OT: Crab Grass

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Does anyone else have crabgrass? I have sprayed three different chemicals now, and it just smiles at me and keeps coming. I thought I would dump some chemicals on its head and that would be that Vietnam style. Oh was I wrong. My wife has enlisted me in a war against this ****, and I am 17ing failing to steal a line from Zero Dark Thirty. I mean even hell fire does not work on this stuff.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Does anyone else have crabgrass? I have sprayed three different chemicals now, and it just smiles at me and keeps coming. I thought I would dump some chemicals on its head and that would be that Vietnam style. Oh was I wrong. My wife has enlisted me in a war against this ****, and I am 17ing failing to steal a line from Zero Dark Thirty. I mean even hell fire does not work on this stuff.
If you’re in the Jackson area, contact Franklin Simmons at Simmons Turf Services. He lives in my neighborhood and sprays my yard throughout the year. Can’t recommend him enough.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
What grass do you have?

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
It is the worst. Your story sounds exactly like mine.

Fishsqeezer

Jan 3, 2023
MSMA will kill everything except Bermuda

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
MSMA is your best option. Go with the highest rate it recommends. You’ll think you killed your grass but it will be ok and come back out. You might have to spray it again with a lighter rate a few weeks later for the spots with alot of crab grass.

You can use anything with quinclorac in it as well but you’ll have to spray it at least twice to finish it off. If you have tomatoes don’t spray it near it or you’ll smoke them.

Reactions: biodawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We have a huge problem with Buttonweed down here and it spreads like wildfire. I was out of town for a week and a I sprayed MSMA at highest level a week ago. 3 days later my yard looked like Elm Lake in a drought. This is what it looks like today. The first pic is the dead buttonweed.

Attachments

• IMG_6564.jpeg
    IMG_6564.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6565.jpeg
    IMG_6565.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 6

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We have a huge problem with Buttonweed down here and it spreads like wildfire. I was out of town for a week and a I sprayed MSMA at highest level a week ago. 3 days later my yard looked like Elm Lake in a drought. This is what it looks like today. The first pic is the dead buttonweed.
That Virginia buttonweed is going to come back out. MSMA just pisses it off. I used metsulfuron-methyl in my yard and eradicated the Virginia buttonweed and it looked like a carpet in some places.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
That Virginia buttonweed is going to come back out. MSMA just pisses it off. I used metsulfuron-methyl in my yard and eradicated the Virginia buttonweed and it looked like a carpet in some places.
I guess I’ve had good luck with it. The only parts that get it now is from neighbor creep. Just like mole crickets. My front yard, separated by driveways from neighbors does not have issues.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Are you overrun with it? Or is it just in spots? it just in spots, spot treat it with anything you want, even Roundup, just be careful. Or pull it.

If overrun, use MSMA like others have said, and worst case, just hire a company to spray for a season, so you kill it, and get a pre-emergent. Get it under control, and spot treat from there on out.

Awwhellnaw

Jun 29, 2017
I’ve been in this same crabgrass war this year as well. I’ve used all the chemicals listed above with little to no success. I am finally making a little headway by carefully spot spraying it with RoundUp.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ve been in this same crabgrass war this year as well. I’ve used all the chemicals listed above with little to no success. I am finally making a little headway by carefully spot spraying it with RoundUp.
My dad has been blessed with MSMA resistant crabgrass. He uses a light shot of roundup and quinclorac.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Laughing Dying GIF

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
i have 2.5 acres of bermuda, and I have found the perfect cocktail that also provides residual

2.5 acre rate of MSM (aka MSM Turf and will not touch crabgrass)
2 pints Dicamba (Xtendimax)
24 ounces Sulfentrazone

sprayed 6 weeks ago and i still cannot find a single weed over 2.5 acres and didnt ding up the bermuda (this is what I hate about MSMA)

but use MSMA if you want to use one prouduct and dont mind it browning up the grass temporarily .......if you are spot spraying it, Do Not spray the crap out of it....

Celcius is a great spot spray chemical for bermuda.....it's higher than giraffe's *** though, but will last you a while

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Because we are in the middle of summer I would be cautious using any post emerge like msma. The label usually states don’t use them in weather over 85 degrees. i have had great success getting rid of crabgrass with pre emerge. It doesen’t kill it but prevents it from reseeding. So it takes times but you don’t damage your grass and thick healthy grass is best defense against weeds. If you use msma and kills the crabgrass and weakens your grass you are likely going to open the door for another weed to take over. So in addition to pre emerge feed your grass and your soil.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Because we are in the middle of summer I would be cautious using any post emerge like msma. The label usually states don’t use them in weather over 85 degrees. i have had great success getting rid of crabgrass with pre emerge. It doesen’t kill it but prevents it from reseeding. So it takes times but you don’t damage your grass and thick healthy grass is best defense against weeds. If you use msma and kills the crabgrass and weakens your grass you are likely going to open the door for another weed to take over. So in addition to pre emerge feed your grass and your soil.
Pre Emerge for Bermuda: Prodiamine

I disagree on your MSMA.....in the past I have used 2-4D up until it gets to 90 degrees (about first week of June) and after that , MSMA when it gets hot.....I have had a ton better success with MSMA over 90 degrees vs under

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I can deal with the crab, Goose grass gets me fired up. Can’t stand it. As I type this I’m reminded that my driveway needs a good Rounduping to get that ****.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
i have 2.5 acres of bermuda, and I have found the perfect cocktail that also provides residual

2.5 acre rate of MSM (aka MSM Turf and will not touch crabgrass)
2 pints Dicamba (Xtendimax)
24 ounces Sulfentrazone

sprayed 6 weeks ago and i still cannot find a single weed over 2.5 acres and didnt ding up the bermuda (this is what I hate about MSMA)

but use MSMA if you want to use one prouduct and dont mind it browning up the grass temporarily .......if you are spot spraying it, Do Not spray the crap out of it....

Celcius is a great spot spray chemical for bermuda.....it's higher than giraffe's *** though, but will last you a while
Sulfentrazone is really good if you have nut sedge.

Aug 23, 2012
Slightly unrelated but in the same atmosphere. I’ve just started using a product called Tordor for killing woody plants and stumps. Results so far are promising but it’s still early.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
What do y'all use to kill crepe Myrtles? They certainly have to be if the devil because when you cut the tree down a million shooters come up from the roots! I hate crepe myrtles!

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
What do y'all use to kill crepe Myrtles? They certainly have to be if the devil because when you cut the tree down a million shooters come up from the roots! I hate crepe myrtles!
Never done it myself, but I’ve always heard cut it down, spray roundup on the top of the stump, and put a plastic bag over the top with a rubber band to keep it in place. After a couple weeks, should be easy enough to dig up.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Never done it myself, but I’ve always heard cut it down, spray roundup on the top of the stump, and put a plastic bag over the top with a rubber band to keep it in place. After a couple weeks, should be easy enough to dig up.
Roundup works through leaves, so that part of the equation is BS.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
🤷‍♂️ well there ya go. Like I said, never tried it myself, just something I heard along the way. I, personally, love a crepe myrtle.
No that method actually works just use something else like triclopyr.

You can also if the tree is still standing and you want to kill it use the hacking method. Just take a small hatchet and make little downward facing chops into the tree that create almost like a cup. Spray highly concentrated roundup, dicamba, or triclopyr into those cups. It will eventually kill the tree.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Sulfentrazone is really good if you have nut sedge.
and i get some every year....sulfentrazone will smoke nutsedge in 24 hours and keeps it from coming back....there are tons of other things its controls on the label as well.....not sure if it was the dicamba or sufentrazone that smoked the little bit of crabgrass I had, but it worked perfectly

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
and i get some every year....sulfentrazone will smoke nutsedge in 24 hours and keeps it from coming back....there are tons of other things its controls on the label as well.....not sure if it was the dicamba or sufentrazone that smoked the little bit of crabgrass I had, but it worked perfectly
Sulfentrazone is a really good herbicide and also works as a residual. We use it as a preemerge on soybeans.

That was it guess and not the dicamba although both only really work on broadleafs.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Of course Lucifer lives in Jackson, hell on earth.*
Yeah, yeah, Jackson sucks man that is an original joke sure it took a great deal of creativity. For the record, I live in many places the metro area is just one of them. But I will not keep you I would hate to get in the way of the next Pryor or Carlin.

Reactions: NTDawg

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Hell 90% of my backyard is crabgrass. It's as healthy as the bahalia in the front yard and the 1,000 or so other grasses on my property 🤣
The drought took out nearly all the Bermuda right by the house. I still have large swaths of dead patches.