay are probably in the same spot of the bell curve as high school football players that get a D1 Scholarship. The odds of being a good plumber and business operator are pretty damn low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login