OT: Long Road trip looking for book recommendations

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I am planning a long road trip later this year and have a few credits on Audible and am looking for some good listens on the trip.

I love Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy, The Potter books, the Hobbit books, and have read all those, I really liked The Martian. I have read Steven King, a few James Patterson, and Dan Brown (though his books are a little illogical and not strong in the story). I listened to the Lincoln Lawyer on my last road trip and was a little disappointed.

So I am looking for something that I and my wife could listen to. Mystery, Fantasy, Sci-Fi would be the main genres.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I am planning a long road trip later this year and have a few credits on Audible and am looking for some good listens on the trip.

I love Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy, The Potter books, the Hobbit books, and have read all those,

Possibly a dumb question but have you listened to the BBC LOTR dramatization by Ian Holm, Michael Hordern, Robert Stephens, Bill Nighy, and John Le Mesurier?

All three titles are on Audible.

Reactions: aTotal360

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
World War Z. I typically despise sci-fi and anything to do with zombies, but the cast they put together to read this book is awesome. I’m used to most books having one person read them. They had a full cast and won a few awards for doing it that way.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Bowdawg

Jan 8, 2023

I love Michael Crichton and Tom Clancy, The Potter books, the Hobbit books, and have read all those, I really liked The Martian. I have read Steven King, a few James Patterson, and Dan Brown (though his books are a little illogical and not strong in the story). I listened to the Lincoln Lawyer on my last road trip and was a little disappointed.

So I am looking for something that I and my wife could listen to. Mystery, Fantasy, Sci-Fi would be the main genres.
Start the Jack Carr books. It begins with the terminal list. The newest one, Red Dead Mourning, just released last month. You won’t regret. It.

Bowdawg

Jan 8, 2023
You can read that one to start but, the first several books are integrated heavily in the context of it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Your mob buddies aren't gonna like this...

Reactions: Anon1704414204

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Since you mentioned the Martian, might check out Project Hail Mary (same author). I enjoyed it.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Dune is an excellent listen. They have actors playing all the roles and it is extremely easy to follow.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I recently listened to Ready Player One and it was a helluva lot better than the movie. If you want some 80-90s nostalgia, give it a shot.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
I would not read Jack Carr out of order. Awesome series. If you like Jack Carr, I also recommend:
Brad Thor - a must. Start with Lions of Lucerne
Brian Andrews & Jeffrey Wilson
Dalton Fury
Nick Petrie

These are all military operator genre but they're full of action.

Reactions: Grove Sh.tter

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
On
World War Z. I typically despise sci-fi and anything to do with zombies, but the cast they put together to read this book is awesome. I’m used to most books having one person read them. They had a full cast and won a few awards for doing it that way.
One of my favorite books of all time. The movie made me very angry.

• Haha
Reactions: DerHntr

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Side note: if you have a library card (I think from any public library) you can get an app called “Libby” and download digital rentals at no charge. This includes a decent selection of audio books.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
Side note: if you have a library card (I think from any public library) you can get an app called “Libby” and download digital rentals at no charge. This includes a decent selection of audio books.
This. It makes my 1.5 hour commutes in ATL bearable. I have 3 cards. Another useful website is www.bookseriesinorder.com. It lists all the books in order by author or character. He does really good recommendations too.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

The audio book is fantastic. It’s being made into a movie right now with Ryan Gosling starring.

Reactions: Chesusdog

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
Morgan rice kings and sorcerers series is pretty good.
also a quirky kids series I enjoyed was Brandon Sanderson’s Alcatraz vs the evil Librarians

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
If you liked The Martian, Project Hail Mary is by the same author and is a fantastic audiobook. Daemon by Daniel Suarez and it's sequel Freedom are both a good listen.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I recently listened to Ready Player One and it was a helluva lot better than the movie. If you want some 80-90s nostalgia, give it a shot.

Just, whatever you do, don't pick up the sequel. As someone who genuinely enjoyed RP1 for the fluffy nostalgia ride it is, RP2 is... just 17ing awful.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

Listen to the S Town Podcast if you have not. You will not regret it.

Reactions: Spotdawg

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Seeing all these recs for Ready Player One, I might have to pick that up (probably in tangible form).

A few years ago my mother's book club read it, probably around the time the film was released. She asked me if I had read it and was shocked when I said no. I thought it was an odd choice for them, for I thought it was just another YA cash grab.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
If interested in an unexpected take on events in the last 5-8 years, try "Morning After the Revolution," by Nellie Bowles, a politically-progressive lesbian former NYTimes reporter who was personally and professionally ostracized/vilified when she started asking actual journalistic questions about the 2020 riots and other causes/movements she supported (and still supports in principle) pre-mob.