OT: I've heard it all now. "Over the next 5 years Hagey will build on his career of studying gecko toe pads"......

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
View attachment 667671

How could you spend $1 million dollars studying lizard toe pads?
Few things:
1. Shoes were vastly improved when people started studying dog paws, so there's something to studying animal feet.

2. Assumedly, you'd need equipment, staff, etc. over a number of years. Doubtful that the W would cover any of that.

3. It sounds like it has a space-focused application. This is how Velcro was invented. If whatever adhesive that comes out of it sees a fraction of the success Velcro has seen, $1 Million is a good investment.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Few things:
1. Shoes were vastly improved when people started studying dog paws, so there's something to studying animal feet.

2. Assumedly, you'd need equipment, staff, etc. over a number of years. Doubtful that the W would cover any of that.

3. It sounds like it has a space-focused application. This is how Velcro was invented. If whatever adhesive that comes out of it sees a fraction of the success Velcro has seen, $1 Million is a good investment.

Given the age poll, we'll all be thankful for velcro sooner than we'd like.

Argue Grumpy Old Men GIF by Laff

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I've been watching them for years, wonder if I can get onboard this gravy train. We have them here in Madison Co. They are called Common House Geckos and usually come out after sunset. They are bug eating machines, pretty neat to watch. They can walk on ceilings and vertical walls so whatever they have would probably be useful to someone's endeavors.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I don't get being upset about this. To me this is exactly the types of things universities ought to be doing. Read the first two paragraphs.

Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Did you read the line below the headline?
I did, and with 4 feet and 5 toes on each foot that's $250,000 per little foot to study with. It's evidently the same principal of insurance companies willing to pay a hospital $15 for 1 single Tylenol. My question still stands

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I did, and with 4 feet and 5 toes on each foot that's $250,000 per little foot to study with. It's evidently the same principal of insurance companies willing to pay a hospital $15 for 1 single Tylenol. My question still stands
Damn dawg, I was feeling a little sorry for you after this pile-on. Still not satisfied??

Reactions: Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm just amazed to see this bunch around here crying in their Cheerios about the economy, high grocery prices, high truck prices, high home prices, not willing to support NIL initiative, giving up season tickets, etc but are seemingly ok to see someone get $1 million to study little lizard toes. Each to his own I guess.......

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I'm just amazed to see this bunch around here crying in their Cheerios about the economy, high grocery prices, high truck prices, high home prices, not willing to support NIL initiative, giving up season tickets, etc but are seemingly ok to see someone get $1 million to study little lizard toes. Each to his own I guess.......
You may be surprised to know most people's opinion of importance of scientific university research vs NIL payments.

Reactions: dorndawg and Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login