OT - Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Wife is a nurse that tested positive last Thursday. It hit me hard Saturday night and I am still trying to shake it off. I am glad that I quit smoking. I didn’t take the new vaccine and I wish I had.
I think the new strain is a little tougher than the past few.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
My Dr a couple of months ago didn't recommend the latest vaccine even tho I'm a geezer. He said the latest strain was not that bad but things could have changed since then. I've had all the other Covid shots through '22. I have a green glow in the dark as it is......

Reactions: garddog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Here is your resident Pulmonologist‘s opinion of the current COVID vaccine. If you meet the recommendations (age, underlying conditions), get it. We can still be friends if you don’t. I had my parents get it. Covid is not anywhere close to as bad as it was during the initial runs (especially the F’n Delta strain), but we are still seeing people get pretty sick from it occasionally. I have a few in the hospital with it right now. It is more like the flu now. It has become much more of an upper respiratory infection than a lower respiratory tract infection (think pneumonia).

Also get the RSV vaccine, we are seeing TONS of that. I put so many people in the hospital with it last year.

Also, the “bravo, sir” above was when i thought you were trolling with the covid vaccine title. I am not cheering your covid infection. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Just had it three weeks ago for second time. Always after a work trip. Didn't get a new booster. Sore throat head ache. Never a fever. I was thinking strep. Wife got it was pretty sick for about 4 days. But is now 100 percent. Booster both gave us weird symptoms so we both said we wouldn't do it again.

hope you get to feeling better quickly. That paxlovid crap sucks too. I couldn't take it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Here is your resident Pulmonologist‘s opinion of the current COVID vaccine. If you meet the recommendations (age, underlying conditions), get it. We can still be friends if you don’t. I had my parents get it. Covid is not anywhere close to as bad as it was during the initial runs (especially the F’n Delta strain), but we are still seeing people get pretty sick from it occasionally. I have a few in the hospital with it right now. It is more like the flu now. It has become much more of an upper respiratory infection than a lower respiratory tract infection (think pneumonia).

Also get the RSV vaccine, we are seeing TONS of that. I put so many people in the hospital with it last year.

Also, the “bravo, sir” above was when i thought you were trolling with the covid vaccine title. I am not cheering your covid infection. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
I didn’t take it the wrong way. I don’t align with anti-vaccers. I just caught it before I got the vaccine.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Here is your resident Pulmonologist‘s opinion of the current COVID vaccine. If you meet the recommendations (age, underlying conditions), get it.
Don't they recommend the vaccine for humans six months and older? Wouldn't that be most people reading this message board?

And you are recommending the current vaccine. What about the vaccine that was pushed in 2021?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Sorry, but I'm not going to take advice from anyone claiming to be a doctor if they don't link their youtube channel or facebook page.**

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
My 76 year old 2 pack a day current -smoker unvaccinated mom got the Covid about 8 days ago. She felt bad for about 3 days but now is over it.
My 77 year old dad took the first vaccine shot the first week of August 2021. He had a cardiac event and died before he was able to take 2nd dose. He had COPD so that is why he took it.
I took the first 2 doses and had no side effects. Got the booster and had the worst leg cramps I have ever had in my life a day or two later. Also have had Covid twice since the booster that I know of.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Don't they recommend the vaccine for humans six months and older? Wouldn't that be most people reading this message board?And you are recommending the current vaccine. What about the vaccine that was pushed in 2021?
You are right. Let me rephrase that if you have risk factors that would make you susceptible to getting very sick from Covid, including age and pre-existing conditions. Then I recommend it. Back in 2021, I saw more deaths than I can put into words. I recommended the vaccine for everyone then. I’m not pushing it on anyone

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

Glad to have a pulmonologist on here for utterly reasonable takes. I have a pulmonologist buddy who I thought was getting PTSD after Covid initially hit because he lost about 30 patients in the first month or so. They were all elderly and not in the best health, but it still hit him hard especially because he put many on vents, something that didn't go well.

Anyway, my wife and daughter just had it and were sick for a couple of days, it hits hard like the flu, but they got better by day 4. I had omicron some time ago which levelled me for a few days, initial brutal dry cough but I got the good stuff with codein for that, and left me tired for some time and I was vaxxed and boosted (on the advice of my pulmonologist buddy).

And get well soon IBMD

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Get well soon
I had it 2022 and it kicked my butt. I was training for a big hike in the tetons and it set me back a solid month. It was like a bad flu that lingered much longer. I still know people who get it w little symptoms but it hurt me.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
I have gotten it twice in the last three months. The first go round was more like the original omicron. Not much worse than a normal cold. The second one had to have been the new strain because it kicked my butt. I also lost my sense of smell for a week.

I'll probably get the updated booster in a month. My natural immunity apparently isn't worth squat.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Never had Covid that I know of. Never been tested for Covid. Don’t take the flu shot, took it only once in my life. Had the flu maybe twice in my life. Haven’t taken any other vaccines since being a child. I’m older than middle aged and work in a public setting, and never wore a mask.
From my personal observation, it looks like most everyone getting covid or that keeps getting covid, have gotten the vaccine or vaccines. I don’t know, it just looks that way to me. And on the other side, I’ve met a lot of people like me.

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Never had Covid that I know of. Never been tested for Covid. Don’t take the flu shot, took it only once in my life. Had the flu maybe twice in my life. Haven’t taken any other vaccines since being a child. I’m older than middle aged and work in a public setting, and never wore a mask.
From my personal observation, it looks like most everyone getting vivid or that keeps getting covid, have gotten the vaccine. I don’t know just looks that way to me. And on the other side, I’ve met a lot of people like me.
The flu vaccine and Covid Vaccine are not meant to prevent someone from getting the disease. They are meant to arm their immune system to keep the disease from getting severe. I’m glad you have had such good luck with not catching COVID and hope it continues for you. I wish all of us could be that lucky.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Glad to have a pulmonologist on here for utterly reasonable takes. I have a pulmonologist buddy who I thought was getting PTSD after Covid initially hit because he lost about 30 patients in the first month or so. They were all elderly and not in the best health, but it still hit him hard especially because he put many on vents, something that didn't go well.

Anyway, my wife and daughter just had it and were sick for a couple of days, it hits hard like the flu, but they got better by day 4. I had omicron some time ago which levelled me for a few days, initial brutal dry cough but I got the good stuff with codein for that, and left me tired for some time and I was vaxxed and boosted (on the advice of my pulmonologist buddy).

And get well soon IBMD
The PTSD is real.

Reactions: vandaldawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I took my flu shot today. I’m considering getting the shingles vaccine, 58 years old. I’m conflicted about the Covid vaccine, I took the initial JandJ which soon was taken off the market and later had a booster of the Moderna. To my knowledge I haven’t had Covid, I had a prolonged respiratory cold and was tested multiple times but always tested negative. I’ve never been tested for antibodies. Wife has had it and I’ve been exposed multiple times.

yelchevelle

Apr 30, 2014
I am 41, wife 36, 6 yo, and 21 month old. As far as I know, none of us have had it. Wife has been tested probably 10 times and always come back negative. Wife and I took vaccine before baby was born at the strong urging of her ob doctor because my wife was high risk, and friends neighbor who was my age died right before wife had their baby. I couldn’t imagine doing that to my wife knowing I didn’t at least try.

I would not have taken it if she had not been pregnant. I think at risk demographics needed to probably take it, but I also think that the politicalization of Covid and its aftermath is/was sick. There were a lot of people from that period that used it for their own benefit.

Here is my question. How/why do some of the population keep getting this? I know nobody knows, but it’s just crazy. I am so thankful that kid’s really didn’t suffer from it. My two are essentially a biological weapon for me and the wife. Older one is finally understanding germs to an extent.

Reactions: paindonthurt

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
JFYI this not the first time I have been exposed to Positive test and other cases of this disease. My wife is a nurse and have been exposed a lot times more than the aver person. Both of my sons had the virus worse than I have had it. I’ve gotten all the vaccines and would have this time but I don’t didn’t have time. I was just lucky I didn’t get it when my health was very bad from 2020 through 2022. It would have been a much worse case scenario.

You do what you want. My sister in law has forbidden my brother and all of her family from getting vaccinated. Even when she buried her mother died from Covid in 2022.

Would the vaccine and subsequent vaccinations have saved her we can’t say either way but it’s too late to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login