OT: Its good we do not have this issue here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
"Follow the money" is a phrase that can pretty much be applied to almost any public policy on the right or left. The left uses that phrase quite often.
Yup, I am usually straight up confused regardless of who uses it since it is so vague and often meaningless.

patdog

May 28, 2007

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah, Hertz went balls deep right away and they really should have played more of a 'just the tip' game with EVs.
The announcement was odd when it was first made and it isnt surprising to see things havent played out like Hertz had hoped. When I rent a car, I want something that I dont have to think about at all because I view the rental as a tool rather than a feature of the trip. I think a lot of others have a similar approach to car rental.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
"Follow the money" I spend if you want to know what I like. It was orange chicken and Mongolian beef last night, which says something about me.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Yeah! Go get em tbay and give em hell! And while you are at it, lets point to how no combustion engine vehicles refused to start in Chicago or all over the Upper Midwest these last few days! Oh, wait...

Once again-
- EVs arent for everyone and ICE vehicles are very much available for those that dont want or cant afford an EV. My most recent vehicle was an ICE vehicle and I plan to have that thing for the next decade- keep that in mind if you choose to respond to this post.
- Brutally cold temps have bricked vehicles for decades. I grew up int the Chicago metro and can remember many vehicles, mine included, not starting. Heck, my Honda Pilot didnt start 2 years ago due to absurdly cold temps so I had to get a new battery.
- Cold temps have paralyzed infrastructure in the South that wouldnt paralyze the North and laughing at that situation is also lame.

Ha, I have come to appreciate tbay's bulldoggedness when it comes to highlighting Chicago in every negative way possible. Never change.
To be fair, there’s not much positive to highlight recently in terms of Chicago

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Yeah, Hertz went balls deep right away and they really should have played more of a 'just the tip' game with EVs.
The announcement was odd when it was first made and it isnt surprising to see things havent played out like Hertz had hoped. When I rent a car, I want something that I dont have to think about at all because I view the rental as a tool rather than a feature of the trip. I think a lot of others have a similar approach to car rental.
" I think a lot of others have a similar approach to car rental."

....and car ownership

Reactions: mstateglfr

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Buy EV's now for the left is like the buy gold now from the right. Both are for people who see some near future systemic collapse.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Germans were stupid for shutting down Nuclear power plants. Germans have done a few stupid things in their history.
Biggest one ever was declaring war on the United States in 1941. Hitler was suuuuuupid.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Buying EVs if one anticipates a systemic collapse? That don't make sense to this country boy, unless they plan to charge them on solar (and that capacity is decades away).
I know people who own Teslas. They like them and use them all the time. You get to stop at Buccees on long trips too.

engie

May 29, 2011
I’d respect your opinions more if you didn’t intentionally post misinformation & lies. When one of the largest & most influential states institutes a ban on something starting in 11 years, that is the definition of phasing it out.
This is the reality. In practice, Cali makes up between 10 and 20% of the overall marketplace. Even though the regulations are often terrible for the performance of the machines themselves, manufacturers practically always design to the CARB standard. They don't retool specifically for California. In that way, California has been paving the way with emissions for as long as I've been alive. Next time you pull a spark arrestor and turn an idle screw two turns out to gain 20% more power on your weed eater or backpack blower, thank California.

Now, that said, I think the pendulum has swung about as far as it possibly can in that place, with a reckoning eventually coming. Adults will have to regain control at some point long before these standards go into effect, lest the whole place be bankrupt.

Forgetting the environmental aspect of EVs which people somehow seem unable to do, electric a far superior technology that will eventually send internal combustion engines the same way ICE sent steam engines. I do agree that we are still several major breakthroughs away from that reality really hitting home though. The efficiency, ease of manufacture, simplicity, and sheer superiority of the engines all but guarantee it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I know people who own Teslas. They like them and use them all the time. You get to stop at Buccees on long trips too.
Man, if there was ever a business model that’s made for a future of mostly electric vehicles, it’s Buccees.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is the reality. In practice, Cali makes up between 10 and 20% of the overall marketplace. Even though the regulations are often terrible for the performance of the machines themselves, manufacturers practically always design to the CARB standard. They don't retool specifically for California. In that way, California has been paving the way with emissions for as long as I've been alive. Next time you pull a spark arrestor and turn an idle screw two turns out to gain 20% more power on your weed eater or backpack blower, thank California.

Now, that said, I think the pendulum has swung about as far as it possibly can in that place, with a reckoning eventually coming. Adults will have to regain control at some point long before these standards go into effect, lest the whole place be bankrupt.

Forgetting the environmental aspect of EVs which people somehow seem unable to do, electric a far superior technology that will eventually send internal combustion engines the same way ICE sent steam engines. I do agree that we are still several major breakthroughs away from that reality really hitting home though. The efficiency, ease of manufacture, simplicity, and sheer superiority of the engines all but guarantee it.
Agree completely. There’s a lot of hurdles to clear. A lot of big hurdles. But given enough time, they will be cleared. And when they are, the demand for ICE vehicles will disappear.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Pennsylvania passed a law several years ago that said the state would mimic whatever environmental regs California does. It’s started with the sale on diesel semi trucks and will spread from there once other California laws get phased in.

Another example of this is California Prop 12 animal welfare legislation. It makes every state that sends animal products and bi products to California abide by the law California has.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Personally I find it to be one of the most ignorant idea ever hatched. It's simply not feasible at this point in time. The whole green energy scheme is not feasible. Turbines freeze up and solar panels cover with snow. Just non sensical and anyone with common sense can see that. Maybe one day. Plus have you ever seen where they do the mining. Plus most of the profits go straight to China. Oh wait ? Hmm
Let’s mine more Lithium to make batteries and burn more coal to charge them, that makes a lot of sense. Then we will plug our EVs into the overloaded grid that is teetering on failure.

Need to get rid of beef and cows though.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
In a systemic collapse, don't know how dependable Busey's is going to be (or reliable electricity at all), you may also deal with fuel rationing/shortages.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Pennsylvania passed a law several years ago that said the state would mimic whatever environmental regs California does. It’s started with the sale on diesel semi trucks and will spread from there once other California laws get phased in.

Another example of this is California Prop 12 animal welfare legislation. It makes every state that sends animal products and bi products to California abide by the law California has.
According to some folks I've heard on podcasts, although CA passes a lot of environmental type regulations, they don't have intentions of actually enforcing all of it. It's more for the sound bite. They have an "out" written into many of those type bills.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It’s not a “perception hit.” It’s a reality hit
I’ll be King Solomon and split that baby in half: It’s both.

Perception when it comes to the future of technology as perceived today.

Reality when referring to current maintenance costs of technology.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
EV are better for the environment and it’s not close but you do have to drive it many miles to make that to be true. Last I saw it was about 70,000 miles to break even on the environmental affect as every mile you drive with no emissions but that is not why I bought it. I am all about $$$.

Even with my cost savings monthly it will be 2-4 years before I make up the cost difference but I normally keep cars 1-2 decades and drive them forever.

In the meantime, they are fun to drive, 0-60 is unreal and I charge at home.
trips? I don’t seem to have any issues as there are hundreds of places to charge and many are complimentary.

I do hope they come up with that solid state battery that Toyota proclaims to be bringing to the market. They do that, and everyone will consider it if those things turn out to be as good as they say. 1000 range would change a lot!
You aren't driving with no emissions ever. That is a myth. Your emissions are occurring somewhere else other than at your car.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Exactly.

I’m thinking Hertz — or another entity (maybe Tesla itself?) — would have been better off if they brokered them as fleet cars to companies that do a lot of local travel where they’re based.

But maybe the companies looked at the economics too?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Buying EVs if one anticipates a systemic collapse? That don't make sense to this country boy, unless they plan to charge them on solar (and that capacity is decades away).
Shhh… Don’t confuse him with logic.

Well, I suppose lefty survivalists do exist… but generally and stereotypically I suppose I’d think their first thoughts would be community building… now why does Eric Flint’s 1632 book series come to mind?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
^ clearly not a hockey fan.

...really though, I hate them too. Our gym used to be filled with them for volleyball practice until I went full Old Man on the girls and banned em. Well, the open straw style was banned. If the lid closes and water doesnt spill, its still allowed. We had a program talk where I said its dumb to bring em since those things get blown up like bowling pins due to volleyballs hitting them, but if they dont mind dented and scratched $45 water holders, then so be it.
Banning is a great idea. I have several females in my life, and each one has at least one of those damn monstrosities. They tip over and spill super easily, they're too big to fit in cupholders in the doors, they certainly don't fit in the kids' backpacks, and it's too damn heavy for my 8 yo to carry to school (yet she still does.)

I've tried to use it as a perfect microcosmic example of 'keeping up with the joneses', falling into social traps, wasting good money just for a label, etc. but of course none of them want to hear the dad noise, they just know they want a huge *** cup because everyone else has them.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog
Feb 4, 2015
Look,I don’t give a crap whether someone wants an EV or a combustion engine vehicle. If you want an EV then go get one. If you want a gas powered vehicle,then go get one but the freaking government needs to stay out of it and let the marketplace decide what is needed. Eventually EVs will be the dominant vehicle years down the road and will probably be much better than they are now but it has to be a balanced transition to phase out one thing to go to another. You can’t just squash one and force the other. It doesn’t work like that.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

This sounds like a really bad idea. First of all, for any state to vote to blindly follow anything another state does seems a bit... counterintuitive to the whole concept of "state's rights". I think I would prefer to weigh each issue as it comes up if I were a voter. Maybe I'm missing something.

The idea gets even worse when you find out the state they're following is California. Sheesh, Pennsylvania.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Look,I don’t give a crap whether someone wants an EV or a combustion engine vehicle. If you want an EV then go get one. If you want a gas powered vehicle,then go get one but the freaking government needs to stay out of it and let the marketplace decide what is needed. Eventually EVs will be the dominant vehicle years down the road and will probably be much better than they are now but it has to be a balanced transition to phase out one thing to go to another. You can’t just squash one and force the other. It doesn’t work like that.

Does your 'government needs to stay out of it' rant apply to subsidies for oil and other fossil fuels?

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
It’s not a “perception hit.” It’s a reality hit
Agreed, but why is the question. It noted higher repair bills but then also said it was because so many were getting wrecked.
EVs are a different driving experience. So many features require learning almost how to drive again.

1st - these things are fast, if you have never driven - go check one out.
2nd - lots of things to distract until you learn them like regenerative braking with multi settings and lane assists- strange beeps and warnings

I probably wouldn’t use them for rentals either and I own an EV.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
You aren't driving with no emissions ever. That is a myth. Your emissions are occurring somewhere else other than at your car.
Zero emissions for every mile I turn in the car is true.
Power is largely propane generated electricity which is way more efficient way to store and use energy than a gas explosion that creates so much heat that it requires a cooling system to prevent the engine from seizing and uses several very wasteful processes like crank shafts, transmissions, rear ends to get that energy to the ground.

Every mile I turn saves just a little bit and at about 70-80,000 miles then it gets better than an ICE because ICE vehicles are better to build but way worse to drive no matter the source of electricity gets it start, even coal.

If you go Solar panel house setup then it gets even sooner.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
You’re not saving hundreds every month on fuel & maintenance. You’re just not. At best fuel savings are 75%. Maybe $100 per month fuel. Maintenance is almost a wash, with EV coming in at $300 less over 5 years per KBB study.
Maintenance is not wash. I own 3 vehicles and my EV has cost me nothing in 25,000 miles other than tire rotation which is free first three years. I can’t say the same for other two.

There are so many parts to wear out on an ICE than an EV. Cooling systems to transmissions and belts with pulleys and bearings and spark plugs etc… The only extra cost for EVs is tires. They do wear out quicker due to their added weight. If those solid state battery ever gets here then car weight would be much less for EVs making them even more efficient.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Hydrogen cars will be the answer. Hydrogen Cars
Tesla is simply a piece of ****. Much nicer EV vehicles available and coming down the pike. I have not gotten one yet, since the infrastructure and the range does not work for me.
Thinking of getting an EV motorcycle though, although an eMTBike will most likely be my first electric purchase.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Maintenance is not wash. I own 3 vehicles and my EV has cost me nothing in 25,000 miles other than tire rotation which is free first three years. I can’t say the same for other two.

There are so many parts to wear out on an ICE than an EV. Cooling systems to transmissions and belts with pulleys and bearings and spark plugs etc… The only extra cost for EVs is tires. They do wear out quicker due to their added weight. If those solid state battery ever gets here then car weight would be much less for EVs making them even more efficient.
Save up for the battery replacement(s).

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Man, if there was ever a business model that’s made for a future of mostly electric vehicles, it’s Buccees.
Buccees is our future. Charge up the EV, take advantage of the clean bathrooms and charge up that body of yours on brisket and buccee nuts, or whatever those snacks are called. USA .... USA... USA

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

So when do you intend to get rid of your ICE vehicles ?

Reactions: patdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
In a systemic collapse, don't know how dependable Busey's is going to be (or reliable electricity at all), you may also deal with fuel rationing/shortages.
The "systemic collapse" refers to the doom and gloom environmental left (green new deal types, and the preppers on the right (buy gold from Patriot Gold Supply, you're freedom and bald eagle loving Patriotic Patriots) who are quite pessimistic about the future. I'm not. Science and technology tend make our lives better and there's a ton of research on alternative sources of energy going on. It's going to get better and get better quickly. Plus, we'll likely rely on more nuclear power plants. The we're not there yet crowd doesn't seem to have much faith in science and technology. I bought my Honda hybrid about 3 years ago and got the "what are you, gay?" look from some clever, unmarried salesman. Now hybrids are a lot more common. Of course, I do get looks when my chauffeur, a Drag Queen, drops me off at Buccees.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
What The Wtf GIF by Justin
Ford had recently bought Aston Marin and used their design for the hood of the car. It was a great looking car. I'm sure it was no beanmobile but I liked it.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Does your 'government needs to stay out of it' rant apply to subsidies for oil and other fossil fuels?
Yes, the government needs to stay out of our lives except for infrastructure, military, police, and Social Security which we pay for.

I'm a Libertarian so less government is good government! I don't want to be told what to do and when to do it.

The Chinese model sucks!

Last edited:

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Yes, the government needs to stay out of our lives except for infrastructure, military, police, and Social Security which we pay for.
Agree, they are neglecting infrastructure and have already spent the social security money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login