OT: Highly Concerning - MS Labor Participation Rate 53.8%

Status
Not open for further replies.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I dont have an issue and this is not about some utopia where everyone is equally rewarded. I just disagree with your claim that if you show up and work hard, you are always rewarded.
Sometimes your hard work is claimed by a boss. Sometimes your hard work goes unnoticed. Sometimes your hard work is appreciated but rewarded in a lesser way than you expect.

You made the fantastical claim- dont be upset when someone tells you it is a fantasy.
I didn’t make a fantastical claim. I live in reality. You’re trying to find holes and say “see people don’t get rewarded perfectly for their hard work!” Like I said, in every scenario there’s an outlier. I’ve held numerous jobs over my life in high school, college, professionally, etc. Some have rewarded hard work better than others. Rarely you’ll receive the exact adequate amount of praise or reward for your work. That’s not my statement. But generally speaking, this society rewards and recognizes hard work better than any in the history of the world.

It’s fantastic advice to give to people to work hard and have a good attitude. It would be EXTREMELY difficult to find someone in this world who has both of those qualities and isn’t successful. But I’m sure you’ll have some cynical response on how that’s not true.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I didn’t make a fantastical claim. I live in reality. You’re trying to find holes and say “see people don’t get rewarded perfectly for their hard work!” Like I said, in every scenario there’s an outlier. I’ve held numerous jobs over my life in high school, college, professionally, etc. Some have rewarded hard work better than others. Rarely you’ll receive the exact adequate amount of praise or reward for your work. That’s not my statement. But generally speaking, this society rewards and recognizes hard work better than any in the history of the world.

It’s fantastic advice to give to people to work hard and have a good attitude. It would be EXTREMELY difficult to find someone in this world who has both of those qualities and isn’t successful. But I’m sure you’ll have some cynical response on how that’s not true.
I just want to find one MFer willing to get the McD milk shake machine working.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015

This.
Plenty of openings begging for people with skills if they want them. This market is paying well for those in demand.

Everyone gets undervalued at times. That’s 17in life. Even so, work hard and give your best, because at the end of the day, no matter who your employer is, its ultimately YOUR name and reputation you’re working to build. Have some pride, even if you feel undervalued, because pouting and plodding through with minimal effort is just as noticeable to potential employers.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
This.
Plenty of openings begging for people with skills if they want them. This market is paying well for those in demand.

Everyone gets undervalued at times. That’s 17in life. Even so, work hard and give your best, because at the end of the day, no matter who your employer is, its ultimately YOUR name and reputation you’re working to build. Have some pride, even if you feel undervalued, because pouting and plodding through with minimal effort is just as noticeable to potential employers.
Exactly. If someone isn’t appreciating your hard work, then I guarantee you there’s an employer nearby that will. Especially in today’s society, where the workforce is average at best.

TBH, I’m shocked this point is even being argued.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mickey D’s doesn’t have enough money to pay employees how to troubleshoot them.
Nah, they just don't want franchisees to be able to troubleshoot them. Too cozy a relationship with the manufacturer and the repairs are a cashcow for the manufacturer.

According to one story I read that I didn't care enough to fact check.

Can't remember where that story was but here's something related:

Reactions: aTotal360

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Exactly. If someone isn’t appreciating your hard work, then I guarantee you there’s an employer nearby that will. Especially in today’s society, where the workforce is average at best.

I am not arguing that point. I fully agree that if you arent appreciated (rewarded), you should consider finding an employment situation where you are properly rewarded.
The fact that you are saying people should jump when they arent properly rewarded is the very thing I initially pushed back on- you claimed people are rewarded for hard work and I said it is common for that to not be the case. Here we are both agreeing that people should consider other employment options when they are not rewarded for hard work.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

That's true, but there are a couple of issues with that. One is that some people just hate changing jobs in a way that I don't understand. I understand that there's uncertainty with any change, and having a little bit of fear, but not to the extent I have seen. I'm talking about people that stay in a place that they are way undervalued for decades.

Two is that it's not easy to demonstrate that you are a superior employee in a lot of jobs. I've worked with people that are great workers that I'm pretty sure would look completely unremarkable if they went and looked for other jobs. They really need to interact with somebody with clout that will vouch for them, but if they're working at a smallish company that doesn't have a lot of people leave, then who are they going to get to vouch for them? They are pretty much limited to a lateral transfer at best and hope that the new organization recognizes their value (or even just has a higher value place they can utilize them; plenty of small companies have employees that could do more and be more valuable but they just aren't growing in a way that would provide that opportunity).

Not arguing against the point that in general good workers get rewarded as long as they're willing to change jobs if they are not. Just pointing out that it is not as simple as showing up and working hard for some people, or even as simple as showing up and working hard and taking a higher paying job at another organization when it's not rewarded. It may take a couple of tries to find the right situation.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
That's certainly their prerogative, provided they don't ask for a handout.

The labor force participation rate is useful, but really all that matters is the number of working age people taking benefits. If you're not working because you're a stay at home spouse, or a trust fund baby, or made enough money to check out early, none of that is stuff really has any significant policy implications. If you are working under the table, that's not great, but would be ok if it weren't for the tendency of so many of those people to also claim disability or section 8 or whatever.

The real problem is that so many people take benefits instead of working. The percent on disability is probably the most important number as that's probably the most abused welfare program. Medicaid is probably also relevant as it's generally pretty hard to work full time and get Medicaid as an adult. But then also Section 8, SNAP and similar programs not strictly time limited, although I think you can work a decent amount and still qualify for those depending on family size.
I think people on here would be amazed if they realized how many people in Mississippi are drawing disability or have Medicare and Medicaid. Many of those are under 65. It kills me when they don’t pay rent and talk about ”their” money coming in on the 3rd. Some act like they are owed that money. I bet 30% of our workforce is on disability paid by taxpayers. It‘s part of subsets of our culture. The working poor are now the non working ”disabled”. The problem is that these people can’t get by now with food inflation being so high. We have a huge problem and most people have no idea.

Reactions: Gooserip

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
How do we fix it? I have become more and more discouraged. My children, who have had the benefit of growing up in Madison, want nothing to do with this state. My friend set, full of parents of high school and college aged children, is seeing the same. The best and brightest don't mind going to State and Ole Miss, but they have no intentions of staying in Mississippi.

My wife is a PERS employee, she has 10 more years and we'll likely end up leaving as well if our kids follow through.
stem jobs are few and far between in the state. And the nepotism and good ole boy system in the towns and businesses that do drive others out. It drove me out of state. More career growth potential in bigger cities or better STEM hubs and where your worth is not based on who your dad was or who you know or what church you went to but what you know and produce.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
LOL. I’m a white academy boy who started ahead so I know the game.

Here’s the thing: Mississippi is the home of the most people in the nation who are behind.

And at the same time, the Ahead Kids want to leave Mississippi because it’s a Behind State.

Once you realize it, you’ll know that there’s got to be some change here in the state.

IMG_6875.png

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How many of the 53% works for the Government in one form or another, Federal, State, County or City. That number could really be the scary number.
Seriously? We have 47% of the state that does nothing but you’re concerned about people who get out of bed and go to work, even if it is a government job?

You are why Republicans suck. And I’m a Republican.

Do you hate police?

I’m HOPING you’re making this post to further illustrate MS’ problems of having enough non-government employers (which is legitimate, you don’t want to be all government), rather than to push a dumb ‘guvmint bad’ agenda.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Awwhellnaw

Jun 29, 2017
It's a complex issue. I'm 100% on board with some of my money going to help those who simply cannot provide for themselves because I think that as a society, caring for others matters. That thought is competing with the feeling of suck that comes with knowing some people "cheat the system". I don't have any easy answers to such a complex issue, nor do any of our politicians...
I’m with you. There are indeed people that need assistance. I have no qualms with resources being allocated tolds that. Like you said, it’s the people that cheat the system and are nothing more than a leech to society that are the problem. And of course the politicians.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

You have to be willing to move to that other employer and in many cases relocate

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's true, but there are a couple of issues with that. One is that some people just hate changing jobs in a way that I don't understand. I understand that there's uncertainty with any change, and having a little bit of fear, but not to the extent I have seen. I'm talking about people that stay in a place that they are way undervalued for decades.

Two is that it's not easy to demonstrate that you are a superior employee in a lot of jobs. I've worked with people that are great workers that I'm pretty sure would look completely unremarkable if they went and looked for other jobs. They really need to interact with somebody with clout that will vouch for them, but if they're working at a smallish company that doesn't have a lot of people leave, then who are they going to get to vouch for them? They are pretty much limited to a lateral transfer at best and hope that the new organization recognizes their value (or even just has a higher value place they can utilize them; plenty of small companies have employees that could do more and be more valuable but they just aren't growing in a way that would provide that opportunity).

Not arguing against the point that in general good workers get rewarded as long as they're willing to change jobs if they are not. Just pointing out that it is not as simple as showing up and working hard for some people, or even as simple as showing up and working hard and taking a higher paying job at another organization when it's not rewarded. It may take a couple of tries to find the right situation.
Honestly that's on that person. You got to learn to market yourself and be willing to take a risk. If a person isn't willing to take some risk then that's on them and they are destined to be passed over. They may be good at what they do but they are being paid to do what they currently do. You want more or a different level you go to do something extra. Especially if you are at the highest level working level for that position. You want a different position you have to go out and get it

Jan 4, 2024
Seriously? We have 47% of the state that does nothing but you’re concerned about people who get out of bed and go to work, even if it is a government job?

Do you hate police?

I’m HOPING you’re making this post to further illustrate MS’ problems of having enough non-government employers (which is legitimate, you don’t want to be all government), rather than to push a dumb ‘guvmint bad’ agenda.
You're being too harsh. Republicans know we need cops & teachers but we better understand where their ACTUAL paychecks come from. I vote republican cuz they are the lesser of the 2 evils cuz they are better at math and arent out to punish the successful.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You're being too harsh. Republicans know we need cops & teachers but we better understand where their ACTUAL paychecks come from. I vote republican cuz they are the lesser of the 2 evils cuz they are better at math and arent out to punish the successful.
I agree with that. But don’t hate on a 1A superintendent. And I’m not in school administration.

Point the anger where it’s deserved - the welfare folks and the folks who enable that.

Republicans hate government workers because they make them play by the rules and and not funnel money to their buddies. Let’s be real. And most government employees are underpaid. Some are overpaid. It equals out and that’s something that should be fixed. But Republicans hate all government (except their own salaries).

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Do not suggest to all of the boot-strap, self-made Americans that the American Dream may look different for different people. There's no way you can work hard and not make it.***
Certainly, I agree that different people have different ideas about what the American Dream is and how to get there.

Concerning hard work and not being able to make it, I know a lady who immigrated to Florida from Columbia 30+ years ago. She worked for years as a maid for Florida homeowners and made a living doing that.

She told me that anybody who can't make it in America is "lazy and stupid." Her words, not mine.

Jan 4, 2024
I agree with that. But don’t hate on a 1A superintendent. And I’m not in school administration.

Point the anger where it’s deserved - the welfare folks and the folks who enable that.

Republicans hate government workers because they make them play by the rules and and not funnel money to their buddies. Let’s be real. And most government employees are underpaid. Some are overpaid. It equals out and that’s something that should be fixed. But Republicans hate all government (except their own salaries).
Republicans don't hate government they just prefer it be run efficiently and used for good purpose (for the most part). So how do republicans funnel tax dollars to their buddies? Got any examples? Solyndra ring any bells or was that just a one off? Are you saying government workers who vote republican love their government paychecks? Outside of politicians and judges, are republicans even allowed to work for the government? I know they've been all but kicked outta academia.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Do you hate police?

Yes, if the government pay roll is too high how do you pay for it? It's like being on a deserted island and you run out of food, and you start eating your own body parts. Sooner or later, you will run out of body parts. Non-government jobs are what we need. That is what we need to drive the economy. Not government spending. I am all about police. I am all about teachers. I am all about fireman. Pay them more. NO problem with that. However, Government is too big. Wanting a smaller government is what Republicans have believed as long as I can remember. They don't all think that way. Bush is one of them who did not. If thinking government is too big makes me a bad republican, then you and I are in two different parties.

I would be willing to bet 30% or more of the working people in Miss don't pay any income tax. Most probably get more back than what they pay in. That's transfer of wealth.

The work participation rate is kind of misleading. It takes in any one 16 years or older into account. How many high school and college kids are only going to school. They probably should not be factored in.

Last edited:
Reactions: J-Dawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So able-bodied people who are poor should just stay at home and live off the government because working is too difficult. Got it. Well At least you’re open about it.

By your rationale, every healthy person should stay home because they may die in a car wreck on the way to work.
What people “should” do is irrelevant, and subjective. Fact is, if that’s the case, people choose that route because the trade-off is worth it. Ultimately, the problem is that there are so few options….and therefore it is actually worth it for a lot of people. Every city and state has its share of poor folks that are living off welfare or other hand outs. The problem in MIssissippi is not the raw number of those people….its that the percentage is so much higher because there are so few good jobs for the middle class. Therefore, most anyone with the means and ambition to do so will choose to leave.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes, if the government pay roll is too high how do you pay for it? It's like being on a deserted island and you run out of food, and you start eating your own body parts. Sooner or later, you will run out of body parts. Non-government jobs are what we need. That is what we need to drive the economy. Not government spending. I am all about police. I am all about teachers. I am all about fireman. Pay them more. NO problem with that. However, Government is too big. Wanting a smaller government is what Republicans have believed as long as I can remember. They don't all think that way. Bush is one of them who did not. If thinking government is too big makes me a bad republican, then you and I are in two different parties.

I would be willing to bet 30% or more of the working people in Miss don't pay any income tax. Most probably get more back than what they pay in. That's transfer of wealth.

The work participation rate is kind of misleading. It takes in any one 16 years or older into account. How many high school and college kids are only going to school. They probably should not be factored in.
I get it. But the government workers aren’t the issue here. Why are you blaming them when there are bigger fish to fry?

Jan 4, 2024

What
What people “should” do is irrelevant, and subjective. Fact is, if that’s the case, people choose that route because the trade-off is worth it. Ultimately, the problem is that there are so few options….and therefore it is actually worth it for a lot of people. Every city and state has its share of poor folks that are living off welfare or other hand outs. The problem in MIssissippi is not the raw number of those people….its that the percentage is so much higher because there are so few good jobs for the middle class. Therefore, most anyone with the means and ambition to do so will choose to leave.
What people should do IS relevant and sitting on your able bodied azz living off others shouldn't be an option.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked
Jan 4, 2024
I get it. But the government workers aren’t the issue here. Why are you blaming them when there are bigger fish to fry?
There ARE no bigger fish to fry than stopping government corruption and waste which has always been the reason for empire decline not individuals producing in the private sector.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There ARE no bigger fish to fry than stopping government corruption and waste which has always been the reason for empire decline not individuals producing in the private sector.
I mean if you want to go after Phil and Brett Favre, fine. But don’t go after the normal day to day employees just trying to provide for their families.

Again, get the right people.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Let me teach you a lesson that was taught to me at a very young age: life is not fair.

Some people start ahead, some people behind. But America has always been a place where if you show up and work hard you will get rewarded. The answer is to not sit at home and play the victim.
That’s a lie, the hardest working people I know make the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.