OT: A Tater Challenger Appears

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I can’t name a single bad thing that he’s done. I also can’t name a single good thing that he’s done. All I know is that when I hear him talk I feel like he’s trying to sell me a used Plymouth that granny only drove to church on Sunday. Let’s just say he doesn’t exude confidence for me.
He’s handled himself pretty well through several big issues mentioned in a post above. COVID being the main one.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Pressley will not be endorsing them. He will be attacking them. Try again.
He literally retweeted Bennie’s tweet about supporting him in the gubernatorial race. He even called him a long-time friend.
please tell us all again how he’ll be attacking them.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
He literally retweeted Bennie’s tweet about supporting him in the gubernatorial race. He even called him a long-time friend.
please tell us all again how he’ll be attacking them.
Sorry, I didn't notice you said Bennie, I just saw Bernie and AOC. There's a bit of a difference. I agree, he will not be attacking Bennie, that would be political suicide.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

catvet

May 11, 2009
Pressley will not be endorsing them. He will be attacking them. Try again.

Then let me add he is going to get his *** split sideways by the Republican machine. We don't elect Democrats in Statewide or National positions unless it is gerrymandered like Rep. Thompson. Try again

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Which is why I said it would require a shift at the national level.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Reading comprehension fail. I said that that's what may happen over the next two years, not what has already happened. If you haven't noticed, Kevin McCarthy gave those nuts full power so that he could be Speaker. It will be 2 years of full on crazy. Buckle up.

Your next bits are full on brain rot courtesy of too much Fox News. Plenty of R DAs decide what they are going to prosecute, Jan 6th was real and hardly the first or last R riot, very few Dems actually support super "woke" crap unlike your assertions straight from Tucker Carlson. Republicans have moved massively to the right, not the left. Rs never believed in deficits, which was obvious from their budgeting actions when they were in power. Same with entitlements. And immigration. At least you've caught on with that last one.

We have a current example too: non-compete clauses.

Republicans have always, ALWAYS, been about class. Protecting and enriching the elite class and keeping down the rest. With a whole nut job bag of rationalizations to support those ends. That's why they hate welfare, it's why they want to cut taxes, it's why they want to suppress wages and labor.
Funny, most of the new elite is rabidly Democratic. One day you will get it boom.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
What are your thoughts on CNN?
Typical right-of-center MSM journalism, using "woke" language to cover right-wing economic coverage in service of their wealthy owners. They love centrist Dems and typical Republicans, despise anyone to the left or right of that window. Forced to actually criticize a Republican president due to Trump's ridiculousness, their masters are chomping at the bit to go back to the plan of minimizing anything negative about Republicans while overhyping any BS scandal about Dems. The Biden docs will be Hillarys emails all over again, they didn't learn a thing.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Can't do this with a 17ing radish.

I just can’t do the cauliflower substitute. Any of you saying cauliflower mashed potatoes, rice, or tots taste the same as the real thing are lying to yourselves. I wish I could fool my tastebuds that well.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Yea, it's a **** sandwich either way, but I don't know why this is the issue they've decided to be doctrinaire on. Republicans lost that political fight and we're not accomplishing much by holding out at this point. There's no way to avoid the budget impact, but I can't believe we couldn't have figured out a way to make it less painful than the uncompensated care.
at this point, its all political. The uncompensated care is only getting worse too with the inflation. There really is not other choice than to expand medicaid to save the hospitals. To Tater, its taking an L to your opponent.....

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I can’t name a single bad thing that he’s done. I also can’t name a single good thing that he’s done. All I know is that when I hear him talk I feel like he’s trying to sell me a used Plymouth that granny only drove to church on Sunday. Let’s just say he doesn’t exude confidence for me.
You really dont think his approach to Medicaid has been bad for the state?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This doesn't really matter anyway. The deadline to file is February 1.

Presley should have made his announcement last year if he wanted to be a serious candidate.

I'm not a Tater Tot fan because he's got the attitude of a fifth-rate pro wrasslin heel and the skills of a jobber.

And Presley ain't Steve Austin. He ain't Private Terry Daniels either.

Sep 15, 2009
I know Presley, he’s a good guy. He’s done a lot for the people of North Ms. If he had an R in parentheses behind his name I’d vote for him but I just don’t know if I can support the (D) and all that come with it.
Sounds like a very logical approach. "I don't think this guy should be re-elected, we need a good guy who does good things." Here's a good guy, and he's done good things. "Well, he doesn't have an R in parentheses behind his name." With logic like that, I can't figure out why Mississippi is dead last in everything.******
The republican brand isn't diminished compared to the democrat brand. Certainly I think people in Mississippi are frustrated with republicans, but for whatever nuts are out there on the right, republicans aren't actually pushing any of the nuts ideas the way the democrats are. No examples of republican DAs just deciding they have wholesale discretion over what laws should be enforced, no widespread riots, no open advocacy for racial discrimination, no rules or legislation to eliminate single sex bathrooms or single sex sports. IF you look compared to 20 years ago, Republicans have moved left on basically every social issue, moderated on the war on drugs, kept the same position on taxes, stopped believing deficits mattered, given up reforming entitlements, have firmed up their support of the 2nd amendment, have become the pro speech party (not really by getting better on speech, but just not getting worse), have mostly stayed the same on criminal justice, have stayed the same on environmental concerns, become at least split on foreign interventionism, stayed mostly the same on immigration (which is vocally against it, but mostly don't actually try to stop it), have moved in a more protectionist direction (although this is sort of like foreign entanglements; the more protectionist crowd just has more clout now whereas the free market crowd did have more or less complete control despite not really having a strong majority within the party). Which of those positions do you think have diminished the republican party in the eyes of Mississippi voters in a way that would keep pace with what Democrats have done?
Jewish space lasers are being used to start wildfires in the U.S. End of conversation.

Reactions: The Maroon Pug
Sep 15, 2009
Was there some jewish space laser related bill authored? Or do you not necessarily read posts you respond to?
"The republican brand isn't diminished compared to the democrat brand."

If you don't think the Republican brand is diminished more than the democrat's brand, you live in a cave. The fact that you believe you can make that statement, and then try to narrowly limit it to "bills passed or authored" shows how ridiculous your post is. The general public isn't tracking bills authored (therefore it doesn't affect their brand) - but they do understand the insanity that is put in front of them daily on the "news" by the media wh!ore, bi-polar, uneducated crazies claiming to be Republicans. Just look at who Republicans are electing and what a total 17ing embarrassment they are to the party, and to the country. The Republican brand has taken a huge hit in the last decade, and its getting worse. If Republicans don't grow a spine and start weeding the crazies out the party, we will never win another national election. Now get back to your echo chamber, and keep believing that as long as you convince yourself the other side is worse, that your 'team' must be doing it right. Of course, we could always just keep alleging that every election we lose was "stolen." That's a great look, too.****

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
there's only one way to end the republican sesspool in mississippi: at least 150,000 people from new york, california, and a few other states will need to uproot and move there to save the state from itself and completely change the votin landscape.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
there's only one way to end the republican sesspool in mississippi: at least 150,000 people from new york, california, and a few other states will need to uproot and move there to save the state from itself and completely change the votin landscape.
Nah. Point I should have made earlier is, MS may be deeply red, but we ain't as crazy as some less red states are, like Florida or Arizona. We've rejected crazy anti-abortion initiatives, changed the flag, and have rejected crazy candidates in statewide primaries. If the GOP keeps moving right, MS isn't moving with it. A statewide race of a crazy vs a traditional conservative Dem would be tight.

Tater though is not a crazy, and is well positioned to hang onto his spot for a long while.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm staying out of the political part. But I'll be voting for TateR again. I think he's done a damn good job, especially during COVID. The business climate in this state has never been better. The only thing I disagreed initially on was Medicaid expansion, but I think that's a fence issue, can see benefits both ways.

MS is in good hands with TateR. No reason to change that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If this happens, it means the economy is very good in Mississippi. Which would mean that the Republican leaders had done a good job. And those people aren't moving here because it's a liberal haven, they would be moving for jobs or cheaper COL with less regulation.

So actually, the only way to end Republican rule in this state, is for Republicans to actually leave. I'm not sure of the demographics and political leanings of the brain drain.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
"The republican brand isn't diminished compared to the democrat brand."

If you don't think the Republican brand is diminished more than the democrat's brand, you live in a cave. The fact that you believe you can make that statement, and then try to narrowly limit it to "bills passed or authored" shows how ridiculous your post is. The general public isn't tracking bills authored (therefore it doesn't affect their brand) - but they do understand the insanity that is put in front of them daily on the "news" by the media wh!ore, bi-polar, uneducated crazies claiming to be Republicans. Just look at who Republicans are electing and what a total 17ing embarrassment they are to the party, and to the country. The Republican brand has taken a huge hit in the last decade, and its getting worse. If Republicans don't grow a spine and start weeding the crazies out the party, we will never win another national election. Now get back to your echo chamber, and keep believing that as long as you convince yourself the other side is worse, that your 'team' must be doing it right. Of course, we could always just keep alleging that every election we lose was "stolen." That's a great look, too.****
You should probably read more than one post on the thread. We are talking about Mississippi politics. Bias through cultural institutions still matters in Mississippi, but the media bias less.
There are kooks in congress. Even if the majority of people are gullible enough to be influenced by seeing clips from some random congressman, people in Mississippi see ten squad quotes or sheila Jackson lee quotes for every Marjorie green Taylor quote. And again, the even bigger difference is there aren’t any kooky policies that republicans are actually implementing.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If Republicans don't grow a spine and start weeding the crazies out the party, we will never win another national election. Now get back to your echo chamber, and keep believing that as long as you convince yourself the other side is worse, that your 'team' must be doing it right.
I happen to agree with this. The country HAS swung to the left, there's no denying that. The immediate future is more of a blue shade. And you can only change yourself, you can't change the left-wing idiots. So, in that vein, you have to stop playing to the right wing idiots during the campaigns, and cross over and grab the blue voters closest to you. The right-wing crazies will vote for you anyway, I mean do you honestly think they'll vote blue? They might go independent, and if they do, well, just accept the future. You may have to swing more left than you initially thought.

Stop legislating morality (abortion, etc.)
Stop judging social crap (LGBQT, etc.)
Stop the 'drain swamp' narrative and get practical

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
And again, the even bigger difference is there aren’t any kooky policies that republicans are actually implementing.
^hasn't heard of Ron DeSantis, Donald Trump, or the Supreme Court. Or 6 week abortion bans. or Stop the Steal recounts. Or dozens of other kooky things Rs have done of late.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I'm staying out of the political part. But I'll be voting for TateR again. I think he's done a damn good job, especially during COVID. The business climate in this state has never been better. The only thing I disagreed initially on was Medicaid expansion, but I think that's a fence issue, can see benefits both ways.

One thing I've tried to get people to accept for years: usually the best candidates make the worst office holders, and vice versa.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
^hasn't heard of Ron DeSantis, Donald Trump, or the Supreme Court. Or 6 week abortion bans. or Stop the Steal recounts. Or dozens of other kooky things Rs have done of late.
Further right than you is not the definition of kooky that most of the country uses. Ron Desantis is pretty mainstream. Donald Trump is not but as clownish as he may have been at times, he's got a track record as president. He didn't do anything crazy like decide he had the ability to make the border open or unilaterally dispose of hundreds of billions of gov't assets through loan forgiveness.

The Supreme Court actually thinking the don't have the right to legislate from the bench isn't kooky. It's not even a left or right issue. The left only thinks it is because they don't have the imagination to think about what a "living document" in the hands of rightwing partisan jurists would mean.

Election integrity, antiabortion, originalist jurists (along with low taxes and border security) have been pretty consistent themes on the right for thirty years now? The electorate is shifting to the left but that doesn't mean they are suddenly going to see those themes as kooky, especially when republicans have moved left with them on things like LGBQT issues and spending.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Further right than you is not the definition of kooky that most of the country uses. Ron Desantis is pretty mainstream. Donald Trump is not but as clownish as he may have been at times, he's got a track record as president. He didn't do anything crazy like decide he had the ability to make the border open or unilaterally dispose of hundreds of billions of gov't assets through loan forgiveness.

The Supreme Court actually thinking the don't have the right to legislate from the bench isn't kooky. It's not even a left or right issue. The left only thinks it is because they don't have the imagination to think about what a "living document" in the hands of rightwing partisan jurists would mean.

Election integrity, antiabortion, originalist jurists (along with low taxes and border security) have been pretty consistent themes on the right for thirty years now? The electorate is shifting to the left but that doesn't mean they are suddenly going to see those themes as kooky, especially when republicans have moved left with them on things like LGBQT issues and spending.
Ok, Ron and Donald and the SC havent done anything kooky. Suuuuuurrrrreeee.

Guess you also missed that the SC cons decided legislating from the bench was just fine now that they are the majority.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
Sorry, I didn't notice you said Bennie, I just saw Bernie and AOC. There's a bit of a difference. I agree, he will not be attacking Bennie, that would be political suicide.
Correct. He's a democrat. He needs Thompson to help turn out democrats. If he wins, that doesn't mean MS would be in for AOC style governance. AOC and Bernie are outliers in the democratic party like Boebert and Taylor Greene are for republicans.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012

If the business climate has never been better, why is their net out migration of people and the state lagging in job creation compared to other states?

How could the business climate be improved - or worsened in the next term? What policies need to be implemented?

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Correct. He's a democrat. He needs Thompson to help turn out democrats. If he wins, that doesn't mean MS would be in for AOC style governance. AOC and Bernie are outliers in the democratic party like Boebert and Taylor Greene are for republicans.
The Dem party probably has a number of people who run their mouths and act like "outliers" to appease their voters but in the end they all vote in lockstep. Every single time. That's why anyone with a D behind their name is not trusted in Mississippi and many other places.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Ok, Ron and Donald and the SC havent done anything kooky. Suuuuuurrrrreeee.

Guess you also missed that the SC cons decided legislating from the bench was just fine now that they are the majority.
Where do you think the supreme court has legislated from the bench recently? Please don't say anything stupid like recognizing that the us constitution doesn't address abortion is legislating.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
If the business climate has never been better, why is their net out migration of people and the state lagging in job creation compared to other states?

How could the business climate be improved - or worsened in the next term? What policies need to be implemented?
I can answer that because my son has told me why does not plan to move back to MS: Because we have hollowed out basic infrastructure, like health care and public education, so much compared the rest of the country that it makes no sense to move back to raise his family. Add to that, that he can make a significantly higher income most everywhere else and the amount of street crime we experience in our larger towns, and there really is little reason, other than to be near family and because "it's home," to move back here. I hate it, but I can't blame him.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I happen to agree with this. The country HAS swung to the left, there's no denying that. The immediate future is more of a blue shade. And you can only change yourself, you can't change the left-wing idiots. So, in that vein, you have to stop playing to the right wing idiots during the campaigns, and cross over and grab the blue voters closest to you. The right-wing crazies will vote for you anyway, I mean do you honestly think they'll vote blue? They might go independent, and if they do, well, just accept the future. You may have to swing more left than you initially thought.

Stop legislating morality (abortion, etc.)
Stop judging social crap (LGBQT, etc.)
Stop the 'drain swamp' narrative and get practical
I agree with most of this, but you still have to pander to the right wing crazies or else you get primaried. Same applies to left in left states.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm definitely not a Tater Tot fan, never have been and never will be. But, there's no way in hell I can vote for anyone aligning themself w/ Bennie Thompson or the Democratic legislators in MS, too many favors would be owed to that bunch of crooks.

When I think of "conservative" Democrats in my adult life of following MS politics Buddy Newman, Tim Ford, Billy McCoy and Steve Holland come to mind but no way I would have ever voted for any of those either if they had been from my district. I could agree to disagree w/ Steve Holland but wouldn't have ever been able to vote for him. The others, I couldn't even agree to disagree with, them especially Billy McCoy

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
There is a poll out today that has Presley within four points of Tater Tot. Y'all are underestimating just how deeply unpopular Reeves is. It's more about that than Presley.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
There is a poll out today that has Presley within four points of Tater Tot. Y'all are underestimating just how deeply unpopular Reeves is. It's more about that than Presley.
Here’s a link to a tweet about that poll:

I’d like to know how accurate their polls have been in the past. I’m tempted to say that Tater may be underestimated by at least five percent.

The main thing that should concern the Guv: Only 43 percent want to vote for him now and he has the advantage in people knowing him.

Familiarity Breeds Contempt in play here?

was21

May 29, 2007
Brandon is a POS. But I wouldn’t underestimate him. He can’t win without tater shooting himself in the foot, but he is going to appeal to a lot of voters and make it close enough that Tater will have to be on his toes.
Why did you type that he is a POS? Serious question.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login