OT: Its good we do not have this issue here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yes, the government needs to stay out of our lives except for infrastructure, military, police, and Social Security which we pay for.

I'm a Libertarian so less government is good government! I don't want to be told what to do and when to do it.

The Chinese model sucks!

Agree, they are neglecting infrastructure and have already spent the social security money.

Cool, no subsidies of oil and gas. Fossil Fuel subsidies reached $7TRILLION last year. So cool, lets take that and improve roads and infrastructure.

Reactions: Hot Rock

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Cool, no subsidies of oil and gas. Fossil Fuel subsidies reached $7TRILLION last year. So cool, lets take that and improve roads and infrastructure.
Cool lets open up and drill on all,of,our leases and use our own coal. We would be energy independent.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Ukraine barely gets anything and is a wise investment to check Russian expansion. The elderly are our biggest expense and biggest recipients of government welfare. Good luck getting any party to seriously commit to spending less. The current Republican nominee added almost $8 trillion to the national debt during his 4 years in office and our current president will add a similar amount. Yet life is pretty damn good. We'll just stick someone else's kids and grandkids with the bill.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
My neighbors lost their house in the March tornadoes. They are building back with a Barndeminium. He’s doing it right but he’s going totally off grid. Full solar with a generator backup. He’s doing all the solar himself and I’ve been helping him some. He’s buying all his appliances that will run off the batteries. He’s going to have close to $100,000 in all the equipment. Based on my electric bill it’s going to take 33+ years to recoup that money, he’s 60! I just don’t understand the benefits.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I have the hybrid F150 and love it. I live in Memphis and get 25-28 mpg in the city. I’m about to buy an EV for wife for around town. Because she can charge at home an not have to get gas! We go long distance we have truck. I believe situation dictates choice here. She just runs around east Memphis and G town.

Reactions: Hot Rock and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have the hybrid F150 and love it. I live in Memphis and get 25-28 mpg in the city. I’m about to buy an EV for wife for around town. Because she can charge at home a not have to get gas! We go long distance we have truck. I believe situation dictates choice here. She just runs around east Memphis and G town.
Hybrids are definitely the way to go.

Reactions: Dawg1976

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
My neighbors lost their house in the March tornadoes. They are building back with a Barndeminium. He’s doing it right but he’s going totally off grid. Full solar with a generator backup. He’s doing all the solar himself and I’ve been helping him some. He’s buying all his appliances that will run off the batteries. He’s going to have close to $100,000 in all the equipment. Based on my electric bill it’s going to take 33+ years to recoup that money, he’s 60! I just don’t understand the benefits.
The benefits is Kerry can fly all over the world in his personal jet!!

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Ukraine barely gets anything and is a wise investment to check Russian expansion. The elderly are our biggest expense and biggest recipients of government welfare. Good luck getting any party to seriously commit to spending less. The current Republican nominee added almost $8 trillion to the national debt during his 4 years in office and our current president will add a similar amount. Yet life is pretty damn good. We'll just stick someone else's kids and grandkids with the bill.
Ukraine got 113 Billion dollars of us taxpayer money in 2023 alone. Not sure what you’re smoking.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
The making fun of people who drive electric cars movement will never make sense to me. Who cares? It’s not hurting anybody, it’s helping to push innovation forward, and it sure as hell isn’t stopping the production of ICE vehicles.
It’s the fact that the elites are forcing this down our throats, ie) elimination of all gas vehicles by 2034, etc etc. it won’t work and it will be a disaster. Ultimately it’s just a method of control and will limit people’s freedom of travel.

Reactions: Dawg1976

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
He’s planting the seed for a tree he will never sit under.

Reactions: 85Bears

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It’s the fact that the elites are forcing this down our throats, ie) elimination of all gas vehicles by 2034, etc etc. it won’t work and it will be a disaster. Ultimately it’s just a method of control and will limit people’s freedom of travel.
There is an elimination of all gas vehicles by 2034? Someone better tell my Governor because she hasn't gotten that memo.

A few months ago, the USDA, under Biden, committed to invest $2.2MM to expand renewable fuel at an Ethanol plant in my state.
Apparently the USDA also didn't know all gas vehicles will be eliminated in 2034.

...or what you said isn't correct.
Also, this isn't a method of control. F17S, that mental midget accusation is played out. So many things people simply dislike are deemed 'method of control'. Absurd.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Ukraine got 113 Billion dollars of us taxpayer money in 2023 alone. Not sure what you’re smoking.
Our federal budget is over $6 trillion. That's a cheap way to fight Pooty Poot and keep him from expanding into eastern Europe.

• Haha
Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Our federal budget is over $6 trillion. That's a cheap way to fight Pooty Poot and keep him from expanding into eastern Europe.
113 billion a year wasted/stolen in Ukraine is cheap ? We probably could have gold plated healthcare, jobs , infrastructure, secure borders with that loot and still have money left over. You’re high.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
There is an elimination of all gas vehicles by 2034? Someone better tell my Governor because she hasn't gotten that memo.

A few months ago, the USDA, under Biden, committed to invest $2.2MM to expand renewable fuel at an Ethanol plant in my state.
Apparently the USDA also didn't know all gas vehicles will be eliminated in 2034.

...or what you said isn't correct.
Also, this isn't a method of control. F17S, that mental midget accusation is played out. So many things people simply dislike are deemed 'method of control'. Absurd.
California mandate 2035

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
ICE vehicles are not being phased out any more than Obama came for your guns(He didnt, if you can remember and be honest. Gun sales increased thru his presidency and both pieces of legislation related to guns failed to pass the Senate in '13, shortly after Sandy Hook.) and to claim ICE vehicles are being phased out is disingenuous at best and perpetuating a lie at worst.
That’s not entirely true.

The current proposed government mandate for emissions by carmakers would mean that approximately 2/3rds of all vehicle sales be electric by 2032. If congress were comprised of a majority of the president’s party… it would be an actual mandate.

That would force ICE powered cars off the market. It arguably already is.

The EPA mandates in place have caused automakers to market engines that are far less reliable than comparable engines 20 years ago. The Ford ecoboost… AFM in GM… turbocharged engines by Toyota and Honda that just add more complexity to the power train… garbage CVT transmissions in Nissans… small diesel engines in trucks that cost a ton to fix when they need service…

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
113 billion a year wasted/stolen in Ukraine is cheap ? We probably could have gold plated healthcare, jobs , infrastructure, secure borders with that loot and still have money left over. You’re high.
Yeah, it's me. We could still have all that stuff and support Ukraine. I suspect you don't have a firm grasp on the actual costs of infrastructure improvements or how funds get allocated for them. "Gold plated," really dude.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Tesla stock dropping and Fisker looks like it's headed for BK. Lots of uncertainty out there.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Save up for the battery replacement(s).
This is one of the most BS things I have heard. I have a 100,000 warranty on the battery plus:

First generation Tesla's are still on the road with 200, 300, 400 and even a few with 400,000 miles and still going strong. Sure, these batterie diminish and won't drive as far but it's not like they are losing all of their charge and aren't drivable. You can drive these cars for years and years with the battery still having plenty of driving distance. You will be replacing your rearend, transmission, motor, a couple fuel pumps, several water pumps, U-Joints, spark plugs and wires, starter and countless oxygen sensors and I can't even think of it all you got to replace before I have to get an new battery. All I have to deal with is I won't be able to drive but 250 miles instead of 300 after 15 years. I can deal with that because I rarely drive that far in one day. I will be retired by then anyway.

I truly can't wait for Toyota to finally come out with that solid state battery... how close are they really... time for me to google. I got excited about it when I first heard about it but crickets....

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
The crooks are in full on looting mode, can’t be bothered to waste ttheir/our money on crumbling roads and bridges. Ukraine needs more money
Have you not even looked at the infrastructure bill that was passed in November 2021? It was a bi-partisan bill with support from both sides.

Ukraine money has nothing to do with this at all. What we give to Ukraine costs us $$ but not American lives. I got no problem supporting a country that wants to remain free and not become Putin's supply chest for more wars. It's way cheaper to give money to Ukraine than it is to deal with Russia once they get their hands on Ukraine. Putin will want more... Next up is Poland? then what? How far you willing to let that communist bastard go that kills anyone that dares to oppose him.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
me either but...

I also don't see the benefit of a lot of things. It's way cheaper to buy meat than hunt for it and fishing? How many fish you gotta catch to pay for that boat and truck that was bought to haul it. Fishing and Hunting are not cost effective unless.... you do it on the cheap and not have all the hunting club dues, 4 wheelers, camera equipment, bait fields etc...

This guy wants to be self-sufficient. No worries and if he has the money, its his choice. I often considered a solar system as well but I need to be at least compatible in cost. Right now, electricity is cheap for residential homes.

Have you ever paid $800 for a round of golf? I have... once. Financially, that was stupid and I knew it but I wanted to play that course once.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Have you not even looked at the infrastructure bill that was passed in November 2021? It was a bi-partisan bill with support from both sides.

Ukraine money has nothing to do with this at all. What we give to Ukraine costs us $$ but not American lives. I got no problem supporting a country that wants to remain free and not become Putin's supply chest for more wars. It's way cheaper to give money to Ukraine than it is to deal with Russia once they get their hands on Ukraine. Putin will want more... Next up is Poland? then what? How far you willing to let that communist bastard go that kills anyone that dares to oppose him.
You are very poorly informed

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Nobody is forcing anything down your throat. The Oil industry subsidies are necessary so long as OPEC exists or we don't have other sources of fuel.
We simply cannot let OPEC control the market or it will run our Oil companies out of business so we give them trillions every year. What is wrong with trying to find a source of energy the gov't doesn't have subsidize. Oil is a drain on our taxes like no other thing other than maybe farming but we gotta eat. We don't have to drive gas cars. I don't see them being used for over the road trucks yet but EVs are in their infancy and they may improve to the point of them being much better than even I think.

EV's is one way to reduce our dependence on OIL so we can say go 17 yourself to OPEC and Russia. All kinds of alternative energy needs to be tried though and let the best source of energy win. Personally, I think it will never be just one source. I think we will need it all, including oil.

Oil being the only game in town for automobiles is a big mistake that needs to be addressed. EV's, Hydrogen cars, and all forms for electricity including the new cleaner burning propane I am seeing as a possibility.

Again, no one is forcing anything down your throat but the ones lying to you about how good or bad EVs truly are. They are not perfect but neither is an ICE.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
No, you are. Putin wants the whole region. He won't be stopping until someone stops him. Why not let it be the Ukraine's who are dying instead of my grandchildren in ten years. You are poorly informed if you think Putin will stop after Ukraine.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have had an EV for a YEAR. I am happy with mine and I drive it daily. Are their kinks? Damn right but it is so much cheaper to operate that I do not think I will ever go back to an ICE. I am saving hundreds every month on fuel, maintenance and frankly this thing is fast as hell and fun to drive. Is it perfect hell no, but there are more car fires in gas burners than EVs fir

You guys keep on hating something you know nothing about other than it’s new and different.

everything is not political or out to get you
correct. not "everything", it's "they". "They" are always out to get you.***

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
ICE vehicles are not being phased out any more than Obama came for your guns(He didnt, if you can remember and be honest. Gun sales increased thru his presidency and both pieces of legislation related to guns failed to pass the Senate in '13, shortly after Sandy Hook.) and to claim ICE vehicles are being phased out is disingenuous at best and perpetuating a lie at worst.

California deciding last year to end new ICE sales in 2035(more than a decade from now) is not good evidence to support your claim.
- It is specific to just that state.
- It doesnt ban ICE vehicles that already exist or that are purchased outside the state.
- It doesnt keep you from buying ICE vehicles now or even in the next decade in that state.
- It doesnt keep you from buying ICE vehicles elsewhere, even after 2035.
I'm gonna show you and post a video of them taking my gas stove when it happens. They can pry it out of my cold dead hands!

Reactions: mstateglfr

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I didnt post misinformation or lies. I straight up address California. I then gave my view why that isnt applicable to the claim that ICE vehicles are being phased out. That is 11 years in the future and is only 1 state.
Ill let you in on a secret, but dont tell others- not only will other states follow, some already have- MA, MD, NY, CT, CO, WA, OR, VT, and NJ. Those are states that choose to follow CARB instead of Federal Emissions Standards, from what I understand.
- They can choose not to follow CARB and back out of this in the coming years, if the tech doesnt look like it will work in time.
- It was expected that these states would all jump on board and while some have, others explicitly havent. CT doesnt have legislative support as of 2 months ago. CO isnt following CARB on this and has its own expectation metrics for EV/ICE in the coming decade.

I offer this up since it isnt just CA and dont want you or others to actually read up on this and claim I am somehow posting more misinformation.
So thoroughness is needed(a rarity in a sea of SPS hot takes).
New sales of ICE vehicles will not be allowed in CA(and other states) in more than a decade from now.

With all that said, it still does not mean the combustion engine is being phased out, which was the claim that I initially responded to.
- All those restrictive states will still allow ICE vehicles to be registered and used in the state. So the combustion engine is still allowed in those states.
- 80% of states currently plan to still allow new ICE vehicles sales in a decade. So the combustion engine is still allowed in those states.
- Used ICE vehicles can still be bought and sold in CA and other states(they have to adopt the same verbiage or follow Fed laws, I believe).
- PHEVs qualify as part of CA's Zero Emissions compliance. PHEVs have a gas engine, to be clear.

Yes, some states are pushing towards a change in how personal vehicles that are sold new in their state use energy to create movement.
No, the combustion engine is not being phased out as it can still exist for new sales in other states, still be driven and registered in ICE banned states, can be bought and sold used in ICE banned states, and can even be sold new in ICE banned states in the form of PHEVs.
Sounds like I need to open an ICE dealership on the CA state line! Kind of like having a liquor store on the Rankin County line.

Reactions: mstateglfr

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I'm certainly no tree-hugger, but I do like the idea of a vehicle that will get me from A to B without me having to purchase gas for $3/gal (or, whatever cost it is at any particular point in time).

Thus, I bought a new Nissan Leaf in December 2014. I thought this car would work for us in most of our driving situations, but I was not completely sure.

Today, we're still driving that Leaf, and it is about to exceed 100k miles on the odometer.

I haven't bought one drop of gas for that car, nor have I paid for any oil changes or tune-ups. In a little more than nine years of owning that car, I've bought two sets of tires, a 12-volt battery and windshield washer fluid.

This car has far exceeded my expectations of satisfaction and usability.

Oh yeah . . . I also got a $7500 tax credit for buying this car.

Having said this, I realize an EV is not for everyone.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I see the light. With the amount we've given to Ukraine, we can have gold plated healthcare, highways, interstates and bridges. In fact, we'll still have money left over for gold-plated sewers and to keep social security and medicare solvent for the next 100 years while sending every American household a patriotic commemorative medallion that has a bald eagle on one side and the word freedom on the other. That's how much we spend on Ukraine. Wake up, sheeple!

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I see the light. With the amount we've given to Ukraine, we can have gold plated healthcare, highways, interstates and bridges. In fact, we'll still have money left over for gold-plated sewers and to keep social security and medicare solvent for the next 100 years while sending every American household a patriotic commemorative medallion that has a bald eagle on one side and the word freedom on the other. That's how much we spend on Ukraine. Wake up, sheeple!
Putin is hitler, 113 billion in money laundering for coke head zelensky is a bargain, Lol, turn off faux news.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
California mandate 2035
That is not an elimination of all gas vehicles. If you think it is, you are grossly misinformed. That only applies to CA and the states that choose to follow CARB. About 80% of states dont apply. Further, the 2035 mandate does not eliminate all gas vehicles because THEY CANT STILL BE BOTH REGISTERED AND DRIVEN IN CA EVEN AFTER 2035.

Seriously, do you not read the thread's prior posts? This has all been discussed.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That’s not entirely true.

The current proposed government mandate for emissions by carmakers would mean that approximately 2/3rds of all vehicle sales be electric by 2032. If congress were comprised of a majority of the president’s party… it would be an actual mandate.

That would force ICE powered cars off the market. It arguably already is.

The EPA mandates in place have caused automakers to market engines that are far less reliable than comparable engines 20 years ago. The Ford ecoboost… AFM in GM… turbocharged engines by Toyota and Honda that just add more complexity to the power train… garbage CVT transmissions in Nissans… small diesel engines in trucks that cost a ton to fix when they need service…
At this point, with this many responses and clarifications that show the sky is not falling, I figured I would just respond to your comment in red with...
"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas"
"If your Aunt had balls she'd be your Uncle, but she doesn't, so she's not.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login