OT: Bucket List Concerts

Oct 17, 2023
I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd live in 77 in Savannah Georgia. Best live band ever. After them, there is no point in having seeing a band on your bucket list.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
The Joshua Tree was released when I was an undergrad at State so I’ve followed them casually for years.

U2 is a great arena act and I’m a bit jealous of my older friends who got to see them perform in smaller venues. Their 2016 show at the Superdome was amazing.

They also grate on people for many reasons: One being because of their extreme earnestness.

A lot of Americans think the earnestness is political. And it can be perceived that way since everything eventually is.

Quite a few folks also think the earnestness is religious… it makes sense since a lot of their lyrics go into faith but at the same time they keep religion at a distance.

Also, since they’re a success story and come from Ireland, the Irish love to pick at them too— it’s an Irish thing.

When they retire and/or die, they’ll be honored like many of the other great musicians from Ireland and the Dublin with a statue or statues.
It's important to be earnest.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I wish Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, and James Young could drop all hostilities and get back together for one last big tour to finish their era. Then Styx would certainly be inducted into the Rock Music Hall of Fame. They should be there. And I would be there for at least one of their tour dates.

Then I would without a doubt bring back Led Zepplin for a huge tour. They were the one band ahead of their time if there ever was one. The only hold out before was Robert Plant. Reportedly, he turned down a 100 million guarantee to rejoin the band for a big tour, so this probably won't happen.

And saving the best for last. I have heard rumblings that Rush may be considering finding a replacement for legendary drummer Neil Peart and putting together a huge tour. I would probably mortgage my house to get tickets for this one. Peart, Geddy Lee, and Alex Lifeson, IMO, were the 3 greatest individual musicians to ever pick up their respective instruments and play together.

One can only hope Jack!!
Lawrence Gowan has now been in Styx longer than DeYoung was. He's a great musician and there's nothing to complain about with his singing when he handles the DeYoung parts. Plus, he's less weird and not an ******* so if that is enough to keep Tommy and JY going then I'm all for it. Of all the senior citizen acts that are still touring today, Tommy's voice is still top notch. Hearing them live is still almost like listening to the studio version of the songs.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Lawrence Gowan has now been in Styx longer than DeYoung was. He's a great musician and there's nothing to complain about with his singing when he handles the DeYoung parts. Plus, he's less weird and not an ******* so if that is enough to keep Tommy and JY going then I'm all for it. Of all the senior citizen acts that are still touring today, Tommy's voice is still top notch. Hearing them live is still almost like listening to the studio version of the songs.
Dennis deYoung damn near killed that group with his Mr. Roboto bullshart and being such an overbearing arsehole. I always liked Tommy's and JY's songs better anyway, although Dennis did have some really good ones back in the 70s.

Reactions: RockyDog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd live in 77 in Savannah Georgia. Best live band ever. After them, there is no point in having seeing a band on your bucket list.
They are probably my all time favorite, but this irks me, just a money grab by record companies and some grandkids:

"Gary Rossington, the last original member of the band, died on March 5, 2023. All of the original members are now deceased. In April 2023, the band confirmed that they would continue to tour, despite Rossington's death. There had previously been agreements about how many pre-crash members had to be in the band in order for it to be active and "legal", but this appears to be no longer applicable since Rossington's death."

And if you really want to be disappointed try to listen to Dolly Parton's latest version of "Free Bird" that came out last Fall..........do it on an empty stomach though

• Angry
Reactions: Anon1697564126
Oct 17, 2023
They are probably my all time favorite, but this irks me, just a money grab by record companies and some grandkids:

"Gary Rossington, the last original member of the band, died on March 5, 2023. All of the original members are now deceased. In April 2023, the band confirmed that they would continue to tour, despite Rossington's death. There had previously been agreements about how many pre-crash members had to be in the band in order for it to be active and "legal", but this appears to be no longer applicable since Rossington's death."

And if you really want to be disappointed try to listen to Dolly Parton's latest version of "Free Bird" that came out last Fall..........do it on an empty stomach though
that is really bad. Sounds creepy and illegal too. Maybe when Paul and Ringo pass, we can start touring as The Beatles.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I was lucky enough to get mine last weekend. I got to see 3 of my top five favorite acts in one night... Not a festival either. Got nearly 5 hours of Turnpike Troubadours, Cody Jinks, and Trampled by Turtles... It was glorious.

If you could put 3 active acts together, who would it be?
I first read this as "bucket list concerns" and was worried you were having trouble remembering the safe word

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
that is really bad. Sounds creepy and illegal too. Maybe when Paul and Ringo pass, we can start touring as The Beatles.

Unless something has changed, Rossington and Ronnie Van Zant's widow were in control from a legal standpoint and they just kept moving the goalpost for what was required to keep the band touring. The money kept rolling in

To be fair, Ricky Medlocke was around in the early Skynyrd days and has been with them much longer than most of the original guys. He's a good musician/entertainer.

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
My parents saw them in St Louis last month. He said that Steely Dan didn’t play Peg or FM in their set list.
They played Peg.

They didn't play FM, Deacon Blues, or Do It Again. Maybe because Walter Becker is no longer with us.

They sounded good though. Their band was outstanding.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Kids, see your favorite artists before they're gone. Wish I had made an effort to see Jimmy Buffett.

On that note, Jeff Lynne just announced ELO's "final" tour today, including dates in Nashville and Atlanta. They sounded great in 2019 and I would expect the same now.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Kids, see your favorite artists before they're gone. Wish I had made an effort to see Jimmy Buffett.

On that note, Jeff Lynne just announced ELO's "final" tour today, including dates in Nashville and Atlanta. They sounded great in 2019 and I would expect the same now.

ELO music just seems to get cooler the older and nerdier I get.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Joe Bonamasa will be in Jackson this summer. I saw him at the Gulf Coast Coliseum and he put on one of the best concerts I've attended.
I've just recently started following him on YouTube and really like him. He's got some really good stuff w/ Beth Hart too, I'd never heard of her till I started following him but she's really good too.

Desert Dog

Oct 8, 2022
I saw Turnpike Troubadours, Jason Isbell and Charles Wesley Godwin together this year and that the best non music festival trifecta I’ve seen. The concert that didn’t happen that I hope will happen was Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers. We had tickets and it was cancelled due to covid.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
i saw them in 2008 at the Miller Lite Crawfish Boil in the Jackson Fairgrounds parking lot. was a few different groups. LL Cool J performed right before them. they had a confederate flag about 30 ft tall on the stage set. needless to say LL was not amused... he went off saying "i guess yall think this sh.t is funny". he called it the "funnel cake fair". he was going "wave your hands in the fair funnel cake fair". played a very short set , got in his lime and went to the airport and flew right back out after.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Caught Sturgill at Jazz Fest (2015???) when had that dynamite guitarist from Estonia. That was a great set and I was pretty close to the stage.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I once saw Barry Manilow in concert. And yes I'm still married to the same woman. It was actually not bad. Dude has a ton of hits and the high price of beer didn't keep me from stopping at 5 especially since I had a designated driver.

I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your man card. What's next, Engelbert Humperdink, Anne Murray, Yanni, Air Supply, Zamfir (the master of the pan flute who sold over 20 million records)? Just pulling your strings Podgy. We probably all have those types of concerts in our closet. You know, that would be a good thread unto itself.

Reactions: Podgy

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I caution you that if you are going to go see a band that’s well past it’s prime, don’t expect the show to be what it once was cracked up to be. I’ve seen a couple performers in the last few years that were about 15 or more years past their prime. I still had visions of the clips I had seen of their old concerts in my head. The performances I saw did not resemble those clips. I guess they were still enjoyable, but I had overhyped them in my head.
Saw ZZ Top with their new bassist who replaced Dusty Hill. They actually sounded better than they have the last few times I've heard them. Dusty can never be replaced, but the new guy whose beard looks fake, but isn't, does a pretty good job.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Luckily I've seen most of the bands I've wanted to see at some point in time but there's a couple I always seemed to have missed. For me it's AC/DC and Ozzy. Probably never get to see Ozzy due to his health but AC/DC will tour Europe this summer so there's hope that might extend over to a US tour. I sure hope so. And eventhough I've seen them numerous times I would like to see Steve Perry reunite with Journey but that's not going to happen. Led Zep would be a pipe dream.
AC/DC would be a good one.....I assume they must have found a replacement for Angus's guitarist brother. Malcom. Angus himself is getting up in years and looks like he could barely hold his epic black Gibson SG. I guess if the Stones can keep going, then so can Angus & Brian.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Active? That's tricky since most of my favorites are no longer.

QOTSA (w Dave Grohl on drums), Rush (w Danny Carey on drums), and Infant Annihilator. If you know anything about IA, you would know that it's truly rare to see them LIVE. If you want some easy listening drumming, check them out: HERE

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bucket list you say? Well, you got to put Buckethead on it then. Seriously, he's a very weird dude, but a great guitarist.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I'm jealous.....Huge Skynyrd fan here......Going to see them (or what's left of them) and ZZ Top Saturday night in Southaven. I'm guessing this is probably my 9th or 10th time to see them since the comeback tour in the early 80's......Original lineup or not but Johnnie Van Zant does a hell'uva job...........

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I think I've knocked out most of my attainable bucket list shows.

I've seen the Pumpkins multiple times, both pre and post breakup. Love or hate Billy, they rock pretty hard.

Finally got to see Radiohead a few years back. Probably won't get another chance.

Got to see Roger Waters, though I think he's a douche and would prefer to see Gilmour.

Black Keys, Modest Mouse and Pearl Jam are all great shows.

Tool was my last concert, right before covid shutdowns. Would highly recommend.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Jeff Lynn's ELO will be one off my list that I should have already seen. Saw the Eagles before Glenn Frey passed thank goodness. I too wish Tommy would get his head out of his *** and do one last tour with Dennis DeYoung and then maybe I could stomach the current lineup. Glad I got to see Rush a couple of times in the early to mid 80's. May go see Plant and Krauss just for the chance Plant does a couple of Zep tunes.
My biggest regret was selling my tickets to Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour.

Reactions: Chesusdog

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Dream concert? First two are easy, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin. The third pick would be tough. Rush would certainly be in the conversation. Eric Clapton either solo or with Cream. Stevie Ray Vaughan. The original lineup of Lynard Skynard. The third choice would be tough.
What would you consider to be the original lineup?
LS.jpg

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your man card. What's next, Engelbert Humperdink, Anne Murray, Yanni, Air Supply, Zamfir (the master of the pan flute who sold over 20 million records)? Just pulling your strings Podgy. We probably all have those types of concerts in our closet. You know, that would be a good thread unto itself.

Hey now. Was going to say let's back off Podgy here a bit. I bought front row tickets to Manilow about 10 years ago. Nothing to do with manhood, just an appreciation of talent and fine music. ;)

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Saw ZZ Top with their new bassist who replaced Dusty Hill. They actually sounded better than they have the last few times I've heard them. Dusty can never be replaced, but the new guy whose beard looks fake, but isn't, does a pretty good job.
I saw ZZ top in the Orpheum in Memphis last fall. Their new bassist did sound good and is trying to grow the beard. It's hard to replace Dusty but they were still very good.

Oct 17, 2023
I'm jealous.....Huge Skynyrd fan here......Going to see them (or what's left of them) and ZZ Top Saturday night in Southaven. I'm guessing this is probably my 9th or 10th time to see them since the comeback tour in the early 80's......Original lineup or not but Johnnie Van Zant does a hell'uva job...........
Sadly, there's nothing left of them. While Johnnie is a good singer, there are no Skynyrd members in that cover band that is there now.

My very cool uncle took me for a birthday present when I was a 7th grader. On the way, there he must have told me 30 times, "you are going to see things there, that we can't tell your mother about."

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Sadly, there's nothing left of them. While Johnnie is a good singer, there are no Skynyrd members in that cover band that is there now.

My very cool uncle took me for a birthday present when I was a 7th grader. On the way, there he must have told me 30 times, "you are going to see things there, that we can't tell your mother about."
Rickey Medlocke is there and between him and Johnnie, well that's good enough for me. Medlocke has never gotten his due as a great guitarists, at least IMO.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login