OT - Keep Your Head on a Swivel in FNEJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
JJ Link

This is the intersection where Twin Peaks, Outback and Cracker barrel were formerly located.

My wife drives through there every weekday. And I do too when I occasionally pick my kids up from school. Makes me irrationally angry. No sense for that bullshittèry.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The Muppet Show Muppets GIF by Muppet Wiki

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
My wife drives through there every weekday. And I do too when I occasionally pick my kids up from school. Makes me irrationally angry. No sense for that bullshittèry.
Same here. That’s how we get to Ridgewood for school

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Should've jumped out with their uzi and returned fire**

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Not saying Jxn doesn’t have issues but I am not sure that’s real. The video is from October and it’s just now being talked about. That doesn’t happen in Jackson. Others who know this type of stuff have said it’s a fake.

And if it’s real the driver of that car is either in on the shooting or the calmest human alive.

Reactions: ETK99

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
QT stores seem to flock to high crime areas. That thing is brand new, so the quality of the neighborhood was not in question.
I think crime flocks to Qt's. Man, I watch The First 48 probably too much, and there's always a murder at QT.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Not saying Jxn doesn’t have issues but I am not sure that’s real. The video is from October and it’s just now being talked about. That doesn’t happen in Jackson. Others who know this type of stuff have said it’s a fake.

And if it’s real the driver of that car is either in on the shooting or the calmest human alive.
The people or person pumping gas seemed not to notice anything happening. Looked as if they continued pumping gas. Seems odd if bullets were flying.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think crime flocks to Qt's. Man, I watch The First 48 probably too much, and there's always a murder at QT.
I've seen a bunch in Texas and I'm struggling to think of one that isn't in an area that is at least somewhat suspect. The stores themselves are usually pretty nice.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Fake as in it wasn't a live firearm or he was using blanks and the driver of the car with the dash cam was in on it? That type of activity is not unheard of in Jxn.

I drive from Flowood to DT (Lakeland to 55 to Pearl St or High St). I haven't experienced anything like this, but I have heard gunshots, found fired 9mm lead in the street and our building has been shot several times.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The people or person pumping gas seemed not to notice anything happening. Looked as if they continued pumping gas. Seems odd if bullets were flying.
The Tacoma (or whatever small truck) coming from the same direction as the shooter does back up. The driver of the get away car flashing his lights as he does the U turn, that seems odd. It could certainly be a work. Who knows?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Fake as in it wasn't a live firearm or he was using blanks and the driver of the car with the dash cam was in on it? That type of activity is not unheard of in Jxn.

I drive from Flowood to DT (Lakeland to 55 to Pearl St or High St). I haven't experienced anything like this, but I have heard gunshots, found fired 9mm lead in the street and our building has been shot several times.
Fake as in CGI. Again I’m not saying there aren’t bad things but for this to happen in October and no one see this video or hear much about it until yesterday is just odd. I have seen a couple of people say they heard something about it in October though.

I mean the car gently stops and then slowly puts it in reverse. Id have been swerving all over the place.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
After being on the Hinds County Grand Jury for seven months last year there isn't a doubt in my mind this is real. Sitting on that jury really opened my eyes on how bad it is in Jackson. I remember there being City of Jackson threads on here and I just shook my head when someone mentioned Jackson isn't that bad or the city can be turned around etc. etc.

Reactions: Spotdawg

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
After being on the Hinds County Grand Jury for seven months last year there isn't a doubt in my mind this is real. Sitting on that jury really opened my eyes on how bad it is in Jackson. I remember there being City of Jackson threads on here and I just shook my head when someone mentioned Jackson isn't that bad or the city can be turned around etc. etc.
Serving on a grand jury tends to do that. I did it in Starkville a couple of year ago. Edited to clarify served on a grand jury, not a drive by. :)

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Fake as in CGI. Again I’m not saying there aren’t bad things but for this to happen in October and no one see this video or hear much about it until yesterday is just odd. I have seen a couple of people say they heard something about it in October though.

I mean the car gently stops and then slowly puts it in reverse. Id have been swerving all over the place.
I'm calling BS on the CGI. It may be a planned work, but hollywood can't do CGI that well. Plus the Tacoma sees something as it backs up.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

Yeah it's probably "fake" like the 38 loaded with fake 38 hollow points I carry in my truck.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I bet it is fake. This really isn't something that's likely to ever happen in Jackson or Nola, or Chicago or Oakland or East St. Louis or ....***

• Haha
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019

Exactly

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I've seen a bunch in Texas and I'm struggling to think of one that isn't in an area that is at least somewhat suspect. The stores themselves are usually pretty nice.
One on Hwy 41 in Kennesaw/Acworth, GA is OK, as well as the one in Adairsville, GA at the 296 exit of I-75.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
What did society do to make them behave that way? They really have no other viable options***
Wait til all the illegal migrants get desperate for food and money. You can triple or quadruple that type of behavior. Did you notice that the car doing the shooting flashed his headlights briefly? I was told by a Memphis Detective that if anybody flashed their headlights at you in Memphis......DO NOT FLASH YOURS BACK AT THEM. Gangs consider it a challenge for them to take you out any way they can. Several gang related murders have occurred that way here. For some of them, it's an initiation to kill a person and that's the way they set them up.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Wait til all the illegal migrants get desperate for food and money. You can triple or quadruple that type of behavior. Did you notice that the car doing the shooting flashed his headlights briefly? I was told by a Memphis Detective that if anybody flashed their headlights at you in Memphis......DO NOT FLASH YOURS BACK AT THEM. Gangs consider it a challenge for them to take you out any way they can. Several gang related murders have occurred that way here. For some of them, it's an initiation to kill a person and that's the way they set them up.
I don't want to shock you but migrants are no different than any other people group. There are some bad apples that get into trouble. There are some really bad ones that run with gangs and deal in violence and misery. Then most are working and trying to figure out how to provide for themselves and their families, and often their families back home. All of the migrants I've come into contact with are too busy working daylight to dark 7 days week to have enough energy to cause any trouble.

This entire post reeks.

Indicator 1: Start off by denigrating some people group that you feel threatened by, likely because you listen to and read crap that stokes that fear.

Indicator 2: While denigrating that group, toss in something that is totally unrelated "food and money". Does it look like the dudes in the rodeo car are trying to get food or money? It does not. However, to that point, what would you do if you were desperate for food and money? Go to your family and tell them that starving is the only option because you wouldn't do anything to tarnish your eagle scout reputation?

Indicator 3: Introduce an urban legend about headlight flashing to ratchet up fear further. Wherever you got that information, you should stop reading/watching. You could attempt a simple google search to see if that is urban legend perpetuated by social media or not before posting as fact.

Someone is scaring you with things that are not true. I suggest finding better news sources. In fact, I suggest that if, when you awoke this morning, you consumed some media that made you more angry, hateful and scared of somebody, or something, that you should block whomever/whatever is doing that to you.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't want to shock you but migrants are no different than any other people group. There are some bad apples that get into trouble. There are some really bad ones that run with gangs and deal in violence and misery. Then most are working and trying to figure out how to provide for themselves and their families, and often their families back home. All of the migrants I've come into contact with are too busy working daylight to dark 7 days week to have enough energy to cause any trouble.

This entire post reeks.

Indicator 1: Start off by denigrating some people group that you feel threatened by, likely because you listen to and read crap that stokes that fear.

Indicator 2: While denigrating that group, toss in something that is totally unrelated "food and money". Does it look like the dudes in the rodeo car are trying to get food or money? It does not. However, to that point, what would you do if you were desperate for food and money? Go to your family and tell them that starving is the only option because you wouldn't do anything to tarnish your eagle scout reputation?

Indicator 3: Introduce an urban legend about headlight flashing to ratchet up fear further. Wherever you got that information, you should stop reading/watching. You could attempt a simple google search to see if that is urban legend perpetuated by social media or not before posting as fact.

Someone is scaring you with things that are not true. I suggest finding better news sources. In fact, I suggest that if, when you awoke this morning, you consumed some media that made you more angry, hateful and scared of somebody, or something, that you should block whomever/whatever is doing that to you.
That super serious Rankin County cop/politician mentality has really grown stale on me. Everything is so serious and so terrible and of course I know somebody who confirmed it for me. Maybe it's because I've been hearing that the world is ending for 30 years, literally. I came of age during the Bush/Clinton election and it started then, as far as I can remember.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That super serious Rankin County cop/politician mentality has really grown stale on me. Everything is so serious and so terrible and of course I know somebody who confirmed it for me. Maybe it's because I've been hearing that the world is ending for 30 years, literally. I came of age during the Bush/Clinton election and it started then, as far as I can remember.
Fear is used to motivate people and we fall for it all the time. I came up when we thought that there was a real possibility that Russia might nuke us off the face of the earth.

Pros: It gave the country and enemy to rally against, which gave the politicians ways to get money for things they wanted and occasionally for their constituents. (You saw a similar unity post 9/11 when the US had a common enemy again.)

Cons: We really might have gotten nuked to oblivion.

So, when there is no common enemy for the country to motivate the sides, we have to create internal fear of others to motivate "us" against "them". Politicians (and more importantly the machines behind them) understand this and provide just such divisiveness. Years in the making. You don't just wake up one day to find that former pro-US people are now on Russia's side and supporting evil authoritarian regimes both within and outside the country.

I'm old enough to remember when presidential candidate Gary Hart had a photo taken of him with a woman who was not his wife, on the back of a yacht called "Risky Business", and that was enough to have the entire country, including his own party, run him out of the race immediately for being a terrible human. Let that sink in in the context of where we are today... :(

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I know that area pretty well. There are a couple of intersections there that the chances of getting shot are probably 1 in 100,000 but the chance of getting hit by somebody running a red light are about 1 in 5 .

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Fear is used to motivate people and we fall for it all the time. I came up when we thought that there was a real possibility that Russia might nuke us off the face of the earth.

Pros: It gave the country and enemy to rally against, which gave the politicians ways to get money for things they wanted and occasionally for their constituents. (You saw a similar unity post 9/11 when the US had a common enemy again.)

Cons: We really might have gotten nuked to oblivion.

So, when there is no common enemy for the country to motivate the sides, we have to create internal fear of others to motivate "us" against "them". Politicians (and more importantly the machines behind them) understand this and provide just such divisiveness. Years in the making. You don't just wake up one day to find that former pro-US people are now on Russia's side and supporting evil authoritarian regimes both within and outside the country.

I'm old enough to remember when presidential candidate Gary Hart had a photo taken of him with a woman who was not his wife, on the back of a yacht called "Risky Business", and that was enough to have the entire country, including his own party, run him out of the race immediately for being a terrible human. Let that sink in in the context of where we are today... :(
IIRC, the yacht was named "Monkey Business."

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Someone is scaring you with things that are not true. I suggest finding better news sources.
Hopefully, you're not suggesting that video is CGI, like another idiot on this tread did. It may a planned "work" though with no live ammo used.

Agree about the flashing headlights urban legend, that's been around since the 70s/80s.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Jacktown is no more dangerous than any other southern city. The problems with the Metro in general are these:

- No cool downtown centralized area;
- Lack of affordable public parks and outdoor recreation options;
- No local or state pride, i.e. sense of community, etc.

I don't know the answer, but it stems overall from the people. You have the race stuff, we all know about it, but it's no different than anywhere else. Problems are that the rich don't invest back into Jackson, instead they leave, maybe due to the reasons stated above, so no real cool area springs up and thrives. The middle class just moves around to the next up and coming area. Poor folks then tail along behind trying to keep up and go to the 'muh good skools', then the middle class moves on.

And since there's nothing to do, you have to create your own bubble by getting involved in social shlt, and spending shltpiles of money on land, a new cookie cutter modern house to do your socializin', pools, country clubs, boats, side-by-sides, tractors, hunting leases, whatever.

If you're into those things and have access to the capital, whether it's your friends or family, the Jackson Metro can be your paradise. But it doesn't add up to growth. It adds up to stuff staying the same, which is fine for a while and seemingly in the moment, but not long-term.

Mississippi people continue to blame things on MuH cRiMe!!!111, but Memphis, Birmingham, Mobile, New Orleans, Little Rock......they all have crime and similar dynamics, and they've all figured out how to not be just wastelands. And we have an advantage, by being the main business and governmental hub for the state of Mississippi, that other declining areas like Shreveport don't have.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login