OT: Longshoreman strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Don’t know how much it’s been on the news but as of midnight longshoremen from Maine to Texas are on strike.

If this drags out it’s going to cause serious supply issues.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I suffered through a strike years ago when I was importing a lot from China. This can and will put a lot of businesses out of business The average person doesn’t realize how little inventory companies carry and how dependent we are on a smooth running supply chain. Tell your family to go buy Christmas now because if this drags out Christmas shopping will be a free for all.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
And it comes at a horrible time with a presidential election. The Biden administration has said they will not use the Taft-Hartley Act which basically prevents a strike by initiating a “cooling off” period of 90 days so that negotiations can continue. They don’t want to do it because they’re scared it will lose them union votes in the election.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Don’t know how much it’s been on the news but as of midnight longshoremen from Maine to Texas are on strike.

i work at UPS.... when that happened around 2020 or 2021 it wrecked crazy havoc with us.. it wasn't a strike then, i can't even remember what it was... when the ports finally became open we got slammed for weeks...

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

We all know why it's not being covered much by the mainstream media.

The strike is potentially catastrophic to an economy that's already teetering.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And it comes at a horrible time with a presidential election. The Biden administration has said they will not use the Taft-Hartley Act which basically prevents a strike by initiating a “cooling off” period of 90 days so that negotiations can continue. They don’t want to do it because they’re scared it will lose them union votes in the election.
Really a chickenshit move by Biden. Billions of tax dollars flow into these ports. Just ******** that they can be held hostage by a union.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The ironic thing is they've already lost most of those union votes.

This reeks of "I'm not picking the Jewish guy for VP because I might piss off the Muslims in Michigan."

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
The Union head did an interview and I know an ego maniac when I see one. That guy is a gangster (in a bad way). If any of us walked in a business and talked like he does we’d get an extortion charge. I’m all for workers rights but my god that guy is a prick.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Union head did an interview and I know an ego maniac when I see one. That guy is a gangster (in a bad way). If any of us walked in a business and talked like he does we’d get an extortion charge. I’m all for workers rights but my god that guy is a prick.
The union was demanding a 77% pay increase and a guarantee of zero automation at ports over the term of the new union deal.

• Wow
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login