OT: anyone have friends or family in western North Carolina that we can be praying for?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Every disaster has the area that seems to be forgotten, similar to how the Land Mass was in Katrina. That flooding is bad there, Biltmore underwater, and nobody seems to be talking about it.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
It wiped out the Augusta area for power. They have estimated by Saturday midnight. We evacuated to Columbia. Wife is going to run supplies to augusta tomorrow morning.

Would imagine cochise is in a similar predicament since he's in same area as we are.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Been following some guys flying copters in and out of Asheville. They’re flying in supplies and getting people out who need medical attention. All the towns and communities up and down the rivers are all isolated with no communication. There’s no telling how many people might be dead. Just total devastation.

Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 4.37.12 PM.jpeg

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Yes. Two classmates from Copiah Academy class of '88 and their families. One I've heard from and he is ok. The other hasn't been heard from. Both live in Ashville area.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
My brother lives there (Sylva) and narrowly avoided disaster. Water was 10" deep in the crawlspace under his house but did not reach the floor. He has power and water. Communication is a major problem though.

People two doors down weren't so lucky and had 3 feet of water in their living space.

It's a disaster for sure. I pity the Asheville folks.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I lived in Sylva from 2010-2018 met my wife living there. Then we were north of Boone until July when we moved the Upstate of SC right across the border. Stuck it out Friday night. Been in a hotel since Saturday. My job is closed until at least Thursday. My kids school is closed this entire week. My wife is currently working in a hotel room with our 80lbs dog, my 4 year old son, my 3 year old son, and me; how she can concentrate baffles me. Having said all of that, we were very lucky we had no damage to our house or property. Lots of our friends have lost everything. We were able to get out. We know multiple people and families that have had to be flown out by helicopter.

edit to add: this board has provided some much needed entertainment and levity when I've had enough service to get it to load.

Last edited:

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Blitz, Richmond Co shut water off Sunday, Columbia Co water still on. Airport recorded winds at 85 mph. Multiple deaths reported some from trees coming thru roofs Friday AM. Tree coming off my roof this morning. Went thru a hurricane on NC coast years ago and this is much worse than that. Ga Power says this is worst storm in their history in Ga. Not sure where you live but every street in our neighborhood and Hereford Farm Road blocked by downed trees Friday.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Blitz, Richmond Co shut water off Sunday, Columbia Co water still on. Airport recorded winds at 85 mph. Multiple deaths reported some from trees coming thru roofs Friday AM. Tree coming off my roof this morning. Went thru a hurricane on NC coast years ago and this is much worse than that. Ga Power says this is worst storm in their history in Ga. Not sure where you live but every street in our neighborhood and Hereford Farm Road blocked by downed trees Friday.
We are behind Riverwood publix. I went out first daylight Friday and started helping clear downed trees on our side of Riverwood so that we could get in and out. Went to the store, made sure nothing was going on there. Went the other way into Riverwood and cleared trees that way. Bigger machines showed up to clear a whole bunch and I went down Washington toward 20. Saw all the down powerlines. Went home and told wife she needed to pack and get the kids out.

It took 2 hours for her to get to 20 at that point, she was headed to alabama, turned around and came home. Saturday morning, I got up got packed, figured out that we could hit columbia easily. My car barely made Lexington for gas. Stations backed up, or non functional all the way to Lexington. First hotel we hit in Columbia was powerless. We toward Camden.

Wife going back with supplies this morning for friends, hopefully will be able to return easy enough. Doesn't look good though. People have lost their ever loving minds about lines and how traffic should flow.

They've told us Saturday for a return to power, but now I am hearing certain places getting lit up, tells me, we may have store lights tomorrow.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Every disaster has the area that seems to be forgotten, similar to how the Land Mass was in Katrina. That flooding is bad there, Biltmore underwater, and nobody seems to be talking about it.
Biltmore Village….not the Biltmore

I’d venture a guess that little talk about it is due to the fact that there is very little communications available with that area due to the amount of damage

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I think it is more a testament to how F’d up the consumers of media are. They cover initial hurricanes because people watch them. It’s like a disaster movie. Rain is boring. Yeah there is flooding, but there isn’t immediate visuals of houses being torn to shreds. If people watched, there would be more coverage. It’s the same reason people forgot about the land mass. New Orleans looked like some made up movie.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login