Opinion - hire Novak and not waste $$ on a search or an inflated salary...

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
If he can recruit at all, you have to hire him at this point.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Wasn’t Johnnie the one that did all the recruiting for Vic?
My point being that Vic was the coach and he had people u dear him for recruiting and support.
Novak seems to have done a great job so far and I’d be happy with him to stay if he can continue to make us competitive. Hell, he may not want to stick around and only took the job because he’s just a good guy like that and figured why not?

patdog

May 28, 2007
A proper search for the best candidate doesn't cost much. Novak may be the best option, but it's just lazy to not even look for better options. Larry Templeton would be proud of your vision and ambition though.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Pat, you make it sound so simple but if anyone has ever proven it ain't....it's us.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It ain’t Cohen though. He could have made Henderson the head coach after what he did as interim after Cannizaro.

But he didn’t. And based on past history, Cohen will look & go outside.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Cohen ? We've 17ed up hires in all sports since the 1800's. LOL

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Counterpoint: The more effort our brass puts into a search, the worse the results will be.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Counterpoint: LT Approves of this message.

LT wasn't an idiot because he saved money where it was smart to save money. He was an idiot because he "saved" money where it cost us a lot of money.

I'd prefer us to win rather than lose when we do anything, but outside of football, men's basketball, and baseball, everything is a net drain on the university unless they are national championship caliber. Spend as little as necessary to field a team and be Title IX compliant, and if we luck up and get a coach that somehow creates a national championship caliber program out of that, give him or her the resources to continue it.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Counterpoint—
Fans being involved in coaching changes at Mississippi State is always successful. **
—Allyn McKeen

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Cohen does have a national championship hire to his credit so he gets consideration.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
Do a search, but go with Novak unless we catch a big fish.

Unless we're going to throw money at an established top 20 head coach, I'm on board with Novak (assuming he wants it and has a plan for recruiting). I don't want to roll the dice with a completely unproven coach at this level again, and Novak has proved he is a good to very good Xs and Os guy. We have put a respectable team out there with no bigs, and with our star quitting.

WBB isn't appointment viewing any more, but I still watch some of the games. If we can find a way to pick up steam, the fans will flock back.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
A proper search for the best candidate doesn't cost much. Novak may be the best option, but it's just lazy to not even look for better options. Larry Templeton would be proud of your vision and ambition though.

Yea, problem is we won't recognize a worse or better option when we see them. Moorhead and NMP have shown that we don't have a clue when we hire the "best option" what in the heck we are getting. At least we have a liitle bit to go on with Novak on the coaching side yet its true we have nearly nothing to go with the recruiting side.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think you at least put a feeler out for Joni Taylor. I don't think she'd come here without us severely overpaying though.

If she turns you down, roll with Novak (assuming he wants the job).

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Unless we're going to throw money at an established top 20 head coach, I'm on board with Novak (assuming he wants it and has a plan for recruiting). I don't want to roll the dice with a completely unproven coach at this level again, and Novak has proved he is a good to very good Xs and Os guy. We have put a respectable team out there with no bigs, and with our star quitting.

WBB isn't appointment viewing any more, but I still watch some of the games. If we can find a way to pick up steam, the fans will flock back.

I completely agree with this; coach Novak is a great floor coach and the players love playing for him and respect them. IF he can recruit, it's a no-brainer. If Cohen brings in another outside coach, I would predict multiple transfers out of the program leaving the cupboard absolutely bare. But Cohen is absolutely capable of screwing up a one car funeral, so nothing would surprise me. Another point - we need at least one team, other than baseball, that puts butts in the seats. Vic did that; unfortunately, Howland does not and that is unlikely to change. Getting competitive again in women's BB will bring back some of those butts. Again, IF coach Novak can recruit, and IF he wants the job, I say give him a shot. After all, how could it get any worse than Cohen's last outside hire?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You got to open it up for 1 reason. It's like men say about women, no matter how damn good looking they are, somebody somewhere is tired of their ****. You never know when there's a good coach out there that's grown tired of where they are now no matter how damn good the situation looks. If nobody bites, hire Novak and see what he can do. But if there is a proven winner out there that wants to come here lets talk to them, unless its Dawn Staley at which point I would rather shut down the program

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You got to open it up for 1 reason. It's like men say about women, no matter how damn good looking they are, somebody somewhere is tired of their ****. You never know when there's a good coach out there that's grown tired of where they are now no matter how damn good the situation looks. If nobody bites, hire Novak and see what he can do. But if there is a proven winner out there that wants to come here lets talk to them, unless its Dawn Staley at which point I would rather shut down the program

I agree with the first part, but damn man, why wouldn't you take Dawn Staley?

I'm not a big fan of hers either, but she took a nothing program and turned it into a national powerhouse.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
People getting in their feelings over a win vs a team that is in last place in the SEC. He's got to beat good teams to get the job because he has no recruiting track record. There's at least two good names already associated with the job too.
He's going to need to win some big games.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
I think we already know who might be interested in the job. If a candidate isn't on that list, you call them and ask if there is a chance they might be interested in the job for $------.00 a year with some added incentives to win . If they say "yes" then add them to the list. After you get the list, choose one and negotiate with them. I could run the search and I would for $1000.00 payable in advance.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I agree with the first part, but damn man, why wouldn't you take Dawn Staley?

I'm not a big fan of hers either, but she took a nothing program and turned it into a national powerhouse.

Agree.

If Staley was willing to be our coach, then I'd hire her in a heartbeat.

I'd also hire Nick Saban as our football coach.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Is this his first year ever coaching women's bb? He was men's coach at Bethel.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
It’s a long shot, but you at least have to kick the tires with Matthew Mitchell, too. Louisville, MS native, MSU Grad and 2 time SEC Coach of the Year.

Unlikely, as it seems he’s moved on and is all Kentucky in retirement, but money makes people think. I’m sure we’ve already at least tried with him. But try again.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It depends:

What's the budget for the coaching search?
What's the salary differential between hiring internally vs. national search?
Was Novak part of the long term plan for WBB at MSU? Or did he have his sights set elsewhere?
Is MSU satisfied with where WBB is positioned? Or is there a desire to return to the Vic days?
Is there a new basketball arena is MSU's future?

I'm guessing we'll look outside, want WBB be comeptitive -- and not embarassing, and a desire to save money. MSU has its Natty and fans are content with the relief of having one.

MSU should think bigger, but it won't.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
In the words of Aerosmith: "Dream on"
Yeah, nobody is saying Staley is on the table. This was a response to the peeper saying he'd rather shut down the program than hire Dawn Staley.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
If we're concerned about the dollar amount it would cost to conduct a reasonable and impartial coaching search for women's basketball we need to vacate the business of collegiate athletics. Sheesh.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
People getting in their feelings over a win vs a team that is in last place in the SEC. He's got to beat good teams to get the job because he has no recruiting track record. There's at least two good names already associated with the job too.
He's going to need to win some big games.

Problem with this narrative is that we can't match any of the really talented teams with such a depleted roster. And, you can't coach height and we have a terrible dearth of that at present. But I agree, we need to see what our team can do against a top tier team. I will throw in that we had a heck of a second half run against UGA.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If we're concerned about the dollar amount it would cost to conduct a reasonable and impartial coaching search for women's basketball we need to vacate the business of collegiate athletics. Sheesh.

In a way, I want to hire Sue Bird just to witness the incredible glorious meltdown on Twitter and on this board when she kisses Megan Rapinoe after a big win.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not so hot is in the tropics when compared to the Frozen Tundra of MSU Athletics hires.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login