OT: A Tater Challenger Appears

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t think Tater Tot is going to be all shook up about a Presley candidacy…
Brandon is a POS. But I wouldn’t underestimate him. He can’t win without tater shooting himself in the foot, but he is going to appeal to a lot of voters and make it close enough that Tater will have to be on his toes.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

TilloDawg II

Dec 13, 2022
My coworker was the county republican party chairman 4-5 years ago and Presley had no opponent that year....so my friend jumps in to have a name on the ballot. He spent 300 bucks on his campaign and got almost 40% of the vote.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Presley said he is going to lower taxes.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know Presley, he’s a good guy.
Politics, in a nutshell.
Yup. Presley is a good retail politician. If it was 1993 instead of 2023, he’d probably make it to a statewide office. guess at the time it wasn’t obvious he was more or less dooming his statewide chances when he was building his brand in his early years with the public service commission. plenty of politicians with his ideology flipped to republican to try to preserve their future options, but he failed to see the writing in the wall.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Was hoping this thread would was about a newly discovered tuber or other starchy vegetable, cause it ain’t jicama or rutabaga.

Taters have no challengers. They are the undisputed, undefeated champyons of the underground veggie/rooty/tubery type world (Alliums are a different weight class).

There are acceptable substitutes in a pinch and they can be quite delicious, but taters are the standard always.

Now gov tater, he kinda sucks, like the vast majority of political types.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This. As we see in other posts in this thread, it's not even about the politics or policies for a lot of folks. It's identity, almost something akin to religion or extreme sports fandom.

What posts are those? The only poster really saying anything about policies says he can't support Presley even though he likes him because of the policies he would push. That seems eminently reasonable. Especially when he is likely to have a competent candidate that does push policies he supports.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What posts are those? The only poster really saying anything about policies says he can't support Presley even though he likes him because of the policies he would push. That seems eminently reasonable. Especially when he is likely to have a competent candidate that does push policies he supports.
1673620781359.png

Reactions: vandaldawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Exactly, I casually know the guy but he did get me internet service. The fact that he is a Democrat leads me to believe that I would not support his agenda. Even if he was actually a conservative Democrat, if such thing existed, the deals and promises he would have to make as a Democrat would push him so far to the left that I couldn’t support him. I don’t expect him to realistically challenge Tater Tot even though I think Tater is a moron. I’m at the point that I’d rather have a politician do nothing rather than do bad bad things. I’m way beyond expecting a politician do good things.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Taters have no challengers. They are the undisputed, undefeated champyons of the underground veggie/rooty/tubery type world
You’d do well up here.

My kids make potato play dough at school, we just watched the potato drop for new years, the potato bowl was right before that, my Uber driver from the airport a few weeks before Christmas apparently used to work for the potato commission driving a big *** potato behind a semi around the country, and we have a potato hotel…. But in one of the great missed opportunities of irony, Mississippi has a governor named Tater and our guy’s name is Brad.

Reactions: She Mate Me

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Exactly, I casually know the guy but he did get me internet service. The fact that he is a Democrat leads me to believe that I would not support his agenda. Even if he was actually a conservative Democrat, if such thing existed, the deals and promises he would have to make as a Democrat would push him so far to the left that I couldn’t support him. I don’t expect him to realistically challenge Tater Tot even though I think Tater is a moron. I’m at the point that I’d rather have a politician do nothing rather than do bad bad things. I’m way beyond expecting a politician do good things.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, Brandon is an *** hole to anybody he thinks he has power over. I have pretty low expectations for politicians. I'm not asking them to not be corrupt. You can be corrupt and still generally make things better for people. But I have zero patience for people that are abusive just because they have a position with some power, particularly in the regulatory or law enforcement areas. Same reason I will never support Shad. If they think an individual can't hurt their political prospects, they are not concerned about how they treat them at all or whether they are being fair with the power they have. I'm not even asking to not abuse the power with respect to political fights. Fight certain appropriations just because the representative from the district it would go didn't support you on something. Whatever. I just would like them to pass the extremely low bar of not abusing their power/position in their treatment of individuals. Presley can't even pass that extremely low bar, so 17 em.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I don't think he can win, but if the state republicans don't get healthcare and the hospital situation fixed, then Presley will have a fighting shot. Tate has the feds breathing down his neck with the hospital debacle already....if he lets this turn into a circus, its going to be a bad, bad look for him

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Again, how is that showing anything you're talking about? Are you referring to the fact that the political landscape in Mississippi has changed over the past 20 years? Or that politicians are often unprincipled and pick their positions based on electoral impacts and not any deeply held beliefs? That's a little different from people not caring about policies. If anything, it indicates that voters care enough about policies that they are fine with a politician that doesn't share their values, as long as they actually vote as if they do.

I mean, I'm pretty skeptical of voters and think the only reason our elections are not more disastrous than they are is because most voters are randomly idiotic enough to cancel each other out, but there's nothing in this thread indicating anything you claimed.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think he can win, but if the state republicans don't get healthcare and the hospital situation fixed, then Presley will have a fighting shot. Tate has the feds breathing down his neck with the hospital debacle already....if he lets this turn into a circus, its going to be a bad, bad look for him
Yea, it's a **** sandwich either way, but I don't know why this is the issue they've decided to be doctrinaire on. Republicans lost that political fight and we're not accomplishing much by holding out at this point. There's no way to avoid the budget impact, but I can't believe we couldn't have figured out a way to make it less painful than the uncompensated care.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Well, if it makes you feel any better, Brandon is an *** hole to anybody he thinks he has power over. I have pretty low expectations for politicians. I'm not asking them to not be corrupt. You can be corrupt and still generally make things better for people. But I have zero patience for people that are abusive just because they have a position with some power, particularly in the regulatory or law enforcement areas. Same reason I will never support Shad. If they think an individual can't hurt their political prospects, they are not concerned about how they treat them at all or whether they are being fair with the power they have. I'm not even asking to not abuse the power with respect to political fights. Fight certain appropriations just because the representative from the district it would go didn't support you on something. Whatever. I just would like them to pass the extremely low bar of not abusing their power/position in their treatment of individuals. Presley can't even pass that extremely low bar, so 17 em.

People like the dude you describe here are amongst a pretty small grouping of types of people I truly hate. If the SHTF, I'm finding them before they find me.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

patdog

May 28, 2007
If Jim Hood couldn't beat Tate Reeves, and Mike Espy couldn't beat Cindy Hyde Smith, no Democrat ever has any chance of winning a statewide election in Mississippi.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
Taters have no challengers. They are the undisputed, undefeated champyons of the underground veggie/rooty/tubery type world (Alliums are a different weight class).

There are acceptable substitutes in a pinch and they can be quite delicious, but taters are the standard always.

Now gov tater, he kinda sucks, like the vast majority of political types.
the lord of the rings sam GIF

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If Jim Hood couldn't beat Tate Reeves, and Mike Espy couldn't beat Cindy Hyde Smith, no Democrat ever has any chance of winning a statewide election in Mississippi.
Not without a change, true. Maybe Pressley is betting that a GOP crackup is finally coming, spurred by the House clownshow. Smart bet IMO.

Reactions: vandaldawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not without a change, true. Maybe Pressley is betting that a GOP crackup is finally coming, spurred by the House clownshow. Smart bet IMO.
I'm just not sure what that change would be. We have a lot of republican politicians in Mississippi that are basically big government democrats that are only "republican" to separate themselves from the insanity of the national democrat party. And we have a lot of voters that are the same way. I see them taking control (or at least having a lot more influence) over the republican party in the state being more likely than the democrat party becoming non-toxic enough for a democrat to win a state wide election in the next couple of cycles. I'd say right now our leadership is much further right than the actual voting populace, so that could happen pretty quickly.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login