Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2012
Problem solved.

Weezie

Get Down Dancing GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
We only took the 1st 2 shots way back when.

Had it once then when wife had it in early 2021. Skipped it the next time the wife had it a year later.

Both had it again mid summer this year. Mine started with body aches, mild fever and general cruddy feeling. Did take the new anti viral treatment, at least 3-4 days of it. Day 1 was mild flu level, day 2 was mid fluish, day 3 was quickly to recovery.

Hope yours gets better.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You from Gunader county or nearby though right? Most of us are :)
Yes sir! I refer to it as the Quad Cities (Greenwood, Grenada, Winona, Carrollton). Been in Jxn the last 30 years though. Still own property up there and consider it home. I graduated from in CA in the 80s.

Reactions: jwtorch

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
A lot of foolish and excessively cynical people conflate the flawed and unnecessary policy response, lockdowns and mandates, with the vaccine and oppose both. Some have decided, not because they understand virology or much science, to question all vaccines (look at that lunatic Kennedy). They can easily point to political leaders lying because that's what they do. The CDC did say and act in ways that destroyed its credibility and so did some in the healthcare establishment. I wish politicians and our national healthcare establishment had been honest especially after a few months of Covid when we knew a little more about who was most at risk and leveled with the American people about the true risks especially to young healthy people instead of deliberately lying and misleading us and shutting down businesses and schools. It's led to a significant decline in trust in a number of institutions. It didn't help that this happened during the racial reckoning when many Americans also went crazy and got hyper-emotional about things they didn't know much about. Choices involve tradeoffs. Covid killed maybe 15 million worldwide (China should pay for that) and the vaccine likely saved about a million American lives, or at least extended the lives of many elderly Americans. It also caused some serious complications in some but no where near that dumb "Died Suddenly" fairytale suggests. Life involves tradeoffs.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Is it true that big pharma or the government incentivized doctors to give people vaccines? Is it true hospitals got thousands for each patient and more if that person died ?

1. Is it true that big pharma or the government incentivized doctors to give people vaccines?

no. I didn’t get any extra money for giving the covid vaccine. At least nothing more than the pittance you get for any vaccine administration. Rest assured your doctor is not buying a private island off of vaccine profit

2. Is it true hospitals got thousands for each patient and more if that person died ?

Patients with COVID cost more for the hospital because of multiple factors. One of the largest of these was personal protective equipment. If a patient had covid the hospital got a very small additional amount of money to cover this. Rest assured, covid hurt hospitals BADLY. Hospitals make money off of outpatient procedures. They lose money on sick people. The inpatient part of the hospital is a necessary evil for the money makers in hospitals to have the things they use as cash cows. This is doubly true of the ICU. It is basically somewhere that the hospital just watched money burn.

, I have no idea where the extra money for someone dying thing came from. I know we all hate the government, but that is literally accusing someone of paying a doctor for not trying to save someone’s life. That’s some evil ****. Needless to say that NEVER happened.

COVID was hell. What I saw and had to go through messed me up pretty badly. Being treated by the public like I was part of the conspiracy to whatever the hell was the flavor of the month at the time was one of the largest parts of that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Is it true that big pharma or the government incentivized doctors to give people vaccines? Is it true hospitals got thousands for each patient and more if that person died ?
Depends on the doctor. Gastroenterologists weren't doing that. Government does incentivize behavior all the time including that non-smoking campaign that worked (fyi, I don't recommend smoking even though the gubment against it). Is that comment of yours supposed to be some major reveal to make people question something? Don't know about the hospital thing but keeping hospital beds available was a key concern. Government got some policy issues wrong. That's not the first or last time it will happen.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Being treated by the public like I was part of the conspiracy to whatever the hell was the flavor of the month at the time was one of the largest parts of that.
Wife works in health care, it certainly took a toll on her, in several ways.

We used to argue constantly about the inconsistencies coming from Faucci and the CDC, WHO, etc.

She trusted the healthcare community. I had many questions she couldn’t answer to my satisfaction. Since 2020, she has lost quite a bit of faith in the same community she once trusted so much. THAT takes another toll, when you begin to doubt the bill of goods you bought and trusted.

I blame Faucci for much of it. That guy was given the key to the kingdom, and labeled as the foremost expert on the issue. He should be in prison. The government alphabet soup that muddied the waters differently every day sowed a lot of distrust. The doctors and nurses in the trenches paid a heavy price for the pride and egotism at the highest levels of our “healthcare” officials.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Wife is a nurse that tested positive last Thursday. It hit me hard Saturday night and I am still trying to shake it off. I am glad that I quit smoking. I didn’t take the new vaccine and I wish I had.

Setting aside the hot takes in this thread for right now, I think it's worth highlighting something else in this covid thread- you quit smoking.

17 yes, that's cool to hear. That alone will statistically improve someone's quality of life and length of life in a noticeably significant way.

Sucks you got covid, hope you recover soon, but really happy to see you stopped smoking.
I can't imagine how tough that is. Good work.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sorry, guys. This decade turned me from a vaxx believer into a skeptic of most medical advice. It’s what happens when scientific dogma defeats the scientific method.
The decade didn't do that to you, the content you chose to consume did that to you.

ETA- don't get boosters...fine. But whatever you think about pharma or government or whatever it is thst triggered you to not trust most all medical advice, I hope that with time you can separate your specific distrust away from your distrust for most all medical advice.

If your doctor suggests you get a calcium heart screen to measure buildup in your arteries, do it. That can save your life.
If your doctor suggests you have an irregular growth under your skin looked at, do it. That can save your life.

Medical advice was saving countless people from unnecessary early death long before covid burst onto the scene like the KoolAid Man. Most of those same people are still practicing and haven't suddenly changed how they practice.

^ just food for thought. .

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Me no trustee the vaccinee.

Me no wantee the adverse affects nobody talks about.
Nobody talks about the potential downsides?

I'll clue you in on something- when people continually say 'we can't talk about X', what is happening is X is being talked about.
And in this instance, X has been talked about to death(pun not intended).

Don't get boosters if you don't want em, but don't make it seem like your view is being silenced.

Reactions: vandaldawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Part of being a conservative is having a conservative temperament about change and new public policy ideas. But a subset of conservatives, typically not the most broadly educated, are incredibly cynical and see conspiracies and selfish actors everywhere who are out to screw over all the good liberty loving people. The minute some lunatic leftoid says some bizarre and not-likely to happen, the conspiracy-minded "conservative" social media outlets and talk radio try to scare the crap out of people by telling them "they're sending drag queens to take your gas stoves" or some nonsense like that you won't see in but only a few places (fyi, I don't think drag queen story hour belongs in schools. That's just weird). It's almost like they've given up on the belief that in a democracy you should vote for and elect people who can prevent all sorts of stuff from happening by passing legislation. Maybe the Republican Party's emphasis mainly on tax cuts, limits on abortion and easy access to guns and not much else makes people think they don't care about a lot of policy issues. Or maybe they're electing far right lunatics who scare the hell out of ordinary Americans who just want to enjoy their lives without having to think politically and cynically throughout each day.

I agree. Government institutions and leaders should be more honest. Fauci lied and exaggerated, along with others, because they likely think that's the only way to get some people to behave responsibly. I also find it odd that Trump pushed a quick vaccine, let Fauci do what he wanted and shut down wide swaths of the economy and schools and yet he's still the Chosen One for many who think he's gonna fix our problems. But his appeal is his personality. He's like a pro wrestler with mic skills.

Last edited:

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
It's accurate.
What’s accurate? Says who? Not to mention, where of the safety studies on both? There aren’t even safety studies for all the kid vaccines now a days.

“We have looked for many years to try and find safety studies for any of the 72 vaccines that are mandated for our children and they do NOT exist” - Robbert Kennedy in court.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Glad to have a pulmonologist on here for utterly reasonable takes. I have a pulmonologist buddy who I thought was getting PTSD after Covid initially hit because he lost about 30 patients in the first month or so. They were all elderly and not in the best health, but it still hit him hard especially because he put many on vents, something that didn't go well.

Anyway, my wife and daughter just had it and were sick for a couple of days, it hits hard like the flu, but they got better by day 4. I had omicron some time ago which levelled me for a few days, initial brutal dry cough but I got the good stuff with codein for that, and left me tired for some time and I was vaxxed and boosted (on the advice of my pulmonologist buddy).

And get well soon IBMD
Man, hadn’t really thought about all the doctors that put patients on vents and lost them and later finding out that they was the wrong move. I’m sure that is tough to deal with even if they were just doing the best they could with something new at the time.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Part of being a conservative is having a conservative temperament about change and new public policy ideas. But a subset of conservatives, typically not the most broadly educated, are incredibly cynical and see conspiracies and selfish actors everywhere who are out to screw over all the good liberty loving people. The minute some lunatic leftoid says some bizarre and not-likely to happen, the conspiracy-minded "conservative" social media outlets and talk radio try to scare the crap out of people by telling them "they're sending drag queens to take your gas stoves" or some nonsense like that you won't see in but only a few places (fyi, I don't think drag queen story hour belongs in schools. That's just weird). It's almost like they've given up on the belief that in a democracy you should vote for and elect people who can prevent all sorts of stuff from happening by passing legislation. Maybe the Republican Party's emphasis mainly on tax cuts, limits on abortion and easy access to guns and not much else makes people think they don't care about a lot of policy issues. Or maybe they're electing far right lunatics who scare the hell out of ordinary Americans who just want to enjoy their lives without having to think politically and cynically throughout each day.

I agree. Government institutions and leaders should be more honest. Fauci lied and exaggerated, along with others, because they likely think that's the only way to get some people to behave responsibly. I also find it odd that Trump pushed a quick vaccine, let Fauci do what he wanted and shut down wide swaths of the economy and schools and yet he's still the Chosen One for many who think he's gonna fix our problems.
You reaching into my brain, pulled out observations, and put them to word in a way that would have made Edgar Allan Poe and Maya Angelou both jealous.
If I werent dead inside, I would cry right now.

Especially so on the bolded part- I sit here in both my job and personal life looking around wondering what the 17 everyone that is screaming is actually screaming about. Mountains out of molehills everywhere. And sometimes there isnt even a molehill to begin with.
It is far too easy now for one extreme view/suggestion/comment/policy to be amplified and spun up into a narrative that it is actually a widely held view.
I genuinely fear AI's increase in fake images and fake voices- thats gonna straight up hurt us as a country in the wrong hands.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Yeah I won’t be getting another MRNA jab.
I am concerned for my wife this winter with Covid (or anything) as she recently started Humira and probably moving to another biologic soon.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Man, hadn’t really thought about all the doctors that put patients on vents and lost them and later finding out that they was the wrong move. I’m sure that is tough to deal with even if they were just doing the best they could with something new at the time.
It wasn’t the wrong move. The problem is there was no right move. It was like trying to hold back the water as a dam was breaking. We kept people off the vent for extended periods of time on the future runs of covid. The vast majority of those that were that sick still died.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
What’s accurate? Says who? Not to mention, where of the safety studies on both? There aren’t even safety studies for all the kid vaccines now a days.

“We have looked for many years to try and find safety studies for any of the 72 vaccines that are mandated for our children and they do NOT exist” - Robbert Kennedy in court.
I stand corrected. You've cited a reliable source, a genuinely reasonable man of science and not a total lunatic the medical and scientific community laughs at and whose name you misspelled. FYI, science is self-correcting. It sometimes takes a while, and scientists disagree, but they typically don't look to buffoons like Kennedy for guidance.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
My wife had it and it knocked her down pretty good. I think I had it, but both times the test came back negative. I guess it was just a cold. My son had it and it was just a mild cold for him. Just research and do what you think is best for you and your family. No one should be punished for either decision they make.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

I agree. Government institutions and leaders should be more honest. Fauci lied and exaggerated, along with others, because they likely think that's the only way to get some people to behave responsibly. I also find it odd that Trump pushed a quick vaccine, let Fauci do what he wanted and shut down wide swaths of the economy and schools and yet he's still the Chosen One for many who think he's gonna fix our problems. But his appeal is his personality. He's like a pro wrestler with mic skills.
Well said as I sit wonder what the heck has happened to "my people".

I've always wondered how the whole Covid and particularly the vaccine thing would have played out had Trump been reelected.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It wasn’t the wrong move. The problem is there was no right move. It was like trying to hold back the water as a dam was breaking. We kept people off the vent for extended periods of time on the future runs of covid. The vast majority of those that were that sick still died.
That was the problem. There were no right answers. And the problem further compounded by a comfy society expecting a quick resolution to all of this with little impact to their lives. Reality was this was a trial by fire that was going to 17 over a lot of people regardless of where you lived or your access to decent healthcare.

For me, my biggest gripe was from the medical/public health community in saying "if you do x, then y will happen". There was too much certainty associated with it. Like the 2 weeks to stop the spread initiative and initially insinuating the vaccine would be more like a solution (like polio eradication) than more like the flu vaccine (some mitigation of spread and severity). I don't know if this was from arrogance or simply a Hail Mary, but it got folks pretty ornery when it didn't pan out. I'm not a disaster response expert but I would think the intro level class would say "don't lose the faith of the public". Yeah there were some naysayers out there that had nothing but politics in mind (and still do) but those were some letdowns that will do some long term reputation damage of those we entrust to solve big problems.

That said, and I can get pretty cynical about a lot of things, but looking back on it, what else were we to do in mitigation efforts aside from better communication? Yeah you can take the "virus gonna virus approach" and roll the dice. You can also be responsible for perhaps 10x lives lost in the process. Easy to be a lounge chair QB when your decisions don't matter. We HAD to try or else find a way to sleep with knowing many millions could have been saved.

So for me, the effort was appreciated but being talked to like an adult with an acknowledgment that the efforts might not help and we'd all die anyhow would have been preferred (probably not a good top down strategy as it would cause panic and chaos). I think if we had to do it all over again, we'd have framed this in a more realistic way - "we have a new highly contagious coronavirus that is causing people's immune systems to flip out and suffocate them and we don't know why - here are some things you can do for yourself and family to better your own chances while we figure this **** out and make this manageable like the flu - be careful out there"

Would we be better off in collateral damage had they approached that way? Probably not. Likely worse. Would society have better accepted that messaging? Maybe. Maybe not. Again, there was just no right way to do this. And the next time it happens we won't have a right way either - it's just a ****** scenario. Pray the next virus (there will be one) isn't as contagious I guess....

Reactions: L4Dawg and MSUDOG24

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
That was the problem. There were no right answers. And the problem further compounded by a comfy society expecting a quick resolution to all of this with little impact to their lives. Reality was this was a trial by fire that was going to 17 over a lot of people regardless of where you lived or your access to decent healthcare.

For me, my biggest gripe was from the medical/public health community in saying "if you do x, then y will happen". There was too much certainty associated with it. Like the 2 weeks to stop the spread initiative and initially insinuating the vaccine would be more like a solution (like polio eradication) than more like the flu vaccine (some mitigation of spread and severity). I don't know if this was from arrogance or simply a Hail Mary, but it got folks pretty ornery when it didn't pan out. I'm not a disaster response expert but I would think the intro level class would say "don't lose the faith of the public". Yeah there were some naysayers out there that had nothing but politics in mind (and still do) but those were some letdowns that will do some long term reputation damage of those we entrust to solve big problems.

That said, and I can get pretty cynical about a lot of things, but looking back on it, what else were we to do in mitigation efforts aside from better communication? Yeah you can take the "virus gonna virus approach" and roll the dice. You can also be responsible for perhaps 10x lives lost in the process. Easy to be a lounge chair QB when your decisions don't matter. We HAD to try or else find a way to sleep with knowing many millions could have been saved.

So for me, the effort was appreciated but being talked to like an adult with an acknowledgment that the efforts might not help and we'd all die anyhow would have been preferred (probably not a good top down strategy as it would cause panic and chaos). I think if we had to do it all over again, we'd have framed this in a more realistic way - "we have a new highly contagious coronavirus that is causing people's immune systems to flip out and suffocate them and we don't know why - here are some things you can do for yourself and family to better your own chances while we figure this **** out and make this manageable like the flu - be careful out there"

Would we be better off in collateral damage had they approached that way? Probably not. Likely worse. Would society have better accepted that messaging? Maybe. Maybe not. Again, there was just no right way to do this. And the next time it happens we won't have a right way either - it's just a ****** scenario. Pray the next virus (there will be one) isn't as contagious I guess....
We needed someone with a cool head to bring us together through a horrible time. Think Winston Churchill with the fireside chats. Instead what we got were a bunch of morons in DC using it as a political football and turning us against each other for their own gain. And I mean both sides.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

RFK Jr. is a lunatic nutjob.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020

Thank you for the most level headed commentary I have ever read regarding COVID.

jwtorch

Jun 15, 2023
Yes sir! I refer to it as the Quad Cities (Greenwood, Grenada, Winona, Carrollton). Been in Jxn the last 30 years though. Still own property up there and consider it home. I graduated from in CA in the 80s.
I'm lake trash from across the lake :) Grew up just on the Calhoun side of the line. Been in N AL for many years but trying to get back home (got a house in Grenada & a little property out in Gore Springs).

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Part of it is people are too black and white on "credibility". If a person's answer will gain nor cost him anything, I view it more credibly than if the answer may cost him his life's savings, his life, or his ideology. People are biased, fact of life. It's one thing to question the medical community on answers that call their entire profession into question, or many lives. For example, vaccines save millions of lives, but negatively effect a small few. Doctors, out of concern for those millions to be saved, downplay the few that will be affected. That's understandable. But it's quite another thing to say vaccines are killing millions and all docs are in on keeping it a secret.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

My gripe was in the medical community's blindspot to higher math and pathologic evolution. Aerosol spread was dismissed out of hand due to bias in the medical community. That cost lives and reputation. And then docs continued to not understand how vaccination affects community spread and variant evolution. This was a new situation, it's understandable, but I don't see recognition and learning coming from that crowd.

PhiDawg

Aug 2, 2023
The decade didn't do that to you, the content you chose to consume did that to you.

ETA- don't get boosters...fine. But whatever you think about pharma or government or whatever it is thst triggered you to not trust most all medical advice, I hope that with time you can separate your specific distrust away from your distrust for most all medical advice.

If your doctor suggests you get a calcium heart screen to measure buildup in your arteries, do it. That can save your life.
If your doctor suggests you have an irregular growth under your skin looked at, do it. That can save your life.

Medical advice was saving countless people from unnecessary early death long before covid burst onto the scene like the KoolAid Man. Most of those same people are still practicing and haven't suddenly changed how they practice.

^ just food for thought. .
Food for thought….most medicine peddled by MDs is outdated. Never felt that way until the covid response forced me to open my eyes.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Most medicine is outdated??? Can you provide several specific examples of outdated medicine or medical practices? Have you been to the doctor and told them they are practicing medicine that's out of date. Just give me some specific examples because I have two daughters headed to med school in the next few years and I want them to be able to correct their professors who teach out-of-date stuff. I also want to tell the doctors in my family and my doctor friends what they are specifically doing wrong and point to this thread as evidence.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Also pray that it isn't more lethal. If this one had been like its cousin, the first SARS, in that respect we would have been looking at probably a million dead, just in Mississippi.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
From my personal observation, it looks like most everyone getting covid or that keeps getting covid, have gotten the vaccine or vaccines. I don’t know, it just looks that way to me. And on the other side, I’ve met a lot of people like me.
That’s my personal experience also, but I just chalk that up to people less likely to get the vaccine being less likely to get tested.
We’ve had several colds in our house since the hysteria died down and any one of them could have been Covid. But there’s not much point in testing for it.

But the people that were hysterical about Covid are still getting tested for Covid, so of course it feels like everybody getting Covid multiple times was vaxxed.

Reactions: ckDOG

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Gotcha. I thought they had data showing early use of ventilators did more harm than good that the medical community more or less agreed with, but I got that from some news story and of course even the few trying to be credible are generally awful on science stuff.

Reactions: HailStout

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
My gripe was in the medical community's blindspot to higher math and pathologic evolution. Aerosol spread was dismissed out of hand due to bias in the medical community. That cost lives and reputation. And then docs continued to not understand how vaccination affects community spread and variant evolution. This was a new situation, it's understandable, but I don't see recognition and learning coming from that crowd.
A lot of the early stuff that came out on this came from China. There was a lot of, shall we say, misinformation, coming from there.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Food for thought….most medicine peddled by MDs is outdated. Never felt that way until the covid response forced me to open my eyes.
Totally wrong. COVID was science in real time and in the raw. The public generally never sees that.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm lake trash from across the lake :) Grew up just on the Calhoun side of the line. Been in N AL for many years but trying to get back home (got a house in Grenada & a little property out in Gore Springs).
I trying to remember this with some buddies, there was a tiny private school on the north side of the lake (i'm assuming in Yalobusha County, possibly near Coffeville?) up through the early 80s. I swear we played them in basketball, but none of my friends remember it. Any ideas? Looks like there was a Yalobusha Academy at some point.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I applaud this entire thread for making it a full two pages without anybody going full stupid and getting it locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login