OT: Do y’all have a favorite Sec East team?

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
I visited Charleston, SC a few years back and fell in love with the place. I don’t know jack **** about South Carolina’s athletic program in any aspect but if I had to pick a team in the East it would be them- solely on the fact that I enjoyed my stay there. Tons of trout fishing, great people, great food, etc.

What about y’all? Any team in the East that y’all keep on the back burner?

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
USC is in Columbia
While I am aware of that, I genuinely enjoyed my time in Charleston. Which led me to choose South Carolina as my east team. I also met Darius Rucker while I was there, real down to earth guy.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Georgia. When they're not playing State I rarely want them to lose. All sports.

Gave you an upvote because I’ve spent time in Tifton. My brother in law’s family are somewhat donors and graduates of UGA and, while annoying as hell during football season, are good people.

Jan 31, 2012
Went to school at South Carolina. Great school and a decent town. Baseball and women's basketball are the bread and butter there. Just like MSU the last few years.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
UGA…our youngest daughter went there. We weren’t prepared to like it but we did. Athens is a great town and it’s easy to get lost.
That’s when I really found out how much $$$ is in GA. Our oldest daughter had just graduated at MS State and I saw that UGA had 5+ times the internships in each department as State.
That being said, State grads are well prepared but have to prove themselves. That’s another subject.

LexSCDOG

Aug 5, 2014
I visited Charleston, SC a few years back and fell in love with the place. I don’t know jack **** about South Carolina’s athletic program in any aspect but if I had to pick a team in the East it would be them- solely on the fact that I enjoyed my stay there. Tons of trout fishing, great people, great food, etc.

What about y’all? Any team in the East that y’all keep on the back burner?[/QUOT

Usc. Live in Columbia. Went to grad school there. Daughter went there. The church I am a member of is 2 blocks from USC. But MSU is really all that matters.

Feb 23, 2008
I think I’d pick half the SEC West before I chose a single team in the East.

Behind State, I’ve got to go with LSU. The food and people are all things I relate to. Then there’s A&M who’s so much like us. (Minus the whacko traditions). Then there’s Auburn. Take away Cam Newton and Shug Jordan and there’s not much I hold against them. They are also like us. Always being talked down to for being the agriculture school. Which is funny actually. I’ve never heard a single Ole Miss person complain about a good steak.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Behind State, I’ve got to go with LSU. The food and people are all things I relate to. Then there’s A&M who’s so much like us. (Minus the whacko traditions). Then there’s Auburn. Take away Cam Newton and Shug Jordan and there’s not much I hold against them. They are also like us. Always being talked down to for being the agriculture school. Which is funny actually. I’ve never heard a single Ole Miss person complain about a good steak.

Don't care for Auburn really at all, but I will give them credit for beating Bama more times than probably any other SEC team in the Saban era. And almost did it again this year with a backup qb. Also beat OM, btw.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I disliked USC a lot while I lived there. It always made me furious when I told people I went to State and they asked are they the Rebels. This was not an isolated incident it happened all of the time. These were season ticket holding, condo at Williams Brice fans. I get casual fans but people that live and breathe SEC football should at least know 14 teams. The one exception was the owner of Al’s upstairs. He was a very knowledgeable football guy and loved talking SEC football with me. He is a great guy.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Then there’s A&M who’s so much like us. (Minus the whacko traditions).

How is A&M so much like us? They are the weirdest school in the nation and they have a 13.5 billion dollar endowment. I cannot stress how weird all of their fans are. It’s cult like. Please never compare us to them again. They are weird and have a ton of money. Nothing like us.

Feb 23, 2008
Look at how many coaches coached at both places over the years. My thoughts

Aren’t limited to just sports. They are the AG school of Texas. They look at UT just like we look at Ole Miss.

was21

May 29, 2007
That's kind of humorous to me about Auburn. In my years as an undergraduate at State, I never knew anybody who majored in agriculture, not that there's anything wrong with it, it's an admirable major.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012

Same here, if they’re not playing us I don’t mind Auburn and Arkansas, LSU so so I guess. I can’t stand bama but I do respect Saban although I wish he would retire. Mullen has made me hate Florida. As far as the towns and campuses go Arkansas and Auburn are both great, Bama decent but I think getting worse around campus. Ive been to College Station and unless I missed something I was very unimpressed with both the town and campus. Ive never been to most in the East but I’ve been to Athens a few times and I’ll never understand the fascination. Maybe 20 years ago it was something but downtown is littered with bums and they refuse to do anything about it so it’s worse everytime we go. I love Starkville though more than anything and have people tell us all the time how much they love it.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
^^ This. I also tend to be partial to land grant schools.

A few years ago while visiting family in Indiana during Thanksgiving, my IU alum cousin was a bit irked that I wore a black long-sleeve shirt with khakis while watching the Purdue - Indiana game at their house…

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Gawga, simply because they are the other Bulldogs. Lived in Florida so I destest the Gaytors. Since they are rivals all the better!

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
My son is currently a music major and a member of the marching band at Tennessee, so I have interest in them doing well enough that he has an enjoyable student experience while he's there. In general, though, I think the entire conference is our enemy and I only want any of them to win any games in any sport insofar as it benefits us. Hail State and Amen.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
If I had to choose one to "pull" for, it'd be UGA. But in general, the only SEC team that I actually don't mind when State isn't playing them is LSU. Only in football, though. I hate LSU baseball.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The correct answer is, whom ever is playing Ole Miss! I'm not really a fan of the team but I've always enjoyed and looked forward to going to Auburn. I know they aren't an east team but their fan base has always seemed most like ours.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Aren’t limited to just sports. They are the AG school of Texas. They look at UT just like we look at Ole Miss.

You shut your filthy mouth. You obviously have never spent much time in or around A&M or their fans. They are the scum under the ring of the toilet you only see when you're puking.

If we had their resources we would have 75 combined national titles in the major sports. Painting 17ing overalls... Give me a break. The corps of pretend soldiers that never actually join the military? Not something State would ever do... They 17ing hiss at opponents. If I ever caught a state fan hissing I would burn all of my **** and walk out of the stadium naked.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
All of those SEC East teams are pretty boring - UGA being the most boring. FL was interesting when Spurrier was there, but never could actually pull for them.
Loved going to games at Neyland - way back in the day - pre-Peyton. Enjoyed watching them beat the tar out of OM.
But then it hit me, those Rocky Toppers are CRAZY...

Last edited:

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020

What about y’all? Any team in the East that y’all keep on the back burner?
USCe women’s beach volleyball

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
UGA fans are all over the map. Honestly, they are a mix of MSU and OM because they cover the entire state of GA.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Florida, but that was really only when Spurrier was there. And it's hard to like anyone who regularly plays MSU. The awfulness of Urban and Tebow sort of turned me off of them, plus they sucked post-Spurrier except for that short era. Then Mullen really made me hate them.

All this to say, nobody really has a second rooting interest. Let those two teams play, and you'll figure it out real quick.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Another vote for USCe although my inner 12 year old could never not giggle at "GO COCKS!"

They definitely have the coldest intro music in the game even if they did copy it from Ric Flair & 2001: A Space Odyssey.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Anyone but Kentucky and Vandy, especially Kentucky. Their fans kinda remind me of OM fans. Outside of basketball (OM doesn't even have bragging rights there) they've never accomplished jack, but you'd never know it talking to their fans. They are desperate to be somebody and get attention. Vandy fans aren't much better.

Last edited:

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Mizzou because of family ties, and they haven't been in the SEC long enough for me to hate them yet.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login