OT: Honda mower won't crank

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I figured out that the choke plate was open and when I pushed it close the mower started right away. I replaced the thermo wax assembly. The old thermo wax assembly was bad, the pin was stuck in the out position. However the mower still wont crank. Sprayed it cleaner and with starting fluid. I also replaced the sparked plug. The old plug spark plug was dirty.

The mower is around 10 years old and if I can't fix it myself I will replace it. The transmission isn't going last much longer among other minor problems.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Take a hammer and beat around on the motor a little bit… always worked for my Dad**

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Does it have a small air filter for the gas tank somewhere? Those can get stopped up and it won’t let the gas flow right.

Last edited:

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
DesotoCountyDawg;[URL="tel:2045848" said:
2045848[/URL]]Do it have a small air filter for the gas tank somewhere? Those can get stopped up and it won’t let the gas flow right.
it has a filter on the vent gas cap. I blew on it make sure air was getting through. Not sure why it wouldn’t crank after I replaced the thermo wax because I know that was the original problem. Maybe it was flooded with gas and needed to sit. IDK

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Very true….

Pro tip: if you’ve been using gas with ethanol in it, that’s likely your problem.

I live in a big metro area and the EPA won’t allow ethanol free to be sold here. Best I can do is premium for my mower and ethanol free ($15 a gallon at Home Depot) for my trimmer and chainsaw.

$5 a gallon for 10% corn mash in my tank is just super. 81 million votes can’t be wrong.*************

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Dawgbite;[URL="tel:2045883" said:
2045883[/URL]]It's a Honda, obviously you're the problem.
Probably but as I said earlier I got it to crank

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Emma’s Dad;[URL="tel:2045885" said:
2045885[/URL]]Pro tip: if you’ve been using gas with ethanol in it, that’s likely your problem.
I have never used gas with ethanol

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
If you have rubber lines on any motor, and you let non treated/stabilized ethanol fuel sit for 2 weeks, the ethanol starts breaking down. The alcohol portion of the fuel leeches the rubber, weakening/softening it. This causes particulates to get into your carbureator and cause problems. If allowed to sit for months, this slurry will begin to etch the metals of the motor causing more problems.

Simple rule, if you can only get ethanol, either run it completely out, or you must buy stabilizer and add it to every gallon.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Desoto, you’re wrong on this one. I used to work on equipment in my teens and early 20’s, and I’d chalk your fortune up to your equipment having materials that can stand up to the ethanol, or your gas station having low percentages of it, perhaps? Larger commercial equipment could sometimes handle it, but low-to-mid grade equipment and 2-cycle will eventually need parts replaced. We did some experiments with old carburetor bodies, rubber gaskets and fuel line placed in jars of ethanol fuel. The cheaper aluminum bodies corroded like hell, and the rubber materials swelled up like overcooked pasta and became soft.

I can’t remember how many engine manufacturing reps warned us about ethanol damage when Congress pushed the 10% ethanol target. They were spot on. Our workload exploded with no starts. Carburetor corrosion was so bad in many cases, rebuild wasn’t an option, replace only. The materials used in small engine fuel systems are not automotive grade, and would deteriorate even after one exposure to ethanol. There were the rare occasion that someone would brag that they still used the “regular cheap stuff and I ain’t had no problems” but they were the anomaly for sure.

My old *** sucks at imbedding videos, but check out Project Farm’s video on YouTube about ethanol damage.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Sometimes even the stabilizer isn’t enough to prevent damage. I’ve tried it. No telling how many Stihl carbs/fuel lines I’ve bought over the years because I couldn’t find non-ethanol.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I used pre-mixed fuel for my 2 cycle engines. It's non-ethanol, high octane fuel already blended in a 50:1 ratio (other mixtures are available). It's ridiculously expensive, but I don't use my equipment enough to matter, and you can leave the fuel in the tank over winter with no damage.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Ethanol isn’t great on motors, I get that. My point is people use ethanol as an excuse for not taking care of their stuff.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I figured out that the choke plate was open and when I pushed it close the mower started right away. I replaced the thermo wax assembly. The old thermo wax assembly was bad, the pin was stuck in the out position. However the mower still wont crank. Sprayed it cleaner and with starting fluid. I also replaced the sparked plug. The old plug spark plug was dirty.

The mower is around 10 years old and if I can't fix it myself I will replace it. The transmission isn't going last much longer among other minor problems.

View attachment 24577

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Is there a fuel cutoff on your fuel line? I've had to replace those on a couple. Generally it's a plastic twist valve.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
This was my issue last year. First mechanical issue I’ve had with my Husqvarna in the 12 years that I’ve had it, but it was gradually giving me more and more trouble cranking it up until one day, I just couldn’t get it to turnover.

I called the local shop about cleaning it and changing out all the seals, and the guy said he’d be glad to do it, but that you get a brand new one with a complete repair kit on Amazon for about $25. One 6-pack and a YouTube tutorial later, the thing was running like brand new

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Dawg_4_lifes;[URL="tel:2045943" said:
2045943[/URL]]Did you use the correct curse words? That usually does the trick for me.
I used every curse word known to man or beast and made up some new ones

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login