OT: Bye Week Jukebox

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Concert was fantastic (and screen show behind the band). I'm pretty convinced that this is the best rock band on the planet right now. Non stop 3 hour show with high energy. If you aren't familiar with KG, their discography is super diverse (more than Ween), so you won't like it all.
Thanks for the follow up. I had 2 different friends kind of say the same thing. They are coming my way in November so I'm going to do my best to make it.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks for the follow up. I had 2 different friends kind of say the same thing. They are coming my way in November so I'm going to do my best to make it.
Where are you again? I know they were hitting New Orleans and Cali. Knowing maybe a little about your musical taste, I would recommend starting with the following albums: Quarters, Float Along, Paper Mache Balloon, and the three microtonal albums - Flying Microtonal Banana, KG, and LW.

Reactions: ODShowtime

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Where are you again? I know they were hitting New Orleans and Cali. Knowing maybe a little about your musical taste, I would recommend starting with the following albums: Quarters, Float Along, Paper Mache Balloon, and the three microtonal albums - Flying Microtonal Banana, KG, and LW.
St. Aug. They come down here on 11/20. We have a great little Amphitheater here that holds just under 4k. I have Goose lined up for 11/1 and 11/2 as I have yet to catch them live. I was in NOLA and SD for years, but I migrated east.

Reactions: Grant Green

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Monday (9/16) is the birthday of Betty Kelly. She was a a member of the Velvelettes, which over time (and without her) became Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. When Annette Beard left the group (1964), she was replaced by Betty Kelly. To celebrate:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Tuesday (9/17) is the birthday of Tramar Dillard. He's more commonly known by his stage name, Flo Rida. To celebrate:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Wednesday (9/18) is the birthday of Francis Avallone. He was born in Philadelphia, and is more commonly known by his stage name, Frankie Avalon. To celebrate:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Wednesday (9/18) is the birthday of Kerry Livgren. He was a founding member, and the primary songwriter, of Kansas. To celebrate:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Wednesday (9/18) is the birthday of Joanne Catherall. She has one of the crazier stories of joining a band. The original Human League had lost half its members due to a nasty split-up, but had a tour scheduled and was in debt to its record company. So Philip Oakey went to a club in Sheffield to try to find a female backup singer for the band, and was struck by Joanne Catherall and Susan Ann Sulley while they danced together. While neither of them had ever sung professionally, and were both still in high school, he convinced them (and their parents) to join the band as dancers and incidental singers. By the end of the tour, they were full-time members of the band, and went on to be more than incidental vocalists. To celebrate:

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Thursday (9/19) is the birthday of Bill Medley. Most of his notoriety was as a singer and songwriter of The Righteous Brothers. But he's probably most known for his duet with Jennifer Warnes. To celebrate:

• Love
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Thursday (9/19) was the birthday of the late, great, Cass Elliot. She was affectionately known as Mama Cass, as a member of the Mamas & the Papas. To celebrate:

Reactions: bbrown

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Thursday (9/19) is the birthday of Nile Rodgers. He was a co-founder of Chic, as well as a music producer for many stars. To celebrate:

Reactions: bbrown