OT: If it's not one thing, it's another: dock workers strike

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
East coast dock workers went on strike today, bringing ALL east coast shipping ports to a grinding halt.

They have rejected a 50% pay increase (west coast dock workers last year agreed to a 32% pay increase). They want a 77% raise and no use of automation. I'm not sure which of those seems like a bigger reach.

At least retailers supposedly worked in anticipation of this to stock up so consumers shouldn't feel the effects for a few weeks, except maybe on some very perishable items like bananas.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Make no mistake about it, the ILA doesn't give a rip about the businesses affected by their strike and they certainly dont give a rip about the repercussions their actions will cause to this country. They never have cared about such things and they never will. This strike was intentional. There has been no good faith negotiations going on since June and even that was minimal. I can tell you this, they do not have the support of rank and file container truckers who are now jobless until the ILA can at least put something reasonable forward if they ever decide to.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Does the "no new automation" demand have a timeline? Are the companies expected to extend that measure in perpetuity? If so, that seems like a completely ludicrous demand. Who could possibly predict the automated measures that might be necessary in the future?

Reactions: Blues man

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Does the "no new automation" demand have a timeline? Are the companies expected to extend that measure in perpetuity? If so, that seems like a completely ludicrous demand. Who could possibly predict the automated measures that might be necessary in the future?

Well, it was an idea from the union. So ludicrous is probably the right ballpark.

Reactions: 92Pony

Cybercock

Jan 20, 2022

Well it all started with an objection to an automatic gate at a port in Mississippi so they obviously are worried about being replaced by technology. Thing is, the more money they make, the more sense it makes to pursue automation.
Unions have a place but this is a buttload of unrealistic demands

Last edited:

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
I bet auto assembly line workers such as welders and spray painters would have liked to have had that protection in their employment contracts since their jobs have been automated. Obviously, longshoremen feel privileged and special and think they can't be replaced.

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
I have hard time sympathizing with anyone who earns just shy of a million a year, drives Bentley's & says, quoting, "Mess with me, I'll cripple you". Joe Daggett, Boss, ILSA
I'm all for anyone wanting to better their pay & hope they get it. But, if there was ever a reason for automation, this is it.
Holding others (us the citizenry) hostage just to put teeth into your demands, doesn't bode well in garnering sympathy nor support.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Well it all started with an objection to an automatic gate at a port in Mississippi so they obviously are worried about being replaced by technology. Thing is, the more money they make, the more sense it makes to pursue automation.
Unions have a place but this is a buttload of unrealistic demands
Funny thing is the gate is where the problems begin and actually where most of the problems exist. Human error is a big problem at all the gates. I know this because my wife gets a call every time one of our trucks runs into a problem there. And the problem is never on our end because she is damn good at her job.
They could speed up driver waits, traffic and the supply chain itself by allowing gates to be automated if they cared about such things and they know it. But as I said earlier, they dont care. On top of that drivers now (through govt regulations) have their time electronically monitored and time wasted in the port is time they can't get back. And trucking is a profession that has been going through rate decreases now getting a double whammy because of this.
If you ask me, I believe they dont wish to give up gates because without them, they can't blackball or make doing business difficult for truckers or trucking companies they have an ax to grind with. The ability to make doing business difficult is a very powerful ability. Gate control is the primary reason why you have to be careful when criticizing the union in this industry. No doubt the gate (the point where they flex their muscle) would have to be pried from their hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker123

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I have hard time sympathizing with anyone who earns just shy of a million a year, drives Bentley's & says, quoting, "Mess with me, I'll cripple you". Joe Daggett, Boss, ILSA
I'm all for anyone wanting to better their pay & hope they get it. But, if there was ever a reason for automation, this is it.
Holding others (us the citizenry) hostage just to put teeth into your demands, doesn't bode well in garnering sympathy nor support.
They want a champagne lifestyle with beer level skills.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login